Shin Ghidorah on Godzilla vs Evangelion

For the discussion of Shin Godzilla, the Godzilla anime trilogy and Toho produced and distributed films after 2015. Includes US movies financed by Toho like Detective Pikachu.
GuardianGhido
JXSDF Technician

Re: Shin Ghidorah on Godzilla vs Evangelion

Postby GuardianGhido » Tue Jul 02, 2019 2:00 pm

Cookson wrote:I think they should just do a one off film. Maybe even a trilogy.... maybe not have Anno direct the film/s just produce etc.(so it actually gets made).

Just make it a anime as well. Less restrictions. There’s money with this idea... they’ve been playing with the idea for a long time anyway.

If you're gonna do any more animes though FOR GODZILLA'S SAKE MAKE IT 2D. I REALLY do NOT want to see ugly cgi blobs lumbering around at the speed of molasses again!
DirektorSplennic wrote:Mr Goji, eabaker, and LSD are like the (un)Holy Trinity of Kaiju Kino.

Vakanai
JXSDF Technician

Postby Vakanai » Tue Jul 02, 2019 2:54 pm

Cookson wrote:I think they should just do a one off film. Maybe even a trilogy.... maybe not have Anno direct the film/s just produce etc.(so it actually gets made).

Just make it a anime as well. Less restrictions. There’s money with this idea... they’ve been playing with the idea for a long time anyway.

1. But hasn't Toho already confirmed that they will not be making a sequel to Shin?
2. What makes you say they've been playing with the idea for a long time?

Added in 4 minutes 10 seconds:
GuardianGhido wrote:

If you're gonna do any more animes though FOR GODZILLA'S SAKE MAKE IT 2D. I REALLY do NOT want to see ugly cgi blobs lumbering around at the speed of molasses again!

While I agree with preferring 2D over CG, CG wasn't the problem with the Godzilla anime. They wanted their Godzilla to look and move like that, and had it been 2D it would have still had Godzilla looking and moving like that. Don't blame CG for creative decisions, blame the people who made those decisions (also I rather liked the design itself, it was the tone and pace they wanted and went with I'm not crazy about).
Always, *always* proofread, typos are Hedorah.
If you discover you have made a typo, *always* correct it.
Trust me.

Godzilla vs Kong: Kong won't die. He might win, he might lose, but he will survive.

Some netiquette:
1. If you don't want to be rude, *ask* me before you sig me.

Cookson
G-Force Lieutenant

Postby Cookson » Tue Jul 02, 2019 7:38 pm

1.) doesn’t have to be a sequel to Shin Godzilla. This would be a one off. It doesn’t have to be tied directly to the Evangelion tv show/movies either... just a one off.

2.) um yes the idea has been played with since 2016 with collaboration merchandise etc . Now you have this ride at universal studios. The IDEA is extremely popular in Japan.

I agree with the 2D statement as well.
Last edited by Cookson on Tue Jul 02, 2019 7:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"We knew the world would not be the same. Few people laughed, few people cried, most people were silent."~Robert Oppenheimer

GuardianGhido
JXSDF Technician

Postby GuardianGhido » Wed Jul 03, 2019 12:47 am

Vakanai wrote:
GuardianGhido wrote:

While I agree with preferring 2D over CG, CG wasn't the problem with the Godzilla anime. They wanted their Godzilla to look and move like that, and had it been 2D it would have still had Godzilla looking and moving like that. Don't blame CG for creative decisions, blame the people who made those decisions (also I rather liked the design itself, it was the tone and pace they wanted and went with I'm not crazy about).

Kinda get that, but even if you drew the hulking blob in traditional 2d, it would still look better IMO. Similar things lumber around in 2D animes but thanks to traditional art not being as ugly, they look more imposing and impactful and actually seem like part of the world rather than just living special effects.

As an example. the Menos Grande from Bleach is also a slow lumbering creature that barely does anything other than walking a few paces and firing a beam (with all the focus being given to the human characters intead), but being in 2D actually makes the whole scene way better than anything in Anime Godzilla IMO. (Good human characters and being a completely different and good Anime helps too though, but my point stands as it's still better completely out of context imo)
Last edited by GuardianGhido on Wed Jul 03, 2019 12:53 am, edited 3 times in total.
DirektorSplennic wrote:Mr Goji, eabaker, and LSD are like the (un)Holy Trinity of Kaiju Kino.

_JNavs_
E.S.P.Spy

Postby _JNavs_ » Wed Jul 03, 2019 12:55 am

A good example would be the Tailed Beasts from Naruto. Looked and moved slow yet methodical, the dust picked up on every step, you felt their weight but it didn't distract from the action...

Especially since ol Goldeneye from Planet Eater was essentially a powerless Jinchuriki.
Sith Apprentice.

Omegazilla
Yin-Yang Master

Postby Omegazilla » Wed Jul 03, 2019 2:06 pm

As quirky as the little short film was it was cool and this is coming from someone that can't stand Evangelion. It is odd seeing Shin Godzilla be the "hero" and how he can't seem to hit a giant space dragon despite being able to nail tiny bombs and aircraft. However I don't think this was meant to be taken too seriously and was just made for the sake of entertainment. In that regard it is very successful. Shin Ghidorah is very unique and I love the anti gravity mechanisms in his beams and seemingly his flight as well.

Gawdziller1954
JXSDF Technician

Postby Gawdziller1954 » Wed Jul 03, 2019 7:12 pm

Omegazilla wrote:As quirky as the little short film was it was cool and this is coming from someone that can't stand Evangelion. It is odd seeing Shin Godzilla be the "hero" and how he can't seem to hit a giant space dragon despite being able to nail tiny bombs and aircraft. However I don't think this was meant to be taken too seriously and was just made for the sake of entertainment. In that regard it is very successful. Shin Ghidorah is very unique and I love the anti gravity mechanisms in his beams and seemingly his flight as well.

Ghidorah used his gravity powers to dodge Goji's beam
OH NO, IT'S GAWDZILLER!! :D

Cookson
G-Force Lieutenant

Postby Cookson » Thu Jul 04, 2019 12:33 pm

Just curious. How much does this “ride”/short film cost when you’re there? I think it’s possible this one experience is making more $ than the anime films did at the bo.
Last edited by Cookson on Thu Jul 04, 2019 12:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"We knew the world would not be the same. Few people laughed, few people cried, most people were silent."~Robert Oppenheimer

Vakanai
JXSDF Technician

Postby Vakanai » Fri Jul 12, 2019 3:42 pm

Cookson wrote:1.) doesn’t have to be a sequel to Shin Godzilla. This would be a one off. It doesn’t have to be tied directly to the Evangelion tv show/movies either... just a one off.

2.) um yes the idea has been played with since 2016 with collaboration merchandise etc . Now you have this ride at universal studios. The IDEA is extremely popular in Japan.

I agree with the 2D statement as well.

1.) Still not sure they are willing to do a one off, for lack of a better word here, Elseworld of Shin. Anno seems to want it kind of wrapped up as a solo flick, where rides and merch seem like a different sort of thing.

2.) Oh that's what you meant, I thought you were saying that they'd been toying with the idea of doing their own Godzilla anime for years (technically the anime trilogy was done by another studio kind of like Legendary's live action movies; Toho hasn't done their own Godzilla anime yet).

Added in 3 minutes 6 seconds:
GuardianGhido wrote:
Vakanai wrote:
GuardianGhido wrote:If you're gonna do any more animes though FOR GODZILLA'S SAKE MAKE IT 2D. I REALLY do NOT want to see ugly cgi blobs lumbering around at the speed of molasses again!

Kinda get that, but even if you drew the hulking blob in traditional 2d, it would still look better IMO. Similar things lumber around in 2D animes but thanks to traditional art not being as ugly, they look more imposing and impactful and actually seem like part of the world rather than just living special effects.

As an example. the Menos Grande from Bleach is also a slow lumbering creature that barely does anything other than walking a few paces and firing a beam (with all the focus being given to the human characters intead), but being in 2D actually makes the whole scene way better than anything in Anime Godzilla IMO. (Good human characters and being a completely different and good Anime helps too though, but my point stands as it's still better completely out of context imo)

Oh yeah, I'd think it'd look better as 2D too (big 2D animation fan) I was just pointing out it'd still be the same basic/ugly character design and still be lumbering. It's just look a bit nicer in 2D (of course that could just be our own subjective bias as we've both a preference for 2D over 3D).
Always, *always* proofread, typos are Hedorah.
If you discover you have made a typo, *always* correct it.
Trust me.

Godzilla vs Kong: Kong won't die. He might win, he might lose, but he will survive.

Some netiquette:
1. If you don't want to be rude, *ask* me before you sig me.

Return to “Reiwa Era (2015-Present)”