Poll: World of Godzilla Kaiju Size(s)

For the discussion of Godzilla Resurgence and Toho films after 2015.
Forum rules
Please be sure to read the subforum sticky "Regarding - Shin Godzilla Spoilers, Leaked Content and Cam. Rip Content", linked below. Thank you!

http://www.tohokingdom.com/forum/viewto ... 40&t=25380

What size should Godzilla have in TOHOs upcoming World of Godzilla Universe?

1. Back to the roots of 1954 meaning 50 meters / 164 feet
21%
2. Heisei series size meaning 80 meters / 262 feet
19%
3. Heisei series 90s meaning 100 meters to 120 meters / 328 feet to 393 feet
52%
4. even taller than Shin Godzilla meaning over 140 meters / 459 feet
7%

Total votes: 42

Gerdzerl
EDF Soldier

Re: Poll: World of Godzilla Kaiju Size(s)

Postby Gerdzerl » Thu Aug 30, 2018 12:08 pm

eabaker wrote:Honestly, even if the movies are in continuity with each other, I don't think the makers of each entry should be expected to keep the monsters at the same scale. In every case, that kind of choice should be made based on the needs of the specific story that team is trying to tell.

For the most part, I agree, but, on the other hand, I honestly don't see the point of having films with different scales be in the same continuity unless there's an in-universe explanation for the size changes. It might be better to just start a whole new continuity entirely if they're not really interested in being consistent with what's previously established. A new continuity would probably give the filmmakers more creative freedom in general, now that I think about it.

Artistic freedom and telling the needs of the story should absolutely be the main priority, by all means, but I just don't understand why someone would make a sequel to something if they're not paying attention to what happened before. It just feels... cheap and/or disingenuous to me, like, they're only making it a sequel for marquee value instead of out of a genuine desire to continue an existing story, I guess? I don't know how else to put it, really. Yeah, I know most folks aren't going to care and/or remember previously established "rules", but, since they probably won't, why make the new thing a sequel to begin with?

Gailah 1966
Yojimbo

Postby Gailah 1966 » Sun Sep 09, 2018 12:13 pm

eabaker wrote:Honestly, even if the movies are in continuity with each other, I don't think the makers of each entry should be expected to keep the monsters at the same scale. In every case, that kind of choice should be made based on the needs of the specific story that team is trying to tell.

If the monsters share a universe together they should stay in size. You can`t Godzllla rise and shrink in every movie. I mean the sense of a shared universe is the continuity. I hope they try something new and let the monsters stay at about 50 m. Therefore they should get superpowers, like more strength, higher invulnerability and more powerful heatrays.
Emiko broke her promise... and therefore saved the world!

Grimlock#1
Samurai

Postby Grimlock#1 » Sun Sep 09, 2018 4:34 pm

80 to 100 meters would be fine with me, but tbh it would have to depend on the kaiju. For Godzilla I'd like him to be around 100 meters but for a kaiju like Kamacuras or Kumonga I think 60 meters would be alright. Anything around Anime-zilla's height is too ridiculous. It sounds like a neat idea on paper, but when you actually execute it... :? Kinda why I didn't care for City on the Edge of Battle and why I'm not too eager for Planet Eater.
"Operator, give me the number for 911!"

Space Hunter M wrote:Ah, you and your corns. Great. When you and the MUTO meet, be sure you tell him all about your corn problems.

"MECHAGGGGGGGGGGGGG!"

miguelnuva
Seatopian Daikaiju

Postby miguelnuva » Sun Sep 09, 2018 5:47 pm

I personally would like to see 80 meters come back as I feel that scale didn't really get a fare run but I also wont rule out 400 feet. That's still my dream height and Legendary should go up to it.
Last edited by miguelnuva on Sun Sep 09, 2018 5:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
The one thing I want to see in life,TOHO buy Gamera.

Shadow Area 1-0

eabaker
Keizer

Postby eabaker » Mon Sep 10, 2018 7:52 am

Gailah 1966 wrote:

If the monsters share a universe together they should stay in size. You can`t Godzllla rise and shrink in every movie. I mean the sense of a shared universe is the continuity. I hope they try something new and let the monsters stay at about 50 m. Therefore they should get superpowers, like more strength, higher invulnerability and more powerful heatrays.

The point of a shared universe is the ability to develop themes, storylines and characterization across multiple entries, and to view all of those through different lenses. None of those things will be negatively impacted by changes in secondary details like the height of a monster.
Last edited by eabaker on Mon Sep 10, 2018 7:52 am, edited 1 time in total.
Tokyo, a smoldering memorial to the unknown, an unknown which at this very moment still prevails and could at any time lash out with its terrible destruction anywhere else in the world.

Kaeyas
Samurai

Postby Kaeyas » Fri Sep 28, 2018 5:57 pm

Maritonic wrote:One thing I personally want is difference in size between kaiju. Have Godzilla remain his size throughout the series, but kaiju like Kamacuras may be smaller, while maybe a behemoth like Biollante would be significantly larger. That's something I definitely want to see continued, maybe even utilized more.

What he said. You could also have Godzilla start out at his original 50 meter size and grow from interactions with the JSDF (nuking him, getting into reactors, etc) or other circumstances. I'd want him to max out at about 120 meters. Anything much more is overkill IMHO. But I don't think keeping him small the entire series would work good for reasons stated previously in this post. However, It wouldn't be a deal breaker. Hell I'm such a huge G-Fan, they could make Godzilla orange or hot pink and I'd still give it a chance! Or even if they did something REALLY crazy like making Ghidorah a phantom like being with each of his heads sticking out of a black hole....oh wait :eh:
Dedicated To Darkness..

Return to “"Shin" and Beyond (2016-Current)”