Goro Maki and Dr. Serizawa

For the discussion of Shin Godzilla, Godzilla -1.0, the anime trilogy, Godzilla Singular Point and Toho produced and distributed films after 2015. Includes US movies financed by Toho like Detective Pikachu.
LSD Jellyfish
Administrator
Administrator

Goro Maki and Dr. Serizawa

Post by LSD Jellyfish »

Not sure if anyone really brought this up before, but a lot of people were really confused why Goro Maki was called Goro Maki in Shin Gojira. While it’s a nice nod, it’s especially odd considering that the name sake for this character is a carefree reporter from one of the more lax films in the franchise.

I have something that it is mostly conjecture, but I have a feeling it’s a parody of G14. In G14, there is Dr. Serizawa, named after the original scientist. But while Dr. Serizawa originally was really dark, contemplative and unhinged, Serizawa in G14 was probably one of the most sane, and wise people in the film. He also just seems like a nice and tactful dude.

Compare that to Goro Maki, who originally was a nice dude. But Shin makes him out to be slightly sinister. He has the answers to the Shin organism, and also kills himself. He’s clearly jaded by the death of his wife, and at the world. I would not call him evil or anything, but certainly it’s the complete opposite.

I’m sort of wondering if it might be an injoke response to G14, if the idea of taking an Old Toho characters name, and slapping it on a completely different and innaoropriate character. Given the film has a lot of satirical elements, and Anno being Anno, it would not be surprising.
Spirit Ghidorah 2010 wrote: Sun Dec 03, 2023 4:54 pm Anno-san pleasures me more than Yamasaki-san.

Vakanai
EDF Instructor

Re: Goro Maki and Dr. Serizawa

Post by Vakanai »

I really think you are stretching there. I doubt naming Goro Maki had anything to do at all with the MonsterVerse's Dr. Serizawa. And I'm using "doubt" to really politely say, "I know that's not true, but please tell me what are you smoking and who is your dealer?"
I unapologetically, wholeheartedly, and without a doubt hate Godzilla vs Kong.

Spuro
Keizer

Post by Spuro »

Let's not forget there was a Goro Maki in Son of Godzilla as well. It's just a recurring name.
eabaker wrote: You can't parse duende.
Breakdown wrote: HP Lovecraft's cat should be the ultimate villain of the MonsterVerse.

LSD Jellyfish
Administrator
Administrator

Post by LSD Jellyfish »

Kaiju-King42 wrote:Let's not forget there was a Goro Maki in Son of Godzilla as well. It's just a recurring name.
Did you read my post? The point was to reference a name pointlessly with a character that’s very different from what the character being portrayed is.
Spirit Ghidorah 2010 wrote: Sun Dec 03, 2023 4:54 pm Anno-san pleasures me more than Yamasaki-san.

Spuro
Keizer

Post by Spuro »

LSD Jellyfish wrote:
Kaiju-King42 wrote:Let's not forget there was a Goro Maki in Son of Godzilla as well. It's just a recurring name.
Did you read my post? The point was to reference a name pointlessly with a character that’s very different from what the character being portrayed is.
Yeah, I did. I was pointing out that Son of Godzilla also had a Goro Maki just like The Return of Godzilla did. It's been used three times by now.
Breakdown wrote: HP Lovecraft's cat should be the ultimate villain of the MonsterVerse.

eabaker
Administrator
Administrator

Post by eabaker »

Kaiju-King42 wrote:
LSD Jellyfish wrote:
Yeah, I did. I was pointing out that Son of Godzilla also had a Goro Maki just like The Return of Godzilla did. It's been used three times by now.
I think it's safe to assume that LSD's description, "a carefree reporter from one of the more lax films in the franchise," was about the Son of Godzilla Goro Maki, not the Return of Godzilla Goro Maki.
Tokyo, a smoldering memorial to the unknown, an unknown which at this very moment still prevails and could at any time lash out with its terrible destruction anywhere else in the world.

Spuro
Keizer

Post by Spuro »

Too many damn Goro Makis in this franchise. :lol:

Gailah 1966
Monarch Researcher

Post by Gailah 1966 »

I like the 1967 version of Goro Maki more anyway... :mrgreen:
Last edited by Gailah 1966 on Sun Jul 28, 2019 12:13 am, edited 1 time in total.
BIG FAN SURVEY 2023 --> viewtopic.php?t=34920
BIG FAN SURVEY 2020 --> viewtopic.php?t=30470
Video of 2020´s results --> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JUxyzsQxwa4

Ivo-goji
EDF Instructor

Post by Ivo-goji »

I just wanna know when they gonna bring back Katsura ( ._.)
Resized Image
Kaiju-King42 wrote: Welcome to Toho Kingdom, where every conceivable opinion, no matter how outlandish or unpopular, is a possibility among the population.

Stump Feet
Gotengo Officer

Post by Stump Feet »

Ivo-goji wrote:I just wanna know when they gonna bring back Katsura ( ._.)
If she doesn't become a love interest for M11, I ain't havin' it :mad:
*Looks at GKOTM’s box office numbers*
Long Live The Sting

GigaBowserG
Vice President
Vice President

Post by GigaBowserG »

Ivo-goji wrote:I just wanna know when they gonna bring back Katsura ( ._.)
Careful what you wish for!

OT, I'd completely forgotten about any previous Goro Makis, never really thought of it when I learned of them. Maybe Anno just really liked Son of Godzilla/Return of Godzilla :P
Mecha M wrote:[after seeing Shin Godzilla's design] Looks like partially cooked carne asada
/crawls back under rock

LSD Jellyfish
Administrator
Administrator

Post by LSD Jellyfish »

I actually completely missed that Goro Maki was the name of the guy in Godzilla 1984. I get that reference in 1984 to Goro Maki being a reporter, because so was the guy in SoG, but regardless it`s still bizarre that they chose to use the name for a grim dark scientist.

Stump Feet
Gotengo Officer

Post by Stump Feet »

Fan service my dear boy, fan service!
Last edited by Stump Feet on Mon Jul 29, 2019 12:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
*Looks at GKOTM’s box office numbers*
Long Live The Sting