Will Toho ever make a Zombie film?

For the discussion of Shin Godzilla, Godzilla -1.0, the anime trilogy, Godzilla Singular Point and Toho produced and distributed films after 2015. Includes US movies financed by Toho like Detective Pikachu.
LegendZilla
Sazer

Will Toho ever make a Zombie film?

Post by LegendZilla »

Based on the excess popularity and ubiquity of Zombie-related media in today’s media and the fact that America’s not alone in producing it, with Britain helping to pioneer it with films like 28 Days Later and Shaun of The Dead and South Korean recently joining the fray with Train to Busan and Kingdom, that makes me wonder something. How likely is it that we’ll see a Japanese film studio, namely Toho produce it’s own breakout zombie-related film? Feel free to elaborate.
Last edited by LegendZilla on Sun May 12, 2019 12:26 am, edited 1 time in total.

Gawdziller1954
JXSDF Technician

Re: Will Toho ever make a Zombie film?

Post by Gawdziller1954 »

ANNO. ZOMBIES. NOW.
OH NO, IT'S GAWDZILLER!! :D

Spuro
Keizer

Post by Spuro »

I'd say Matango counts. It's not a George Romaro style zombie film, but I think it fits by the general definition of the creature.
Last edited by Spuro on Sun May 12, 2019 2:35 am, edited 1 time in total.
eabaker wrote: You can't parse duende.
Breakdown wrote: HP Lovecraft's cat should be the ultimate villain of the MonsterVerse.

KillCrites
Interpol Agent

Post by KillCrites »

why did i have to be the chosen one?

LSD Jellyfish
Administrator
Administrator

Post by LSD Jellyfish »

I think the original poster wanted more of a horror driven film, in vein of the old Toho horror films. That seems more like at least a comedy.
Kaiju-King42 wrote:I'd say Matango counts. It's not a George Romaro style zombie film, but I think it fits by the general definition of the creature.
This. Matango isn’t a zombie film, but it sortve has that same vibe of people getting trapped on an island, and slowly becoming what they’re avoiding, as the group breaks down similar to many later Italian zombie films. I’d argue that Matango is actually a lot better then a majority of zombie films.

Actually, while reading this, it does make me want a remake of Matango. I think with the right director it could be a really cool film.
Last edited by GodzillavsJason on Sun May 12, 2019 7:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Spirit Ghidorah 2010 wrote: Sun Dec 03, 2023 4:54 pm Anno-san pleasures me more than Yamasaki-san.

Ben Shapiro
Interpol Agent

Post by Ben Shapiro »

I Am A Hero was pretty cool though, watched it about a month ago, there’s definitely some really freaky things going on there in that movie…

Plus there’s a schoolgirl zombie who fights other zombies and has a Tokyo Ghoul eye :huge:

Definitely worth a watch.
Last edited by Ben Shapiro on Sun May 12, 2019 7:41 am, edited 1 time in total.
Facts don't care about your feelings

MechaGoji Bro7503
Administrator
Administrator

Post by MechaGoji Bro7503 »

LSD Jellyfish wrote:
Actually, while reading this, it does make me want a remake of Matango. I think with the right director it could be a really cool film.
There were talks about a US remake a couple years ago but the filmmakers couldn't reach an agreement with Toho about some things.

https://wikizilla.org/wiki/Matango_(film)
Last edited by MechaGoji Bro7503 on Sun May 12, 2019 12:49 pm, edited 3 times in total.
"Bang on, mate.", - Murdoc Niccals 2018.

"Right, wrong... Nobody's got a clue what the difference is in this town. So I'm gonna have more fun... and live crazier than any of 'em." - Goro Majima.

Our G-Force a Kaiju Podcast: https://podcasts.apple.com/us/podcast/g ... 1509725595

For unique discussions on Ultraman, Godzilla, and much more check out my channel Tiger Drop Films: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCng0uL ... VCg/videos

Tyrant_Lizard_King
Sazer

Post by Tyrant_Lizard_King »

Yeah I think it was Steven Soderbergh.
Rocker, paleo buff, cryptid enthusiast, Dragonball fanatic, and lover of comic book, video game, manga, & anime babes!
Follow me on Twitter, if you dare! https://twitter.com/TLK_1983

Vakanai
EDF Instructor

Post by Vakanai »

Can't believe nobody made a joke about Shin looking like a zombie Godzilla...

I don't really care for most zombie movies myself, but considering the popularity of the genre and Toho's place in producing science fiction, it's only a matter of time.
I unapologetically, wholeheartedly, and without a doubt hate Godzilla vs Kong.

HillyHulk
Gotengo Officer

Post by HillyHulk »

Spoiler:
We do have a possibility with how Shin ended. Maybe while the creatures that were attached to Shin's tail can break free from the congulate thanks to the original's environmental adaption and wreak havoc on the people of Japan.