Could Godzilla Vs Ultraman ever happen?

For the discussion of Shin Godzilla, Godzilla -1.0, the anime trilogy, Godzilla Singular Point and Toho produced and distributed films after 2015. Includes US movies financed by Toho like Detective Pikachu.
Voyager
Keizer

Re: Could Godzilla Vs Ultraman ever happen?

Post by Voyager »

LegendZilla wrote: Wed Apr 14, 2021 12:19 pm
Voyager wrote: Wed Apr 14, 2021 12:39 am
LegendZilla wrote: Mon Feb 01, 2021 12:56 am I would appreciate if you could all refrain from bringing up Jiras.
Got a grudge against Jirahs? Did he harm you?
Keep your snarky remarks to yourself. What I am saying is that cheap knockoffs don’t count.
"Cheap Knockoff"? Jirahs is an homage. Ultraman even respects Jirahs like no other kaiju after defeating it.
For Emperor and Empire!

Zasraniec
Monarch Researcher

Post by Zasraniec »

Could it happen? Sure but I doubt it. Should it happen? Absolutely!

Vakanai
EDF Instructor

Post by Vakanai »

MechaGoji Bro7503 wrote: Wed Apr 14, 2021 6:00 am
Vakanai wrote: Wed Apr 14, 2021 12:16 am
MechaGoji Bro7503 wrote: Tue Apr 13, 2021 7:55 am I believe it'll happen one day, the franchises are destined to. Now, I hope the first crossover is in tokusatsu, mainly to honor Eiji Tsuburaya's hand in crafting these two icons of Japan.
I don't see Godzilla going back to suitmation. Especially not in a movie. So movie Godzilla vs movie Ultraman, it's going to be CGI. You can hope what you want, but it'd be hope wasted.

Also, I don't think it's destined either. I mean, I'd like for it to happen, and it certainly could happen, but it's no done deal. As with most things, guarantees aren't being offered. They're own by two different competing studios. It's like saying Batman and Spider-Man will crossover on the big screen in the next few decades, I don't think WB or Disney would play nice. Now, are Toho and Tsuburaya Productions like WB and Disney? I have no clue. They may be willing to collaborate more. But we can't assume that they will or must.
I'd want Godzilla to only go back to suitmation for this particular crossover, the new Ultra shows and projects use toku and they look great. Nah, I don't think it's hope wasted. Especially in a Japanese project, a battle between Godzilla & Ultras is bound to have one encounter be in tokusatsu. Be it a special event, or an actual film. Every other main Godzilla project can remain CGI.

Not destined? Godzilla fought the Evas of all things, who would've saw that coming were it not for Anno's work in the Godzilla franchise? Sure, Godzilla and Ultraman are from two different studios, but they share a same creator. That's my whole reason :P
It being a Japanese project no longer is a guarantee that they have to have one encounter in tokusatsu/suitmation. Godzilla has been done in CGI solely in the past decade outside of very small specialty projects. Ultraman is getting a big CGI movie. Ultraman as a television franchise is still going to rely on tokusatsu, but film in Japan is experiencing a change over, and any Godzilla vs Ultraman project is going to be a film (or a ride). The chances of the two going up against each other in suits in the modern era is getting slimmer and slimmer every year. The odds of them being done in CG only is only rising.

Anno was able to bring Goji vs NGE to fruition, but that doesn't mean anything. Ultraman is a different franchise, a different studio, where different deals would have to be made. It's possible, but nothing in business is guaranteed. They're beholden to their bottom line, not appeasing us. If the two can't agree how to split profits, it won't happen.

And sharing the same creator means nothing. Darkseid and Thanos share Jack Kirby, but AT&T/WB and Disney are never going to team up to have the two butt heads on the big screen.

Added in 2 minutes 48 seconds:
Zasraniec wrote: Wed Apr 14, 2021 12:45 pm Could it happen? Sure but I doubt it. Should it happen? Absolutely!
This. Like everyone else here I want it to happen. But I'm under no belief that my desire to see it happen means that it will happen.
I unapologetically, wholeheartedly, and without a doubt hate Godzilla vs Kong.

goji89
Sazer

Post by goji89 »

I sure as Hell hope not.

I think Godzilla Vs everyone is getting ridiculous.

People want him to fight every giant that ever appeared in cinema. I don't think we need it, hell if he fought everyone then you'll get Godzilla vs Barkley all over again damn it.

Vakanai
EDF Instructor

Post by Vakanai »

goji89 wrote: Wed Apr 14, 2021 6:00 pm I sure as Hell hope not.

People want him to fight every giant that ever appeared in cinema. I don't think we need it, hell if he fought everyone then you'll get Godzilla vs Barkley all over again damn it.
1. Godzilla vs Barkley was a humorous commercial and is a good giggle even now.
2. What's wrong with Godzilla getting involved in a crossover every once in a rare, rare blue moon?

MechaGoji Bro7503
Administrator
Administrator

Post by MechaGoji Bro7503 »

Vakanai wrote: Wed Apr 14, 2021 3:52 pm
It being a Japanese project no longer is a guarantee that they have to have one encounter in tokusatsu/suitmation. Godzilla has been done in CGI solely in the past decade outside of very small specialty projects. Ultraman is getting a big CGI movie. Ultraman as a television franchise is still going to rely on tokusatsu, but film in Japan is experiencing a change over, and any Godzilla vs Ultraman project is going to be a film (or a ride). The chances of the two going up against each other in suits in the modern era is getting slimmer and slimmer every year. The odds of them being done in CG only is only rising.

Anno was able to bring Goji vs NGE to fruition, but that doesn't mean anything. Ultraman is a different franchise, a different studio, where different deals would have to be made. It's possible, but nothing in business is guaranteed. They're beholden to their bottom line, not appeasing us. If the two can't agree how to split profits, it won't happen.

And sharing the same creator means nothing. Darkseid and Thanos share Jack Kirby, but AT&T/WB and Disney are never going to team up to have the two butt heads on the big screen.

Sharing the same creator does indeed mean something, but these characters they aren't Marvel or DC.

You yourself said toku has still been used for Godzilla's special, small projects. Ultra is still using toku for everything else besides Shin, I don't see how a little toku project with the two before whatever big event could happen is out of the realm of possibility.

Yeah, no durr, Ultraman is a different franchise than NGE. What's the argument here? Anno has worked on all three of these, and soon Kamen Rider, who fought Ultraman once. I have problems with the new GvK's story, but it's making a ton of money and gathering attention from all over, I'm sure that's giving Toho some ideas.

I never said it was about appeasing the fans, I simply said it's
possible for the two to meet, and I wouldn't be surprised if they ever did. Come on, they'd encounter each other in tokusatsu at some point. They've crossed over in old stage plays willy nilly, sure those aren't films, but it'd be a fun as hell crossover. Godzilla & the Ultras are more popular than ever, and this is the only crossover that I see happening organically.
I'm not a guy that wants Godzilla to fight this guy and that guy, but this is something that could celebrate both franchises and Eiji Tsuburaya, since if it wasn't for his work, these two wouldn't have been able to come to life. It's really just the legacy I want to see meet, not the sake of seeing them battle for a few hours.

CGI or toku, it would be a special event. If GvK is anything to go by, embracing the craziness and heart of these characters could make something truly special. Toho & TsuPro can decide how it's done, my bottom line is this isn't some crazy idea. Whenever TsuPro is in a comfortable state. It can happen, and probably will some point in the future, whenever that is.
"Bang on, mate.", - Murdoc Niccals 2018.

"Right, wrong... Nobody's got a clue what the difference is in this town. So I'm gonna have more fun... and live crazier than any of 'em." - Goro Majima.

Our G-Force a Kaiju Podcast: https://podcasts.apple.com/us/podcast/g ... 1509725595

For unique discussions on Ultraman, Godzilla, and much more check out my channel Tiger Drop Films: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCng0uL ... VCg/videos

Jermobooka
Gotengo Officer

Post by Jermobooka »

MechaGoji Bro7503 wrote: Fri Apr 16, 2021 7:49 am MGB7503 destroying Vakanai with logic and facts
I am 80% certain that there will be a Shin Godzilla x Shin Ultraman event. Whether it be a film, short film, ride, or what have you. I’ll genuinely be surprised if it doesn’t happen
:Mechagodzilla74: :Mechagodzilla74: :Mechagodzilla74: :Gigan: :Gigan: :Gigan: :Hedorah: :Hedorah: :Hedorah:

tbeasley
EDF Instructor

Post by tbeasley »

Vakanai wrote: Wed Apr 14, 2021 3:52 pmAnd sharing the same creator means nothing. Darkseid and Thanos share Jack Kirby, but AT&T/WB and Disney are never going to team up to have the two butt heads on the big screen.
Nerd alert - Jack Kirby created Darkseid, Jim Starlin created Thanos ('influenced' by Darkseid, but still).

Dyrakro
Interpol Agent

Post by Dyrakro »

I absolutely share this opinion. This addiction for crossovers so many people have nowadays, I really don't get it. Like some years ago I also wondered what a Godzilla vs Ultraman or Godzilla vs Gamera would be like... but actually I never felt like supporting any of it.

goji89
Sazer

Post by goji89 »

Dramorg wrote: Fri Apr 16, 2021 1:15 pm

I absolutely share this opinion. This addiction for crossovers so many people have nowadays, I really don't get it. Like some years ago I also wondered what a Godzilla vs Ultraman or Godzilla vs Gamera would be like... but actually I never felt like supporting any of it.
My man.

I don't see why an Ultrasound man V Godzilla crossover is warranted. Like I don't even find it remotely interesting. I rather see Gamera first than Ultraman and if it never happens I'll be completely fine with it.

Jermobooka
Gotengo Officer

Post by Jermobooka »

goji89 wrote: Fri Apr 16, 2021 3:06 pm

My man.

I don't see why an Ultrasound man V Godzilla crossover is warranted. Like I don't even find it remotely interesting. I rather see Gamera first than Ultraman and if it never happens I'll be completely fine with it.
Well of course Ultrasound man vs Godzilla would be lame. Ultraman vs Godzilla would be badass though ;)
:Mechagodzilla74: :Mechagodzilla74: :Mechagodzilla74: :Gigan: :Gigan: :Gigan: :Hedorah: :Hedorah: :Hedorah:

goji89
Sazer

Post by goji89 »

Jermobooka wrote: Sat Apr 17, 2021 7:04 am
goji89 wrote: Fri Apr 16, 2021 3:06 pm

My man.

Well of course Ultrasound man vs Godzilla would be lame. Ultraman vs Godzilla would be badass though ;)
Maybe, but Ultrasound man would know when a kaiju is pregnant and not beat the crap out if it. They needed ultrasound man in Pacific Rim and G98
Last edited by goji89 on Sat Apr 17, 2021 8:34 am, edited 1 time in total.

Vakanai
EDF Instructor

Post by Vakanai »

MechaGoji Bro7503 wrote: Fri Apr 16, 2021 7:49 amSharing the same creator does indeed mean something, but these characters they aren't Marvel or DC.
No, but they're still owned by different studios/corporations that are technically in competition with each other. That's not something that should just be waved off as unimportant.
You yourself said toku has still been used for Godzilla's special, small projects. Ultra is still using toku for everything else besides Shin, I don't see how a little toku project with the two before whatever big event could happen is out of the realm of possibility.
Because it's the two biggest kaiju icons of Japan - the notion of anything between the two in the modern era being a "little" project is incredibly unlikely. I wouldn't count on it, not even remotely likely. And that decreases the likelihood of it being toku by a lot.
Yeah, no durr, Ultraman is a different franchise than NGE. What's the argument here? Anno has worked on all three of these, and soon Kamen Rider, who fought Ultraman once. I have problems with the new GvK's story, but it's making a ton of money and gathering attention from all over, I'm sure that's giving Toho some ideas.

GvK doesn't involve corporate negotiations over the use of one character though - Kong without the "King" is public domain. Anno working on something doesn't automatically smooth over all the corporate dealing that'd be involved. They could just decide they'd make more money doing a Godzilla project with Jet Jaguar as an Ultraman expy, using only characters they own. No need to work over some profit sharing/splitting contract.
I never said it was about appeasing the fans, I simply said it's
possible for the two to meet, and I wouldn't be surprised if they ever did. Come on, they'd encounter each other in tokusatsu at some point. They've crossed over in old stage plays willy nilly, sure those aren't films, but it'd be a fun as hell crossover. Godzilla & the Ultras are more popular than ever, and this is the only crossover that I see happening organically.
You didn't say it was possible, you said it was destined. It isn't. Oh it's very, very possible, but it's also still very possible that it'll never happen. I never said it wasn't possible, I'm just trying to say that a crossover isn't guaranteed, and that the likelihood of it being done with guys in suits is far less likely than it being done in CG. You say "they'd encounter each other in tokusatsu at some point" but there's nothing to back that up as anything more than a hope and dream right now. I hope it happens too, but if it doesn't happen, or if it only happens in CG, or if it only happens as some really polished fanfilm, then it is what it is.
I'm not a guy that wants Godzilla to fight this guy and that guy, but this is something that could celebrate both franchises and Eiji Tsuburaya, since if it wasn't for his work, these two wouldn't have been able to come to life. It's really just the legacy I want to see meet, not the sake of seeing them battle for a few hours.
I agree, I want to see it too, and the legacy of Tsuburaya would be celebrated if it was done. And maybe we'll get lucky and it'll happen. But maybe it won't.
But it'd be a great thing to see.
CGI or toku, it would be a special event. If GvK is anything to go by, embracing the craziness and heart of these characters could make something truly special. Toho & TsuPro can decide how it's done, my bottom line is this isn't some crazy idea. Whenever TsuPro is in a comfortable state. It can happen, and probably will some point in the future, whenever that is.
I never made it out to be a crazy idea. It isn't crazy. And it can happen. I just disagree a bit on that "probably will" portion is all.

Added in 2 minutes 40 seconds:
Jermobooka wrote: Fri Apr 16, 2021 9:40 am
MechaGoji Bro7503 wrote: Fri Apr 16, 2021 7:49 am MGB7503 destroying Vakanai with logic and facts
I am 80% certain that there will be a Shin Godzilla x Shin Ultraman event. Whether it be a film, short film, ride, or what have you. I’ll genuinely be surprised if it doesn’t happen
It's weird, you claim he destroyed me "with logic and facts" but all I read was dreams and hopes, which certainly didn't destroy me by any stretch. But people read what they want to I guess.

Added in 1 minute 21 seconds:
tbeasley wrote: Fri Apr 16, 2021 11:39 am
Vakanai wrote: Wed Apr 14, 2021 3:52 pmAnd sharing the same creator means nothing. Darkseid and Thanos share Jack Kirby, but AT&T/WB and Disney are never going to team up to have the two butt heads on the big screen.
Nerd alert - Jack Kirby created Darkseid, Jim Starlin created Thanos ('influenced' by Darkseid, but still).
You NERD! :P

My bad, always been more of a DC fan, not as read up on Thanos.

Added in 2 minutes 4 seconds:
I wanted to post that all yesterday by the way, but some darned 403 error kept me from doing anything here...

Denis
Monsterland Worker

Post by Denis »

Had to bump, but I feel like after getting the ride, honestly I would prefer a crossover with Ultraman with that design, with a perhaps an original Ultraman design. However, I do think getting a Shin Godzilla vs Shin Ultraman crossover is still more likely though.

Jermobooka
Gotengo Officer

Post by Jermobooka »

Hell yeah it can.

The best way possible would be a Toku film with big budget and modern suits ‘n effects. The story would be something like “The SSP learns of an accident with a nuclear sub that mutated a creature into a horrifying beast that is terrorizing Japan, so they go out to stop it”.

The big fight at the end would be pretty brutal, with Ultra coming out on top after winning a beam lock with his Spacium Beam against Goji’s Atomic Breath.

Denis
Monsterland Worker

Post by Denis »

Jermobooka wrote: Fri Jul 09, 2021 8:02 am Hell yeah it can.

The best way possible would be a Toku film with big budget and modern suits ‘n effects. The story would be something like “The SSP learns of an accident with a nuclear sub that mutated a creature into a horrifying beast that is terrorizing Japan, so they go out to stop it”.

The big fight at the end would be pretty brutal, with Ultra coming out on top after winning a beam lock with his Spacium Beam against Goji’s Atomic Breath.
I personally think it would be a draw, if not a Godzilla victory, I kinda doubt they will make Godzilla lose in that film.

Cryptid_Liker
Xilien Halfling

Post by Cryptid_Liker »

Shin vs Shin ride at Universal Studios Cool Japan.

JessIAm
Samurai

Post by JessIAm »

Well...

Spoilers for Godzilla: Singular Point
Spoiler:
Someone mentioned the Singular Points in Godzilla could be a portal to other dimensions. This could allow the Ultraverse and the Godzillaverse to cross over.
I have things I'd like to see in a Godzilla vs. Ultraman, but since this thread is about if the crossover could happen, I won't state them.

LegendZilla
Sazer

Post by LegendZilla »

JessIAm wrote: Fri Jul 09, 2021 8:16 pm Well...

Spoiler:
Someone mentioned the Singular Points in Godzilla could be a portal to other dimensions. This could allow the Ultraverse and the Godzillaverse to cross over.
I have things I'd like to see in a Godzilla vs. Ultraman, but since this thread is about if the crossover could happen, I won't state them.
^How come you didn’t post this in my multiverse thread? Not that it doesn’t add to the possibility of a crossover one day.

JessIAm
Samurai

Post by JessIAm »

LegendZilla wrote: Sat Jul 10, 2021 3:16 pm
JessIAm wrote: Fri Jul 09, 2021 8:16 pm Well...

Spoiler:
^How come you didn’t post this in my multiverse thread? Not that it doesn’t add to the possibility of a crossover one day.
Because this thread is about Godzilla and Ultraman? I don't know why that's a problem.
Last edited by JessIAm on Sat Jul 10, 2021 5:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.