Do you want to see more of a focus on new monsters in the Reiwa era?

For the discussion of Shin Godzilla, Godzilla -1.0, the anime trilogy, Godzilla Singular Point and Toho produced and distributed films after 2015. Includes US movies financed by Toho like Detective Pikachu.
Maritonic
Admin | Forum Manager
Admin | Forum Manager

Re: Do you want to see more of a focus on new monsters in the Reiwa era?

Post by Maritonic »

I would love to see some one like Megalon or Spacegodzilla make a return in some form. However that happens, with whatever update to their story, or design, it would be great to see kaiju that had a one-off come back.
Any issues, please feel free to private message me or e-mail me at MaritonicTK@gmail.com.
Bruno says we're not supposed to hate.
MechaGoji Bro7503 wrote: Tue Jan 31, 2023 3:24 pm Don't go to a friend's wedding, send him 100 copies of Gamera vs Zigra instead. Be a man.

Stump Feet
Gotengo Officer

Post by Stump Feet »

UltramanGoji wrote:
Stump Feet wrote:
Dynomy-DX wrote:If we get old monsters, I want them to focus on the underrated/underused ones.
Why? To be fan servicey?
...To diversify the roster beyond Mothra, Ghidorah, Rodan and Mechagodzilla?
I never said those characters had to be used either.

I'm not saying I don't want to see some diversity, I'm just saying if they're used, the reason needs to be good enough. I'm just not into requesting for the sake of requesting, I want a decent reason for Biollante or Battra or whoever to show up again.
Last edited by Stump Feet on Fri Jul 26, 2019 12:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
*Looks at GKOTM’s box office numbers*
Long Live The Sting

Destoroyah of Worlds
Gotengo Officer

Post by Destoroyah of Worlds »

Fish Cakes wrote:I'd really like to see a modern King Caesar, not gonna lie. Lots you could do with the whole guardian deity thing. Plus there aren't too many furred kaiju, I always found that a really cool part of his appeal.
I've seen some really great Caesar concepts.

I'm surprised he wasn't one of the guardian monsters in GMK :P
Come fourth, Ghidorah! Great Golden Winged Destroyer; deliver onto us a beautiful demise!

UltramanGoji

Post by UltramanGoji »

Stump Feet wrote:
UltramanGoji wrote:
Stump Feet wrote: Why? To be fan servicey?
...To diversify the roster beyond Mothra, Ghidorah, Rodan and Mechagodzilla?
I never said those characters had to be used either.

I'm not saying I don't want to see some diversity, I'm just saying if they're used, the reason needs to be good enough. I'm just not into requesting for the sake of requesting, I want a decent reason for Biollante or Battra or whoever to show up again.
I don't think anyone is disputing that just because they want to see some old kaiju come back. Nobody should have to give a good reason for wanting them back, that's not our job.

Dynomy-DX
Interpol Agent

Post by Dynomy-DX »

Stump Feet wrote:
Dynomy-DX wrote:If we get old monsters, I want them to focus on the underrated/underused ones.
Why? To be fan servicey?
No, to have some variety in the roster. We’ve seen so many Mothras and King Ghidorahs, and it’d be nice to see some other monsters get recognition. Obviously in a way that fits the story. If you literally just have them there because “yes”, then obviously it’s going to be pointless. But if some other monsters got the chance to return and with a good story and reason to boot, I don’t see any reason they should be denied that chance.
Reignited... and hopefully less weird this time around.

I'm a guy with simple interests. Mostly revolving around monsters blowing up entire cities.

HillyHulk
Gotengo Officer

Post by HillyHulk »

Actually, it would be neat to have a mix of old and new kaiju popping up in their upcoming shared universe (well, fourth shared universe given Showa, Heisei, and Legendary's Monsterverse). Giving both new faces to step up to the plate while also bringing back fan favorites (so basically, what the Monsterverse is doing).
Last edited by HillyHulk on Fri Jul 26, 2019 1:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.

LSD Jellyfish
Administrator
Administrator

Post by LSD Jellyfish »

Fan service to me, implies cameos of older things that are really inconsequential. For example, despite being horribly executed, that`s basically why Hedorah was in GFW.

While not the best film, think about how they made a good excuse, and interesting monster, out of the Meganulon from Rodan, in the form of Megaguirus from GxMegaguirus.If they take monsters like Manda or whatever, and give it a good reason for being there, or intergrate it into the plot well, then I'm all for bringing them back.
Spirit Ghidorah 2010 wrote: Sun Dec 03, 2023 4:54 pm Anno-san pleasures me more than Yamasaki-san.

Stump Feet
Gotengo Officer

Post by Stump Feet »

Damn, I'd be all for a new Atragon movie.
*Looks at GKOTM’s box office numbers*
Long Live The Sting