Were the SFX of Shin Godzilla good?

For the discussion of Shin Godzilla, Godzilla -1.0, the anime trilogy, Godzilla Singular Point and Toho produced and distributed films after 2015. Includes US movies financed by Toho like Detective Pikachu.
Shadd21
Samurai

Were the SFX of Shin Godzilla good?

Post by Shadd21 »

Just curious as i've never saw the film myself, was the cgi in that film on par the Monsterverse?

_JNavs_
Keizer

Re: Were the SFX of Shin Godzilla good?

Post by _JNavs_ »

You could just go on youtube and search all Godzilla 2016 scenes.

They were good, I like G14s atmospheric and lively CGI a lot more than Shins along with the more animalistic nature in the movement. Felt more alive. Plus ya know.. Hollywood budget.
Last edited by _JNavs_ on Sun Feb 17, 2019 7:47 pm, edited 4 times in total.
____________________________ImageImage___________________________
Instagram: @Lord.Gojira

UltramanGoji

Post by UltramanGoji »

Watch the movie and decide for yourself.

KillCrites
Interpol Agent

Post by KillCrites »

Absolutely, especially for a Japanese film.
why did i have to be the chosen one?

Terasawa
Xilien Halfling

Post by Terasawa »

On par with huge Hollywood productions? Absolutely not. But the CGI was more than good, and as KillCrites said, especially so for a Japanese production on that scale.
寺沢. He/him/his, etc.

BlankAccount
Sazer

Post by BlankAccount »

The one thing I dislike is the sounds of Tokyo being destroyed overpower the song Who Will Know (Tragedy).

They should have hired someone who knows how to layer them so you can hear both the song and sound effects just fine, I've seen shows, films, games and anime do this. Kind of a bummer sense this is a Japanese film with a good production quality.
Last edited by BlankAccount on Sun Feb 17, 2019 9:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.

JAGzilla
Sazer

Post by JAGzilla »

Well, we were initially told that Godzilla was being portrayed via suitmation, and I watched the whole movie assuming that was true, and without realizing he was 100% CGI. :lol: So I guess, to me at least, that automatically makes the effects good: they were sufficiently convincing and well-integrated into the overall visual design of the movie that I never gave any thought to how they were achieved.
"Stop wars and no more accidents. I guess that's all I can ask." -Akio

szmigiel
G-Force Personnel

Post by szmigiel »

I thought the CGI in Shin Godzilla was pretty much spot on and works very well. I like how they used a mix of model shots and CGI. There were a few minor issues, but probably fewer issues than I had with the CGI in the two Monsterverse films so far.

GojiDog
G-Grasper

Post by GojiDog »

Mostly yes. There are a few full CGI shots that are unconvincing, but for the most part, Godzilla looks like he's really there and some of the images are spectacular.
White Male Genocide is necessary.

Kill all white men.

Major sssspielberg!
EDF Instructor

Post by Major sssspielberg! »

There's a few shots that were truly spectacular, even compared to Hollywood CG. Overall tho the CG is really solid.
Kaltes-Herzeleid wrote: Thu Jan 06, 2022 9:44 am I love Final Wars. I praise Final Wars. Simple as.

Dr. Professor
Futurian

Post by Dr. Professor »

In my opinion, Shin Godzilla proves that you don't need a bloated budget in order to have convincing CGI.
Resized Image
(Art by Lisa Naffziger)

Co-host (Nick) of G-Force: A Kaiju Podcast
Twitter | Instagram | Facebook

RIP Evan A. Baker :serizawa:

kamilleblu
G-Grasper

Post by kamilleblu »

When keeping in mind the $15 million budget, short production schedule, and the huge workload I'd say Shinji Higuchi blew it out of the park. A lot of people thought Godzilla was an actual suit and everything else was virtually seamless. And, even more impressive, most of the effects took place in daylight.

Mr_Goji_and_Watch
EDF Instructor

Post by Mr_Goji_and_Watch »

kamilleblu wrote:When keeping in mind the $15 million budget, short production schedule, and the huge workload I'd say Shinji Higuchi blew it out of the park. A lot of people thought Godzilla was an actual suit and everything else was virtually seamless. And, even more impressive, most of the effects took place in daylight.
Yeah, I saw a lot of people making fun of Shin Godzilla for using suits and puppets in spite of the creature being entirely CGI. There are some shots where the lighting, animation, and/or physics are a bit weak but it's a great looking film that sells it's set pieces as effectively as most Hollywood productions.
Moogabunga wrote:Ive said it before and I'll gladly say it again, this is going to be the best Godzilla film ever and more importantly, its going to be the film that truly makes Godzilla mainstream (and cool)
SoggyNoodles2016 wrote:I'm glad to be a fake fan.

Major sssspielberg!
EDF Instructor

Post by Major sssspielberg! »

Dr. Professor wrote:In my opinion, Shin Godzilla proves that you don't need a bloated budget in order to have convincing CGI.
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Passionate effort and skill can make better product than throwing piles of money at something.
Kaltes-Herzeleid wrote: Thu Jan 06, 2022 9:44 am I love Final Wars. I praise Final Wars. Simple as.

Dr. Professor
Futurian

Post by Dr. Professor »

Major sssspielberg! wrote:
Dr. Professor wrote:In my opinion, Shin Godzilla proves that you don't need a bloated budget in order to have convincing CGI.
Passionate effort and skill can make better product than throwing piles of money at something.
Exactly, man.
Resized Image
(Art by Lisa Naffziger)

Co-host (Nick) of G-Force: A Kaiju Podcast
Twitter | Instagram | Facebook

RIP Evan A. Baker :serizawa:

Tyrant_Lizard_King
Sazer

Post by Tyrant_Lizard_King »

Shin looks amazing for the most part. Godzilla's movements are a bit wonky in a couple sequences but otherwise is particularly impressive for what it is.

Added in 1 minute 45 seconds:
Major sssspielberg! wrote:
District 9 cost $30 million and it has quite possibly the most convincing CGI i've ever seen.
Rocker, paleo buff, cryptid enthusiast, Dragonball fanatic, and lover of comic book, video game, manga, & anime babes!
Follow me on Twitter, if you dare! https://twitter.com/TLK_1983

tbeasley
EDF Instructor

Post by tbeasley »

I miss suitmation and wish they could've gotten that great big Godzilla prop to work but I thought the final film was an excellent combination of real photography (all the city shots), digital effects and practical model/miniatures work - at least that stuff is alive and well. But the general look, feel and approach to things is what I enjoyed the most - showing Godzilla right in the open in broad daylight, going all out with the beams, the music and sound effects.

GoWhaleTours
JXSDF Technician

Post by GoWhaleTours »

Only CGI that was iffy to me was Kamata-Kun and the blood.
GO GO GOJI KUN

KingKaiju
Futurian

Post by KingKaiju »

Yes!! The CGI was fantastic. It wasn't Hollywood $200 million budget good, but it was good! Prior to the release, I told my cousins that it looks like a guy in a suit, which I thought was great!

Mr_Goji_and_Watch
EDF Instructor

Post by Mr_Goji_and_Watch »

absolute kinography....
Moogabunga wrote:Ive said it before and I'll gladly say it again, this is going to be the best Godzilla film ever and more importantly, its going to be the film that truly makes Godzilla mainstream (and cool)
SoggyNoodles2016 wrote:I'm glad to be a fake fan.