Godzilla: Singular Point Non-Spoiler Thread

For the discussion of Shin Godzilla, Godzilla -1.0, the anime trilogy, Godzilla Singular Point and Toho produced and distributed films after 2015. Includes US movies financed by Toho like Detective Pikachu.
kaijukurt
EDF Instructor

Re: Godzilla: Singular Point Non-Spoiler Thread

Post by kaijukurt »

Cookson wrote: Sun Mar 21, 2021 7:52 pm Has there been any interviews on the reasons for such drastic design changes? It would be interesting to see the reasoning
Haven't seen any yet (maybe because they're trying to keep some story elements under wraps?).
Formerly known as kurtzilla

GigaBowserG
Vice President
Vice President

Post by GigaBowserG »

Cookson wrote: Sun Mar 21, 2021 7:52 pm Has there been any interviews on the reasons for such drastic design changes? It would be interesting to see the reasoning
There was an interview with the director recently in "Tokusatsu Hiho" magazine, hoping to learn more of their thought process behind the monster designs once that comes in later this week.
Mecha M wrote:[after seeing Shin Godzilla's design] Looks like partially cooked carne asada
/crawls back under rock

MechaGoji Bro7503
Administrator
Administrator

Post by MechaGoji Bro7503 »

When the "snake thing" bit Godzilla in the trailer, I could tell it was Manda from the "dragon whiskers" on his face. Let's not jump too far into things after looking at a blurry pic of a Bandai vinyl. LSD Jellyfish brought up a good point about past Manda designs.

Regarding the clip, I'm liking the camerawork. Maaaaan hearing the classic roars in all their glory reminds me how much I've missed the 'ol kaiju crew together - hell it's practically a Showa reunion too. :tearsofjoy:

Between this and GvK, it's splendid feeling hyped for Godzilla again, I'd fallen out of the franchise quite a bit the past two years. Will it all be great? Realistically, no, but I'm happy to see Godzilla branching out and appearing in all kinds of fan networks. At the very least I'm going to enjoy the hype train, and b*tch later once the projects sink in after a few viewings haha.
"Bang on, mate.", - Murdoc Niccals 2018.

"Right, wrong... Nobody's got a clue what the difference is in this town. So I'm gonna have more fun... and live crazier than any of 'em." - Goro Majima.

Our G-Force a Kaiju Podcast: https://podcasts.apple.com/us/podcast/g ... 1509725595

For unique discussions on Ultraman, Godzilla, and much more check out my channel Tiger Drop Films: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCng0uL ... VCg/videos

Vandarker
G-Grasper

Post by Vandarker »

One thing I'm not too crazy about this series is how small most of the kaiju are. Like Anguirus and Rodan. Manda and Titanosaurus seems to be the only ones that are big enough to fight Godzilla.

LSD Jellyfish
Administrator
Administrator

Post by LSD Jellyfish »

Vandarker wrote: Mon Mar 22, 2021 4:28 pm One thing I'm not too crazy about this series is how small most of the kaiju are. Like Anguirus and Rodan. Manda and Titanosaurus seems to be the only ones that are big enough to fight Godzilla.
I don't know about Rodan or Angurius, but it feels like they're purposely smaller so that the humans and jet jaguar can have something to fight early on. I think it's important to remember this is an episodic series. They probably won't bring out the big guns until at least there midpoint.
Spirit Ghidorah 2010 wrote: Sun Dec 03, 2023 4:54 pm Anno-san pleasures me more than Yamasaki-san.

Thegarbagemonster
EDF Instructor

Post by Thegarbagemonster »

LSD Jellyfish wrote: Mon Mar 22, 2021 4:48 pm
Vandarker wrote: Mon Mar 22, 2021 4:28 pm One thing I'm not too crazy about this series is how small most of the kaiju are. Like Anguirus and Rodan. Manda and Titanosaurus seems to be the only ones that are big enough to fight Godzilla.
I don't know about Rodan or Angurius, but it feels like they're purposely smaller so that the humans and jet jaguar can have something to fight early on. I think it's important to remember this is an episodic series. They probably won't bring out the big guns until at least there midpoint.
Exactly, I'm not too crazy about the small sizes either, but I can put up with it. It leads to scarier scenarios for sure. I find that the most memorable monster attack scenes in the Godzilla series are the smaller beasts- Shockirus attacking the sailors and Destoroyah trying to get into the car rabidly to kill the woman come to mind, the latter being one of my fav scenes in the entire series. I would've made the pink Rodan a little bigger, but since the Rodans have a number advantage, I get their size. They make up for it with their sheer number. They can follow humans anywhere.

daveblackeye15
EDF Instructor

Post by daveblackeye15 »

Yeah I kind of realized that there are some things smaller monsters can do that bigger ones can't. Maybe can't plow through a city but they can make a way more personal attack on people.

LSD Jellyfish
Administrator
Administrator

Post by LSD Jellyfish »

daveblackeye15 wrote: Mon Mar 22, 2021 6:09 pm Yeah I kind of realized that there are some things smaller monsters can do that bigger ones can't. Maybe can't plow through a city but they can make a way more personal attack on people.
Yes, and in a tv show that's maybe 5 hours in total (versus a 2 hour long Godzilla flick) it's important to build things up rather than blow your load too soon. I'll say as someone who saw the first episode that they've already started to take care of differing sizes pretty well.

Also, this in relation to the toys as well, and pure speculation, but
Spoiler:
the toy of Angry is clearly different than the ones we have seen in the trailers. I imagine Angy will appear, fight JJ in the small form, and later become big and fight Godzilla
Spirit Ghidorah 2010 wrote: Sun Dec 03, 2023 4:54 pm Anno-san pleasures me more than Yamasaki-san.

Tyrant_Lizard_King
Sazer

Post by Tyrant_Lizard_King »

That sneak peak pretty much sealed my excitement.
Rocker, paleo buff, cryptid enthusiast, Dragonball fanatic, and lover of comic book, video game, manga, & anime babes!
Follow me on Twitter, if you dare! https://twitter.com/TLK_1983

Thegarbagemonster
EDF Instructor

Tyrant_Lizard_King wrote: Tue Mar 23, 2021 4:41 am That sneak peak pretty much sealed my excitement.
You mean sealed it like cemented it or sealed it as put a plug on it?
As in, "My excitement is here to stay!" or "My excitement has been bottled away..."

Tyrant_Lizard_King
Sazer

Post by Tyrant_Lizard_King »

Cemented
Rocker, paleo buff, cryptid enthusiast, Dragonball fanatic, and lover of comic book, video game, manga, & anime babes!
Follow me on Twitter, if you dare! https://twitter.com/TLK_1983

Vandarker
G-Grasper

Post by Vandarker »

I actually like Manda's design in this. He's more shrimp than fish or dragon though, the segmented body, the insectoid forelimbs and antennae-like whiskers make him look like a long-bodied crustacean.
Last edited by Vandarker on Tue Mar 23, 2021 6:17 am, edited 1 time in total.

BurningCoolMan
JXSDF Technician

Post by BurningCoolMan »

any fan translations yet?

MechaMinya
Yojimbo

Post by MechaMinya »

I apologize if this has been asked before but I am having difficulty figuring out when GSP will be released in the U.S.

Thanks in advance for any help you may provide.

vastatosaurus
JXSDF Technician

Post by vastatosaurus »

Why the English translation is so late... I thought this fandom is huge.

goji89
Sazer

Post by goji89 »

vastatosaurus wrote: Fri Mar 26, 2021 6:47 am Why the English translation is so late... I thought this fandom is huge.
You misunderstood completely.

We're huge down there NOT that the fandom itself is huge.
You want to get the girl just say you're a Godzilla fan instant panty drop.

vastatosaurus
JXSDF Technician

Post by vastatosaurus »

goji89 wrote: Fri Mar 26, 2021 6:55 am
vastatosaurus wrote: Fri Mar 26, 2021 6:47 am Why the English translation is so late... I thought this fandom is huge.

:shock:

Thegarbagemonster
EDF Instructor

vastatosaurus wrote: Fri Mar 26, 2021 7:06 am
goji89 wrote: Fri Mar 26, 2021 6:55 am

:shock:
What about those of us who ARE girls? Does it still apply?

Seriously though, if Toho blocked their premiere to other countries, I can't imagine they'd let a translation fly this early. They're being a bit stingy with Godzilla SP news in general, now it seems only Japan is getting the love for now? We'll have to wait a while longer for this.

Destorogoji
G-Grasper

Post by Destorogoji »

It was the same for the anime trilogy, wasn't it? I remember them being released worldwide like 3-5 months after the Japanese theater release.
Here's my Instagram, I post photos of my figures, customs and sometimes other stuff:
https://www.instagram.com/buruno.98/

goji89
Sazer

Post by goji89 »

Thegarbagemonster wrote: Fri Mar 26, 2021 7:55 am
What about those of us who ARE girls? Does it still apply?

Seriously though, if Toho blocked their premiere to other countries, I can't imagine they'd let a translation fly this early. They're being a bit stingy with Godzilla SP news in general, now it seems only Japan is getting the love for now? We'll have to wait a while longer for this.
Japan is first foremost.....always. It's their core audience, so we'll have to wait or LSD can just send us all a copy of it.

*Also yes, girls too we're a big fandom where it counts wink*

(I seriously don't know where I was going with this lol)
Last edited by goji89 on Fri Mar 26, 2021 9:51 am, edited 1 time in total.