Your Hopes for World of Godzilla

For the discussion of Shin Godzilla, Godzilla -1.0, the anime trilogy, Godzilla Singular Point and Toho produced and distributed films after 2015. Includes US movies financed by Toho like Detective Pikachu.
LSD Jellyfish
Administrator
Administrator

Re: Your Hopes for World of Godzilla

Post by LSD Jellyfish »

Based on the impression I got yesterday, world of Godzilla doesn’t refer to an era, like the heisei era, or a set continuity of films, but rather Toho expanding the brand more and being more inclusive of different aspects of the fanbase.

Yesterday, in one large event, they had:
-Chibi Godzilla Book reading
-Chibi Godzilla dancing
-Shin Godzilla related stuff
-Legendary Godzilla promotion and TJ storm
-A tie in with a Japanese smart phone game
-A luxury watch advertised at older Japanese men
-Trailers for each of the films, not including the American ones.
-A man in a 1954 suit
-A man in a millennium Gojira suit.

In other words, Toho is trying to make Godzilla appeal more to everyone. There was stuff clearly advertised at adults, and more “hardcore” fans, but also fun stuff for the kids. The fact that TJ storm was there was also a big deal.
Spirit Ghidorah 2010 wrote: Sun Dec 03, 2023 4:54 pm Anno-san pleasures me more than Yamasaki-san.

GuardianGhido
JXSDF Technician

Post by GuardianGhido »

LSD Jellyfish wrote:Based on the impression I got yesterday, world of Godzilla doesn’t refer to an era, like the heisei era, or a set continuity of films, but rather Toho expanding the brand more and being more inclusive of different aspects of the fanbase.

Yesterday, in one large event, they had:
-Chibi Godzilla Book reading
-Chibi Godzilla dancing
-Shin Godzilla related stuff
-Legendary Godzilla promotion and TJ storm
-A tie in with a Japanese smart phone game
-A luxury watch advertised at older Japanese men
-Trailers for each of the films, not including the American ones.
-A man in a 1954 suit
-A man in a millennium Gojira suit.

In other words, Toho is trying to make Godzilla appeal more to everyone. There was stuff clearly advertised at adults, and more “hardcore” fans, but also fun stuff for the kids. The fact that TJ storm was there was also a big deal.
Well they're certainly on board for the Monsterverse and Toho uniting together to push the franchise forwards with Toho taking multiple approaches to the character as well. A great strategy in my book as the diversity can let us have all kinds of Godzilla, from deep and meaningful Shin to campy action hero Legendary to the rather boring (in my opinion) Earth.
DirektorSplennic wrote:Mr Goji, eabaker, and LSD are like the (un)Holy Trinity of Kaiju Kino.

kaijuguy19
Monarch Researcher

Post by kaijuguy19 »

Toho's big plans have a lot of promise all right especially if it means we could get Godzilla movies from both sides of the pacific that is if the Monsterverse lives on. That being said do you guys think there's a chance that Toho could get influenced by people/companies that may end up doing more harm then good? I mean sure Toho's very protective over Godzilla but still there's a chance that Toho's plans may be used against them.
Why am I always chasing rainbows?

GuardianGhido
JXSDF Technician

Post by GuardianGhido »

kaijuguy19 wrote:Toho's big plans have a lot of promise all right especially if it means we could get Godzilla movies from both sides of the pacific that is if the Monsterverse lives on. That being said do you guys think there's a chance that Toho could get influenced by people/companies that may end up doing more harm then good? I mean sure Toho's very protective over Godzilla but still there's a chance that Toho's plans may be used against them.
Huh? I don't quite get this, who would use Toho's plan against them? I don't think Toho has any real enemies when it comes to the Godzilla franchise, if anything they have a strong ally in Legendary. And even if Legendary wanted to "betray" Toho or something they can't since the character still belongs to Toho and is only being licensed to them. It's a partnership, not a tug of war.
Last edited by GuardianGhido on Sat Nov 09, 2019 3:30 am, edited 1 time in total.
DirektorSplennic wrote:Mr Goji, eabaker, and LSD are like the (un)Holy Trinity of Kaiju Kino.

Gigantis
Sazer

Post by Gigantis »

GuardianGhido wrote:
kaijuguy19 wrote:Toho's big plans have a lot of promise all right especially if it means we could get Godzilla movies from both sides of the pacific that is if the Monsterverse lives on. That being said do you guys think there's a chance that Toho could get influenced by people/companies that may end up doing more harm then good? I mean sure Toho's very protective over Godzilla but still there's a chance that Toho's plans may be used against them.
Huh? I don't quite get this, who would use Toho's plan against them? I don't think Toho has any real enemies when it comes to the Godzilla franchise, if anything they have a strong ally in Legendary.
Well if Kadokawa ever get's back in shape,Gamera could always come back.

A guy who randomly stumbled upon this place one day, invested much too much time into it, and now appears to be stuck here for all eternity..and strangely enough, i do not regret it!

kaijuguy19
Monarch Researcher

Post by kaijuguy19 »

GuardianGhido wrote:
Huh? I don't quite get this, who would use Toho's plan against them? I don't think Toho has any real enemies when it comes to the Godzilla franchise, if anything they have a strong ally in Legendary. And even if Legendary wanted to "betray" Toho or something they can't since the character still belongs to Toho and is only being licensed to them. It's a partnership, not a tug of war.
What I mean is that some other company may try to get a little greedy and try to screw Toho in some form or another. I'm not saying that's the case with Legendary at all don't misunderstand me since like you've said they have a wonderful thing going. I'm just expressing of some possible trouble Toho may face with their new direction. It may not happen in the end after all.
Why am I always chasing rainbows?

GuardianGhido
JXSDF Technician

Post by GuardianGhido »

kaijuguy19 wrote:
GuardianGhido wrote:
What I mean is that some other company may try to get a little greedy and try to screw Toho in some form or another. I'm not saying that's the case with Legendary at all don't misunderstand me since like you've said they have a wonderful thing going. I'm just expressing of some possible trouble Toho may face with their new direction. It may not happen in the end after all.
No I get what you're saying, but I don't get which company you're talking about since Toho and Legendary are the only ones involved currently. I don't see any third parties causing trouble in that way aside from maybe Disney stealing the spotlight.

Gigantis
Sazer

Post by Gigantis »

I want the stomping grounds to go outside of Japanese soil. I know that the MonsterVerse is the one going outside of that ground,but it's not like Toho's against the idea. (Godzilla vs. Mechani Kong had the final battle be in Las Vegas)

Added in 45 minutes 40 seconds:
Also,i want Kumonga to go back to Arizona,just for that cheeky triple reference :lol:

A guy who randomly stumbled upon this place one day, invested much too much time into it, and now appears to be stuck here for all eternity..and strangely enough, i do not regret it!

ShinGojira14
Xilien Halfling

Post by ShinGojira14 »

I personally hope that this “World of Godzilla” comes off of Shin Godzilla, and that that incarnation of the big guy will be this series’ lead Kaiju. I’m hoping that Rodan, Mothra and Varan will get their own solo films set in the same universe as Shin Godzilla, just to establish this universe and the monsters in it (and maybe each one will make vague references to the events of Shin Godzilla), then we’ll get a Shin Godzilla 2 (just like how we eventually got Iron Man 2 in the MCU), and then we’ll get more monster movies, featuring or not featuring Godzilla. Maybe even some remakes of classic Kaiju movies such as Frankenstein vs Baragon, War of the Gargantuas, or King Kong Escapes.

Furthermore, one other (albeit simple) thing I hope for these movies: they’re GOOD. All of them. Whether they’re satirical or not, whether they’re CGI or Tokusatsu, as long as each one of them has a likable cast of characters and monsters and tells a good story, maybe even pushes some boundaries that have never been pushed before.

Those are my biggest hopes for the Reiwa Era of Godzilla.

(Seriously though, I loved the CGI in Shin, but BRING BACK GUYS IN SUITS PLEASE!!!

Pretty please, Toho...?

Chocolate brownie with fudge and cherry on top?)

Also, I wouldn’t be against seeing one or two movies that are set in different continuities entirely, like a sequel to GMK or the Kiryu saga, or a Godzilla vs Ghost Godzilla story actually coming to fruition.
Last edited by ShinGojira14 on Mon Nov 11, 2019 10:52 am, edited 1 time in total.
"William Knifeman! AH! AH! AH!"

Resized ImageResized Image

Jetty_Jags
G-Grasper

Post by Jetty_Jags »

While what I propose has no chance of happening (although maybe with the recent news of Shin Ultraman there is some hope), is rather than a cinematic universe, but rather have a shin anthology series. Each taking the philosophical creative direction of shin (i.e. reinterpretation of the characters/creatures/films values into a modern day setting). Therefore the movies wouldn't have a continuity, but would rather be a collection of modernizations of old toho films. For example, despite being tired of mothra in godzilla movies, I'd love to see a shin mothra, that takes the themes, messages, and goals, of the original and ties it into modern day problems. And before I get too ahead of myself, I wouldn't want that goofy shin aesthetic on everything. Shin was gross because it was a re-imagining of the original design and focus, other kaiju are not supposed to be gross, and therefore shouldn't be. None-the-less, this wont happen, so the most I can hope for is we get to focus on some lesser screentimey kaiju like King Caesar.
He Jock it Made of Steel

UltimateDitto
EDF Instructor

Post by UltimateDitto »

New, modern suits for older Showa kaiju like King Ghidorah, Gigan, Anguirus, similar to what we got with the Godzilla 1954 short film.

A crossover with Ultraman.
Last edited by UltimateDitto on Fri Nov 29, 2019 5:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"There's no respect for Legendary Godzilla on this site. None. Bemular? Really?" - Juan, 2019

Tournament stats: 2 wins - 3 losses
I ♡ Image

fred25_ca
Monarch Researcher

Post by fred25_ca »

Bring back continuity. That's what I miss the most from the Heisei series. Also, don't have Higuchi direct. Either you bring back Anno or they move on to a different team. Or keep Higuchi as the lead for the FX.
I'd love to see a sequel to Shin Godzilla but not if Anno isn't directing.
My newest monster movie, "Home sweet home":
https://vimeo.com/134487385

LegendZilla
Sazer

Post by LegendZilla »

Here's an idea: What if Toho decides to cut the bullsh*t with the whole quota of making movies literally every year and instead made them let's say every 2-3 years? Quality over quantity.
Last edited by LegendZilla on Sun Dec 01, 2019 6:09 am, edited 1 time in total.

Gigantis
Sazer

Post by Gigantis »

LegendZilla wrote:Here's an idea: What if Toho decides to cut the bullsh*t with the whole quota of making movies literally every year and instead made them let's say every 2-3 years? Quality over quantity.
..Didn't they say that was the plan?

miguelnuva
Justiriser

Post by miguelnuva »

Thu Dec 05, 2019 8:28 pm

If WOG does turn out to be a cinematic verse I would love to see Godzilla, Mothra, Rodan, Varan and Ghidorah get films then lead to a true gtthm remake personally.

A Ghidorah film with 3 or 4 new weaker monsters could really make him feared again.
Last edited by miguelnuva on Thu Dec 05, 2019 10:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Mothra vs Godzilla> Gojira

Shadow Area 1-0
Image Image

UltramanGoji

Post by UltramanGoji »

A Ghidorah that requires more than one monster or more than one monster and a deus ex power-up to beat would be great to see again.

LegendZilla
Sazer

Post by LegendZilla »

Michiru Oshima being brought back would sure be a treat. Also, Kaoru Wada deserves to score a Godzilla film one day seeing as he was a protoge of Ifukube himself.

Gigantis
Sazer

Post by Gigantis »

We need a full fledge ice themed monster this time. Some how Toho has not done this yet..

BlankAccount
Sazer

Post by BlankAccount »

I didn't really know where to place this as it's very miscellaneous but if they continue to use suits and models, I wonder if they can use 3D printing to make better quality suits and models.

GojiDog
G-Grasper

Post by GojiDog »

Honestly, if they can bring Gorosaurus back, I'd be so happy.

No joke, I'm a big fan of that dude.
White Male Genocide is necessary.

Kill all white men.