Could Kong show up in the world of Godzilla?

For the discussion of Shin Godzilla, Godzilla -1.0, the anime trilogy, Godzilla Singular Point and Toho produced and distributed films after 2015. Includes US movies financed by Toho like Detective Pikachu.
Moth
G-Grasper

Re: Could Kong show up in the world of Godzilla?

Post by Moth »

The only time Gamera was viable for a crossover was between 1995-2004, after that, the train sailed and Gamera's chances of fighting Godzilla died forever.
Chris55 wrote: Godzilla: Green bikini edition
Major sssspielberg! wrote: Mon Feb 27, 2023 11:24 am Yeah, I saw The Room thinking it would be fun and got stuck behind a guy yelling "EAT HIS ASS" the entire movie. It was awful.
Jomei wrote: Wed Nov 29, 2023 6:13 pm It sounds like Yamazaki has delivered the Extra Large KINO Pie with extra Gojironi.

:Mothra61: sticking out your gyatt for the rizzler :Mothra61:

miguelnuva
Justiriser

Post by miguelnuva »

Nathus214 wrote:The only time Gamera was viable for a crossover was between 1995-2004, after that, the train sailed and Gamera's chances of fighting Godzilla died forever.
Forever is a big word.
Mothra vs Godzilla> Gojira

Shadow Area 1-0
Image Image

Destoroyah of Worlds
Gotengo Officer

Post by Destoroyah of Worlds »

LSD Jellyfish wrote:
Cookson wrote:Gamera might not be a viable Kaiju globally, but it could be a big event in Japan. Honestly, I think Kadakowa would sell Gamera for 10 million. They just aren’t doing anything so to them 10 million would be a lot. That’s ONE film Toho would lose(movies cost roughly that but can gain double easily). It would be an investment for Toho and the Japanese box office. Now admittedly it wouldn’t be anything special if/when released theatrically in global markets except for die hard fans.

The only reason I bring this up is I feel Toho is a much different company now. The way they speak about Godzilla now is pretty awesome. They recognize there’s opportunities. Why not go for it and turn Gamera into a full blown Toho Kaiju?

** I could be totally wrong about Kadakowa selling Gamera for 10 million.
Nah, Gamera by my estimates is pretty irrelevant in Japan. I haven’t met a single person who is interested in Gamera since I got here, most vintage toy stores lack a lot of Gamera stuff or any sort of cross promotional IP tie ins or anything. I’m sure you could reboot Gamera, don’t get me wrong, but I just don’t think there’s any big desire to.

Because Gamera is a Godzilla clone, I also doubt Toho would want to touch Gamera or have it associated with their IP.
I'm not sure why this thread turned into a Gamera thread all of a sudden?

But Toho has nothing to gain from adding Gamera. They legitimize him. They build up brand recognition for a competitor which could potentially over-saturate the market with Gamera movies while Toho is trying to put together a new Godzilla universe.

Never say never. But a crossover like that is very unlikely unless the company that owns Gamera becomes a subsidiary of Toho or sells the rights to Gamera outright.

It makes more sense for Toho to create a new version of King Kong once that monster goes public domain. They can naturally build off the momentum of Godzilla vs. Kong. Rodan, Mothra, Ghidorah are way recognizable than Gamera at this point too.
Last edited by Destoroyah of Worlds on Fri Nov 01, 2019 11:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Come fourth, Ghidorah! Great Golden Winged Destroyer; deliver onto us a beautiful demise!

LSD Jellyfish
Administrator
Administrator

Post by LSD Jellyfish »

Nathus214 wrote:The only time Gamera was viable for a crossover was between 1995-2004, after that, the train sailed and Gamera's chances of fighting Godzilla died forever.
In a very ironic twist of fate, Kaneko just joked about Godzilla vs Gamera, and the two suit actors, the guy who played Godzilla in GMK, and the guy who played Gamera in the heisei films, got on stage and started pretending to fight. I have footage of all this. Assuming I can get In contact with the main site, I intend to post everything.

Also:

Spirit Ghidorah 2010 wrote: Sun Dec 03, 2023 4:54 pm Anno-san pleasures me more than Yamasaki-san.

Gigantis
Sazer

Post by Gigantis »

If Toho gets Kong in the World of Godzilla,i'm 99% sure his lighting powers are coming back,heck i wouldn't be suprised if he shot lighting out of his eyes. :lol:

A guy who randomly stumbled upon this place one day, invested much too much time into it, and now appears to be stuck here for all eternity..and strangely enough, i do not regret it!

Destoroyah of Worlds
Gotengo Officer

tyrantgoji wrote:If Toho gets Kong in the World of Godzilla,i'm 99% sure his lighting powers are coming back,heck i wouldn't be suprised if he shot lighting out of his eyes. :lol:
That would be awesome to see.

I'm 99% sure he's coming back. He has such a rich history with Toho and is one of the most recognizable movie monsters of all time. There will be momentum to cash in on with Godzilla vs. Kong. Isn't it common sense to incorporate him into the new universe as he's going public domain?
Last edited by Destoroyah of Worlds on Sat Nov 02, 2019 5:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Come fourth, Ghidorah! Great Golden Winged Destroyer; deliver onto us a beautiful demise!

Jetty_Jags
G-Grasper

Post by Jetty_Jags »

I think I agree with the idea of replace Kong with the Gargantuans. It would separate the monster verse from world of godzilla, and I think the Gargantuans work better at Godzilla's scale anyways.
He Jock it Made of Steel

Gigantis
Sazer

Post by Gigantis »

I like the idea of all three of them. It's not hard to make a new origin story for the Gargantuas by saying they were made from Kong's DNA. Then Kong has to team up with Sanda to stop the far eviler Gaira or a similar plot like that.

A guy who randomly stumbled upon this place one day, invested much too much time into it, and now appears to be stuck here for all eternity..and strangely enough, i do not regret it!

Destoroyah of Worlds
Gotengo Officer

tyrantgoji wrote:I like the idea of all three of them. It's not hard to make a new origin story for the Gargantuas by saying they were made from Kong's DNA. Then Kong has to team up with Sanda to stop the far eviler Gaira or a similar plot like that.
That would be pretty cool, NGL.

I need to watch War of the Gargantuas again. Barely remember any of it.

Omegazilla
Interpol Agent

Post by Omegazilla »

Vakanai wrote:
Omegazilla wrote:
Vakanai wrote: Well, Toho "roided" up Kong before, and as you pointed out Legendary is doing the same thing and crossover with him now, so what's the problem? He shouldn't be any harder to do than last time. And as has been pointed out, King Kong is soon to be in public domain, and versions of him already are.
The problem is going to be another silly out of character Kong. Regardless it might happen in the future as throwing him in with Godzilla is almost as second nature as Aliens and Predators now. Sticking with a KKE type movie in the same universe would be a lot better and without making something silly like Kong and his electric fetish. Notice how the KKE version of Kong didn't have any silly out of character buffs to make him equal to his opponent yet it still worked and felt like Kong. The same could certainly be done again against Mechani-Kong or whatever the antagonist might be.
Out of character? He had one real film, and his character was pretty much "perverted monkey like pretty blonde woman". He doesn't have to repeat the original movie every incarnation. And honestly, I don't know why the electric thing keeps getting brought up, it was just a weird thing Toho decided to do and you don't need it to make him a threat to Godzilla.
I am on-board with every incarnation not being the same thing. For example, I think Shin Godzilla, GMK Godzilla, and Godzilla Earth are all interesting and different incarnations that I like a lot. However there is also a limit. At what point does it just become completely out of character for Godzilla to be Godzilla? GINO is a good real life example, but what if a future Godzilla got a really out of character power such as ice breath or something? What about something really silly like atomic farts? Electrical dandruff perhaps? See, different isn't always good either. While I don't mind different things every now and then when you change things too much where it becomes way out of character then it is just a cringefest. All that said I warmed up to unorthodox monsters appearing in the future. Like I said a KKE style movie could be pretty entertaining in it's own right. Since we haven't seen a Toho Kong in a while it would be interesting to see how that'd be in a modern day setting. That'd be my personal favorite route to take for something like this.

Destoroyah of Worlds
Gotengo Officer

Omegazilla wrote:
Vakanai wrote:
Omegazilla wrote: The problem is going to be another silly out of character Kong. Regardless it might happen in the future as throwing him in with Godzilla is almost as second nature as Aliens and Predators now. Sticking with a KKE type movie in the same universe would be a lot better and without making something silly like Kong and his electric fetish. Notice how the KKE version of Kong didn't have any silly out of character buffs to make him equal to his opponent yet it still worked and felt like Kong. The same could certainly be done again against Mechani-Kong or whatever the antagonist might be.
Out of character? He had one real film, and his character was pretty much "perverted monkey like pretty blonde woman". He doesn't have to repeat the original movie every incarnation. And honestly, I don't know why the electric thing keeps getting brought up, it was just a weird thing Toho decided to do and you don't need it to make him a threat to Godzilla.
I am on-board with every incarnation not being the same thing. For example, I think Shin Godzilla, GMK Godzilla, and Godzilla Earth are all interesting and different incarnations that I like a lot. However there is also a limit. At what point does it just become completely out of character for Godzilla to be Godzilla? GINO is a good real life example, but what if a future Godzilla got a really out of character power such as ice breath or something? What about something really silly like atomic farts? Electrical dandruff perhaps? See, different isn't always good either. While I don't mind different things every now and then when you change things too much where it becomes way out of character then it is just a cringefest. All that said I warmed up to unorthodox monsters appearing in the future. Like I said a KKE style movie could be pretty entertaining in it's own right. Since we haven't seen a Toho Kong in a while it would be interesting to see how that'd be in a modern day setting. That'd be my personal favorite route to take for something like this.
Ice breath actually sounds pretty cool. I could see Shin evolving to have an immunity to the freezing he underwent and ice breath being one of his powers. Although, i'd prefer an all new ice monster.

Vakanai
EDF Instructor

Post by Vakanai »

Omegazilla wrote:
Vakanai wrote:
Omegazilla wrote: The problem is going to be another silly out of character Kong. Regardless it might happen in the future as throwing him in with Godzilla is almost as second nature as Aliens and Predators now. Sticking with a KKE type movie in the same universe would be a lot better and without making something silly like Kong and his electric fetish. Notice how the KKE version of Kong didn't have any silly out of character buffs to make him equal to his opponent yet it still worked and felt like Kong. The same could certainly be done again against Mechani-Kong or whatever the antagonist might be.
I don't think there's much of a worry there for either Godzilla or Kong at this point. Outside of the inane idea to give him electric shock powers Toho has treated Kong right before (you know, considering budget restraints on the suit), and America has finally gotten Godzilla himself right (if still incapable of making a really good movie with him). I don't think hitting the limit is something to worry to much about right now, thankfully.
I unapologetically, wholeheartedly, and without a doubt hate Godzilla vs Kong.

Jetty_Jags
G-Grasper

Post by Jetty_Jags »

Wasn’t the lightning from earlier drafts of Godzilla vs Frankenstein?
He Jock it Made of Steel

Vakanai
EDF Instructor

Post by Vakanai »

Jetty_Jags wrote:Wasn’t the lightning from earlier drafts of Godzilla vs Frankenstein?
Allegedly that's just a debunked myth. Although it makes more sense than "Hey, for no reason, let's give Kong lightning powers!"

Ironcarnage101
GPN Volunteer

Post by Ironcarnage101 »

ngl, it doesn't have to be just Kong, they can use every Kaiju/Kaijin they own and hell maybe even Gamera and Kadokawa's kaiju for the series. But going back on topic, He'd have to be done right. And his design as well.
Last edited by Ironcarnage101 on Wed Dec 18, 2019 10:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.

kaijuguy19
Monarch Researcher

Post by kaijuguy19 »

Vakanai wrote:
Jetty_Jags wrote:Wasn’t the lightning from earlier drafts of Godzilla vs Frankenstein?
Allegedly that's just a debunked myth. Although it makes more sense than "Hey, for no reason, let's give Kong lightning powers!"
I thought the reason Toho gave Kong lightning powers was that to make him more level to fight against Godzilla and his atomic breath to go along with increasing his height to match Godzilla's at the time to be honest.
Why am I always chasing rainbows?

The Octopus
G-Grasper

Post by The Octopus »

The inspiration for the lightning came from this publicity still from the 1933 film.

Just like the inspiration for Kong shoving the tree down Godzilla's throat came from this publicity still

^That scene even appeared on the Japanese poster.
Last edited by The Octopus on Thu Dec 19, 2019 10:39 am, edited 1 time in total.

Terasawa
Xilien Halfling

Post by Terasawa »

King Kong vs. Godzilla predates “Godzilla vs. Frankenstein.” Jerry Sohl’s outline of the latter was probably written in 1964: needless to say, neither monster has electrical powers. Also, a report in Variety showed that AIP had tentatively scheduled the film for (American) release in 1965. It was never in production or development prior to KKvG.
寺沢. He/him/his, etc.

Vakanai
EDF Instructor

Post by Vakanai »

kaijuguy19 wrote:
Vakanai wrote:
I thought the reason Toho gave Kong lightning powers was that to make him more level to fight against Godzilla and his atomic breath to go along with increasing his height to match Godzilla's at the time to be honest.
I've never heard any real reason why they did it, but assuming if that was there reasoning then by watching the movie they did a poor ass job of conveying it - all it did was give Kong a second wind, and some poor lightning effect around his hands which Godzilla never seemed to react to. No seriously, Godzilla never acted like there was any electric shock or anything from that. If you took out the lightning effect and just had Kong get a second wind just because, it'd play out the same exact way. So yeah, feels a lot like they did something screwy and unnecessary for no reason, and I hope the lightning "powers" never come back on Kong just relies on his strength against Godzilla.

miguelnuva
Justiriser

Post by miguelnuva »

Vakanai wrote:
kaijuguy19 wrote:
Vakanai wrote: Allegedly that's just a debunked myth. Although it makes more sense than "Hey, for no reason, let's give Kong lightning powers!"
I've never heard any real reason why they did it, but assuming if that was there reasoning then by watching the movie they did a poor ass job of conveying it - all it did was give Kong a second wind, and some poor lightning effect around his hands which Godzilla never seemed to react to. No seriously, Godzilla never acted like there was any electric shock or anything from that. If you took out the lightning effect and just had Kong get a second wind just because, it'd play out the same exact way. So yeah, feels a lot like they did something screwy and unnecessary for no reason, and I hope the lightning "powers" never come back on Kong just relies on his strength against Godzilla.
Godzilla does react, he starts losing the fight and yelling more.
Mothra vs Godzilla> Gojira

Shadow Area 1-0
Image Image