Say Something Negative About "Shin Gojira"

For the discussion of Godzilla Resurgence, the Godzilla anime trilogy and Toho produced and distributed films after 2015. Includes US movies financed by Toho like Detective Pikachu.
User avatar
Mechagigan
EDF Soldier
Posts: 3925
Joined: Thu Mar 20, 2014 12:37 pm

Re: Say Something Negative About "Shin Gojira"

Postby Mechagigan » Tue Jul 24, 2018 8:18 am

If a Shin sequel is made, I imagine it'll feel similar to G'84 versus the rest of the Heisei series. They're all part of the same run, but '84 stands out in more than a few ways.

User avatar
GojiDude95
Interpol Agent
Posts: 415
Joined: Wed Jan 24, 2018 9:36 pm

Re: Say Something Negative About "Shin Gojira"

Postby GojiDude95 » Fri Jul 27, 2018 9:13 pm

Indeed. G'84 is in my top 3 favorites list. From the music, the action, the tension, the effects, and how they handled the infamous Cold War.

garuda89
Ronin
Posts: 6
Joined: Fri Aug 31, 2018 8:23 am

Re: Say Something Negative About "Shin Gojira"

Postby garuda89 » Tue Sep 11, 2018 11:19 am

It gave the pseudo-intellectual film school rejects on this forum a movie to worship to the point of frothing over the mouth at every review that doesn't give it a perfect score (looking at you goji and watch). I know you believe it deep down inside but liking a Godzilla movie doesn't make you smarter than others. In fact, claiming intellectual superiority over taste in Godzilla movies actually shows how much of a manchild you are.

User avatar
eabaker
Seatopian Daikaiju
Posts: 10564
Joined: Tue Aug 21, 2012 6:16 pm
Location: Los Angeles, CA

Re: Say Something Negative About "Shin Gojira"

Postby eabaker » Tue Sep 11, 2018 11:30 am

I resent that! I'm a pseudo-intellectual film school graduate, thank you very much! I am actually qualified to teach pseudo-intellectual film analysis at the university level!
Last edited by eabaker on Tue Sep 11, 2018 11:30 am, edited 1 time in total.
Tokyo, a smoldering memorial to the unknown, an unknown which at this very moment still prevails and could at any time lash out with its terrible destruction anywhere else in the world.

User avatar
Mr_Goji_and_Watch
G-Force Lieutenant
Posts: 2152
Joined: Sun Jul 17, 2016 4:34 pm
Location: le kinoplex locale
Contact:

Re: Say Something Negative About "Shin Gojira"

Postby Mr_Goji_and_Watch » Tue Sep 11, 2018 11:30 am

garuda89 wrote:It gave the pseudo-intellectual film school rejects on this forum a movie to worship to the point of frothing over the mouth at every review that doesn't give it a perfect score (looking at you goji and watch). I know you believe it deep down inside but liking a Godzilla movie doesn't make you smarter than others. In fact, claiming intellectual superiority over taste in Godzilla movies actually shows how much of a manchild you are.


Yikes! They're just monster movies, no need to get peeved over it.
Moogabunga wrote:Ive said it before and I'll gladly say it again, this is going to be the best Godzilla film ever and more importantly, its going to be the film that truly makes Godzilla mainstream (and cool)

动态网自由门 天安門 天安门 法輪功 李洪志 Free Tibet 六四天安門事件 The Tiananmen Square protests of 1989 天安門大屠殺 The Tiananmen Square Massacre 反右派鬥爭 The Anti-Rightist Struggle 大躍進政策 The Great Leap Forward 文化大革命 The Great Proletarian Cultural Revolution 人權 Human Rights

User avatar
Maritonic
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 5424
Joined: Tue Aug 16, 2016 6:26 am
Location: UberRichNewYork

Re: Say Something Negative About "Shin Gojira"

Postby Maritonic » Tue Sep 11, 2018 11:35 am

This is gonna be fun...
Resized Image

"The soil of a man's heart is stonier; a man grows what he can, and tends it.

goji89 wrote:So.......are we gonna Kinkshame the skreeonking birds or what?

garuda89
Ronin
Posts: 6
Joined: Fri Aug 31, 2018 8:23 am

Re: Say Something Negative About "Shin Gojira"

Postby garuda89 » Tue Sep 11, 2018 11:42 am

Mr_Goji_and_Watch wrote:
garuda89 wrote:It gave the pseudo-intellectual film school rejects on this forum a movie to worship to the point of frothing over the mouth at every review that doesn't give it a perfect score (looking at you goji and watch). I know you believe it deep down inside but liking a Godzilla movie doesn't make you smarter than others. In fact, claiming intellectual superiority over taste in Godzilla movies actually shows how much of a manchild you are.


Yikes! They're just monster movies, no need to get peeved over it.

>Claim intellectual superiority because you like a monster movie that someone else doesn't
>get called out for it
>"I'm not the one taking it too seriously, YOU ARE"

For the record, I couldn't give less of a poop about anyone's opinions of this franchise, your favorite movie could be skreeonking Godzilla's Revenge and I would not think anything less of you. But the smug elitist attitudes need to stop. Just in this thread alone I've seen more of it than I can stomach. You know why everyone else sees this place as the cesspool of Godzilla fan sites? This is why. Because a significant portion of you act like this and the moderators allow it.

User avatar
Mr_Goji_and_Watch
G-Force Lieutenant
Posts: 2152
Joined: Sun Jul 17, 2016 4:34 pm
Location: le kinoplex locale
Contact:

Re: Say Something Negative About "Shin Gojira"

Postby Mr_Goji_and_Watch » Tue Sep 11, 2018 11:47 am

garuda89 wrote:>Claim intellectual superiority because you like a monster movie that someone else doesn't
>get called out for it
>"I'm not the one taking it too seriously, YOU ARE"


Why are you greentexting outside of 4chan? And where did this narrative come from?!

You know why everyone else sees this place as the cesspool of Godzilla fan sites? This is why. Because a significant portion of you act like this and the moderators allow it.

What does this have to do Shin Godzilla?

Man I can't believe we have trolls from r/godzilla over here. Yikes!
Last edited by Mr_Goji_and_Watch on Tue Sep 11, 2018 1:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Moogabunga wrote:Ive said it before and I'll gladly say it again, this is going to be the best Godzilla film ever and more importantly, its going to be the film that truly makes Godzilla mainstream (and cool)

动态网自由门 天安門 天安门 法輪功 李洪志 Free Tibet 六四天安門事件 The Tiananmen Square protests of 1989 天安門大屠殺 The Tiananmen Square Massacre 反右派鬥爭 The Anti-Rightist Struggle 大躍進政策 The Great Leap Forward 文化大革命 The Great Proletarian Cultural Revolution 人權 Human Rights

User avatar
Smuggers
Futurian
Posts: 1825
Joined: Sat Jul 14, 2012 3:29 pm
Location: United Kingdom

Re: Say Something Negative About "Shin Gojira"

Postby Smuggers » Tue Sep 11, 2018 1:45 pm

garuda89 wrote:I couldn't give less of a poop about anyone's opinions of this franchise[...]But the smug elitist attitudes need to stop.

Your posts read like some kind of weird parody. Why should anyone listen to anything you say when you clearly have no interest in anything besides insulting and talking down to people? The holier-than-thou attitude isn't any better coming from you just because you're trying to claim (out of nowhere) some sort of moral superiority because you think the way some people write their posts isn't nice enough. The thread isn't called "Say Something Negative About 'Shin Gojira' And We'll All Pretend It's Completely Objective" is it?

If you think this site is so horrible, why are you here? This reminds me think of a very specific subset of fans who really like G14 and get really defensive whenever Shin Godzilla mentioned because they think it stole Legendary's thunder within the fandom or something. Bizarre.

Also, "cesspool of Godzilla fan sites" what other sites are there? /r/godzilla? Kaiju Combat forums? :lol:
LegendZilla wrote:I see this movie as said dying child.

BARAGONBREH wrote:This website is a disturbing commentary on the state of reading comprehension today.

User avatar
GodzillavsZilla
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 2907
Joined: Sat Jan 01, 2011 9:45 am
Location: somewhere riding on Anguirus

Re: Say Something Negative About "Shin Gojira"

Postby GodzillavsZilla » Tue Sep 11, 2018 2:20 pm

garuda89 wrote:
Mr_Goji_and_Watch wrote:
garuda89 wrote:It gave the pseudo-intellectual film school rejects on this forum a movie to worship to the point of frothing over the mouth at every review that doesn't give it a perfect score (looking at you goji and watch). I know you believe it deep down inside but liking a Godzilla movie doesn't make you smarter than others. In fact, claiming intellectual superiority over taste in Godzilla movies actually shows how much of a manchild you are.


Yikes! They're just monster movies, no need to get peeved over it.

>Claim intellectual superiority because you like a monster movie that someone else doesn't
>get called out for it
>"I'm not the one taking it too seriously, YOU ARE"

For the record, I couldn't give less of a poop about anyone's opinions of this franchise, your favorite movie could be skreeonking Godzilla's Revenge and I would not think anything less of you. But the smug elitist attitudes need to stop. Just in this thread alone I've seen more of it than I can stomach. You know why everyone else sees this place as the cesspool of Godzilla fan sites? This is why. Because a significant portion of you act like this and the moderators allow it.

Let's not start a flame war talking about if TK sucks or not or people who like/defend Shin. If you and GojiandWatch want to continue this discussion, take it to the PMs.
BrashAlaskan95 wrote:
UltramanGoji wrote:I hope you plan on mounting this thing. :lol:

On my wall. ;)
I'll call it "Bob: The One Who Was skreeonk From The Start". :lol:
skreeonk scary poop though if it is just scratches.


Zilla103192 wrote:She saw Godzilla fly... And just gave up. She called bullshit, broke up with me, and just left.

User avatar
Tarbosaurus
Samurai
Posts: 139
Joined: Fri Aug 27, 2010 6:34 pm

Re: Say Something Negative About "Shin Gojira"

Postby Tarbosaurus » Sun Oct 07, 2018 5:06 pm

Well to get back on track. I'd have liked Godzilla to be a bit more active. Most destruction is caused solely by beam use and Godzilla walking forward and that isn't bad, but I'd have liked him to drag his tail through some buildings, swat at some others, and knowingly stomp on structures. Shin's grown on me but he comes off as pretty lethargic to be honest.
"That's what I get for attacking a pirate-scientist." - POLE7645 on Ogata's life choices

User avatar
Gojira18
G-Grasper
Posts: 1087
Joined: Sat Jan 16, 2016 3:00 pm

Re: Say Something Negative About "Shin Gojira"

Postby Gojira18 » Tue Oct 09, 2018 7:50 am

Some parts of the movie kinda dragged whenever Godzilla wasn't the main focus. Others were a bit long and could've been trimmed of the excess fat.

Online
GojiDog
Interpol Agent
Posts: 513
Joined: Thu Feb 15, 2018 6:16 pm

Re: Say Something Negative About "Shin Gojira"

Postby GojiDog » Tue Oct 09, 2018 9:29 am

The first form we see of Godzilla is really goofy looking, and always gets a laugh whenever I watch the movie with friends.

Whether or not that is a negative, I guess is up to you.
Last edited by GojiDog on Tue Oct 09, 2018 9:30 am, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
Solia
Yojimbo
Posts: 95
Joined: Fri Sep 29, 2017 11:07 am

Re: Say Something Negative About "Shin Gojira"

Postby Solia » Wed Oct 10, 2018 5:28 am

GojiDog wrote:The first form we see of Godzilla is really goofy looking, and always gets a laugh whenever I watch the movie with friends.

Whether or not that is a negative, I guess is up to you.


I view it as a negative
"Japan's filmmakers are really starting to perform a dick-waving contest as to who can make the weirdest and most untraditional Godzilla. First Anno turns him into the beef-jerky version of Hedorah and now Gen Urobuchi turns the character into his own incesteous lovechild with Biollante. I bet that next, we will have Godzilla get tuned into some sort of rogue A.I." - LegendZilla

User avatar
TyrantGojira
Futurian
Posts: 1887
Joined: Thu Apr 05, 2012 2:20 pm
Location: Omicron Persei 8

Re: Say Something Negative About "Shin Gojira"

Postby TyrantGojira » Wed Oct 10, 2018 8:31 am

I find Godzilla's lack of mobility kinda dull. He often lacks energy that most other other incarnations have.
"Am I glad he's frozen in there and that we're out here, and that he's the sheriff, and that we're frozen out here, and that we're in there and I just remembered we're out here. What I wanna know is where's the caveman?"
Image

User avatar
Living Corpse
Keizer
Posts: 8546
Joined: Sat Dec 27, 2014 10:49 pm

Re: Say Something Negative About "Shin Gojira"

Postby Living Corpse » Wed Oct 10, 2018 8:32 am

Shin's song has more personality than himself.
Image

User avatar
Desghidorah
JXSDF Technician
Posts: 755
Joined: Mon Jul 29, 2013 10:06 am

Re: Say Something Negative About "Shin Gojira"

Postby Desghidorah » Thu Oct 11, 2018 9:45 am

Shin is a 2010s, chiefly CGI creation that is less emotive or active than Mr. Nakajima under hot studio lamps in a 200+ pound suit.
Image

User avatar
KaijuCanuck
EDF Soldier
Posts: 3390
Joined: Wed Jun 21, 2017 4:12 pm
Location: The Milky Way

Re: Say Something Negative About "Shin Gojira"

Postby KaijuCanuck » Thu Oct 11, 2018 2:25 pm

I’m happy there’s not going to be a sequel.
Image

User avatar
Desghidorah
JXSDF Technician
Posts: 755
Joined: Mon Jul 29, 2013 10:06 am

Re: Say Something Negative About "Shin Gojira"

Postby Desghidorah » Fri Oct 12, 2018 6:35 am

KaijuCanuck wrote:I’m happy there’s not going to be a sequel.


This. Not out of any spite granted, but because I don't feel there is much they could do without it being a retread or drastically changing "Godzilla" with the humanoids. Shin works best as a one-off movie, not a saga in my honest opinion.
Image

User avatar
Zarm
E.S.P.Spy
Posts: 4745
Joined: Tue Jun 28, 2016 3:21 pm
Location: USA, East Coast
Contact:

Re: Say Something Negative About "Shin Gojira"

Postby Zarm » Fri Oct 12, 2018 6:46 am

Agreed. If anything, it's a complement; the film perfectly captures everything it's trying to; getting the Indiana Jones IV treatment of a superfluous sequel would probably be a diminishment. Wanting it to stand on its own is, in its roundabout way, a desire for preserving its integrity.
KaijuCanuck wrote:It’s part of my secret plan to create a fifth column in the US, pre-emoting our glorious conquest and the creation of the Canadian Empire, upon which the sun will consistently set after less than eight hours of daylight. :ninja:


Winner of the last-ever(?) TK Fantasy Match tournament.

#ProLife

The Zone Fighter campaign is funded and complete, with translations in progress! PM me if you want to be part of the Facebook updates group.

Maranatha!


Return to “"Shin" and Beyond (2016-Current)”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest