Could Kong show up in the world of Godzilla?

For the discussion of Shin Godzilla, Godzilla -1.0, the anime trilogy, Godzilla Singular Point and Toho produced and distributed films after 2015. Includes US movies financed by Toho like Detective Pikachu.
Cryptid_Liker
Xilien Halfling

Re: Could Kong show up in the world of Godzilla?

Post by Cryptid_Liker »

Vakanai wrote:
Cryptid_Liker wrote:
Vakanai wrote: Who or what is Bulgario?
A primate-like robot from The Justirisers that was inspired by Mechani-Kong. It was not the only expy of a Toho monster, as Riseross is based on Mechagodzilla and Megarion is based on Moguera.
...who or what are the Justirisers?
It's a series made by Toho in the early 2000s.

Gigantis
Sazer

Post by Gigantis »

So, if Kong does show up in a future Toho Godzilla film, what should he look like?

I like the idea of finally having a "done right" version of the 62 design. Basing him off Japanese Monkey's but not making him look like a squashed grape head glued onto the body of a Halloween ape suit.

A guy who randomly stumbled upon this place one day, invested much too much time into it, and now appears to be stuck here for all eternity..and strangely enough, i do not regret it!

Major sssspielberg!
EDF Instructor

Post by Major sssspielberg! »

Gigantis wrote:So, if Kong does show up in a future Toho Godzilla film, what should he look like?

I like the idea of finally having a "done right" version of the 62 design. Basing him off Japanese Monkey's but not making him look like a squashed grape head glued onto the body of a Halloween ape suit.
Hell yeah, I love what 62 Kong was going for. Even if he looks goofy as hell.
Kaltes-Herzeleid wrote: Thu Jan 06, 2022 9:44 am I love Final Wars. I praise Final Wars. Simple as.

Gigantis
Sazer

Post by Gigantis »

For anyone wondering what the skreoonk we're talking about, the Kong suit for KKVG was based off the Japanese Macaque.

Personally i think a Kong design like that has some potential to work with!
Last edited by Gigantis on Mon Jul 06, 2020 9:08 am, edited 1 time in total.

A guy who randomly stumbled upon this place one day, invested much too much time into it, and now appears to be stuck here for all eternity..and strangely enough, i do not regret it!

Cryptid_Liker
Xilien Halfling

Post by Cryptid_Liker »

Gigantis wrote:For anyone wondering what the skreoonk we're talking about, the Kong suit for KKVG was based off the Japanese Macaque.

That could look really cool. Mixing that with other non-gorilla primates (like mandrills, bonobos, etc) could work in their favor, too.

KingKong2005
EDF Instructor

Post by KingKong2005 »

Gigantis wrote:For anyone wondering what the skreoonk we're talking about, the Kong suit for KKVG was based off the Japanese Macaque.

I would love it to be a mix of the 62 Kong design and the 76 Kong design. 76 Kong iwth his eyes constantly shrouded in shadow was scary as fuck!

I was reading the earlier posts back in 2017 of Kong's rights, and I'm wondering; would Toho be able to use Kong? We know Legendary is getting away with calling him just Kong and that they are avoiding it being like the classic story, and that Neca is coming out with their Kong figure which is avoided to look like a specific version of King Kong for legal reasons. So this leads to my question, with everything we know now, would Toho be able to use Kong as a recurring character in their World of Godzilla? And by 2028, would they finally be able to call him King Kong?
Image Image

Gigantis
Sazer

Post by Gigantis »

KingKong2005 wrote:would Toho be able to use Kong as a recurring character in their World of Godzilla? And by 2028, would they finally be able to call him King Kong?
If they just use the name "Kong", yes! If they wait till he becomes public domain in 2028, yes still, and they can still call him king!

LegendZilla
Sazer

Post by LegendZilla »

Toho will probably bring along in once the character goes full-public domain.

Added in 5 days 23 hours 40 minutes 54 seconds:
All works published in 1933 will enter the public domain in 2029. That includes the original King film, but do any of you think the character will as well?

Desghidorah
G-Grasper

Post by Desghidorah »

I do also gotta wonder about the rights for Mechani-Kong given Ranken/Bass went defunct in 1999 and I believe them also having some claim to the character is another reason why Toho couldn't use the robotic ape in the heisei saga.

Gigantis
Sazer

Post by Gigantis »

Desghidorah wrote:I do also gotta wonder about the rights for Mechani-Kong given Ranken/Bass went defunct in 1999 and I believe them also having some claim to the character is another reason why Toho couldn't use the robotic ape in the heisei saga.
Late reply but i'm pretty sure Toho owns the full rights to him now. Just can't use him because he's still looks too much like Kong.

miguelnuva
Justiriser

Post by miguelnuva »

Gigantis wrote:
Desghidorah wrote:I do also gotta wonder about the rights for Mechani-Kong given Ranken/Bass went defunct in 1999 and I believe them also having some claim to the character is another reason why Toho couldn't use the robotic ape in the heisei saga.
Late reply but i'm pretty sure Toho owns the full rights to him now. Just can't use him because he's still looks too much like Kong.
Nintendo won a court case with Donkey Kong back in the day. Nothing stopping Toho from using Mechani-Kong other than what story he would fit in.
Mothra vs Godzilla> Gojira

Shadow Area 1-0
Image Image

Desghidorah
G-Grasper

Post by Desghidorah »

miguelnuva wrote:
Gigantis wrote:
Nintendo won a court case with Donkey Kong back in the day. Nothing stopping Toho from using Mechani-Kong other than what story he would fit in.
Yes but that court battle was over any big ape with the name "Kong" in the name, of which Donkey Kong was clearly a creation by Nintendo. It seems, though isn't fully confirmed, a reason Toho couldn't use Mechani-Kong was on top of Turner and Universal being money grubbing, Ranken/Bass actually owned some if not all the rights to Mechani-Kong since it originated in their TV show. And RB didn't go under until after Toho tried to make the many drafts of Godzilla vs. Mechani-Kong.

Destoroyah of Worlds
Gotengo Officer

Post by Destoroyah of Worlds »

Is it weird that I'm more excited for the possibility of King Kong in the Reiwa era than the actual Monsterverse film?

Seeing Kong along side Mothra, Rodan, Angurius or against King Ghidorah just seems awesome.
Come fourth, Ghidorah! Great Golden Winged Destroyer; deliver onto us a beautiful demise!

kaijuguy19
Monarch Researcher

Post by kaijuguy19 »

If GvK ends up being a big hit then I certainly see Toho wanting to get in on the hype and include Kong in any of their future movies to milk Kong's revived popularity like how G14 encouraged them to do Shin Godzilla.
Why am I always chasing rainbows?

Gigantis
Sazer

Post by Gigantis »

Honestly i still think Kong could show up. They'd probably wait till he's public domain though.

_JNavs_
Keizer

Post by _JNavs_ »

I don't see them using Kong again unless for some new story, another GvK in the next 20 years would be a bit much.
____________________________ImageImage___________________________
Instagram: @Lord.Gojira

KingKong2005
EDF Instructor

Post by KingKong2005 »

It would be smart for Toho to use King Kong in their films. King Kong Vs Godzilla was not only a smash hit and one of Toho's best for Godzilla films, but King Kong is the one who helped revive Godzilla and breathe some fresh air into the Godzilla franchise. He has been shown to be an extremely profitable character (even more so than Rodan, Mothra, or King Ghidorah), and I think if they used Kong sparingly that it would help with carrying the Reiwa era financially when they need him while also giving him new stories and routes to go through.
Image Image

Agent Smith
Monsterland Worker

Post by Agent Smith »

Yes! Having a Kong in a Japanese series again would be awesome!

LegendZilla
Sazer

Post by LegendZilla »

Gigantis wrote: Sat Jan 30, 2021 11:24 am Honestly i still think Kong could show up. They'd probably wait till he's public domain though.
I was thinking the same. Kong will enter the public domain in 2029.
Last edited by LegendZilla on Mon Feb 08, 2021 9:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Denis
Monsterland Worker

Post by Denis »

Maybe, but I prefer we actually get Sanda and Gaira in World of Godzilla.