Poll: World of Godzilla Kaiju Size(s)

For the discussion of Shin Godzilla, Godzilla -1.0, the anime trilogy, Godzilla Singular Point and Toho produced and distributed films after 2015. Includes US movies financed by Toho like Detective Pikachu.

What size should Godzilla have in TOHOs upcoming World of Godzilla Universe?

1. Back to the roots of 1954 meaning 50 meters / 164 feet
23%
2. Heisei series size meaning 80 meters / 262 feet
19%
3. Heisei series 90s meaning 100 meters to 120 meters / 328 feet to 393 feet
51%
4. even taller than Shin Godzilla meaning over 140 meters / 459 feet
6%

Total votes: 78

Gailah 1966
Monarch Researcher

Poll: World of Godzilla Kaiju Size(s)

Post by Gailah 1966 »

This is a fan poll for the upcoming "World of Godzilla"
What size should Godzilla have? What do the fans want?
Please vote and discuss. Thank you.

Added in 6 minutes :
I think it would be very interessting seeing Godzilla and other kaiju in "showa size" battle between the skyscapers of Tokyo (and maybe other mega cities)
So I voted for 50 meters / 164 feet. Also the interaction between monsters and humans could be more intense as a human is more recognizeable to a 164 feet kaiju than to a 459 feet kaiju.
And last but not least you never may know if the dream battle happens someday meaning the apperance of the 60 meters / 197 feet rocket turtle Gamera ;)
Last edited by Gailah 1966 on Mon Aug 27, 2018 11:55 am, edited 1 time in total.
BIG FAN SURVEY 2023 --> viewtopic.php?t=34920
BIG FAN SURVEY 2020 --> viewtopic.php?t=30470
Video of 2020´s results --> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JUxyzsQxwa4

LegendZilla
Sazer

Re: Poll: World of Godzilla Kaiju Size(s)

Post by LegendZilla »

I am getting tired of everyone trying to make their Godzilla bigger and bigger than the last.
Last edited by LegendZilla on Tue Aug 28, 2018 2:37 am, edited 1 time in total.

KillCrites
Interpol Agent

Post by KillCrites »

Can we even go back to 50m after having massive kaiju for so long
why did i have to be the chosen one?

Gailah 1966
Monarch Researcher

Post by Gailah 1966 »

LegendZilla wrote:I am getting tired of everyone trying to make their Godzilla bigger and bigger than the last.
That`s why I didn`t count the anime Godzilla into this poll.

szmigiel
G-Force Personnel

Post by szmigiel »

I actually hope that there are a variety of sizes for the Kaiju. If they are going with motion capture CGI the Kaiju don't all need to relatively the same size anymore.

Maritonic
Admin | Forum Manager
Admin | Forum Manager

Post by Maritonic »

Well, scale is a thing. The 50 meters worked at the time because of the size of the cityscapes. For the 80's/90's, increasing it made sense because the buildings had gotten a lot larger. Shin never felt too large to me. Maybe in one or two shots, I would be shocked by his size, but for the most part the execution on his size was fine.

Size of these kaijus has never bothered me except when they're too small, because then the threat isn't present for me personally. But, I'd say it all really lies in execution, since some of the Millennium incarnations were in the 50 meter range (weren't they?) so -shrug-.

Although, yeah no, Anime Godzilla is ridiculous so no thanks. But I don't think we have to worry about that.
Any issues, please feel free to private message me or e-mail me at MaritonicTK@gmail.com.
Bruno says we're not supposed to hate.
MechaGoji Bro7503 wrote: Tue Jan 31, 2023 3:24 pm Don't go to a friend's wedding, send him 100 copies of Gamera vs Zigra instead. Be a man.

Sir-Mechagodzilla
Ronin

Post by Sir-Mechagodzilla »

Anything but 50m.

It's too small for today's world and less threatening. I hope they never go back to that size, I want Kaiju and not dwarfs. It's simply not imposing anymore.
I'd say Godzilla should be around 100-120, maybe 150m big. Anything over that might be a bit too much.

Gawdziller1954
JXSDF Technician

Post by Gawdziller1954 »

800 meters.
OH NO, IT'S GAWDZILLER!! :D

eabaker
Administrator
Administrator

Post by eabaker »

Sir-Mechagodzilla wrote:Anything but 50m.

It's too small for today's world and less threatening. I hope they never go back to that size, I want Kaiju and not dwarfs. It's simply not imposing anymore.
I'd say Godzilla should be around 100-120, maybe 150m big. Anything over that might be a bit too much.
To me, the problem with the larger sizes is that they feel too abstract. I can manage a sense of what it would be like to physically stand in the presence of something 50 or 60 meters tall, but much beyond that I lose that clear sense of scale and perspective.
Tokyo, a smoldering memorial to the unknown, an unknown which at this very moment still prevails and could at any time lash out with its terrible destruction anywhere else in the world.

Manuelito Canelito
G-Grasper

Post by Manuelito Canelito »

100-120 m, maybe a maximum of 200
A 50 m kaiju in a modern metropolis feels too small.
All houses have the same. Roof. Floor. Walls. People yelling at you that they're calling the police because you broke into their house. It's only when you give them love that they truly become Home

G2000
Xilien Halfling

Post by G2000 »

I would like somewhere between 80 and 120 meters. 80-100 should be about right. Any bigger and things start getting silly.

I wouldn't be against it if they made him 50-60 meters, though. After the three largest Godzillas in quick succession, it might even be a welcome change of pace. People who fret about how he'd be "too small" in a modern city seem to forget that he was that height for most of the Millennium series, and as the OP said, it could make for interesting battle scenes and allow for greater human-monster interaction.
gerdzerl wrote:DONT STOP G2000 YOU SEXY BEAST

GigaBowserG
Vice President
Vice President

Post by GigaBowserG »

Went for the 100-120 meter option, 100 meters moreso. What Shin managed to pull off is pretty much exactly what I'd want to see more of, towering behemoths that can waltz through smaller cities while still looking imposing next to larger buildings. While I'm not against 50, my only worry is how monsters may look too small in comparison to modern cities. I guess I'm fine sacrificing human interaction if it means we get more of a city-destroying spectacle out of taller monsters. 80 would make for a fun compromise. Not really interested in anything scaling above those.
Mecha M wrote:[after seeing Shin Godzilla's design] Looks like partially cooked carne asada
/crawls back under rock

Gerdzerl

Post by Gerdzerl »

121.92 meters (400 feet) would be cool.

BlacktimusPrime
Monarch Researcher

Post by BlacktimusPrime »

80 meters. If memory serves, g2000 went back to 50m and I thought it worked really well, but 80 would work better for this one I feel - a nice balance between a less overkill scale and still imposing.
Coobzilla03 wrote:
goji89 wrote:Godzilla in general sucks. Just awful. I mean a man in a suit knocking down papercraft buildings?

Turn me into a twix and give me a break.

Mutated animals that are huge that fight each other.
Here goji, have a Snickers. You're not you when you're hungry.

Gailah 1966
Monarch Researcher

Post by Gailah 1966 »

80 meters would still allow a better interaction with humans. Imagine a Kong-like kaiju holding a woman in his hand or a hunting scene where humans get hunted by a Kamcuras. I think things like that work better with "smaller" monsters.
Just my opinion. We will see what Toho comes up with... :mrgreen:

miguelnuva
Justiriser

Post by miguelnuva »

Return to 80 meters.
Mothra vs Godzilla> Gojira

Shadow Area 1-0
Image Image

Maritonic
Admin | Forum Manager
Admin | Forum Manager

Post by Maritonic »

One thing I personally want is difference in size between kaiju. Have Godzilla remain his size throughout the series, but kaiju like Kamacuras may be smaller, while maybe a behemoth like Biollante would be significantly larger. That's something I definitely want to see continued, maybe even utilized more.
Any issues, please feel free to private message me or e-mail me at MaritonicTK@gmail.com.
Bruno says we're not supposed to hate.
MechaGoji Bro7503 wrote: Tue Jan 31, 2023 3:24 pm Don't go to a friend's wedding, send him 100 copies of Gamera vs Zigra instead. Be a man.

eabaker
Administrator
Administrator

Post by eabaker »

Honestly, even if the movies are in continuity with each other, I don't think the makers of each entry should be expected to keep the monsters at the same scale. In every case, that kind of choice should be made based on the needs of the specific story that team is trying to tell.
Tokyo, a smoldering memorial to the unknown, an unknown which at this very moment still prevails and could at any time lash out with its terrible destruction anywhere else in the world.

kingkevzilla88
Gotengo Officer

Post by kingkevzilla88 »

80 to 100 meters sounds about right to me, I'm getting tired of every Godzilla having to be bigger than the last one.

Manuelito Canelito
G-Grasper

Post by Manuelito Canelito »

eabaker wrote:Honestly, even if the movies are in continuity with each other, I don't think the makers of each entry should be expected to keep the monsters at the same scale. In every case, that kind of choice should be made based on the needs of the specific story that team is trying to tell.
^So much this

Even tho the 300 meters of Godzilla Earth may seem a lil' bit ridiculous, they have both a reason (20,000 years of growing) and a motive (this is Godzilla fighting against not only technologically advanced humans, but also 2 space-faring alien civilizations)

Althoug I honestly prefer the 100-120 m size, I can accept any size (even a 1 km or something) as long as it has a motive for the creators to make it that size (a motive beyond the "I wanna make the biggest Godzilla!) thing)
All houses have the same. Roof. Floor. Walls. People yelling at you that they're calling the police because you broke into their house. It's only when you give them love that they truly become Home