Your Hopes for World of Godzilla

For the discussion of Shin Godzilla, Godzilla -1.0, the anime trilogy, Godzilla Singular Point and Toho produced and distributed films after 2015. Includes US movies financed by Toho like Detective Pikachu.
imposterzilla
G-Force Personnel

Re: Your Hopes for World of Godzilla

Post by imposterzilla »

A new series following G84 would be cool. The political fallout from that event would have been insane.

eabaker
Administrator
Administrator

Post by eabaker »

At this point, 1984 is farther in the past than 1964 was in 1984, and RoG (good as it is) is not nearly the influential and beloved classic that the original film is. I just can't imagine Toho feeling that a large enough portion of their market is familiar with and attached to that film in a way that would encourage them a movie picking up where it left off.
Tokyo, a smoldering memorial to the unknown, an unknown which at this very moment still prevails and could at any time lash out with its terrible destruction anywhere else in the world.

miguelnuva
Justiriser

Post by miguelnuva »

Terasawa wrote:
miguelnuva wrote:Have the Godzilla reboot be a direct sequel to Godzilla 1984.
Back when G2K was in production, I recall there was a rumor that it would follow RoG. I hoped we’d see Godzilla claw his way out of Mt. Mihara again but nope.

I wouldn’t be against it for a new film but that’s just more exposition the filmmakers have to handle.
They could have another Godzilla appear and just mention one was killed in 54 and the other is trapped in Mt Mihara. I just like how Gojira and ROG were linked and would love to see one more film link to just those two events.
Last edited by miguelnuva on Thu Aug 13, 2020 1:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Mothra vs Godzilla> Gojira

Shadow Area 1-0
Image Image

Gigantis
Sazer

Post by Gigantis »

Why not have a story that's only connected to the original and Raids Again? Have there be a massive time-jump, with humanity already custom to monster attacks after the second Godzilla and Anguirus after the fight in 55, but then the third Godzilla comes in and throws them for a loop. Then maybe the second Godzilla finally breaks out of his iceberg... would a team-up or fight happen after that?

A guy who randomly stumbled upon this place one day, invested much too much time into it, and now appears to be stuck here for all eternity..and strangely enough, i do not regret it!

Voyager
Keizer

Post by Voyager »

Gigantis wrote:Why not have a story that's only connected to the original and Raids Again? Have there be a massive time-jump, with humanity already custom to monster attacks after the second Godzilla and Anguirus after the fight in 55, but then the third Godzilla comes in and throws them for a loop. Then maybe the second Godzilla finally breaks out of his iceberg... would a team-up or fight happen after that?
Interesting concept. AU's could be very cool.
For Emperor and Empire!

miguelnuva
Justiriser

Post by miguelnuva »

Gigantis wrote:Why not have a story that's only connected to the original and Raids Again? Have there be a massive time-jump, with humanity already custom to monster attacks after the second Godzilla and Anguirus after the fight in 55, but then the third Godzilla comes in and throws them for a loop. Then maybe the second Godzilla finally breaks out of his iceberg... would a team-up or fight happen after that?
If it's connected to 54 and 84 then we get a Solo Godzilla trilogy finally.

The only problem with a sequel to 84 is either you free the Heisei Godzilla or you introduce a Rewia Godzilla with the Heisei one will trapped.

You know what if they do this they can end the series with Reiwa Godzilla vs Heisei Godzilla finally.

Shadow Area 1-0
Image Image

Terasawa
Xilien Halfling

Post by Terasawa »

If they continued from RoG I'd hope it was so they could use that Godzilla again and not to introduce another one. Otherwise, IMO, there's no good reason to pick up from a 35+ year old movie.

I think the best thing Toho could do with a new movie and potentially series is to start from scratch again, ala Shin Godzilla. That film, and to a much lesser extent RoG, are probably the only two established Godzilla movies I'd like to see form the basis for a new series.
寺沢. He/him/his, etc.

LegendZilla
Sazer

Post by LegendZilla »

GuardianGhido wrote:Shin wasn't exactly unusual per se, more of a reimagining of the 1954 one. A grotesque mutation caused by the sins of humanity attacks and humans mostly fail to stop it till the very end.
I personally see Shin as more-or-less Hedorah in Godzilla's clothing.

miguelnuva
Justiriser

Post by miguelnuva »

LegendZilla wrote:
GuardianGhido wrote:Shin wasn't exactly unusual per se, more of a reimagining of the 1954 one. A grotesque mutation caused by the sins of humanity attacks and humans mostly fail to stop it till the very end.
Shin is Godzilla pushed to the extreme. Everything he does a previous Godzilla did in a much smaller, simpler scale.

Added in 2 minutes 59 seconds:
Terasawa wrote:If they continued from RoG I'd hope it was so they could use that Godzilla again and not to introduce another one. Otherwise, IMO, there's no good reason to pick up from a 35+ year old movie.

I think the best thing Toho could do with a new movie and potentially series is to start from scratch again, ala Shin Godzilla. That film, and to a much lesser extent RoG, are probably the only two established Godzilla movies I'd like to see form the basis for a new series.

I agree. My main reason for wanting it to connect to RoG is simply because RoG picked up from Gojira and that would give us a Solo trilogy.

I do agree though that it would be a handicap as either they free Heisei Godzilla or they introduced another Godzilla and it gets bloated.

Honestly I think Godzilla 2000 was the last chance to connect to 84 as other than size Godzilla's changes could have been a result of Mt Mihara.

Shadow Area 1-0
Image Image

LegendZilla
Sazer

Post by LegendZilla »

miguelnuva wrote:
LegendZilla wrote:
Everything he does a previous Godzilla did in a much smaller, simpler scale.
I do not recall past versions of Godzilla firing lasers from their backs and tails.

miguelnuva
Justiriser

Post by miguelnuva »

LegendZilla wrote:
miguelnuva wrote:
LegendZilla wrote:
I do not recall past versions of Godzilla firing lasers from their backs and tails.
Godzilla fired his nuclear pluse from his back and atomic breath from his mouth. Gmk fired his breath through his neck do to an open wound. This is pushed up to 11 with Shin firing beams from everywhere.

Shadow Area 1-0
Image Image

LegendZilla
Sazer

Post by LegendZilla »

miguelnuva wrote:
LegendZilla wrote:
miguelnuva wrote:
Godzilla fired his nuclear pulse from his back and atomic breath from his mouth. Gmk fired his breath through his neck do to an open wound. This is pushed up to 11 with Shin firing beams from everywhere.
First of all, his nuclear pulse was not a concentrated beam, it was a shockwave. Secondly, GMK Goji's heat ray firing from somewhere other than his mouth was due to battle damage, which does not count as a new special ability.
Last edited by LegendZilla on Thu Aug 13, 2020 11:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.

miguelnuva
Justiriser

Post by miguelnuva »

LegendZilla wrote:
miguelnuva wrote:
LegendZilla wrote:
Godzilla fired his nuclear pulse from his back and atomic breath from his mouth. Gmk fired his breath through his neck do to an open wound. This is pushed up to 11 with Shin firing beams from everywhere.
First of all, his nuclear pulse was not a concentrated beam, it was a shockwave. Secondly, GMK Goji's heat ray firing from somewhere other than his mouth was due to battle damage, which does not count as a new special ability.
The Nuclear Pluse is the result of his atomic breath coming out his body. Gmk showed Godzilla's breath can come out of any hole in his body.

Those two examples turned up to the extreme means beams can come out anywhere on his body.

As I said you can find simpler origins for Shin's power.

Also Shin isn't damaged in his film with open wounds.

Shadow Area 1-0
Image Image

imposterzilla
G-Force Personnel

Post by imposterzilla »

I think the anti nuclear statements from RoG could be used effectively in a new series. Perhaps Super X was originally an anti-kaiju weapon that Japan claimed was for anti-nuke defense. Perhaps Rodan that attacked a few spots that the general public was not aware of spurred it and the laser weapons. Or perhaps Varan or Baragon? Maybe the US and the Soviets had their own isolated kaiju incidents. Also with the way Japan's government was, there would be political fallout. Now going forward...maybe ecoterrorists set G free or earthquakes or an eruption do. Maybe the mix of the radiation from the ICBM and geothermal made him larger and augmented his powers. Now what of a polluted Tokyo Bay with Oxygen Destroyer residue. Perhaps quasi-Destroyah, but not Destroyah organisms create their own habitat and become a threat to humanity?

KingKong2005
EDF Instructor

Post by KingKong2005 »

imposterzilla wrote:I think the anti nuclear statements from RoG could be used effectively in a new series. Perhaps Super X was originally an anti-kaiju weapon that Japan claimed was for anti-nuke defense. Perhaps Rodan that attacked a few spots that the general public was not aware of spurred it and the laser weapons. Or perhaps Varan or Baragon? Maybe the US and the Soviets had their own isolated kaiju incidents. Also with the way Japan's government was, there would be political fallout. Now going forward...maybe ecoterrorists set G free or earthquakes or an eruption do. Maybe the mix of the radiation from the ICBM and geothermal made him larger and augmented his powers. Now what of a polluted Tokyo Bay with Oxygen Destroyer residue. Perhaps quasi-Destroyah, but not Destroyah organisms create their own habitat and become a threat to humanity?
Can't forget, another hope I have is getting to see your pfp make an on-screen appearance! Absolutely love Bagorah!
Image Image

gottatalktothefake
Futurian

Post by gottatalktothefake »

I hope Toho ditches this trend of having Godzilla be soulless with zero motivation.
GojiSquid wrote: Tue Oct 31, 2023 7:58 am TBF if a movie has a sex scene without a monster mash, then is it really a graveyard smash?

Gigantis
Sazer

Post by Gigantis »

gottatalktothefake wrote:I hope Toho ditches this trend of having Godzilla be soulless with zero motivation.
I mean, Earth did have some motivation... he wanted to wipe out humanity... but he also had like no expressions to show for it.

A guy who randomly stumbled upon this place one day, invested much too much time into it, and now appears to be stuck here for all eternity..and strangely enough, i do not regret it!

KingKong2005
EDF Instructor

Post by KingKong2005 »

gottatalktothefake wrote:I hope Toho ditches this trend of having Godzilla be soulless with zero motivation.
He seriously feels like a plot device in his own movies most the time. He really lacks character in most films, and all I'm saying is; him going from a villain to a good guy back to villain to antihero is a really good sense of growth as a character. Junior could come in and flip Godzilla's world upside down. You make Junior a monster like from Godzilla The Series that is close to humanity and is good, then you can counter balance Godzilla's pain and anger he feels with humans after being close to them and getting hurt/betrayed. I can't believe Toho hasn't really seized this opportunity for building Godzilla as a character.
Image Image

Voyager
Keizer

Post by Voyager »

I kind of want the new series to not be set in the present.
For Emperor and Empire!

miguelnuva
Justiriser

Post by miguelnuva »

KingKong2005 wrote:
He seriously feels like a plot device in his own movies most the time. He really lacks character in most films, and all I'm saying is; him going from a villain to a good guy back to villain to antihero is a really good sense of growth as a character. Junior could come in and flip Godzilla's world upside down. You make Junior a monster like from Godzilla The Series that is close to humanity and is good, then you can counter balance Godzilla's pain and anger he feels with humans after being close to them and getting hurt/betrayed. I can't believe Toho hasn't really seized this opportunity for building Godzilla as a character.
Godzilla has only not been a character in Shin and maybe the anime trilogy.

Even Kiryu saga Goji had a plot.

Shadow Area 1-0
Image Image