Your hopes for Godzilla: Singular Point

For the discussion of Shin Godzilla, Godzilla -1.0, the anime trilogy, Godzilla Singular Point and Toho produced and distributed films after 2015. Includes US movies financed by Toho like Detective Pikachu.
Godzilla2020
GPN Volunteer

Re: Your hopes for Godzilla: Singular Point

Post by Godzilla2020 »

Kaijucifer wrote:I'm gonna have to temper my expectations with this but damn my hopes for G:SP are high. Recently I've started weebing out on anime since GvK just dipped and stopped existing so I've had to pour my focus elsewhere. When I heard who was involved in this my expectations shot through the roof.

Bones, the studio who animated Soul Eater, MHA, MP100 and many other beautiful shows, Orange, the studio who did the CGI for Beastars, and the entire creative team full of a bunch of other amazing talented people including Eiji Yamamori from Ghibli? This show has everything going for it. I'm so excited to see what we'll get by April.
All I expect is a well written and animated show, with some really likable characters and new and interesting Kaiju designs. Godzilla already looks like a super model going off the reveal image alone. If there are other Monsters, I hope they're either new or underutilized Toho monsters.
Anything is possible in Anime and I hope they pull no punches, because they can certainly get away with anything at this point as long as it isn't understated like the last trilogy we got.
Tbh this may be a case where tempering your expectations may not be needed. The aforementioned studios have a great track record and their involvement is likely the result of Toho taking the criticisms of the Anime Trilogy into account and trying to improve.

Hopefully that's the case, and some lesser known Kaiju get a shot at making a major appearance. I'm really hoping that Baragon gets to finally be shown in full like he is in the comics, flame breath and all. And Varan gets a good fight, or maybe a few.

This last one may be a really long shot but how about having Anguirus have some of the elemental powers he was planned to have in some appearances. In GMK he was originally going to appear with cryogenic capabilities and pyrokinetic powers in his original appearance. Maybe that can be shown off, one or the other or both?

Gigantis
Sazer

Post by Gigantis »

Godzilla2020 wrote:
This last one may be a really long shot but how about having Anguirus have some of the elemental powers he was planned to have in some appearances. In GMK he was originally going to appear with cryogenic capabilities and pyrokinetic powers in his original appearance. Maybe that can be shown off, one or the other or both?
Nah. Anguirus has been the most famous TAC monster in this franchise and it's the main reason why he's so loved. To simply throw that away and give him elemental powers out of nowhere would be really jarring and unneccesarry.

A guy who randomly stumbled upon this place one day, invested much too much time into it, and now appears to be stuck here for all eternity..and strangely enough, i do not regret it!

BlankAccount
Sazer

Post by BlankAccount »

Gigantis wrote:
Godzilla2020 wrote:
Nah. Anguirus has been the most famous TAC monster in this franchise and it's the main reason why he's so loved. To simply throw that away and give him elemental powers out of nowhere would be really jarring and unneccesarry.
To be fair, for GAV, I think he was planned to have spikes made out of ice...and that's it. So he'd still be tooth and claw, just one of his melee weapons/defense would be made of ice instead of bone.

Cryptid_Liker
Xilien Halfling

Post by Cryptid_Liker »

So what's our hopes now that the most unlikely candidates were confirmed?

DirektorSplennic
EDF Instructor

Post by DirektorSplennic »

Cryptid_Liker wrote:So what's our hopes now that the most unlikely candidates were confirmed?
That they're used in a satisfying manner.

Desghidorah
G-Grasper

Post by Desghidorah »

While I do love it when kaiju movies can critique humanism, I'm rather optimistic this will be a somewhat hopeful series. We've had a lot of dourness lately and while making it totally light and fluffy isn't ideal for me, I do think they can balance it well. The tagline seems almost the antithesis to the grim and pessimistic anime trilogy's message.

Vakanai
EDF Instructor

Post by Vakanai »

Desghidorah wrote:While I do love it when kaiju movies can critique humanism, I'm rather optimistic this will be a somewhat hopeful series. We've had a lot of dourness lately and while making it totally light and fluffy isn't ideal for me, I do think they can balance it well. The tagline seems almost the antithesis to the grim and pessimistic anime trilogy's message.
I had to look up humanism.
"an outlook or system of thought attaching prime importance to human rather than divine or supernatural matters. Humanist beliefs stress the potential value and goodness of human beings, emphasize common human needs, and seek solely rational ways of solving human problems."

I can agree with the human needs and rational solutions thing, but human value and potential for good...yeah I'm as hard anti-humanist on that front as you can get. Humans suck, and our potential for sucking is infinite.

But I agree, I don't want it to be too dour. Something between the extremes would be best. Serious, but capable of being fun and joyful when called for, and somber and intense when needed.
I unapologetically, wholeheartedly, and without a doubt hate Godzilla vs Kong.

Desghidorah
G-Grasper

Post by Desghidorah »

Vakanai wrote:
Desghidorah wrote:While I do love it when kaiju movies can critique humanism, I'm rather optimistic this will be a somewhat hopeful series. We've had a lot of dourness lately and while making it totally light and fluffy isn't ideal for me, I do think they can balance it well. The tagline seems almost the antithesis to the grim and pessimistic anime trilogy's message.
"an outlook or system of thought attaching prime importance to human rather than divine or supernatural matters. Humanist beliefs stress the potential value and goodness of human beings, emphasize common human needs, and seek solely rational ways of solving human problems."

I can agree with the human needs and rational solutions thing, but human value and potential for good...yeah I'm as hard anti-humanist on that front as you can get. Humans suck, and our potential for sucking is infinite.

But I agree, I don't want it to be too dour. Something between the extremes would be best. Serious, but capable of being fun and joyful when called for, and somber and intense when needed.
More or less, but I define it by the ideal that humans are the apex of importance and specialty in the universe and that progress is always a benign pursuit regardless of consequences. As with all ideals, when taken to an extreme it's bad even if it can have benign applications. For example most 1950s-1960s American Monster movies are humanistic as while the monsters might be mighty, be they the creation of mad science, aliens, or ancient beings worshiped as gods, good ol' human ingenuity can destroy it free of consequences. The 1954 Godzilla film might seem somewhat like this, but the Oxygen Destroyer is only used at a sacrifice as Serizawa was adamant it could prove an even worse weapon than those that woke up Godzilla. And instead of being celebrated, Serizawa destroys his work and himself, leaving the characters to mourn him. Even the 1956 American cut preserved this.

Add in other examples like Mothra being a goddess and in the right in most of her movies even if humans are in conflict with her, and it's evident a vast majority of Toho kaiju films are critical of humanism. After all in most Vs. movies, humanity usually can't stop one or both of the feature kaiju, best they can do is tilt the odds and hope the best outcome wins.

Ramble over, check Omni-Viewers video if you want more.

But yeah, it's possible to be idealistic and not overly humanistic. I feel the Monster'verse films pulled that off pretty well as in those, most of the time humans caused the problems and the best hope is for someone like Kong or Godzilla to be victorious for a less destructive outcome.
Last edited by Desghidorah on Wed Oct 28, 2020 6:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Vakanai
EDF Instructor

Post by Vakanai »

Desghidorah wrote:
Vakanai wrote:

More or less, but I define it by the ideal that humans are the apex of importance and specialty in the universe and that progress is always a benign pursuit regardless of consequences. As with all ideals, when taken to an extreme it's bad even if it can have benign applications. For example most 1950s-1960s American Monster movies are humanistic as while the monsters might be mighty, be they the creation of mad science, aliens, or ancient beings worshiped as gods, good ol' human ingenuity can destroy it free of consequences. The 1954 Godzilla film might seem somewhat like this, but the Oxygen Destroyer is only used at a sacrifice as Serizawa was adamant it could prove an even worse weapon than those that woke up Godzilla. And instead of being celebrated, Serizawa destroys his work and himself, leaving the characters to mourn him. Even the 1956 American cut preserved this.

Add in other examples like Mothra being a goddess and in the right in most of her movies even if humans are in conflict with her, and it's evident a vast majority of Toho kaiju films are critical of humanism. After all in most Vs. movies, humanity usually can't stop one or both of the feature kaiju, best they can do is tilt the odds and hope the best outcome wins.

Ramble over, check Omni-Viewers video if you want more.

But yeah, it's possible to be idealistic and not overly humanistic. I feel the Monster'verse films pulled that off pretty well as in those, most of the time humans caused the problems and the best hope is for someone like Kong or Godzilla to be victorious for a less destructive outcome.
Makes sense. There's aspects of humanism I agree with, but definitely plenty I don't. Definitely interesting viewing movies from these angles. Although mostly I just take them at face value and need these things pointed out.
I unapologetically, wholeheartedly, and without a doubt hate Godzilla vs Kong.

Gigantis
Sazer

Post by Gigantis »

I'm actually kinda hoping if the "dimension hoping" theory hold true, can we visit said dimension and see what that's like?

A guy who randomly stumbled upon this place one day, invested much too much time into it, and now appears to be stuck here for all eternity..and strangely enough, i do not regret it!

ClandestineCanine9
Monarch Researcher

Post by ClandestineCanine9 »

Showa Gojira wrote: Wed Oct 07, 2020 9:07 amthey should totally have Bagan in it.
I would love that.

it'll never happen.
that wasn't very cash money of you
モスラ! ゴジラ! ギドラ!

Desghidorah
G-Grasper

Post by Desghidorah »

You know what, screw it. I've seen plenty of concepts that sat on the shelf for a long time before being put to good use. Give me Bagan!

On a less goofy note, Bagan actually would work quite well as it's deceptively flexible. Godzilla doesn't have too many foes that are blatantly supernatural, aside from Mothra/Battra, and the multiple versions of Bagan means you could mix and match to figure out what would work the best.

Gigantis
Sazer

Post by Gigantis »

I want more than one season if this proves to be a success, though i doubt that'll happen.

Denis
Monsterland Worker

Post by Denis »

My main hope is good characters (Judging from the bios it does seem likely) land actual monster action. I would love to see it in animated format.

LegendZilla
Sazer

Post by LegendZilla »

I am hoping that Varan and King Caesar will show up.

Devilsadvocat631
Ronin

Post by Devilsadvocat631 »

Make it as much like Godzilla Rulers of Earth as possible.

Agent Smith
Monsterland Worker

Post by Agent Smith »

If this series does well combined with the coming GvK and SI spinoff series then the road is paved for a flurry of Godzilla and kaiju series. Things are looking very bright at the moment.