A new Showa canon film?

For the discussion of Shin Godzilla, Godzilla -1.0, the anime trilogy, Godzilla Singular Point and Toho produced and distributed films after 2015. Includes US movies financed by Toho like Detective Pikachu.
LockBite
JXSDF Technician

A new Showa canon film?

Post by LockBite »

Look, this doesn’t seem to be the direction Godzilla is heading, but let’s just entertain the notion for the fun of it.

Would you be game for a continuation of the Showa series? What would you want it to be like? A 60s or 70s period piece? A present-day sequel to Destroy All Monsters? Let’s chat about this!

_JNavs_
Keizer

Re: A new Showa canon film?

Post by _JNavs_ »

Doubt it'd work. At most a Ultraman styled tv show I guess could work, but they'd end up overusing the human characters to the point where Godzilla would become a side character.
____________________________ImageImage___________________________
Instagram: @Lord.Gojira

UltramanGoji

Post by UltramanGoji »

I'd love a 60's/70's period piece Godzilla film. Something with a simple plot that pays homage to Honda's works would be fantastic.

I've also always loved the idea of a comedy about the making of Godzilla 54 in the style of films like The Disaster Artist.

LSD Jellyfish
Administrator
Administrator

Post by LSD Jellyfish »

LockBite wrote:Look, this doesn’t seem to be the direction Godzilla is heading, but let’s just entertain the notion for the fun of it.

Would you be game for a continuation of the Showa series? What would you want it to be like? A 60s or 70s period piece? A present-day sequel to Destroy All Monsters? Let’s chat about this!
Unless we could magically resurrect a lot of the 60s and 70s directors I wouldn’t want this. While I like it, we pretty much already saw what a showa film in the millennium would like in the form of GFW. Unless it has real love and care poured into it, there’s no point in continuing the showa series, especially because it was the series with the most entries.

I think what people mean when they say they want a continuation of the showa series, is that they want a film that is stylistically similar to films like GTTHM or GVMG, with sound stages and fantastic music, as well as Japanese fashion nostalgia.
Spirit Ghidorah 2010 wrote: Sun Dec 03, 2023 4:54 pm Anno-san pleasures me more than Yamasaki-san.

JAGzilla
Sazer

Post by JAGzilla »

What about sort of a soft reboot? It could take place today, maybe post-DAM, maybe not, and the world features things like a long established Monster Island, Showa-esque designs and monster menagerie. There could be sort of a vague, general idea that all these crazy events have taken place over the years, maybe with some specific references to "that time Godziller and Jet Jaguar fought off the Seatopian invasion" or whatever... but, just like the actual Showa era, nothing is really set in stone and the filmmakers can take whatever liberties they want or need to, within reason.
"Stop wars and no more accidents. I guess that's all I can ask." -Akio

MechaGoji Bro7503
Administrator
Administrator

Post by MechaGoji Bro7503 »

FW was definitely not a modern Showa film in my opinion, even though it had golden age actors. I absolutely love the Showa era, and films like Shin have that imaginative, ambitious feel that a good portion of Showa films captured.

Leave the Showa Era where it is, as it will most definitely continue to inspire the rest of the franchise. Hire great filmmakers that are hungry to tell a high quality story, and this franchise will reign supreme over time.
Last edited by MechaGoji Bro7503 on Thu Feb 28, 2019 7:56 am, edited 1 time in total.
"Bang on, mate.", - Murdoc Niccals 2018.

"Right, wrong... Nobody's got a clue what the difference is in this town. So I'm gonna have more fun... and live crazier than any of 'em." - Goro Majima.

Our G-Force a Kaiju Podcast: https://podcasts.apple.com/us/podcast/g ... 1509725595

For unique discussions on Ultraman, Godzilla, and much more check out my channel Tiger Drop Films: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCng0uL ... VCg/videos

eabaker
Administrator
Administrator

Post by eabaker »

MechaGoji Bro7503 wrote:FW was definitely not a modern Showa film in my opinion, even though it had golden age actors. I absolutely love the Showa era, and films like Shin have that imaginative, ambitious feel that a good portion of Showa films captured.
Stylistically Godzilla Final Wars is precisely of its hyperactive xtreme mid-oughts cultural moment. To whatever degree it was reflective of the Showa era, it was in a snarky, condescending way, far more affectation and maybe even parody than continuation or faithful pastiche.

I had a similar thought about Shin. It was tonally reminiscent of early Showa flicks like Gojira and Rodan, while still telling its own distinctly contemporary story.
Leave the Showa Era where it is, as it will most definitely continue to inspire the rest of the franchise. Hire great filmmakers that are hungry to tell a high quality story, and this franchise will reign supreme over time.
Absolutely. It's possible to more forward without losing sight of the past. But time is like a river, and if you swim against the current, you'll drown.
Tokyo, a smoldering memorial to the unknown, an unknown which at this very moment still prevails and could at any time lash out with its terrible destruction anywhere else in the world.

Dr. Professor
Futurian

Post by Dr. Professor »

I've always felt that Godzilla 2000, or at least the American cut of it, always felt somewhat like a modern Showa film. Never got that vibe from GFW.
Last edited by Dr. Professor on Thu Feb 28, 2019 8:37 am, edited 1 time in total.
Resized Image
(Art by Lisa Naffziger)

Co-host (Nick) of G-Force: A Kaiju Podcast
Twitter | Instagram | Facebook

RIP Evan A. Baker :serizawa:

LegendZilla
Sazer

Post by LegendZilla »

They should make movies that re-visit older continuities generally speaking.

Maritonic
Admin | Forum Manager
Admin | Forum Manager

Post by Maritonic »

They should only reference the origin films for their respective kaiju: meaning Mothra, Gojira, Rodan, Garantuas, etc. Have the origin films well established, then move forward.
Any issues, please feel free to private message me or e-mail me at MaritonicTK@gmail.com.
Bruno says we're not supposed to hate.
MechaGoji Bro7503 wrote: Tue Jan 31, 2023 3:24 pm Don't go to a friend's wedding, send him 100 copies of Gamera vs Zigra instead. Be a man.

LSD Jellyfish
Administrator
Administrator

Post by LSD Jellyfish »

Maritonic wrote:They should only reference the origin films for their respective kaiju: meaning Mothra, Gojira, Rodan, Garantuas, etc. Have the origin films well established, then move forward.
I’d be fine with this, but that’s basically what a majority of the millennium series did to a degree
Spirit Ghidorah 2010 wrote: Sun Dec 03, 2023 4:54 pm Anno-san pleasures me more than Yamasaki-san.

GojiDog
G-Grasper

Post by GojiDog »

I guess you could say Godzilla X Mechagodzilla and Godzilla Tokyo SOS kind of did that. The back story for those films cherry picked some films (Gojira 54, Mothra, and War of the Gargantuas) to use to explain how the world is the way it is (with any films not mentioned being assumed to be non canon)

But man, if they just dovetailed off of Terror of Mechagodzilla and picked up in the modern age with an aged superhero Godzilla and give the King his version of Old Man Logan....I would strangely be okay with that.
White Male Genocide is necessary.

Kill all white men.

Maritonic
Admin | Forum Manager
Admin | Forum Manager

Post by Maritonic »

LSD Jellyfish wrote:
Maritonic wrote:They should only reference the origin films for their respective kaiju: meaning Mothra, Gojira, Rodan, Garantuas, etc. Have the origin films well established, then move forward.
I’d be fine with this, but that’s basically what a majority of the millennium series did to a degree
I should be more clear: I meant more like in the Heisei style where '84 went forward from Gojira. This new series could start with Mothra, Rodan, Gojira, all the "origin" solo outings behind it, and have the continuity branch from there. Not have each film start from that point.
Any issues, please feel free to private message me or e-mail me at MaritonicTK@gmail.com.
Bruno says we're not supposed to hate.
MechaGoji Bro7503 wrote: Tue Jan 31, 2023 3:24 pm Don't go to a friend's wedding, send him 100 copies of Gamera vs Zigra instead. Be a man.

eabaker
Administrator
Administrator

Post by eabaker »

Maritonic wrote:
LSD Jellyfish wrote:
I should be more clear: I meant more like in the Heisei style where '84 went forward from Gojira. This new series could start with Mothra, Rodan, Gojira, all the "origin" solo outings behind it, and have the continuity branch from there. Not have each film start from that point.
Yeah, one thing I liked about the Showa movies starting in the early 60s was how much the existence of the monsters was just a given from the outset of the story.
Tokyo, a smoldering memorial to the unknown, an unknown which at this very moment still prevails and could at any time lash out with its terrible destruction anywhere else in the world.

KaijuKing1998
Young Farmer

Post by KaijuKing1998 »

This may sound a little weird, but I would like a movie that tells the end of Zone Fighter. This would be cool, but lets be honest it will never happen. -_-

Ben Shapiro
Interpol Agent

Post by Ben Shapiro »

UltramanGoji wrote:
I've also always loved the idea of a comedy about the making of Godzilla 54 in the style of films like The Disaster Artist.
I apologize for quoting a weeks old post but this has to be one of the most brilliant ideas I’ve ever heard.

Ben approves.
Last edited by Ben Shapiro on Mon Mar 04, 2019 3:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Facts don't care about your feelings

LegendZilla
Sazer

Post by LegendZilla »

I don’t know what’s preventing Toho from re-visiting older continuities.

UltramanGoji

Post by UltramanGoji »

It's far easier to make a film without having the restraints of previous ones' stories to keep track of.

Dr. Professor
Futurian

Post by Dr. Professor »

LegendZilla wrote:I don’t know what’s preventing Toho from re-visiting older continuities.
The general audience? Potential new fans?
Resized Image
(Art by Lisa Naffziger)

Co-host (Nick) of G-Force: A Kaiju Podcast
Twitter | Instagram | Facebook

RIP Evan A. Baker :serizawa:

Terasawa
Xilien Halfling

Post by Terasawa »

LegendZilla wrote:I don’t know what’s preventing Toho from re-visiting older continuities.
They did with the Kiryu films.

I think most filmmakers don’t want to go backwards when they could create something new. These are creative people more than fans. That’s why Tezuka, who’s a huge fan, is the only one to loosely continue from films made when he was a child.
寺沢. He/him/his, etc.