World Of Godzilla: Who Do You Want To See?

For the discussion of Shin Godzilla, Godzilla -1.0, the anime trilogy, Godzilla Singular Point and Toho produced and distributed films after 2015. Includes US movies financed by Toho like Detective Pikachu.
JAGzilla
Sazer

Re: World Of Godzilla: Who Do You Want To See?

Post by JAGzilla »

HillyHulk wrote:I just thought that Biollante could be a good fit for this universe. Given that it was an experiment by a scientist combining the DNA of Godzilla with a plant which led to the creature of the crocodile plant (and also the soul of a lady, I don't remember specifically but that was weird), the same story could be done here (without the psychic, that wouldn't make sense even in this universe. The lady spirit has to go, too). Shin Godzilla would be a fascinating kaiju to the world of science, after all.
Time was I would've agreed that the 'lady spirit' was some weird side thing that could and maybe should have been removed, but watching GvsB again more recently has changed my mind. Biollante stood out because of her origin, and more specifically her connection to Dr. Shiragami. Some of the most effective scenes in the movie (the genre, even) are the ones where Shiragami is staring in horror at this twisted, hideous thing he selfishly, thoughtlessly created in a last-ditch effort to save some part of his daughter, and you have the unsettling knowledge that it worked, and there actually is something human in there. It's powerful stuff.

Which isn't to say Biollante couldn't function without Erica, of course. I'm sure she could still be extremely cool. She would feel... diminished, though, to me.
"Stop wars and no more accidents. I guess that's all I can ask." -Akio

BlankAccount
Sazer

Post by BlankAccount »

Yeah Biollante has this beauty and the beast sort of thing going for her Erica or Erika (can't remember) will live on forever but trapped inside the body of a twisted lab mutation.

HillyHulk
Yuki Special

Post by HillyHulk »

JAGzilla wrote:
HillyHulk wrote:I just thought that Biollante could be a good fit for this universe. Given that it was an experiment by a scientist combining the DNA of Godzilla with a plant which led to the creature of the crocodile plant (and also the soul of a lady, I don't remember specifically but that was weird), the same story could be done here (without the psychic, that wouldn't make sense even in this universe. The lady spirit has to go, too). Shin Godzilla would be a fascinating kaiju to the world of science, after all.
Time was I would've agreed that the 'lady spirit' was some weird side thing that could and maybe should have been removed, but watching GvsB again more recently has changed my mind. Biollante stood out because of her origin, and more specifically her connection to Dr. Shiragami. Some of the most effective scenes in the movie (the genre, even) are the ones where Shiragami is staring in horror at this twisted, hideous thing he selfishly, thoughtlessly created in a last-ditch effort to save some part of his daughter, and you have the unsettling knowledge that it worked, and there actually is something human in there. It's powerful stuff.

Which isn't to say Biollante couldn't function without Erica, of course. I'm sure she could still be extremely cool. She would feel... diminished, though, to me.
I suppose, I just personally found that odd.

Gigantis
Sazer

Post by Gigantis »

Obsidius and Krystalak. sure Atari would be thrilled to see there creations in an actual Godzilla flick.

i have none specific but a kaiju based off of a ceratopsian. we are REALLY lacking in those.

oh! hears another idea!

A Giant Seal!

....... what? i know it's not the most indimidating animal but come on that sound's cool!
Last edited by Gigantis on Sat Jun 22, 2019 8:50 am, edited 2 times in total.

A guy who randomly stumbled upon this place one day, invested much too much time into it, and now appears to be stuck here for all eternity..and strangely enough, i do not regret it!

UltramanGoji

Post by UltramanGoji »

tyrantgoji wrote:
A Giant Seal!

....... what? i know it's not the most indimidating animal...
Au contraire.
Last edited by UltramanGoji on Sat Jun 22, 2019 9:04 am, edited 1 time in total.

Gigantis
Sazer

Post by Gigantis »

UltramanGoji wrote:
tyrantgoji wrote:
A Giant Seal!

....... what? i know it's not the most indimidating animal...
Au contraire.
Oh...... :shock: holy poop. okay it is pretty intimidating. But that just makes me want it more!

A guy who randomly stumbled upon this place one day, invested much too much time into it, and now appears to be stuck here for all eternity..and strangely enough, i do not regret it!

FinalSmash1689
Yojimbo

Post by FinalSmash1689 »

A mix of old school Kaiju's and ORIGINAL Kaiju's, please and thank you :)

Gawdziller1954
JXSDF Technician

Post by Gawdziller1954 »

A giant walrus that's actually a walrus and not a reptile.
OH NO, IT'S GAWDZILLER!! :D

Gigantis
Sazer

Post by Gigantis »

Gawdziller1954 wrote:A giant walrus that's actually a walrus and not a reptile.
like i said, bring back Maguma but actually make him a walrus . if he looks like a walrus, why not just make him one :?:

_JNavs_
Keizer

Post by _JNavs_ »

I had no idea Maguma was a reptile lmao, why would they do that?
____________________________ImageImage___________________________
Instagram: @Lord.Gojira

Terasawa
Xilien Halfling

Post by Terasawa »

Probably because he was written into script drafts as a reptilian creature but in the design phase he was changed to a walrus. Somehow the original dialogue describing him as “reptilian” was shot without anyone realizing or caring to change it.
寺沢. He/him/his, etc.

Gerdzerl

Post by Gerdzerl »

Maguma being a weird, walrus-like reptile is far more interesting than him just being a regular walrus but bigger. Maguma looking like a real walrus would be so boring.

BioDestroyer
GPN Volunteer

Post by BioDestroyer »

JAGzilla wrote:

I agree that Erika being a part of Biollante's origin is pretty critical to the character. Making her just another monster is...just odd, I think, and misses a huge part of her. After all, Biollante wasn't just a monster that showed up out of nowhere. That said....

I think there's an easy way to keep Erika involved that has nothing to do with her spirit at all and really just takes minor changes to the original film that'd completely change several things that we'd see and experience. Godzilla and especially Shin Godzilla, is known for his regenerative properties. So just have some scientist (say a Dr. Shiragami) be studying samples taken from Tokyo where his focus is the regenerative aspect of the cells with his daughter also studying with him (they're like a prestigious father-daughter dynamic duo) and when something happens to Erika, instead of her being outright killed just have her mortally wounded to where she's suffered injuries that she'll certainly die from in a few days no matter the medical help. Que the father recklessly trying to apply what he's learned of Godzilla's regenerative properties to his daughter and then we have her make a full recovery, only things shortly start to go wrong as she continues to evolve and mutate out of control.

The most difficult part of that, I think, is how to add the rose element as it makes little sense for a father to add rose DNA to his daughter as well in such a dire and time sensitive situation. But maybe they are allocated a small sample of Godzilla material and they had already been experimenting with rose dna so all the samples they had were already slightly compromised in that way. Also, he wouldn't be adding pure Godzilla cells to his daughter but he would've thought that he properly isolated the mechanism that caused the regeneration and just used that element.

In this way, we can have more interactions between the father and daughter and actually get Erika as a real character with a personality and motivation (in other words, the film won't start with her being blown up but spend time getting to know her first). We'd also see her mental state as she initially thinks she's OK but then slowly starts to change into a monster and be split between her humanity and her new found monsterhood. We also get a film that uses elements from the original Godzilla vs Biollante but in a very different light (as there's no need to copy the previous film completely----if you aren't going to do something new and interesting with it then don't do it at all).

So yeah, I don't think it'd be hard to keep the Erika element a part of Biollante.

Gigantis
Sazer

Post by Gigantis »

You guys think an Orca could work? maybe something similar to this?

https://www.deviantart.com/hawanja/art/ ... -104901431

JAGzilla
Sazer

Post by JAGzilla »

BioDestroyer wrote: So yeah, I don't think it'd be hard to keep the Erika element a part of Biollante.
I would watch that movie. Erika being fully alive and conscious of her transformation into a monster could be incredible if done correctly.
"Stop wars and no more accidents. I guess that's all I can ask." -Akio

Destoroyah of Worlds
Gotengo Officer

Post by Destoroyah of Worlds »

New monsters please.

Can I just say how awesome it was to be sitting in the theater and see Orga for the first time?

Orga, Biollante, and Destroyah were so cool to me because they're new.

If there are any returning characters, I only want it to be lesser known characters like Manda/Varan or one shot characters like Orga, Biollante, King Ceasar, Titanosarus, and Jet Jaguar. Maybe some lesser known monsters from Toho movies not connected to Godzilla too. The focus should be new monsters though!
Last edited by Destoroyah of Worlds on Thu Jul 11, 2019 3:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Come fourth, Ghidorah! Great Golden Winged Destroyer; deliver onto us a beautiful demise!

GodzillaBurgh
G-Force Personnel

Post by GodzillaBurgh »

I need my Jet Jagger fill.
"Just as you distrust us, so we distrust others as well. It's wrong. We're all human. As humans we are responsible to each other. We are related. Refuse us, and you will abandon your brothers. We must learn to help each other."
- Sakai, Godzilla vs. The Thing

LSD Jellyfish
Administrator
Administrator

Post by LSD Jellyfish »

Gerdzerl wrote:Maguma being a weird, walrus-like reptile is far more interesting than him just being a regular walrus but bigger. Maguma looking like a real walrus would be so boring.
Agreed.

I think with Megagurius there`s certainly a precedent for bringing back old obscure stuff and making it more interesting.
Spirit Ghidorah 2010 wrote: Sun Dec 03, 2023 4:54 pm Anno-san pleasures me more than Yamasaki-san.

Gigantis
Sazer

Post by Gigantis »

Honestly i'm surpised Toho never thought of a ceratopsian monster. They've done almost every other Dino themed one ever except what should be an obvious choice!

Stump Feet
Gotengo Officer

Post by Stump Feet »

I'm guessing you've never watched The Last Dinosaur?
*Looks at GKOTM’s box office numbers*
Long Live The Sting