Your hopes for Godzilla: Singular Point

For the discussion of Shin Godzilla, Godzilla -1.0, the anime trilogy, Godzilla Singular Point and Toho produced and distributed films after 2015. Includes US movies financed by Toho like Detective Pikachu.
tbeasley
EDF Instructor

Re: Your hopes for Godzilla: Singular Point

Post by tbeasley »

o.supreme wrote:The IDW comics series Rulers of Earth had a very robust use of Toho Kaiju. If we get that in this series, I'd be all for it.
Always thought the first batch of monsters IDW announced (Godzilla, Anguirus, Battra, Destoroyah, Gigan, Hedorah, King Ghidorah, Kumonga, Mechagodzilla, Mothra, Rodan, SpaceGodzilla, Titanosaurus) offered a good bit of variety for any kind of series.

Vakanai
EDF Instructor

Post by Vakanai »

vastatosaurus wrote:
DirektorSplennic wrote:
Vakanai wrote: Slim to none. I think that rumor was just a misunderstanding of the World of Godzilla marketing strategy.
A misunderstanding that still has people on this forum convinced some new live action Toho cinematic universe is currently in the works.
Wait, what is a misunderstanding about World of Godzilla?
I thought Toho was almost certain in an interview that they are gonna make a new cinematic universe.
The name "World of Godzilla" is just a provisional name though.
https://www.slashfilm.com/godzilla-shared-universe/
The misunderstanding is the assumption or translation of the interview. World of Godzilla seems to be no more than a marketing strategy, not an intended cinematic universe. It's widespread accidental misunderstanding.

Added in 6 minutes 43 seconds:
cmdmstudios wrote:With the large cast of human characters, I kinda hope it's handled like The Clone Wars or Justice League Unlimited, where we can get 2-4 episode story arcs that follow certain characters and kaiju. Treat it like the Showa era films, but with more connectivity, and maybe some background details in each arc leading up to the season finale.

As for kaiju, I'm hoping to see some classics return along with some of the more obscure faces(Yog trio, Gargantuas, Varan, etc.) while also introducing some new enemies.
Looking up the Yog trio, I realize I really need to see Space Amoeba someday.
And I especially want to see Kamoebas return, since it's the closest we'll ever get to Godzilla vs Gamera.
I unapologetically, wholeheartedly, and without a doubt hate Godzilla vs Kong.

Voyager
Keizer

Post by Voyager »

DirektorSplennic wrote:
VoyagerGoji wrote:I’m praying to the Toho Gods that Megalon and Titanosaurus make their long-awaited return.
Off topic but I love the new profile pic.
Thanks.
For Emperor and Empire!

Rody
Xilien Halfling

Post by Rody »

I could mention what monsters I want to see, what tone or style I'd like from the story, what artist will compose the soundtrack, how many episodes I'd like... But honestly, this early into the project, I'm just hoping we get a compelling, engaging series with high-quality animation.
Whatever it is, just please let it be GOOD.

vastatosaurus
JXSDF Technician

Post by vastatosaurus »

Vakanai wrote:
vastatosaurus wrote: Wait, what is a misunderstanding about World of Godzilla?
I thought Toho was almost certain in an interview that they are gonna make a new cinematic universe.
The misunderstanding is the assumption or translation of the interview. World of Godzilla seems to be no more than a marketing strategy, not an intended cinematic universe. It's widespread accidental misunderstanding.
I think that's just your personal opinion. The original article in Japanese has the same context: "Toho is interested in making shared cinematic universe with Godzilla franchise."

Added in 37 seconds:
https://style.nikkei.com/article/DGXMZO ... 00/?page=2

Vakanai
EDF Instructor

Post by Vakanai »

vastatosaurus wrote:
Vakanai wrote:
vastatosaurus wrote: Wait, what is a misunderstanding about World of Godzilla?
I think that's just your personal opinion. The original article in Japanese has the same context: "Toho is interested in making shared cinematic universe with Godzilla franchise."

Added in 37 seconds:
https://style.nikkei.com/article/DGXMZO ... 00/?page=2
Not just my personal opinion - others here have stated it and/or said that the reporter got it wrong. Enough so that I'm more in agreement with them. I definitely didn't come up with it. But it's hardly clear, so to each their own.

vastatosaurus
JXSDF Technician

Post by vastatosaurus »

Vakanai wrote:Not just my personal opinion - others here have stated it and/or said that the reporter got it wrong. Enough so that I'm more in agreement with them. I definitely didn't come up with it. But it's hardly clear, so to each their own.

Okey then. I wanna check that thread you are saying though. To see which part exactly people pointed out.
Last edited by vastatosaurus on Fri Oct 09, 2020 7:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Vakanai
EDF Instructor

Post by Vakanai »

vastatosaurus wrote:
Vakanai wrote:Not just my personal opinion - others here have stated it and/or said that the reporter got it wrong. Enough so that I'm more in agreement with them. I definitely didn't come up with it. But it's hardly clear, so to each their own.

Okey then. I wanna check that thread you are saying though. To see which part exactly people pointed out.
I think it might have come up in the thread announcing it? Or maybe one of the hopes/fears threads right after. I mean this was like a year ago. Two years ago? It was discussed, some people said such and I figured they were right, but I didn't bookmark it. Maybe someone else remembers where this was talked about?

It was somewhere in this forum. I guess a search for World of Godzilla posts should eventually bring it up.

(I'm too lazy to search, and I'm not ashamed to admit it)

GojiDog
G-Grasper

Post by GojiDog »

I want it to look amazing, like the best examples of eastern animation.
White Male Genocide is necessary.

Kill all white men.

Gigantis
Sazer

Post by Gigantis »

I wanna see what Godzilla's existence means for the science community. If this takes place in present day, (and i'm gonna assume it does) then the very idea of a kaiju like Godzilla existing would absolutely kill every known fact of science since nothing that big could possibly exist. Actually i'm shocked no other Godzilla media's touched upon this.

A guy who randomly stumbled upon this place one day, invested much too much time into it, and now appears to be stuck here for all eternity..and strangely enough, i do not regret it!

Gomi: Ninja Monster
G-Force Personnel

Post by Gomi: Ninja Monster »

Gigantis wrote:I wanna see what Godzilla's existence means for the science community. If this takes place in present day, (and i'm gonna assume it does) then the very idea of a kaiju like Godzilla existing would absolutely kill every known fact of science since nothing that big could possibly exist. Actually i'm shocked no other Godzilla media's touched upon this.
You know, that's an angle I really wanna see too. That would be a pretty hefty order though, upending the majority of physical sciences would take a lot of very smart and informed writing to pull off convincingly, or else it would just feel like a throwaway "This is beyond science" moment.

Gigantis
Sazer

Post by Gigantis »

I kinda hope Godzilla actually lands a killing blow on another monster with his teeth. Most of his fatalities involve his atomic breath or some other energy based attacks, so another physical finisher like from Raids Again would be awesome!

A guy who randomly stumbled upon this place one day, invested much too much time into it, and now appears to be stuck here for all eternity..and strangely enough, i do not regret it!

shadowgigan
Futurian

Post by shadowgigan »

Gomi: Ninja Monster wrote:
Gigantis wrote:I wanna see what Godzilla's existence means for the science community. If this takes place in present day, (and i'm gonna assume it does) then the very idea of a kaiju like Godzilla existing would absolutely kill every known fact of science since nothing that big could possibly exist. Actually i'm shocked no other Godzilla media's touched upon this.
You know, that's an angle I really wanna see too. That would be a pretty hefty order though, upending the majority of physical sciences would take a lot of very smart and informed writing to pull off convincingly, or else it would just feel like a throwaway "This is beyond science" moment.
I feel like we've gotten touches of this throughout the series, for example Godzilla 2000 and Shin Godzilla. While these films raise some interesting points, I'm not sure how a whole series revolving around the subject would work.

Gigantis
Sazer

Post by Gigantis »

When it comes to tone, i feel like it should be in moderation. I don't want late Showa era camp but at the same time i don't want it to some grimdark levels of tone.

Godzilla2020
GPN Volunteer

Post by Godzilla2020 »

Given that the animators of this anime worked on My Hero Academia, Fullmetal Alchemist, and Beastars, I have some high hopes.

I really hope that they can deliver on fight scenes. Show some anime tier tooth and claw combat mixed with special powers, juts how the Heisei Era was supposed to be (as shown by manga and video games).
Last edited by Godzilla2020 on Mon Oct 19, 2020 1:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.

LegendZilla
Sazer

Post by LegendZilla »

If it turns out good, maybe it might re-invigorate my interest in anime.

MechaGoji Bro7503
Administrator
Administrator

Post by MechaGoji Bro7503 »

No weird waifu or kinky anime tropes, just gimme a competent story about Godzilla and people.

I'd like to see Anguirus appear. On the subject of monsters, we're bound to see atleast one battle I'm sure.
"Bang on, mate.", - Murdoc Niccals 2018.

"Right, wrong... Nobody's got a clue what the difference is in this town. So I'm gonna have more fun... and live crazier than any of 'em." - Goro Majima.

Our G-Force a Kaiju Podcast: https://podcasts.apple.com/us/podcast/g ... 1509725595

For unique discussions on Ultraman, Godzilla, and much more check out my channel Tiger Drop Films: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCng0uL ... VCg/videos

Kaijucifer
Gotengo Officer

Post by Kaijucifer »

I'm gonna have to temper my expectations with this but damn my hopes for G:SP are high. Recently I've started weebing out on anime since GvK just dipped and stopped existing so I've had to pour my focus elsewhere. When I heard who was involved in this my expectations shot through the roof.

Bones, the studio who animated Soul Eater, MHA, MP100 and many other beautiful shows, Orange, the studio who did the CGI for Beastars, and the entire creative team full of a bunch of other amazing talented people including Eiji Yamamori from Ghibli? This show has everything going for it. I'm so excited to see what we'll get by April.
All I expect is a well written and animated show, with some really likable characters and new and interesting Kaiju designs. Godzilla already looks like a super model going off the reveal image alone. If there are other Monsters, I hope they're either new or underutilized Toho monsters.
Anything is possible in Anime and I hope they pull no punches, because they can certainly get away with anything at this point as long as it isn't understated like the last trilogy we got.
"The day of the Crystal King will arrive like a hunter in the night. The King has been burdened by the sins of many...and the greatest of sinners deny his love."
DISCLAIMER: I am neurodivergent (high functioning autism). What I say may not be meant in the negative way it may seem to neurotypicals.

Titanoterror98
Interpol Agent

Post by Titanoterror98 »

MechaGoji Bro7503 wrote:No weird waifu or kinky anime tropes, just gimme a competent story about Godzilla and people.

I'd like to see Anguirus appear. On the subject of monsters, we're bound to see atleast one battle I'm sure.
Yes to both these points. Especially the first one.

I'm keeping my expectations in check and my mind open for the most part, but if there's anything I want it's a quality product. Somthing that's a good balance between familiar Godzilla tropes enhanced through animation and something unique and original that only animation can deliver. A likeable cast of characters. Using the animation to the best of its ability to portray Godzilla as a character in his own right: a living, breathing creature as well as a force of nature.

I don't care if Godzilla is a hero or antagonist, nor if there are any other monsters at all. If they can tell a good story with him and the humans, I couldn't care less.
"Kaiju are underrated." - Me
"Trust God from the bottom of your heart; don't try to figure out everything on your own." - Proverbs 3:5
"The only lemon content that should be on the internet is Lemon Demon music." - The Dapper Critter(A.K.A. Also me)

Gigantis
Sazer

Post by Gigantis »

I think Godzilla actually not showing up right away would actually be a really neat way to bring up suspense, compared to him just showing up incredibly early in the first episode, going "WARRRR" destroy some poop and leave.