Maser Weapons in the Reiwa Era

For the discussion of Shin Godzilla, Godzilla -1.0, the anime trilogy, Godzilla Singular Point and Toho produced and distributed films after 2015. Includes US movies financed by Toho like Detective Pikachu.
LegendZilla
Sazer

Maser Weapons in the Reiwa Era

Post by LegendZilla »

Hi there folks, LegendZilla here. Right now I would like to discuss how you think another staple of the franchise should be utilized in this new era. Rather than talking about how specific kaiju should be handled, I am going to bring up the iconic Maser canons. Over the years, there has been a vast array of different maser-based weaponry. In the Showa era we had the type 66 Maser canon, while the Heisei era saw maser weapons diversify (or four if you count the laser canons in 1984). Examples of include the standard MBT-92, the double-barreled MBAW-93 and the Low temperature-based DAG MB96. In addition to land-based maser weapons, we briefly saw an aerial variety in 1992.

In the Reiwa era, I would like to see more different variety of Maser weapons once more. Aforementioned Flying masers should make a return, maybe a triple maser canon and perhaps even maser-mounted battle ships could be used in battles at sea. For the big guns, they could even produce an orbital satellite-based maser canon. Do you have any ideas for different types of maser-weapons? If you do, let me know.
Last edited by LegendZilla on Sun Jan 17, 2021 7:44 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Arbok
Kingdom Mikado
Kingdom Mikado

Re: Maser Weapons in the Reiwa Era

Post by Arbok »

Personally, I don't feel like masers would be a good fit for the Reiwa era following Shin Godzilla. I think the series benefits from more grounded weaponry, rather than military hardware that drifts into the science fiction realm.

That said, if they had to return, I guess I wouldn't mind seeing an update to the MBT-92 design. If they wanted to update it, maybe drones could be used to help the MBT-92 with targeting (kind of eyes in the sky to help them lock on to targets as they advance).
If it bites... don't mess with it!

LegendZilla
Sazer

Post by LegendZilla »

Arbok wrote: Mon Jan 18, 2021 1:47 pm Personally, I don't feel like masers would be a good fit for the Reiwa era following Shin Godzilla. I think the series benefits from more grounded weaponry, rather than military hardware that drifts into the science fiction realm.

That said, if they had to return, I guess I wouldn't mind seeing an update to the MBT-92 design. If they wanted to update it, maybe drones could be used to help the MBT-92 with targeting (kind of eyes in the sky to help them lock on to targets as they advance).
Maybe masers shouldn’t be added right away, but rather let the universe start out relatively grounded, only to embrace more fantastical elements with the passage of time. The MCU went down that path, so would it be an innately bad idea if Godzilla did the same?

shadowgigan
Futurian

Post by shadowgigan »

I'd rather not. For some reason I think masers would only work using traditional tokusatsu effects. Something about the crudeness of those beams that account for the maser's charm.

LegendZilla
Sazer

Post by LegendZilla »

shadowgigan wrote: Tue Jan 19, 2021 10:34 am I'd rather not. For some reason I think masers would only work using traditional tokusatsu effects. Something about the crudeness of those beams that account for the maser's charm.
Oh please, that’s like saying Kaiju in general can’t work unless they’re men in rubber suits.
Last edited by LegendZilla on Fri Jan 22, 2021 9:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.

JAGzilla
Sazer

Post by JAGzilla »

I'm all for it. Masers and other sci-fi/futuristic weaponry are beloved staples of the genre and it wouldn't feel right if they never turned up again. They make 'sense', anyway; you've got these monsters running around and conventional weapons are useless, so of course militaries are going to start throwing resources into promising new technologies in hopes of staying competitive against their new enemies.
"Stop wars and no more accidents. I guess that's all I can ask." -Akio

LegendZilla
Sazer

Post by LegendZilla »

JAGzilla wrote: Fri Jan 22, 2021 8:33 am I'm all for it. Masers and other sci-fi/futuristic weaponry are beloved staples of the genre and it wouldn't feel right if they never turned up again. They make 'sense', anyway; you've got these monsters running around and conventional weapons are useless, so of course militaries are going to start throwing resources into promising new technologies in hopes of staying competitive against their new enemies.
Why is it that people here think that Godzilla and other Kaiju are compatible with and can adapt to ever-evolving film technology, yet not certain types of fictional attack vehicles? It’s a double standard if you ask me. If you could come up with a good counter-argument to the naysayers yourself, I’d appreciate it.
Last edited by LegendZilla on Fri Jan 22, 2021 9:39 pm, edited 2 times in total.

edgaguirus
Keizer

Post by edgaguirus »

With the advancement of drone technology, I could see maser drones being sent to attack kaiju. They offer the advantage of increased firepower and less risk to personal.
The secret of life is honesty and fair dealing. If you can fake that, you've got it made.

The strength of the vampire is that people will not believe in him.