How could Toho make Godzilla even "weirder"? What new directions might they go in after 2020?

For the discussion of Shin Godzilla, Godzilla -1.0, the anime trilogy, Godzilla Singular Point and Toho produced and distributed films after 2015. Includes US movies financed by Toho like Detective Pikachu.
AllosaurHell
Monarch Researcher

Re: How could Toho make Godzilla even "weirder"? What new directions might they go in after 2020?

Post by AllosaurHell »

Kaltes-Herzeleid wrote: Fri Nov 20, 2020 9:40 am Honestly I think the supernatural/cosmic implications have always been apart of Godzilla. He's essentially a god unleashed by the splitting of the atom. Mothra is explicitly a deity and you look at the way King Ghidorah emerges from the asteroid...clearly not what one would label a "scientifically natural" thing. To me, it's always been there. Movies like GMK and KotM just place more emphasis on it. Plus the Gamera trilogy.
I still prefer to look at Godzilla himself being the one natural creature that was simply empowered by nuclear activity, he was simply a dinosaur/reptilian prior to that.
A maker of fun cartoons and puppets for everyone's entertainment on my YouTube channel "Allosaur House"
Your local stan of Lone Wolf Baron Corbin, Shin Godzilla and Dinosaur enthusiast and Mexican young adult that lives in Canada.

You can find me elsewhere here: https://linktr.ee/AllosaurHouse

LegendZilla
Sazer

Re: How could Toho make Godzilla even "weirder"? What new directions might they go in after 2020?

Post by LegendZilla »

I would imagine that most of you would've gotten your fill of "weird" Godzillas with both Shin and the Polygon trilogy. I think now is the time to hold back and get a more plain Godzilla next time around.

ClandestineCanine9
Monarch Researcher

Post by ClandestineCanine9 »

LegendZilla wrote: Sat Nov 21, 2020 8:56 pm I would imagine that most of you would've gotten your fill of "weird" Godzillas with both Shin and the Polygon trilogy
nope.
Shin was lit and I want more
the Earth trilogy was shit and I want something good
that wasn't very cash money of you
モスラ! ゴジラ! ギドラ!

Kaltes-Herzeleid
JXSDF Technician

Post by Kaltes-Herzeleid »

Make God's Godzilla, you cowards.
Resized Image

Gigantis
Sazer

Post by Gigantis »

Kaltes-Herzeleid wrote: Sun Nov 22, 2020 9:30 am Make God's Godzilla, you cowards.
Yeah and then Toho studio's becomes a victim of arson because hardcore Christians think it portrays their religion in a bad light. The end. :P

A guy who randomly stumbled upon this place one day, invested much too much time into it, and now appears to be stuck here for all eternity..and strangely enough, i do not regret it!

Terasawa
Xilien Halfling

Post by Terasawa »

Gigantis wrote: Sun Nov 22, 2020 9:52 am
Kaltes-Herzeleid wrote: Sun Nov 22, 2020 9:30 am Make God's Godzilla, you cowards.
Yeah and then Toho studio's becomes a victim of arson because hardcore Christians think it portrays their religion in a bad light. The end. :P
Tongue in cheek comment, I know, but I feel that would be a much more American response. Of course there are millions of Christians in Japan, but I don't think the radical evangelicals (for lack of a better term) make up such a large proportion of the religious population as they do here. I think you're more likely to see terrorism and threats against Japanese studios and filmmakers when they do something to upset the hardcore otaku (such as the Kyoto Animation arson and the death threats Anno received at the conclusion of NGE).
寺沢. He/him/his, etc.

Gigantis
Sazer

Post by Gigantis »

Terasawa wrote: Sun Nov 22, 2020 10:07 am
Tongue in cheek comment, I know, but I feel that would be a much more American response. Of course there are millions of Christians in Japan, but I don't think the radical evangelicals (for lack of a better term) make up such a large proportion of the religious population as they do here. I think you're more likely to see terrorism and threats against Japanese studios and filmmakers when they do something to upset the hardcore otaku (such as the Kyoto Animation arson and the death threats Anno received at the conclusion of NGE).
I mean i was just talking about people around the world in particular really, not just Japan. I never really thought Christians were a super stronghold religion in the East anyway.

A guy who randomly stumbled upon this place one day, invested much too much time into it, and now appears to be stuck here for all eternity..and strangely enough, i do not regret it!

gottatalktothefake
Futurian

Post by gottatalktothefake »

Gigantis wrote: Sun Nov 22, 2020 10:27 am
Terasawa wrote: Sun Nov 22, 2020 10:07 am
I mean i was just talking about people around the world in particular really, not just Japan. I never really thought Christians were a super stronghold religion in the East anyway.
Interesting fact, while only like 1% of Japan is Christian, estimates have about 80 to 90% of Japan celebrating Christmas. Look up KFC for Christmas, it's a huge tradition to get KFC for Christmas over there thanks to a marketing campaign way back by KFC.
GojiSquid wrote: Tue Oct 31, 2023 7:58 am TBF if a movie has a sex scene without a monster mash, then is it really a graveyard smash?

edgaguirus
Keizer

Post by edgaguirus »

I have a mental image of a giant chicken taking revenge on Japan for KFC Christmas.
The secret of life is honesty and fair dealing. If you can fake that, you've got it made.

The strength of the vampire is that people will not believe in him.

Kaltes-Herzeleid
JXSDF Technician

Post by Kaltes-Herzeleid »

Have a close friend who lived in Japan for years and given the photos they shared once KFC Christmas is absolutely real. One time a year you might need actual reservations at KFC.
Resized Image

shadowgigan
Futurian

Post by shadowgigan »

Not sure if Godzilla himself needs to be any weirder. I could go for perhaps the plot being a little more complex, but I'm kind of itching for the next Godzilla to be more traditional, at least in terms of appearance.

LegendZilla
Sazer

Post by LegendZilla »

ClandestineCanine9 wrote: Sun Nov 22, 2020 8:52 am
LegendZilla wrote: Sat Nov 21, 2020 8:56 pm I would imagine that most of you would've gotten your fill of "weird" Godzillas with both Shin and the Polygon trilogy
nope.
the Earth trilogy was poop and I want something good
How did Shin get it right, yet not the Polygon trilogy?

SoggyNoodles2016

Post by SoggyNoodles2016 »

LegendZilla wrote: Sun Nov 22, 2020 8:50 pm
ClandestineCanine9 wrote: Sun Nov 22, 2020 8:52 am
nope.
the Earth trilogy was poop and I want something good
How did Shin get it right, yet not the Polygon trilogy?
Shin actually had a reason for making Godzilla weird and acted on almost all of it's thematic potential vs only using like 45% of it like the plant boi? (and this is coming from someone who actually enjoys the Polygon series)

RIP Evan.

LegendZilla
Sazer

Post by LegendZilla »

^I wouldn't be surprised if Toho made Godzilla a giant cloud like Galactus in Rise of the Silver Surfer and you all welcomed such a version of the character with open arms. So long as the movie itself was good as him being a cloud served some thematic purpose.

Gigantis
Sazer

Post by Gigantis »

LegendZilla wrote: Mon Nov 23, 2020 2:03 pm ^I wouldn't be surprised if Toho made Godzilla a giant cloud like Galactus in Rise of the Silver Surfer and you all welcomed such a version of the character with open arms. So long as the movie itself was good as him being a cloud served some thematic purpose.
Uh, no? There's still a point of going too far here, and that's almost as bad as what Emmerich and Develin did.

shadowgigan
Futurian

Post by shadowgigan »

The anime trilogy doesn't fail for me because of its "weirdness" but because of its execution of said weirdness and its lack of rewarding the audience after "subverting our expectation", so to say (for example subverting our expectations regarding MechaGodzilla without proper payoff).

LegendZilla
Sazer

Post by LegendZilla »

shadowgigan wrote: Mon Nov 23, 2020 2:42 pm The anime trilogy doesn't fail for me because of its "weirdness" but because of its execution of said weirdness and its lack of rewarding the audience after "subverting our expectation", so to say (for example subverting our expectations regarding MechaGodzilla without proper payoff).
Would've GINO worked better if it had been executed properly even with the deviations from what makes Godzilla, well Godzilla?

*edit*
Gigantis wrote: Mon Nov 23, 2020 2:10 pmUh, no? There's still a point of going too far here, and that's almost as bad as what Emmerich and Develin did.
I imagine that nothing would be too far for people like yourself, so long as Godzilla looked and acted the part.
Last edited by LegendZilla on Mon Nov 23, 2020 11:02 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Gigantis
Sazer

Post by Gigantis »

LegendZilla wrote: Mon Nov 23, 2020 9:08 pm
I imagine that nothing would be too far for people like yourself, so long as Godzilla looked and acted the part.
Yeah and Godzilla can't look like himself if he's a cloud.

DirektorSplennic
EDF Instructor

Post by DirektorSplennic »

Gigantis wrote: Tue Nov 24, 2020 3:48 am
Yeah and Godzilla can't look like himself if he's a cloud.
Legendzilla has managed to contradict himself in like two posts. Is that a new record?

shadowgigan
Futurian

Post by shadowgigan »

shadowgigan wrote: Mon Nov 23, 2020 2:42 pm The anime trilogy doesn't fail for me because of its "weirdness" but because of its execution of said weirdness and its lack of rewarding the audience after "subverting our expectation", so to say (for example subverting our expectations regarding MechaGodzilla without proper payoff).
Would've GINO worked better if it had been executed properly even with the deviations from what makes Godzilla, well Godzilla?
You are assuming GINO doesn't work for me. That was my first Godzilla film, where this all began. Its not my favorite by a long shot, but I dont hate the film. It's definitely not as boring as the anime trilogy, at least IMO.