Say Something Negative About "Shin Gojira"

For the discussion of Shin Godzilla, Godzilla -1.0, the anime trilogy, Godzilla Singular Point and Toho produced and distributed films after 2015. Includes US movies financed by Toho like Detective Pikachu.
Jomei
Futurian

Re: Say Something Negative About "Shin Gojira"

Post by Jomei »

Zarm wrote:Sarcasm is unnecessary. You posed the question 'why didn't Godzilla just fry Serizawa with his atomic breath?' Just answering that objection.
That wasn't sarcasm, and I won't let you dictate my tone. The point is that, if Shin is guilty of "nerfing" the creature for a plan to succeed, Gojira is as equally as guilty--probably much more guilty, because at least Shin Godzilla justifies it, even if you personally can't suspend your disbelief.
Maritonic wrote:My problem with the mouth-open complaint is that it's sort of just suspension of disbelief. You hit a point where you have to just accept it's a movie and kind of deal with it. It never took me out of the experience, so I'm not really sure why it's such a big issue. And I have to agree; if it's a complaint, then you really could apply it to almost any action against Godzilla to beat him in previous films. You could ask a million "whys" of the Godzilla franchise and what it boils down to is "it's a movie and it would be kinda lame if Serizawa got torched by Godzilla".

Absolutely. It's a low form of criticism, and people are applying this logistical skepticism inconsistently.

What would be a more serious concern? I saw Rodan and eabaker in one thread discussing whether the (arguable--I kind of disagree) lack of on-screen human death is effective for the film, with IIRC Rodan arguing it's a weakness of the film and eabaker saying it's a double-edged sword of sorts. Now, there are lots of positions to take on this, and even a question of whether there really is less on-screen death than in Gojira, for example, but it's a much more interesting, insightful question to raise than silly logistical nitpicking of an action scene.
Last edited by Jomei on Tue May 29, 2018 7:24 am, edited 2 times in total.
XxHeiseifanxX wrote:Can we lower age limit! There are TOO MANY HEISEI HATERS!!!
Thatguy4683 wrote: Mon Mar 11, 2024 4:04 pmWhat? Is this a joke? What gonna on here?
♡ Can't Bin the Shin! Can't Bin the Shin! Can't Bin the Shin! Can't Bin the Shin! Can't Bin the Shin!♡
Challenge me to a Pokémon battle

Zarm
E.S.P.Spy

Post by Zarm »

Maritonic wrote:My problem with the mouth-open complaint is that it's sort of just suspension of disbelief. You hit a point where you have to just accept it's a movie and kind of deal with it. It never took me out of the experience, so I'm not really sure why it's such a big issue. And I have to agree; if it's a complaint, then you really could apply it to almost any action against Godzilla to beat him in previous films. You could ask a million "whys" of the Godzilla franchise and what it boils down to is "it's a movie and it would be kinda lame if Serizawa got torched by Godzilla".
I'm sorry; I'd disagree. I just don't see the 'Serizawa' question as equivalent. That's a negative- 'why didn't something else happen?' This is a different question- 'why did this series of contrived, difficult-to-believe things happen?' And for me, it does break suspension of disbelief; it doesn't fit the tone of the film, and it strains credulity. Contrivance to resolve a situation that shouldn't be resolvable under the circumstances is always a flaw in television and film, and to me, this is a significant flaw in the film. The ending doesn't really work. It wants to be a victory of the collective over the one, but it has to alter the nature of the one and stack the deck unreasonably in favor of the collective to do so, which undercuts its message and takes me (and it sounds like, some other viewers as well), out of the story.
KaijuCanuck wrote:It’s part of my secret plan to create a fifth column in the US, pre-emoting our glorious conquest and the creation of the Canadian Empire, upon which the sun will consistently set after less than eight hours of daylight. :ninja:
The grace of God is a greater gift than we can truly fathom; undeserved mercy is a kindness humbling in its sheer scope.

The Zone Fighter campaign is complete, with all episodes subtitled! PM me if you need a link location.

Maranatha!

Maritonic
Admin | Forum Manager
Admin | Forum Manager

Post by Maritonic »

Zarm wrote:
I'm sorry; I'd disagree. I just don't see the 'Serizawa' question as equivalent. That's a negative- 'why didn't something else happen?' This is a different question- 'why did this series of contrived, difficult-to-believe things happen?' And for me, it does break suspension of disbelief; it doesn't fit the tone of the film, and it strains credulity. Contrivance to resolve a situation that shouldn't be resolvable under the circumstances is always a flaw in television and film, and to me, this is a significant flaw in the film. The ending doesn't really work. It wants to be a victory of the collective over the one, but it has to alter the nature of the one and stack the deck unreasonably in favor of the collective to do so, which undercuts its message and takes me (and it sounds like, some other viewers as well), out of the story.
Well, I'm very sorry you feel that way. Because my wife and I were blown away by Shin and after multiple repeat viewings still believe it's one of, if not the very best, of the franchise.
Any issues, please feel free to private message me or e-mail me at MaritonicTK@gmail.com.
Bruno says we're not supposed to hate.
MechaGoji Bro7503 wrote: Tue Jan 31, 2023 3:24 pm Don't go to a friend's wedding, send him 100 copies of Gamera vs Zigra instead. Be a man.

Jomei
Futurian

Post by Jomei »

I don't think it alters the nature of Godzilla. It shows humanity working together, with information received from Goro Maki, whose research and frustration apparently led to his suicide (there are echoes of the original film there), to execute a plan that exploits the creature's weak points using Japan's science and infrastructure as weapons (with international cooperation, furthermore).

I mean, I think it absolutely fits the tone and really brings a lot of the thematic content together in dramatic fashion.
XxHeiseifanxX wrote:Can we lower age limit! There are TOO MANY HEISEI HATERS!!!
Thatguy4683 wrote: Mon Mar 11, 2024 4:04 pmWhat? Is this a joke? What gonna on here?
♡ Can't Bin the Shin! Can't Bin the Shin! Can't Bin the Shin! Can't Bin the Shin! Can't Bin the Shin!♡
Challenge me to a Pokémon battle

Zarm
E.S.P.Spy

Post by Zarm »

Maritronic wrote: Well, I'm very sorry you feel that way. Because my wife and I were blown away by Shin and after multiple repeat viewings still believe it's one of, if not the very best, of the franchise.
I do understand that. And I'm not really saying anything against that. But this thread is literally for the flaws in that film. I just find this to be one of the flaws. That's not meant to diminish the enjoyment that you and your wife got from it.
KaijuCanuck wrote:It’s part of my secret plan to create a fifth column in the US, pre-emoting our glorious conquest and the creation of the Canadian Empire, upon which the sun will consistently set after less than eight hours of daylight. :ninja:
The grace of God is a greater gift than we can truly fathom; undeserved mercy is a kindness humbling in its sheer scope.

The Zone Fighter campaign is complete, with all episodes subtitled! PM me if you need a link location.

Maranatha!

Maritonic
Admin | Forum Manager
Admin | Forum Manager

Post by Maritonic »

Zarm wrote:
Maritronic wrote: Well, I'm very sorry you feel that way. Because my wife and I were blown away by Shin and after multiple repeat viewings still believe it's one of, if not the very best, of the franchise.
I do understand that. And I'm not really saying anything against that. But this thread is literally for the flaws in that film. I just find this to be one of the flaws. That's not meant to diminish the enjoyment that you and your wife got from it.
Nor I saying you're wrong for your criticism for it. :) Just saying I am genuinely sorry you feel that way because I wish you could find the same enjoyment in it.
Any issues, please feel free to private message me or e-mail me at MaritonicTK@gmail.com.
MechaGoji Bro7503 wrote: Tue Jan 31, 2023 3:24 pm Don't go to a friend's wedding, send him 100 copies of Gamera vs Zigra instead. Be a man.

Zarm
E.S.P.Spy

Post by Zarm »

Maritonic wrote:
Zarm wrote:
Nor I saying you're wrong for your criticism for it. :) Just saying I am genuinely sorry you feel that way because I wish you could find the same enjoyment in it.
As do I.

Maranatha!

ToxicLove
Interpol Agent

Post by ToxicLove »

Maritonic wrote: Well, I'm very sorry you feel that way. Because my wife and I were blown away by Shin and after multiple repeat viewings still believe it's one of, if not the very best, of the franchise.
You not only have fine, aged taste like wine: you also have the best Price/Corman Poe film as your sig.

I had the pleasure of meeting Victoria Price, and she is perhaps the sweetest person ever.

Maritonic
Admin | Forum Manager
Admin | Forum Manager

Post by Maritonic »

ToxicLove wrote:
Maritonic wrote: Well, I'm very sorry you feel that way. Because my wife and I were blown away by Shin and after multiple repeat viewings still believe it's one of, if not the very best, of the franchise.
You not only have fine, aged taste like wine: you also have the best Price/Corman Poe film as your sig.

I had the pleasure of meeting Victoria Price, and she is perhaps the sweetest person ever.
I had the same pleasure. She was extremely pleasant. I was wearing a Last Man On Earth shirt and we were at a Dr. Phibes screening. We had quite a discussion. It was an amazing experience.

Beast Blood
G-Force Personnel

Post by Beast Blood »

I don't like the Shin design. It's not the skin texture. That one I think is interesting. It's the proportions. The tiny arms and huge thighs... I prefer the opposite way around on monsters - top-heavy creatures. It just isn't my kind of monster design.

Destorogoji
G-Grasper

Post by Destorogoji »

Sometimes there's just too much Evangelion in it, and, as an Evangelion fan, it's too distracting.
Here's my Instagram, I post photos of my figures, customs and sometimes other stuff:
https://www.instagram.com/buruno.98/

GojiDude95
Interpol Agent

Post by GojiDude95 »

-Annie Patterson as a whole.
-The whole Kamata-kun thing was really cringy. This is Godzilla not a freaking pokemon!
-When form A showed on screen I heard several people laughing at this ridiculous design. I don't blame them.
The eva tracks were sooo repetitive and it came to the point where I actually have to skip the entire scene or watch muted with subtitles because of it.
-His design as a whole. Honestly I was really liking the head design as they were teasing it to be the scariest look yet. However the tiny arms, the chicken thigh with a skinny top, the long neck, and the Pacific Rim kaiju chest spike weren't in my cup of tea.
-Some inconsistencies of Godzilla's strength were when it took two large-ass skyscrapers to pin him down but a couple of trains(with explosives) where able to pin him much faster and for longer?

master_of_monsters
EDF Instructor

Post by master_of_monsters »

cant stand Anno. plain and simple
your source of self destruction

MechaGoji Bro7503
Administrator
Administrator

Post by MechaGoji Bro7503 »

Satomi Ishihara distracted me from the plot...... she was too attractive. :lol:
"Bang on, mate.", - Murdoc Niccals 2018.

"Right, wrong... Nobody's got a clue what the difference is in this town. So I'm gonna have more fun... and live crazier than any of 'em." - Goro Majima.

Our G-Force a Kaiju Podcast: https://podcasts.apple.com/us/podcast/g ... 1509725595

For unique discussions on Ultraman, Godzilla, and much more check out my channel Tiger Drop Films: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCng0uL ... VCg/videos

Dawsbfiremind
EDF Instructor

Post by Dawsbfiremind »

MechaGoji Bro7503 wrote:Satomi Ishihara distracted me from the plot...... she was too attractive. :lol:
Amen! :lol:
goji89 wrote:
Dawsbfiremind wrote:People have asked me how I can want to be a writer
With skills like this......I wonder too.
MechaGoji Bro7503 wrote:Holy mother of Bagan we actually are stuck in limbo.
TK drinking game official rules.
https://www.tohokingdom.com/forum/viewt ... 0#p1564587

GodzillaBurgh
G-Force Personnel

Post by GodzillaBurgh »

All I can say is that there aren't enough power lines, because It's a rule in both Anno's works and other anime:
POWER LINES ARE ARTSY
[/size]Image
"Just as you distrust us, so we distrust others as well. It's wrong. We're all human. As humans we are responsible to each other. We are related. Refuse us, and you will abandon your brothers. We must learn to help each other."
- Sakai, Godzilla vs. The Thing

KaijuCanuck
Futurian

Post by KaijuCanuck »

I would liked to have seen more of Godzilla’s pre-landing form than just the tail waving around, and also the pre-mutation animal.
Last edited by KaijuCanuck on Thu Jul 05, 2018 10:58 am, edited 1 time in total.

Darth Kiryu
JXSDF Technician

Post by Darth Kiryu »

My only complaints are the English dialogue and I was a bit disappointed they didn't fully remaster or even re-record Ifukube's compositions.

GodzillaBurgh
G-Force Personnel

Post by GodzillaBurgh »

I felt that the English dub is not really convincing, everyone sounds SO bored. I was disappointed since FUNimation's track record of awesome dubs like Yu Yu Hakusho, Dragon Ball Z & Super over the years, and dubs for the Rebuild of Evangelion movies. Shin Godzilla's dub is a failed opportunity of finally achieving a fantastic dub of a Godzilla movie by now.
"Just as you distrust us, so we distrust others as well. It's wrong. We're all human. As humans we are responsible to each other. We are related. Refuse us, and you will abandon your brothers. We must learn to help each other."
- Sakai, Godzilla vs. The Thing

GodzillaRangerPrime
JXSDF Technician

Post by GodzillaRangerPrime »

Horrible pacing

I wonder what the studio cut was like
xD
Chris55 wrote:
Underworld54 wrote:
GalacticPetey wrote:They're not half-assing the Star Wars movies.
I very much consider TFA to be half-assed. What a generic film which only fed on nostalgia, it brought nothing new to the table.
That's not true. C3PO had a red arm.