Shin Ultraman NON-SPOILER THREAD

For the discussion of any Ultraman related shows, movies, comics, video games, etc.
Vakanai
EDF Instructor

Re: Shin Ultraman Officially announced

Post by Vakanai »

ChillyApolyon wrote:What was the last new information about this film?
I think maybe that look at Ultraman?
I unapologetically, wholeheartedly, and without a doubt hate Godzilla vs Kong.

DirektorSplennic
EDF Instructor

Post by DirektorSplennic »

eabaker wrote:
Gigantis wrote:The name "Shin" doesn't really mean anything other than it's a new interpetation of the characters because "Shin" means new in Japan.
That depends on the character being used to write it. For Shin Godzilla, it was written in katakana in part to obscure its meaning, by making it open to multiple interpretations, specifically because of the idea of Godzilla as a "God" in the movie. So far, everything I've seen for Shin Ultraman also uses the ambiguous katakana spelling.
Well Ultraman could be considered a God as well, since he's usually referred to as the "Giant of Light" and comes from the Land of Light which could be seen as some sort of Heaven.

Gigantis
Sazer

Post by Gigantis »

DirektorSplennic wrote: Well Ultraman could be considered a God as well, since he's usually referred to as the "Giant of Light" and comes from the Land of Light which could be seen as some sort of Heaven.
Add that with the fact the Land of Light is usually seen as a perfect utopia...

Ehh, i don't know if they'll actually go that route, but it would be cool. Hope we get some more news soon.

A guy who randomly stumbled upon this place one day, invested much too much time into it, and now appears to be stuck here for all eternity..and strangely enough, i do not regret it!

ROMG4
G-Grasper

Post by ROMG4 »

If they gave Ultraman teeth back and made them prominent

Yeah that would be pretty much enough to out Shin, Shin Godzilla

Never forget tadpole :g2k:
Cinematic Kaiju wrote:"...And you keep still because you think that maybe his visual acuity is based on movement like T-Rex - he'll lose you if you don't move. But no, not Godzilla. You stare at him, and he just stares right back."
SoggyNoodles2016 wrote: Sun May 16, 2021 6:00 amI'm sowey, I didn't mean it uMu

LegendZilla
Sazer

Post by LegendZilla »

ROMG4 wrote:If they gave Ultraman teeth back and made them prominent

They will likely give him facial expressions at least.

Cryptid_Liker
Xilien Halfling

Post by Cryptid_Liker »

LegendZilla wrote:
ROMG4 wrote:If they gave Ultraman teeth back and made them prominent

They will likely give him facial expressions at least.

LegendZilla
Sazer

Post by LegendZilla »

If Anno were to do a Shin Ultraseven, chances are he'd make change the character from red to blue as Seven was originally intended to be.

KManX89
Gotengo Officer

Post by KManX89 »

For all the doom and gloom about a potential crossover with Shin Godzilla: the fact that they needlessly tacked "Shin" onto it means it could happen, love it or hate it.
My Game Ideas Page | My Blu-Ray Collection

~"Now I Am Become Death, the Destroyer of Worlds"

Vakanai
EDF Instructor

Post by Vakanai »

KManX89 wrote:For all the doom and gloom about a potential crossover with Shin Godzilla: the fact that they needlessly tacked "Shin" onto it means it could happen, love it or hate it.
Why on Earth would it be doom and gloom? Sounds freaking awesome if it were to happen!

miguelnuva
Justiriser

Post by miguelnuva »

KManX89 wrote:For all the doom and gloom about a potential crossover with Shin Godzilla: the fact that they needlessly tacked "Shin" onto it means it could happen, love it or hate it.
Shin is on a lot of Japanese TV shows and movies. Shin Tenchi Muyo is one off the top of my head.

However Shin Godzilla could easily take place in the Shin Tenchi timeline as wierd as it was.
Mothra vs Godzilla> Gojira

Shadow Area 1-0
Image Image

Gigantis
Sazer

Post by Gigantis »

If it would be set up right, i'd love a Godzilla-Ultraman crossover, but using the Shin films to do it is 100% the wrong way how. Not only would it make no sense continuity wise for Shin Godzilla, but SG alone felt like a one off film, so milking on it just seems cheap to me. Not to mention, he's not really much of a fighter compared to the much more agile Ultraman. Fight would looks pretty one-sided.

A guy who randomly stumbled upon this place one day, invested much too much time into it, and now appears to be stuck here for all eternity..and strangely enough, i do not regret it!

Cryptid_Liker
Xilien Halfling

Post by Cryptid_Liker »

LegendZilla wrote:If Anno were to do a Shin Ultraseven, chances are he'd make change the character from red to blue as Seven was originally intended to be.
Also, I bet he'd remove the Beam Lamp since that was made because of the Color Timer.

Showa Gojira
Monarch Researcher

Post by Showa Gojira »

DirektorSplennic wrote:Well Ultraman could be considered a God as well, since he's usually referred to as the "Giant of Light" and comes from the Land of Light which could be seen as some sort of Heaven.
I would say Ultraman and his kind are more like angels, Eiji Tsuburaya was Catholic after all. It would be cool to see this movie or a future series play with that concept a little more.
SoggyNoodles2016 wrote: Fri Nov 06, 2020 6:40 pm
Best kaiju game ever. Like, seriously, awesome to play and full of cool little nods to the films that make it up. Ten out of ten. Worth waiting for.

"GODZILLA - ULTRAMAN - GAMERA: ALL MONSTERS ATTACK!"
http://kaijubeatemup.blogspot.com/
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC6vZKr ... XgWG0hADNA
The Thread: http://www.tohokingdom.com/forum/viewto ... =19&t=5609

Terasawa
Xilien Halfling

Post by Terasawa »

miguelnuva wrote:Shin is on a lot of Japanese TV shows and movies. Shin Tenchi Muyo is one off the top of my head.
This is not true, not the way you think it is.

The "shin" in Anno's Godzilla and Ultraman is the same. The "shin" in Shin Tenchi Muyo is a different word. The "shin" in Shin Megami Tensei is yet another different word. I can't think of a great English example, maybe because there isn't one, but think of it like a more complicated version of the difference between there, their, and they're.

In short, you're saying that "shin" is one Japanese word and that any similarities between the two Anno films is merely because it's a common word. But it's not. "Shin" is not one word. It's a combination of two syllables that makes up several different Japanese words and with different meanings.

Shin Tenchi Muyo = 新・天地無用!
Shin Megami Tensei = 真・女神転生
Shin Godzilla = シン・ゴジラ
Shin Ultraman = シン・ウルトラマン 空想特撮映画

For Godzilla and Ultraman, shin is rendered in katakana, which gives the word no definite meaning. So anyone that's pointing out the similarity between Shin Godzilla and Shin Ultraman is totally right to do so. That doesn't mean they're part of the same fictional universe or that there will ever be a crossover.
Last edited by Terasawa on Sun Aug 09, 2020 10:17 am, edited 1 time in total.
寺沢. He/him/his, etc.

KManX89
Gotengo Officer

Post by KManX89 »

Vakanai wrote:
Why on Earth would it be doom and gloom? Sounds freaking awesome if it were to happen!
Quite a few people here were voicing their displeasure with the idea of it potentially happening.
My Game Ideas Page | My Blu-Ray Collection

~"Now I Am Become Death, the Destroyer of Worlds"

miguelnuva
Justiriser

Post by miguelnuva »

Terasawa wrote:
miguelnuva wrote:Shin is on a lot of Japanese TV shows and movies. Shin Tenchi Muyo is one off the top of my head.
This is not true, not the way you think it is.

The "shin" in Anno's Godzilla and Ultraman is the same. The "shin" in Shin Tenchi Muyo is a different word. The "shin" in Shin Megami Tensei is yet another different word. I can't think of a great English example, maybe because there isn't one, but think of it like a more complicated version of the difference between there, their, and they're.

In short, you're saying that "shin" is one Japanese word and that any similarities between the two Anno films is merely because it's a common word. But it's not. "Shin" is not one word. It's a combination of two syllables that makes up several different Japanese words and with different meanings.

Shin Tenchi Muyo = 新・天地無用!
Shin Megami Tensei = 真・女神転生
Shin Godzilla = シン・ゴジラ
Shin Ultraman = シン・ウルトラマン 空想特撮映画

For Godzilla and Ultraman, shin is rendered in katakana, which gives the word no definite meaning. So anyone that's pointing out the similarity between Shin Godzilla and Shin Ultraman is totally right to do so. That doesn't mean they're part of the same fictional universe or that there will ever be a crossover.
My mistake, I knew Shin could be translated into several words in English but I didn't know in Japanese the spellings of the word caused the many differences as well. Thank you.

Added in 1 minute 14 seconds:
Gigantis wrote:If it would be set up right, i'd love a Godzilla-Ultraman crossover, but using the Shin films to do it is 100% the wrong way how. Not only would it make no sense continuity wise for Shin Godzilla, but SG alone felt like a one off film, so milking on it just seems cheap to me. Not to mention, he's not really much of a fighter compared to the much more agile Ultraman. Fight would looks pretty one-sided.
You should go watch how he kicked the Eva's asses. Shin isn't that much worse of a fighter than Heisei or the pre Ghidorah Showa Godzilla.

Shadow Area 1-0
Image Image

Gigantis
Sazer

Post by Gigantis »

miguelnuva wrote: You should go watch how he kicked the Eva's asses. Shin isn't that much worse of a fighter than Heisei or the pre Ghidorah Showa Godzilla.
He really didn't do much in that fight though. Just kinda, bit here, tail slap there. Feel like the only reason he curb-stomped all of them was because he's just that much more durable than the EVA's.
Last edited by Gigantis on Sun Aug 09, 2020 1:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Vakanai
EDF Instructor

Post by Vakanai »

KManX89 wrote:
Vakanai wrote:
Quite a few people here were voicing their displeasure with the idea of it potentially happening.
Yeah, and I don't get those people either. It should be more classic takes on the characters, Shin Godzilla isn't a fighter, it's better as a one off, similar arguments that all fail against the one argument to do it - it'll be fun!

miguelnuva
Justiriser

Post by miguelnuva »

Me personally if there was a crossover I would hope it's just Shin frozen. His 5th form is too wierd to even attempt to go into.

Shadow Area 1-0
Image Image

BlankAccount
Sazer

Post by BlankAccount »

miguelnuva wrote:Me personally if there was a crossover I would hope it's just Shin frozen. His 5th form is too wierd to even attempt to go into.
Yeah this. People say they want a sequel of Shin Godzilla but trust me, you don't. He's turning into John Carpenter's The Thing. At that point you can't even call him Godzilla anymore, he's dead. Not in the literal sense but in the meta sense of it just stops being what makes Godzilla who he is.