Could Kong show up in the world of Godzilla?

For the discussion of Shin Godzilla, Godzilla -1.0, the anime trilogy, Godzilla Singular Point and Toho produced and distributed films after 2015. Includes US movies financed by Toho like Detective Pikachu.
Destoroyah of Worlds
Gotengo Officer

Re: Could Kong show up in the world of Godzilla?

Post by Destoroyah of Worlds »

Yes.

King Kong enters public domain in 2028. Any movie from then on out is fair game.

I think Toho would be absolutely crazy not to bring in King Kong.

Added in 11 minutes 28 seconds:
They could technically create a new version of Kong right now if they wanted. As the novel version of Kong is already public domain.

But if they wait a few years, they can use RKO's "King Kong" name for the extra brand recognition.
Come fourth, Ghidorah! Great Golden Winged Destroyer; deliver onto us a beautiful demise!

Cookson
Futurian

Post by Cookson »

Yeah I was going to say... technically could they not make “Kong” like LP? As long as it’s not related to the ‘33 story a giant ape named “Kong” is fair game.
"We knew the world would not be the same. Few people laughed, few people cried, most people were silent."~Robert Oppenheimer

Gigantis
Sazer

Post by Gigantis »

I almost forgot about the Kong novel. Though I think Toho should wait a bit to use Kong,not immeadiately after GVK.

A guy who randomly stumbled upon this place one day, invested much too much time into it, and now appears to be stuck here for all eternity..and strangely enough, i do not regret it!

Destoroyah of Worlds
Gotengo Officer

Cookson wrote:Yeah I was going to say... technically could they not make “Kong” like LP? As long as it’s not related to the ‘33 story a giant ape named “Kong” is fair game.
Yeah. The Kong character in the book can already be adapted into film. But they can't call him "King Kong" until 2028 unless it's a throwaway name being displayed in a circus attraction.

The world of Godzilla will probably be in its early years by 2028. King Kong can be a permanent Toho monster after that with no threats of a lawsuit from Warner brothers.
Come fourth, Ghidorah! Great Golden Winged Destroyer; deliver onto us a beautiful demise!

kaijuguy19
Monarch Researcher

Post by kaijuguy19 »

Well like others said there's nothing stopping Toho from using Kong in their new World of Godzilla movies as long as they follow the copyright rules for him. I mean that's basically how we even got Kong in the Legendary Universe to begin with so why not? It'd be a good way to continue getting Godzilla and Kong existing in the same universe together should the Monsterverse fold after Godzilla vs Kong heaven forbid that happens.
Why am I always chasing rainbows?

AllosaurHell
Monarch Researcher

Post by AllosaurHell »

The idea of Kong entering public domain really excites me, it ends the disastrous copyright rules he currently has and we could see all sorts of King Kong stories!
A maker of fun cartoons and puppets for everyone's entertainment on my YouTube channel "Allosaur House"
Your local stan of Lone Wolf Baron Corbin, Shin Godzilla and Dinosaur enthusiast and Mexican young adult that lives in Canada.

You can find me elsewhere here: https://linktr.ee/AllosaurHouse

BlankAccount
Sazer

Post by BlankAccount »

AllosaurHell wrote:The idea of Kong entering public domain really excites me, it ends the disastrous copyright rules he currently has and we could see all sorts of King Kong stories!
Sort of, gotta hope whoever buys the rights to him afterwards is more willing to team up with other companies who want to do their own take on him.

Destoroyah of Worlds
Gotengo Officer

Living Corpse wrote:
AllosaurHell wrote:The idea of Kong entering public domain really excites me, it ends the disastrous copyright rules he currently has and we could see all sorts of King Kong stories!
Sort of, gotta hope whoever buys the rights to him afterwards is more willing to team up with other companies who want to do their own take on him.
Doesn't work like that. In 2028 or 2029, he enters public domain no matter who owns him. It will have been 95 years. Toho can make him a permanent member of the Godzilla cast. I see no reason they wouldn't if they wanted more of him in the Showa and Heisei eras.

I think a lot of people would pay good money to see King Kong fight Mothra, Rodan, King Ghidorah.
Last edited by Destoroyah of Worlds on Mon Sep 02, 2019 2:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.

BlankAccount
Sazer

Post by BlankAccount »

Destoroyah of Worlds wrote:
Living Corpse wrote:
Doesn't work like that. In 2028 or 2029, he enters public domain no matter who owns him. It will have been 95 years. Toho can make him a permanent member of the Godzilla cast. I see no reason they wouldn't if they wanted more of him in the Showa and Heisei eras.

I think a lot of people would pay good money to see King Kong fight Mothra, Rodan, King Ghidorah.
Wait I'm confused, I just said whoever buys the rights to him afterwards, you said it doesn't work like that, and then said if Toho buys him.... :dizzy:

Destoroyah of Worlds
Gotengo Officer

Living Corpse wrote:
Living Corpse wrote:

Wait I'm confused, I just said whoever buys the rights to him afterwards, you said it doesn't work like that, and then said if Toho buys him.... :dizzy:
When a character or story enters the public domain, you don't need to buy the rights to use it. I could go and write something about Sherlock Holmes or Shakespear right now. Toho can go make their version of King Kong once their lawyers give the okay and have it protected for 95 years.

Gigantis
Sazer

Post by Gigantis »

I thought it was 100 years?

A guy who randomly stumbled upon this place one day, invested much too much time into it, and now appears to be stuck here for all eternity..and strangely enough, i do not regret it!

LSD Jellyfish
Administrator
Administrator

Post by LSD Jellyfish »

People assume that public domain is a good thing, and all it means is that anyone can make a film and thus the IP can be burned into the ground. See what happened with Frankenstein. I think public domain might be okay with Kong, because Kong has already been passed around tons of times, but it could still be disastrous. Also I kinda don't want Kong to appear in a Godzilla movie post KVG.
Spirit Ghidorah 2010 wrote: Sun Dec 03, 2023 4:54 pm Anno-san pleasures me more than Yamasaki-san.

Gigantis
Sazer

Post by Gigantis »

LSD Jellyfish wrote:People assume that public domain is a good thing, and all it means is that anyone can make a film and thus the IP can be burned into the ground. See what happened with Frankenstein. I think public domain might be okay with Kong, because Kong has already been passed around tons of times, but it could still be disastrous. Also I kinda don't want Kong to appear in a Godzilla movie post KVG.
One film isn't gonna cause the death of an entire IP dude.

MechaGoji Bro7503
Administrator
Administrator

Post by MechaGoji Bro7503 »

Mechani-Kong, I just wanna see Mechani-Kong again.
"Bang on, mate.", - Murdoc Niccals 2018.

"Right, wrong... Nobody's got a clue what the difference is in this town. So I'm gonna have more fun... and live crazier than any of 'em." - Goro Majima.

Our G-Force a Kaiju Podcast: https://podcasts.apple.com/us/podcast/g ... 1509725595

For unique discussions on Ultraman, Godzilla, and much more check out my channel Tiger Drop Films: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCng0uL ... VCg/videos

Destoroyah of Worlds
Gotengo Officer

tyrantgoji wrote:I thought it was 100 years?
95 years. Under the right circumstances, it can be post-poned to 120 years. For things such as flags and government works (think Smokey the Bear and Uncle Sam). Universal is very, very unlikely to get an extension on Kong. They argued he was public domain in a court case against nintendo once lol.
LSD Jellyfish wrote:People assume that public domain is a good thing, and all it means is that anyone can make a film and thus the IP can be burned into the ground. See what happened with Frankenstein. I think public domain might be okay with Kong, because Kong has already been passed around tons of times, but it could still be disastrous. Also I kinda don't want Kong to appear in a Godzilla movie post KVG.
I love how someone mentioned mechani-kong right after you said you're worried will run it into the ground

Kong will be fine. He's already had a billion rip offs.

LSD Jellyfish
Administrator
Administrator

Post by LSD Jellyfish »

95 years. Under the right circumstances, it can be post-poned to 120 years. For things such as flags and government works (think Smokey the Bear and Uncle Sam). Universal is very, very unlikely to get an extension on Kong. They argued he was public domain in a court case against nintendo once lol.
I love how someone mentioned mechani-kong right after you said you're worried will run it into the ground

Mechani-Kong was still made by a major studio.

In my mind, I'm thinking a slew of "Scifi-Original" grade Godzilla Z-Movies that utterly destroy and ruin the franchise.
Last edited by LSD Jellyfish on Mon Sep 02, 2019 7:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Spirit Ghidorah 2010 wrote: Sun Dec 03, 2023 4:54 pm Anno-san pleasures me more than Yamasaki-san.

Destoroyah of Worlds
Gotengo Officer

LSD Jellyfish wrote:

In my mind, I'm thinking a slew of "Scifi-Original" grade Godzilla Z-Movies that utterly destroy and ruin the franchise.
Honestly? It could be king of cool. It opens up Kong to indie film makers and film students. They might try and offer new angles. Like him being big foot or a crytid.

LSD Jellyfish
Administrator
Administrator

Post by LSD Jellyfish »

LSD Jellyfish wrote:
Destoroyah of Worlds wrote: 95 years. Under the right circumstances, it can be post-poned to 120 years. For things such as flags and government works (think Smokey the Bear and Uncle Sam). Universal is very, very unlikely to get an extension on Kong. They argued he was public domain in a court case against nintendo once lol.

Honestly? It could be king of cool. It opens up Kong to indie film makers and film students. They might try and offer new angles. Like him being big foot or a crytid.
Then just make a big-foot movie.

Gerdzerl

Post by Gerdzerl »

I don't think it'd ruin the franchise. If anything, it seems like it would just make it easier for more people to not go through the unnecessary and pointless red tape of copyright laws and capitalism and whatnot.

Franchises can't really be ruined to begin with, anyway. No matter how shitty new installments may be, they can never retroactively diminish the quality of earlier entries. If you don't like the new movies, just.. ignore them and watch the old ones. That isn't to say you shouldn't criticize shitty movies by any means, I just have a really hard time conceptualizing how people can let something bad ruin something good just by mere association.
Last edited by Gerdzerl on Mon Sep 02, 2019 11:56 pm, edited 3 times in total.

Vakanai
EDF Instructor

Post by Vakanai »

Being in the public domain won't ruin King Kong. Sure, Frankenstein isn't in the best place right now, but all it takes is a few years for people to forget some recent stinkers like I, Frankenstein and that weird prequel film a few years back, and a good movie will bring him back. Look at Sherlock Holmes, there's been some cruddy movies (Holmes and Watson), but the BBC series, the RDJ movies, that Ian McKellan movie, Holmes is still a star. Dracula has had some bad movies, to the point where currently his highest profile modern films are the Hotel Transylvania series, but the Castlevania anime or whatever is good. Plus we've got decades and decades worth of films from hundreds of studios to choose from. Eventually the gems outlast the chaff. So will Kong wind up with stinkers? You better believe he will, sadly. But will there be some truly great stuff? Yeah, yeah there will. For every ten horrible movies there'll be a good one, maybe even a classic. For every decade without a decent film, there'll be a truly spectacular anime or comic book or BBC/Netflix/HBO/whatever quality tv show. Kong will be fine, because he's already withstood the test of time for nearly a century. He can withstand some crappy SyFY or Asylum films. Hell, if sharks can withstand that treatment and still make okay bucks in theaters Kong should have nothing to worry about.
Last edited by Vakanai on Tue Sep 03, 2019 7:15 am, edited 1 time in total.
I unapologetically, wholeheartedly, and without a doubt hate Godzilla vs Kong.