World Of Godzilla: Who Do You Want To See?

For the discussion of Shin Godzilla, Godzilla -1.0, the anime trilogy, Godzilla Singular Point and Toho produced and distributed films after 2015. Includes US movies financed by Toho like Detective Pikachu.
kamilleblu
G-Grasper

Re: World Of Godzilla: Who Do You Want To See?

Post by kamilleblu »

KillCrites wrote:That makes me think, how many of these monster solo movies would actually be a financial success? People would for sure be interested in a Mothra, King Ghidorah, Rodan, and Mechagodzilla movie, but how many would actually want to see a King Caesar movie or a Biollante movie? Maybe it just depends on how good the movies look themselves and how well they're marketed more than what character they're focused on, I dunno.
Keep the budgets reasonable and make genuinely good films. Word of mouth and reputation will do the rest. And it would help to experiment. Falling back into a formulaic nature will do the cinematic universe no favors.

eabaker
Administrator
Administrator

Post by eabaker »

kamilleblu wrote:
KillCrites wrote:That makes me think, how many of these monster solo movies would actually be a financial success? People would for sure be interested in a Mothra, King Ghidorah, Rodan, and Mechagodzilla movie, but how many would actually want to see a King Caesar movie or a Biollante movie? Maybe it just depends on how good the movies look themselves and how well they're marketed more than what character they're focused on, I dunno.
Keep the budgets reasonable and make genuinely good films. Word of mouth and reputation will do the rest. And it would help to experiment. Falling back into a formulaic nature will do the cinematic universe no favors.
Yeah, I think the key to making successful movies with lesser known monsters is to make them filmmaker-driven, and to advertise story and tone more than, "The return of this one monster some fans care about!"
Tokyo, a smoldering memorial to the unknown, an unknown which at this very moment still prevails and could at any time lash out with its terrible destruction anywhere else in the world.

Anguirus'BiggestFan
Ronin

Post by Anguirus'BiggestFan »

Gerdzerl wrote:I think Anguirus could certainly carry a solo movie in theory, but, realistically, there's absolutely no way Toho would gamble with their money like that. An Anguirus film would bomb. :(
That's why I'm counting on the next shin godzilla film, or the godzilla KotM film.
The claw next to Ghidorah is very suspicious.

Godzillian
Xilien Halfling

Post by Godzillian »

Anguirus'BiggestFan wrote:
Gerdzerl wrote:I think Anguirus could certainly carry a solo movie in theory, but, realistically, there's absolutely no way Toho would gamble with their money like that. An Anguirus film would bomb. :(
That's why I'm counting on the next shin godzilla film, or the godzilla KotM film.
There's not going to be another Shin Godzilla film

Dv-218
Futurian

Post by Dv-218 »

...The "claw" is nothing more than a part of Ghidorah, perhaps one of his heads or tails. there is no other monster frozen there - otherwise it would have been mentioned on the site.
If there were other Toho monsters in the movie, Legendary would have announced that.

And like said before, there will be no Shin Godzilla 2- Anno's intention was always that it'll be a standalone movie.
Last edited by Dv-218 on Fri Sep 28, 2018 11:11 am, edited 2 times in total.

Anguirus'BiggestFan
Ronin

At the end, Yaguchi clearly states that "It's not settled yet." How could they just leave everyone on a cliff-hanger like that for good?
Last edited by Anguirus'BiggestFan on Fri Sep 28, 2018 1:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Dv-218
Futurian

Post by Dv-218 »

Anguirus'BiggestFan wrote:At the end, Yaguchi clearly states that "It's not settled yet." How could they just leave everyone on a cliff-hanger like that for good?
That's Anno and his symbolism for you :lol:

I would not be surprised if they make a spin off somewhere down the line, but as of now they intend it to be a standalone picture with most of their focus going into the Anime and "World of Godzilla".

Anguirus'BiggestFan
Ronin

Dv-218 wrote:
Anguirus'BiggestFan wrote:At the end, Yaguchi clearly states that "It's not settled yet." How could they just leave everyone on a cliff-hanger like that for good?

I would not be surprised if they make a spin off somewhere down the line, but as of now they intend it to be a standalone picture with most of their focus going into the Anime and "World of Godzilla".
I'm talking about the spinoff-somewhere-down-the-line thing, sorry I didn't mention that.

kamilleblu
G-Grasper

Post by kamilleblu »

Japan hasn't solved all of its problems yet. The country needs new leaders, millions of people displaced from their homes need somewhere to stay, there's plenty of lingering radiation, in the middle of a ruined Tokyo there's a dangerous monster that could resume activity at anytime, and the United Nations will drop a nuclear weapon the moment Godzilla recovers from the coagulant. Things are far from settled. Anno has no interest in a sequel and Toho wisely decided against it as well. Think of it like Dr. Yamane's final words in Godzilla (1954) instead of setup for a sequel.

PitchBlackProgress
EDF Instructor

Post by PitchBlackProgress »

Dv-218 wrote:

I'm talking about the spinoff-somewhere-down-the-line thing, sorry I didn't mention that.
There’s not going to BE a Shin Godzilla spin-off because Anno already told the story he wanted to, the story’s resolve isn’t a cliffhanger, the unified human race must learn to stick together and live with Godzilla being present in their world. That’s it.
You’re not going to see Shin reawaken, or the 5th form drop off and run around, it’s done with.

And I assure you, Anguirus or any other Toho monster isn’t showing up in KOTM
Yeah, Godzilla wins... sometimes. I mean, he was killed by Dr. Serizawa's patented bubble-bath formula, heartburn, missiles, and poor box office returns, got his ass kicked by a drunken, circus-escaped gorilla, then he was beaten by two newborn worms, yeah some “king”.
#slatternking

Anguirus'BiggestFan
Ronin

I'm saying that shin godzilla can survive a warhead. And it might be a couple years before someone decides to make another movie on it.

eabaker
Administrator
Administrator

Post by eabaker »

An open ending is not the same as a cliff-hanger. "This threat isn't gone for good" is a pretty standard coda for post-nuclear creature features.
Tokyo, a smoldering memorial to the unknown, an unknown which at this very moment still prevails and could at any time lash out with its terrible destruction anywhere else in the world.

Anguirus'BiggestFan
Ronin

eabaker wrote:
An open ending is not the same as a cliff-hanger. "This threat isn't gone for good" is a pretty standard coda for post-nuclear creature features.
Thanks for explaining this to me, but just because the director doesn't want to make another film doesn't mean it won't be continued later on. Take "Star Wars" for an example. It has a different director, but it's not called "Space Balls."
Last edited by Anguirus'BiggestFan on Fri Sep 28, 2018 3:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PitchBlackProgress
EDF Instructor

Post by PitchBlackProgress »

eabaker wrote:
Thanks for explaining this to me, but just because the director doesn't want to make another film doesn't mean it won't be continued later on. Take "Star Wars" for an example. It has a different director, but it's not called "Space Balls."
Shin's not getting a sequel, nor should it.

The World of Godzilla isn't going to be a one off thing, it's going to be a deeper cinematic universe lasting a few years, by the time it's over, a Shin sequel would be irrelevant.
Yeah, Godzilla wins... sometimes. I mean, he was killed by Dr. Serizawa's patented bubble-bath formula, heartburn, missiles, and poor box office returns, got his ass kicked by a drunken, circus-escaped gorilla, then he was beaten by two newborn worms, yeah some “king”.
#slatternking

LegendZilla
Sazer

Post by LegendZilla »

I just want to have my share of Anguirus. Toho really has a fetish for the poor guy’s absence.
Last edited by LegendZilla on Sun Sep 30, 2018 7:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.

GojiDude95
Interpol Agent

Post by GojiDude95 »

I want see Godzilla use some of the newly shown skills that he's recently gotten. I liked the gas flame breath that shin spewed out just before becoming a lazer beam. I also want to see the return of old techniques like the magnet field and the nuclear pulse.
And please give some love to other kaiju, I'm sick of the those two. You know who I'm talking about.

GojiDog
G-Grasper

Post by GojiDog »

I'm a simple man of simple needs.

If Toho can give me Godzilla and The Gargantuas in a film together, and bring Gorosauras back, even if in a small role, I'll be happy.
White Male Genocide is necessary.

Kill all white men.

GojiDude95
Interpol Agent

Post by GojiDude95 »

Can we also talk about how we want Godzilla to look like in this series or is that in an another thread?

KillCrites
Interpol Agent

Post by KillCrites »

GojiDude95 wrote:Can we also talk about how we want Godzilla to look like in this series or is that in an another thread?
Here: viewtopic.php?f=40&t=27788
why did i have to be the chosen one?

GojiDude95
Interpol Agent

Post by GojiDude95 »

Gracias.