Your fears for The World of Godzilla

For the discussion of Shin Godzilla, Godzilla -1.0, the anime trilogy, Godzilla Singular Point and Toho produced and distributed films after 2015. Includes US movies financed by Toho like Detective Pikachu.
LegendZilla
Sazer

Your fears for The World of Godzilla

Post by LegendZilla »

Hey guys, LegendZilla here once again with yet another entry in a series of threads regarding reasons we should be prepared for if we get less than satisfied with forthcoming Godzilla films. This time, the topic is Toho’s recently announced World of Godzilla cinematic universe due for release sometime following Godzilla vs Kong in 2020. Here are a few of my concerns :

1. Pumping out a new movie literally every single year can be detrimental, especially with regards to Toho’s past track record.
2. More outlandish and far-fetched interpretations of the Godzilla character that will piss off members of the old guard such as myself as seen with Shin and Monster Planet.
3. It could lead to the discontinuation of the Monsterverse over at Legendary.

Feel free to share your own reasons as to be cautious with your expectations.

Mr_Goji_and_Watch
EDF Instructor

Re: Your fears for The World of Godzilla

Post by Mr_Goji_and_Watch »

That it's going to be rushed with one film a year. Even when Toho was at their prime in the 60's, their science fiction films still suffered from rushed schedules. They've never been good at it.
Moogabunga wrote:Ive said it before and I'll gladly say it again, this is going to be the best Godzilla film ever and more importantly, its going to be the film that truly makes Godzilla mainstream (and cool)
SoggyNoodles2016 wrote:I'm glad to be a fake fan.

Jomei
Futurian

Post by Jomei »

LegendZilla wrote:More outlandish and far-fetched interpretations of the Godzilla character that will piss off members of the old guard such as myself as seen with Shin and Monster Planet.
Wait, is this the Your Biggest Hopes For the World of Godzilla thread?!?
XxHeiseifanxX wrote:Can we lower age limit! There are TOO MANY HEISEI HATERS!!!
Thatguy4683 wrote: Mon Mar 11, 2024 4:04 pmWhat? Is this a joke? What gonna on here?
♡ Can't Bin the Shin! Can't Bin the Shin! Can't Bin the Shin! Can't Bin the Shin! Can't Bin the Shin!♡
Challenge me to a Pokémon battle

eabaker
Administrator
Administrator

Post by eabaker »

LegendZilla wrote:2. More outlandish and far-fetched interpretations of the Godzilla character that will piss off members of the old guard such as myself as seen with Shin and Monster Planet.
The old guard? Your profile say's you're 28.

At 39 I'm not part of the old guard of Godzilla fandom yet. There are still plenty of active fans who were seeing Showa entries when they were new.
Tokyo, a smoldering memorial to the unknown, an unknown which at this very moment still prevails and could at any time lash out with its terrible destruction anywhere else in the world.

PitchBlackProgress
EDF Instructor

Post by PitchBlackProgress »

eabaker wrote:
LegendZilla wrote:2. More outlandish and far-fetched interpretations of the Godzilla character that will piss off members of the old guard such as myself as seen with Shin and Monster Planet.

At 39 I'm not part of the old guard of Godzilla fandom yet. There are still plenty of active fans who were seeing Showa entries when they were new.
LMFAO :lol:
Glad someone called him out on that.

My only fear is basically what everyone else has already said, rushing these films and they start to mirror the Millennium series. If each of these films have as much heart and effort Shin had, we'll be fine.
Yeah, Godzilla wins... sometimes. I mean, he was killed by Dr. Serizawa's patented bubble-bath formula, heartburn, missiles, and poor box office returns, got his ass kicked by a drunken, circus-escaped gorilla, then he was beaten by two newborn worms, yeah some “king”.
#slatternking

kingkevzilla88
Gotengo Officer

Post by kingkevzilla88 »

The new movies being anywhere from not very good to complete Sh!t, as wey as the Monsterverse ending. That being said, we'll just have to wait and see what happens, I think the Monsterverse well go on if it makes enough money.

LegendZilla
Sazer

Post by LegendZilla »

eabaker wrote:

By "old guard" I am not literally referring to my age, I'm just saying that I prefer my Godzillas being as traditional as possible, so no tail lasers, lost WW2 souls or plant-based Godzillas for me thank you.

Manuelito Canelito
G-Grasper

Post by Manuelito Canelito »

LegendZilla wrote:
eabaker wrote:

By "old guard" I am not literally referring to my age, I'm just saying that I prefer my Godzillas being as traditional as possible, so no tail lasers, lost WW2 souls or plant-based Godzillas for me thank you.
Because as we all know kids, creativity and originality are The Devil, not allowed and completely detrimental for the franchise :roll:
All houses have the same. Roof. Floor. Walls. People yelling at you that they're calling the police because you broke into their house. It's only when you give them love that they truly become Home

PitchBlackProgress
EDF Instructor

For real, this is a 60+ year franchise, if Godzilla didn't change with the times, it'd be staler than bread and left in the dust to rot years ago, so you can thank the "tail lasers" for revitalizing the franchise. ;)
Yeah, Godzilla wins... sometimes. I mean, he was killed by Dr. Serizawa's patented bubble-bath formula, heartburn, missiles, and poor box office returns, got his ass kicked by a drunken, circus-escaped gorilla, then he was beaten by two newborn worms, yeah some “king”.
#slatternking

Gailah 1966
Monarch Researcher

Post by Gailah 1966 »

No fears and no doubts about it.

I hope, no I pray that Toho goes back to a traditional suitmation technology. I guess they found new ways to optimize suitmation and make it look awesome and contemporary.
This allowes faster filming production and 1 year cycles of released movies.
And they will find a way to make the battles between the kaiju look brutal and powerful.
To go for a strategic Godzilla/Kaiju universe is the right decission. The movies will be bound together and related to each other. This is how Marvel catches more and more fans.
And finally other kaiju will be getting thier own movies. I think there is one kaiju in the mind of every Godzilla fan who deserves this more than any other:
Anguirus!

TOHO will create thier own cinematic universe and it will be a success. I´m so excited and looking forward to it. If you imagine what they could do ranging from horror like movies over science fiction like movies to classic kaiju like movies - finally molten together in a consistent film universe.

So I have absolutely no fears about the World of Godzilla (if we may call it like this)
Last edited by Gailah 1966 on Sun May 27, 2018 3:50 am, edited 2 times in total.
BIG FAN SURVEY 2023 --> viewtopic.php?t=34920
BIG FAN SURVEY 2020 --> viewtopic.php?t=30470
Video of 2020´s results --> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JUxyzsQxwa4

PitchBlackProgress
EDF Instructor

I feel like the battles can only improve after Toho see's how amazing and dynamic the fights in Godzilla 2 are.

Added in 2 minutes 48 seconds:
Gailah 1966 wrote:No fears and no doubts about it.

I hope, no I pray that Toho goes back to a traditional suitmation technology. I guess they found new ways to optimize suitmation and make it look awesome and contemporary.
This allowes faster filming production and 1 year cycles of released movies.
And they will find a way to make the battles between the kaiju look brutal and powerful.
To go for a strategic Godzilla/Kaiju universe is the right decission. The movies will be bound together and related to each other. This is how Marvel catches more and more fans.
And finally other kaiju will be getting thier own movies. I think there is one kaiju in the mind of every Godzilla fan who deserves this more than any other:
Anguirus!

TOHO will create thier own cinematic universe and it will be a success. I´m so excited and looking forward to it. If you imagine what they could do ranging from horror like movies over science fiction like movies to classic kaiju like movies - finally molten together in a consistent film universe.

So I have absolutely no fears about the World of Godzilla (if we may call it like this)
This is a strangely out-of-place comment, positivity in a TK thread? Unheard of!
But seriously though, nice to see a comment like this for a change. Glad to hear you're looking forward to it!
#slatternking

LegendZilla
Sazer

Post by LegendZilla »

ManuJM1997 wrote:
LegendZilla wrote:
eabaker wrote:

Because as we all know kids, creativity and originality are The Devil, not allowed and completely detrimental for the franchise :roll:
Had GINO’s movie actually been good, do you think fans would’ve embraced and accepted him as a truly unique and creative take on Godzilla?
Last edited by LegendZilla on Sun May 27, 2018 10:37 am, edited 1 time in total.

eabaker
Administrator
Administrator

Post by eabaker »

LegendZilla wrote:
ManuJM1997 wrote:
LegendZilla wrote:
Had GINO’s movie actually been good, do you think fans would’ve embraced and accepted him as a truly unique and creative take on Godzilla?
Some fans would have right away, and over time more and more would have.

I'd love to see what the reactions would have been from a collective Godzilla fandom with internet access when Ghidrah the Three-Headed Monster came out.
Tokyo, a smoldering memorial to the unknown, an unknown which at this very moment still prevails and could at any time lash out with its terrible destruction anywhere else in the world.

Jomei
Futurian

Post by Jomei »

Or King Kong vs Godzilla. Imagine the outrage.

"But he's a serious nuke-ya-lurr meta4!!!"
Thatguy4683 wrote: Mon Mar 11, 2024 4:04 pmWhat? Is this a joke? What gonna on here?
♡ Can't Bin the Shin! Can't Bin the Shin! Can't Bin the Shin! Can't Bin the Shin! Can't Bin the Shin!♡

KaijuCanuck
Futurian

Post by KaijuCanuck »

LegendZilla wrote:
eabaker wrote:

I like a mix, personally. As long as a more traditional Godzilla comes back around the block, I’m very interested to see new, bold takes on the character. But yeah, I wouldn’t want, say, Shin to become the new standard Godzilla, as much as I loved that movie.

Gailah 1966
Monarch Researcher

Post by Gailah 1966 »

PitchBlackProgress wrote:I feel like the battles can only improve after Toho see's how amazing and dynamic the fights in Godzilla 2 are.
I wouldn´t give too much about that what O'Shea Jackson Jr. said in this interview. This was just hyping and he was forced to say something positive. He has no comparison. I bet he didn't even watch one of the Toho original movies. My guess is that the monsters in Godzilla 2 - King of the Monsters will fight like animals and that would just be a prove that they didn't understand the whole kaiju issue. Sure the movie has to be designed for the mainstream audience but when it comes to the core, the soul and the heart of a Godzilla moive Legendary will fail all 3 Godzilla movies. This is just my opinion! Don't troll me :freak:
BIG FAN SURVEY 2023 --> viewtopic.php?t=34920
BIG FAN SURVEY 2020 --> viewtopic.php?t=30470
Video of 2020´s results --> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JUxyzsQxwa4

eabaker
Administrator
Administrator

Post by eabaker »

KaijuCanuck wrote:
LegendZilla wrote:
eabaker wrote:

I like a mix, personally. As long as a more traditional Godzilla comes back around the block, I’m very interested to see new, bold takes on the character. But yeah, I wouldn’t want, say, Shin to become the new standard Godzilla, as much as I loved that movie.
I basically don't want anything to be the standard. I want filmmakers to have the freedom to take the character and the design in new directions based on the needs of each story.

PitchBlackProgress
EDF Instructor

Gailah 1966 wrote:
PitchBlackProgress wrote:I feel like the battles can only improve after Toho see's how amazing and dynamic the fights in Godzilla 2 are.
I wouldn´t give too much about that what O'Shea Jackson Jr. said in this interview. This was just hyping and he was forced to say something positive. He has no comparison. I bet he didn't even watch one of the Toho original movies. My guess is that the monsters in Godzilla 2 - King of the Monsters will fight like animals and that would just be a prove that they didn't understand the whole kaiju issue. Sure the movie has to be designed for the mainstream audience but when it comes to the core, the soul and the heart of a Godzilla moive Legendary will fail all 3 Godzilla movies. This is just my opinion! Don't troll me :freak:
I dindn’t even meantion O’Shea Jackson Jr…

With the monster scenes being amazing in the previous two MonsterVerse flicks, it’s kinda a given we’ll see something jaw dropping this time go round as well.

And I’m pretty sure these movies are more likely to fail than the MonsterVerse, if they go the Millennium route that is.
Last edited by PitchBlackProgress on Mon May 28, 2018 12:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
#slatternking

Kaeyas
GPN Volunteer

Post by Kaeyas »

That if Monsterverse is successful, Toho does cut and paste making the Toho-verse and even Godzilla himself more like Legendary. Not that I don't like Legendary, I do. But Toho's should bare no resemblance to Monsterverse IMHO. They both need to be different. I wouldn't even mind a crossover. I just don't want two universes that look and act the same.
Dedicated To Darkness..

Jomei
Futurian

Post by Jomei »

What exactly do people mean when they say they want a "traditional" Godzilla, though?

The goofy, clapping, misty-breathed KinGoji?

The psychedelic airborne HedoGoji?

The slender, magnetic, tail-sliding superhero MegaloGoji?

The brooding, maybe psychic, nuclear pulse-emitting anti-hero of early Heisei?

The purple-spiked, black hole-tanking Millennium Godzilla?

There's at least an argument that design and ability innovation is part of the "tradition" of Godzilla.
Last edited by Jomei on Tue May 29, 2018 6:39 am, edited 3 times in total.