How Would You Improve the Anime Saga?

For the discussion of Shin Godzilla, the Godzilla anime trilogy and Toho produced and distributed films after 2015. Includes US movies financed by Toho like Detective Pikachu.
Living Corpse
Seatopian Daikaiju

Re: How Would You Improve the Anime Saga?

Postby Living Corpse » Fri Jul 19, 2019 11:27 am

1. More hand drawn animation like the gif.

2. More eye catching colors like the gif. Kaiju beams would look amazing.

3. I like Lovecraft, and I like Godzilla, but pulling the two off together can be hard and I feel the anime trilogy dropped the ball there, so as much as I hate to say it play it safe. Just make it a traditional Godzilla movie but in anime form.

4. Actually give the characters development. Don't let one MC Ahab hug the spotlight.

5. Don't make two movies ahead of time before the first one is out when you don't even know how well the first one is gonna perform, skreeonking wait before deciding to make sequels.

_JNavs_
E.S.P.Spy

Postby _JNavs_ » Fri Jul 19, 2019 11:42 am

MechaGoji Bro7503 wrote:
_JNavs_ wrote:
third one be Planet Eater with a more active and present group of kaiju.

Can ya elaborate on this?
Sure,

I felt Godzilla and Ghidorah (as well as the .5 second cameo from Mothra's shadow) did little to nothing exciting during the entire film, I also feel like there were so many kaiju introduced during the initial big apocalypse, yet there's not one single returning monster in any of these 3 films, so the universe feels barren, bland, boring and wasted. I would've liked to see passing cameos, or even small subplots with other surviving monsters, mainly the B-C Listers who would've realistically survived, Manda, Varan, Anguirus, Zilla etc etc. For the anime in general, I would've liked a more active animation style, for example, faster, more agile Godzilla and co.

With that in mind and set up in the first 2 films, I would've liked a DAM styled Planet Eater, with more things actually going on during each act.
Sith Apprentice. SaveTheAmazon. "What do you get when you cross a mentally ill loner with a society that abandons him and treats him like trash?... I'll tell you what you get... YOU GET WHAT YOU F**ING DESERVE!"- Joker 2k19

Destoroyah of Worlds
JXSDF Technician

Postby Destoroyah of Worlds » Fri Jul 19, 2019 11:30 pm

Honestly? I thought the people talked too damn much.

When you have to have horrible exposition over what should be enjoyable monster action, you're doing something wrong.

I would have made whoever wrote those scripts read a book about screenplays and the rule of "Show, Don't Tell." And had them do massive rewrites. Because it was written like a comic book. It reads like a comic book. There's constant unnecessary exposition.
Last edited by Destoroyah of Worlds on Fri Jul 19, 2019 11:31 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Come fourth, Ghidorah! Great Golden Winged Destroyer; deliver onto us a beautiful demise!

Living Corpse
Seatopian Daikaiju

Postby Living Corpse » Sat Jul 20, 2019 1:19 am

A proper fight with Ghidorah once his link that made him invulnerable was broken would have been nice. Seriously he goes from the strongest thing in the multi-verse to a piece of paper.

You can tell me Void Ghidorah kills off entire multi-verses but I was more impressed by Monsterverse King Ghidorah's character than any feats we're told about with Anime Ghidorah. I don't know how they did it, but they found a way to make anime Ghidorah so powerful it's boring and stupid so I don't care anymore and then so pathetically weak I feel robbed of fight when he get's massacred.

GuardianGhido
JXSDF Technician

Postby GuardianGhido » Sat Jul 20, 2019 1:58 am

Living Corpse wrote:A proper fight with Ghidorah once his link that made him invulnerable was broken would have been nice. Seriously he goes from the strongest thing in the multi-verse to a piece of paper..

That's the exact thing that feels missing from most Ghidorah fights. Ghidorah starts off stronger, something happens and bam, he goes down like a chump. Sure you could say the same thing happened with MV Ghidorah but the thing that ended up killing him was BURNING GODZILLA. (And even then he has a dormant severed head left which might regenerate later)

Anime Ghidorah was hyped out as a planet devouring eldritch abomination that makes Godzilla seem like nothing. Then he ends up being so dependent on the Exif's summoning ritual and helpless without it that it feels like he's a pawn of the Exif rather than the other way around.
DirektorSplennic wrote:Mr Goji, eabaker, and LSD are like the (un)Holy Trinity of Kaiju Kino.

Living Corpse
Seatopian Daikaiju

Postby Living Corpse » Sat Jul 20, 2019 2:31 am

GuardianGhido wrote:
Living Corpse wrote:A proper fight with Ghidorah once his link that made him invulnerable was broken would have been nice. Seriously he goes from the strongest thing in the multi-verse to a piece of paper..

That's the exact thing that feels missing from most Ghidorah fights. Ghidorah starts off stronger, something happens and bam, he goes down like a chump. Sure you could say the same thing happened with MV Ghidorah but the thing that ended up killing him was BURNING GODZILLA. (And even then he has a dormant severed head left which might regenerate later)

Anime Ghidorah was hyped out as a planet devouring eldritch abomination that makes Godzilla seem like nothing. Then he ends up being so dependent on the Exif's summoning ritual and helpless without it that it feels like he's a pawn of the Exif rather than the other way around.

I'd argue Heisei King Ghidorah did pretty well when his mind control broke, strangling Godzilla, if Godzilla didn't have a Nuclear Pulse he'd be dead. Showa Ghidorah was also willing to help Gigan keep fighting once they got over their confusion.

GuardianGhido
JXSDF Technician

Postby GuardianGhido » Sat Jul 20, 2019 3:02 am

Living Corpse wrote:
GuardianGhido wrote:

I'd argue Heisei King Ghidorah did pretty well when his mind control broke, strangling Godzilla, if Godzilla didn't have a Nuclear Pulse he'd be dead. Showa Ghidorah was also willing to help Gigan keep fighting once they got over their confusion.

Yeah despite being a pathetic weakling that Godzilla could beat on his own without any trouble, Heisei actually put up a good fight compared to some Ghidorah's. Showa was a powerhouse most of the time despite the mind control and usually needed more than one opponent in order to truly defeat him, and even then he just ran away before being actually badly hurt quite a few times.
Last edited by GuardianGhido on Sat Jul 20, 2019 3:02 am, edited 1 time in total.
DirektorSplennic wrote:Mr Goji, eabaker, and LSD are like the (un)Holy Trinity of Kaiju Kino.

Living Corpse
Seatopian Daikaiju

Postby Living Corpse » Sat Jul 20, 2019 10:42 am

So frustrating cause Anime Ghidorah had a cool build up with his shadow consuming people's shadows, killing them. And he was not only an alien from space but from another reality as well.

GuardianGhido
JXSDF Technician

Postby GuardianGhido » Sat Jul 20, 2019 11:06 am

Living Corpse wrote:So frustrating cause Anime Ghidorah had a cool build up with his shadow consuming people's shadows, killing them. And he was not only an alien from space but from another reality as well.

Origins and background wise he might be my absolute favorite Ghidorah. He's not only alien to our world, but alien to our very universe. And they kept his malevolent destroyer role too. They even gave him a death cult that worships him (something I really like Ghidorah to have) and carries out his wishes. But then he ends up barely doing anything at all and gets curbstomped after Metphies is dealt with. They even did the same with MG, imagine if the city's structures split off and merged into a mech 5 times taller than Godzilla, but no we just got a buncha turrets that were blown to bits easily. Even Earth, being the biggest Godzilla of them all is almost inanimate in his movements (fitting with his plant origins). The anime just follows a huge pattern of building up things with cool origins and backgrounds then just giving us garbage letdowns. If it followed up on any of the stuff it promiesd, it could have been awesome, espeically with the medium being anime which could have made the monsters incredibly dynamic...instead we got CGI blobs that move around even less than the suits did. What a disappointment.
Last edited by GuardianGhido on Sat Jul 20, 2019 11:07 am, edited 1 time in total.

mikelcho
Interpol Agent

Postby mikelcho » Sat Jul 20, 2019 1:49 pm

GuardianGhido wrote:
Living Corpse wrote:So frustrating cause Anime Ghidorah had a cool build up with his shadow consuming people's shadows, killing them. And he was not only an alien from space but from another reality as well.

Origins and background wise he might be my absolute favorite Ghidorah. He's not only alien to our world, but alien to our very universe. And they kept his malevolent destroyer role too. They even gave him a death cult that worships him (something I really like Ghidorah to have) and carries out his wishes. But then he ends up barely doing anything at all and gets curbstomped after Metphies is dealt with. They even did the same with MG, imagine if the city's structures split off and merged into a mech 5 times taller than Godzilla, but no we just got a buncha turrets that were blown to bits easily. Even Earth, being the biggest Godzilla of them all is almost inanimate in his movements (fitting with his plant origins). The anime just follows a huge pattern of building up things with cool origins and backgrounds then just giving us garbage letdowns. If it followed up on any of the stuff it promiesd, it could have been awesome, espeically with the medium being anime which could have made the monsters incredibly dynamic...instead we got CGI blobs that move around even less than the suits did. What a disappointment.
This mention of Earth Godzilla's movements reminded me of the Swamp Thing back in the day, particularly Swamp Thing #11 where he found out that, if he stood in one spot for so long, he'd begin to take root just like a plant. Then, years later (our time) in Swamp Thing (vol. 2) #37, he found out that he could let his body die in one place and re-grow it somewhere else.

That would've been a great power for this Godzilla, wouldn't it?

Return to “Reiwa Era (2015-Present)”