How could Toho make Godzilla even "weirder"? What new directions might they go in after 2020?

For the discussion of Shin Godzilla, Godzilla -1.0, the anime trilogy, Godzilla Singular Point and Toho produced and distributed films after 2015. Includes US movies financed by Toho like Detective Pikachu.
Gailah 1966
Monarch Researcher

Re: How could Toho make Godzilla even "weirder"? What new directions might they go in after 2020?

Post by Gailah 1966 »

Gerdzerl wrote:As the title above says, assuming the next Toho Godzilla incarnation after 2020 is 'nontraditional', like the incarnations featured in Shin Godzilla and the GODZILLA anime trilogy, how could they top Godzilla Earth's origins as a plant-based lifeform? I'm not entirely sure myself, but, off the top of my head, here are a bunch of ideas for directions they might possibly (emphasis on might possibly, none of these are actually likely at all) go in:

Godzilla as a mammal.
Godzilla being female instead of male.
Godzilla as a dragon.
Godzilla as an alien.
Godzilla as a demon.
Godzilla as a genetically-engineered creature.
Godzilla as an intangible, ghostly nature spirit instead of a physical being.
Godzilla being a shapeshifter.
Godzilla as a magical being/explicitly having magic-based powers.
Godzilla having feathers/being bird-like.
Godzilla not being able to swim.
Godzilla not having atomic breath/dorsal plates/a tail.
Godzilla having more than four limbs and/or multiple heads.
Godzilla having wings/being able to fly in a way other than how he did in Godzilla vs. Hedorah.
Godzilla being able to speak fluently and have conversations with human characters.
Godzilla making and/or using tools and/or technology.
Godzilla being much shorter in height than 50 meters.
Godzilla having a color palette nobody was expecting for him, such as pink skin and a yellow atomic breath.
Godzilla having a completely new roar that sounds nothing like any of his previous roars.

Again, I seriously doubt that Toho would do any of the above, these are just examples.

What do you guys think they might do, assuming they decide to make another "weird" Godzilla?
You listed some nice ideas there but I think there is only one true way TOHO will go. And this will be: BACK TO THE ROOTS!
A normal sized kaiju and normal sized enemys combined with emotional interaction with humans (human lead characters like Miki in the Heisei series)
The older fans demand it! They need some great times like Showa or Heisei to watch before they die!
BIG FAN SURVEY 2023 --> viewtopic.php?t=34920
BIG FAN SURVEY 2020 --> viewtopic.php?t=30470
Video of 2020´s results --> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JUxyzsQxwa4

Gigantis
Sazer

Re: How could Toho make Godzilla even "weirder"? What new directions might they go in after 2020?

Post by Gigantis »

I still like the alien Godzilla concept. The genetically engineered one i wouldn't mind also since that's what his origin was suppose to be in the lost 94 draft.

The rest of them though? get that outta here! :P

A guy who randomly stumbled upon this place one day, invested much too much time into it, and now appears to be stuck here for all eternity..and strangely enough, i do not regret it!

Stump Feet
Gotengo Officer

Post by Stump Feet »

Godzilla as a living mushroom cloud :P
*Looks at GKOTM’s box office numbers*
Long Live The Sting

_JNavs_
Keizer

Post by _JNavs_ »

Make Godzilla a dying old pissed off human Vet who receives no respect for his years of service, as soon as he dies, he has raw putrid hate, a "Godzilla" grow out of his stomach like some massive tumor, eventually growing to Godzilla proportions. Maybe for extra gross-out factor, add the vets corpse to Godzilla's overall design, implying the hatred completely consumed said person, eventually having his corpse fall off Godzilla, ""like a turd in the wind"

Building off that GMK/Nasty Shin vibe.
Last edited by _JNavs_ on Tue Aug 20, 2019 2:19 pm, edited 3 times in total.
____________________________ImageImage___________________________
Instagram: @Lord.Gojira

LSD Jellyfish
Administrator
Administrator

Post by LSD Jellyfish »

Stump Feet wrote:Godzilla as a living mushroom cloud :P
https://www.tohokingdom.com/concept_art ... ad_01.html
There`s precedent. I honestly wouldn't be against making a Godzilla more like this in the future.
Last edited by LSD Jellyfish on Tue Aug 20, 2019 5:33 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Spirit Ghidorah 2010 wrote: Sun Dec 03, 2023 4:54 pm Anno-san pleasures me more than Yamasaki-san.

Stump Feet
Gotengo Officer

Post by Stump Feet »

That’s one of my favorite pieces of concept art, reminds me of that old monster Pumpkinhead from the 80’s.

I imagine a Godzilla-esq. shaped mushroom cloud that brings atomic hellfire to whatever it touches. Basically a living detonating nuke.
*Looks at GKOTM’s box office numbers*
Long Live The Sting

Komenja
Interpol Agent

Post by Komenja »

Adapt that "Monster Warrior Godzilla" story from that one anthology manga. Y'know, this
Spoiler:
Resized Image

Olzh26
Interpol Agent

Post by Olzh26 »

I am conservative in this case. Shin and anime were weird as much as possible. go beyond this is not worth it, in my opinion. but I don't mind the little ones
and interesting additions to the classic look. for example, make Godzilla a more sea monster, with a tail fin like whales
Last edited by Olzh26 on Sat Aug 24, 2019 3:27 am, edited 2 times in total.

Dynomy-DX
Interpol Agent

Post by Dynomy-DX »

I like the idea of a genetically engineered Godzilla, or one who can make/use tools and technology. I’ll be fine with whatever Godzilla we get next to be honest, as long as it’s a good movie that does the character justice.
Reignited... and hopefully less weird this time around.

I'm a guy with simple interests. Mostly revolving around monsters blowing up entire cities.

Rodan95
Monarch Researcher

Post by Rodan95 »

I think a Political-war genre MECHAGODZILLA solo movie would be dope. Maybe a Terrorist attack on Tokyo where the Terrorists use Mechagodzilla to destroy the world. In the end, Godzilla shows up in the 3rd act, Kills the terrorists cause they attacked Godzilla. Maybe make the story in the future, and make the effects colorful (like Blade runner 2049). Could be dope. Imagine a Godzilla movie in the Bladerunner universe. That would be the tone of it.

Also, maybe a Hard-R rated "Gigan" Origin story that is set in space. We SEE Gigan using is buzzsaw on people and makes it stupidly bloody and terrifying. The score of the movie is similar to heavy metal music and the movie ends with Gigan massacre the characters and heads to earth. IF any kaiju would try the R-rating system, Gigan would work...even tho Japan doesnt give a shit about the American rating system lol

Last, a JET JAGUAR movie with he lives among people and it's more a action-comedy. TOHO monsters do appear.

LSD Jellyfish
Administrator
Administrator

Post by LSD Jellyfish »

Rodan95 wrote:Also, maybe a Hard-R rated "Gigan" Origin story that is set in space. We SEE Gigan using is buzzsaw on people and makes it stupidly bloody and terrifying. The score of the movie is similar to heavy metal music and the movie ends with Gigan massacre the characters and heads to earth. IF any kaiju would try the R-rating system, Gigan would work...
no
Rodan95 wrote:even tho Japan doesnt give a poop about the American rating system lol
yep

All for your Jet Jaguar idea tho.
Last edited by LSD Jellyfish on Mon Aug 26, 2019 9:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Spirit Ghidorah 2010 wrote: Sun Dec 03, 2023 4:54 pm Anno-san pleasures me more than Yamasaki-san.

Ultraman02
GPN Volunteer

Post by Ultraman02 »

Godzilla as an alien would be cool.
I don't really want a sequel to Shin Godzilla.
In a super jet he comes
From a billion miles AWAY!
From a DISTANT PLANET LAND!
COMES OUR HERO,
U L T R A M A N !

" シュワッチ!"

Eel221
GPN Volunteer

Post by Eel221 »

Ultraman02 wrote:Godzilla as an alien would be cool.
Check out "A Space Godzilla"

Ultraman02
GPN Volunteer

Post by Ultraman02 »

Eel221 wrote:
That is probably the weirdest Godzilla story out there.
In a super jet he comes
COMES OUR HERO,
U L T R A M A N !

" シュワッチ!"

LSD Jellyfish
Administrator
Administrator

Post by LSD Jellyfish »

Eel221 wrote:
I think something like that would be the only way I'd like an alien Godzilla to be. When I hear the word alien a lot of bad things come into my mind.

AllosaurHell
Monarch Researcher

Post by AllosaurHell »

A Space Godzilla made me question whether or not I was high on drugs or if someone put drugs in my food prior to reading it, I'm just happy it didn't get made because it probably would have been so bad that we'd consider Godzilla's Revenge a masterpiece in comparison.
A maker of fun cartoons and puppets for everyone's entertainment on my YouTube channel "Allosaur House"
Your local stan of Lone Wolf Baron Corbin, Shin Godzilla and Dinosaur enthusiast and Mexican young adult that lives in Canada.

You can find me elsewhere here: https://linktr.ee/AllosaurHouse

BlankAccount
Sazer

Post by BlankAccount »

AllosaurHell wrote:A Space Godzilla made me question whether or not I was high on drugs or if someone put drugs in my food prior to reading it, I'm just happy it didn't get made because it probably would have been so bad that we'd consider Godzilla's Revenge a masterpiece in comparison.
Bride of Godzilla will make you think you had a stroke while reading it.

AllosaurHell
Monarch Researcher

Post by AllosaurHell »

Living Corpse wrote:
AllosaurHell wrote:A Space Godzilla made me question whether or not I was high on drugs or if someone put drugs in my food prior to reading it, I'm just happy it didn't get made because it probably would have been so bad that we'd consider Godzilla's Revenge a masterpiece in comparison.
Oh I read it, it's up there with A Space Godzilla for worst Godzilla films ever despite thankfully never been made. God's Angry Messenger is honestly not that bad in my opinion, it's super weird but it's the weird I love.
A maker of fun cartoons and puppets for everyone's entertainment on my YouTube channel "Allosaur House"
Your local stan of Lone Wolf Baron Corbin, Shin Godzilla and Dinosaur enthusiast and Mexican young adult that lives in Canada.

You can find me elsewhere here: https://linktr.ee/AllosaurHouse

BlankAccount
Sazer

Post by BlankAccount »

AllosaurHell wrote:
Living Corpse wrote:
Oh I read it, it's up there with A Space Godzilla for worst Godzilla films ever despite thankfully never been made. God's Angry Messenger is honestly not that bad in my opinion, it's super weird but it's the weird I love.
Godzilla vs Varan throw me for a loop, if for no other reason than Varan goes from nobody to being straight on the beast of revelations who will bring the end of the world.

Ultraman02
GPN Volunteer

Post by Ultraman02 »

Living Corpse wrote: Godzilla vs Varan throw me for a loop, if for no other reason than Varan goes from nobody to being straight on the beast of revelations who will bring the end of the world.
They could redesign Varan to make him look more demonic?
In a super jet he comes
COMES OUR HERO,
U L T R A M A N !

" シュワッチ!"