Say Something Negative About "Shin Gojira"

For the discussion of Shin Godzilla, Godzilla -1.0, the anime trilogy, Godzilla Singular Point and Toho produced and distributed films after 2015. Includes US movies financed by Toho like Detective Pikachu.
Jomei
Futurian

Re: Say Something Negative About "Shin Gojira"

Post by Jomei »

master_of_monsters wrote:cant stand Anno. plain and simple
It must have been frustrating to see his movie make so much money and win so many awards. I feel for you, dude.
XxHeiseifanxX wrote:Can we lower age limit! There are TOO MANY HEISEI HATERS!!!
Thatguy4683 wrote: Mon Mar 11, 2024 4:04 pmWhat? Is this a joke? What gonna on here?
♡ Can't Bin the Shin! Can't Bin the Shin! Can't Bin the Shin! Can't Bin the Shin! Can't Bin the Shin!♡
Challenge me to a Pokémon battle

master_of_monsters
EDF Instructor

Post by master_of_monsters »

Jomei wrote:
It must have been frustrating to see his movie make so much money and win so many awards. I feel for you, dude.
not really frustrating but I did have a firm palm to the face. I find it baffling how his, to be frank "messes" receive as much prestige and recognition as they do
your source of self destruction

Jomei
Futurian

Post by Jomei »

master_of_monsters wrote:
Jomei wrote:
not really frustrating but I did have a firm palm to the face. I find it baffling how his, to be frank "messes" receive as much prestige and recognition as they do
There's sometimes a difference between appreciating and liking something. Maybe your dislike is preventing you from seeing merit in his work, even if it's really not for you.

Lars Von Trier really turns me off, for example, but I can recognize that he certainly has abilities.
Thatguy4683 wrote: Mon Mar 11, 2024 4:04 pmWhat? Is this a joke? What gonna on here?
♡ Can't Bin the Shin! Can't Bin the Shin! Can't Bin the Shin! Can't Bin the Shin! Can't Bin the Shin!♡

HeiseiGodzilla117
Xilien Halfling

Post by HeiseiGodzilla117 »

Jomei wrote:
There's sometimes a difference between appreciating and liking something. Maybe your dislike is preventing you from seeing merit in his work, even if it's really not for you.

Lars Von Trier really turns me off, for example, but I can recognize that he certainly has abilities.

That's generally a good philosophy to have towards art and artists of all kinds.
Spirit Ghidorah 2010 wrote: Sun Dec 03, 2023 4:54 pm Anno-san pleasures me more than Yamasaki-san.

GojiDog
G-Grasper

Post by GojiDog »

I mostly loved Shin Gojira. I liked the pacing, the approach, the take on Godzilla, and hell I thought it was funny too. As someone who works in the Government in some capacity, I can say that I was darn near belly laughing during the opening portion of the film when it was just jumping from one larger meeting to another. I just sat there chuckling and going "Yup! That's about right".

Two things I wasn't a fan of:

1) The first design of Godzilla we see is, uh, unique to say the least. It kind of got meme-ified and we got some humor out of it, but within the film itself, it was kind of hard to be afraid of a googly eyed mess wiggling across the city. In a way, it kind of works to make Godzilla seem less threatening at first and then as the government continues its incompetence, the problem becomes more and more severe. But still there...could have done without the googly eyes.

2) Satomi Ishihara is a lovely young lady and probably a fine actress (with language barriers, I have a hard time telling a good actor from a bad one to be honest) but if you're actress isn't fluent in English, then maybe giving her a ton of English to speak isn't the best idea. She's supposed to be an American with a high government standing, and there was no way on Earth I could buy her as an English speaker. It makes me wonder about the Foreign language moments in English speaking films that I take for granted. I wonder if any of them sound terrible to those that actually do speak the language.
White Male Genocide is necessary.

Kill all white men.

KaijuCanuck
Futurian

Post by KaijuCanuck »

As much as I love this movie and this Godzilla, I don’t love them enough to want this Godzilla to become the ‘standard’ character design or whatever. I’m actually quite happy there is going to be no sequel. I think it works perfectly as a stand-alone.

Jomei
Futurian

Post by Jomei »

KaijuCanuck wrote:As much as I love this movie and this Godzilla, I don’t love them enough to want this Godzilla to become the ‘standard’ character design or whatever.
Oh you don't have to worry about th--

:-x

On a serious note, this is the current working "standard" design for a majority of the merchandising and promotional stuff Toho has put out, even after two anime Godzilla movies. But the design may never get a feature length treatment again, as the prospects of a sequel are questionable at this point, and the design/iteration doesn't really fit easily into another story. It's a singular take on the character, so it almost rules out reuse in any sense other than a direct continuation. (I say this, but then the almighty yen is a powerful motivator...)
Last edited by Jomei on Fri Jul 20, 2018 6:59 am, edited 1 time in total.

KaijuCanuck
Futurian

Post by KaijuCanuck »

Jomei wrote:
KaijuCanuck wrote:As much as I love this movie and this Godzilla, I don’t love them enough to want this Godzilla to become the ‘standard’ character design or whatever.

On a serious note, this is the current working "standard" design for a majority of the merchandising and promotional stuff Toho has put out, even after two anime Godzilla movies. But the design may never get a feature length treatment again, as the prospects of a sequel are questionable at this point, and the design/iteration doesn't really fit easily into another story. It's a singular take on the character, so it almost rules out reuse in any sense other than a direct continuation. (I say this, but then the almighty yen is a powerful motivator...)
:lol: Funnily enough, I actually experienced your joke in person when I was in Japan - I took my friends on a miserable forced march trying to find the Godzilla statue with google maps, fully expecting to see the old one - and we run into the shin statue instead. Still cool to see, but we were also tired and hungry from sightseeing all day, and it’s that thing of not seeing what you were expecting - I remember just being kind of dazed when we got there. “Eh....?”
Last edited by KaijuCanuck on Fri Jul 20, 2018 7:26 am, edited 3 times in total.

master_of_monsters
EDF Instructor

Post by master_of_monsters »

Jomei wrote:
Jomei wrote:

but that's the thing, I genuinely tried to enjoy this movie and even evangelion
your source of self destruction

eabaker
Administrator
Administrator

Post by eabaker »

Jomei wrote:

Jomei wasn't saying that you should somehow mute your personal tastes and force yourself to like the movie; he was just saying that you should recognize that there is a difference between "I don't like" and "is not good."
Tokyo, a smoldering memorial to the unknown, an unknown which at this very moment still prevails and could at any time lash out with its terrible destruction anywhere else in the world.

Maritonic
Admin | Forum Manager
Admin | Forum Manager

Post by Maritonic »

eabaker wrote:
Jomei wrote:

Jomei wasn't saying that you should somehow mute your personal tastes and force yourself to like the movie; he was just saying that you should recognize that there is a difference between "I don't like" and "is not good."
This is a mentality I've been preaching for Y E A R S. There is a massive difference between the two.
Any issues, please feel free to private message me or e-mail me at MaritonicTK@gmail.com.
Bruno says we're not supposed to hate.
MechaGoji Bro7503 wrote: Tue Jan 31, 2023 3:24 pm Don't go to a friend's wedding, send him 100 copies of Gamera vs Zigra instead. Be a man.

Jomei
Futurian

Post by Jomei »

KaijuCanuck wrote:
Jomei wrote:

:lol: Funnily enough, I actually experienced your joke in person when I was in Japan - I took my friends on a miserable forced march trying to find the Godzilla statue with google maps, fully expecting to see the old one - and we run into the shin statue instead. Still cool to see, but we were also tired and hungry from sightseeing all day, and it’s that thing of not seeing what you were expecting - I remember just being kind of dazed when we got there. “Eh....?”
There's a Toho Cinemas right nearby that houses the old statue. I hope you found it... this information is somewhat less useful, I realize, if you've already left Tokyo. :lol:

KaijuCanuck
Futurian

Post by KaijuCanuck »

Jomei wrote:
KaijuCanuck wrote:
Jomei wrote:

There's a Toho Cinemas right nearby that houses the old statue. I hope you found it... this information is somewhat less useful, I realize, if you've already left Tokyo. :lol:
Oh! Crap. I wish I’d known that. Yeah this was a couple months ago, I’m home now. Ah well, still good to know. Hopefully I’ll make it back one day.

Jomei
Futurian

Post by Jomei »

KaijuCanuck wrote:
Jomei wrote:
KaijuCanuck wrote:
Oh! Crap. I wish I’d known that. Yeah this was a couple months ago, I’m home now. Ah well, still good to know. Hopefully I’ll make it back one day.
Some people whine when I post about my blog, but then again I posted this news in March.
http://jimpluff.tumblr.com/post/1721421 ... -the#notes
http://jimpluff.tumblr.com/post/1722788 ... apan#notes

I'm somewhat annoyed they put the new one up after I moved out of the country. Oh well! Like you said, next time.
Last edited by Jomei on Fri Jul 20, 2018 1:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.

ShinSludge71
Samurai

Post by ShinSludge71 »

While I did enjoy Shin Gojira when it did come out to American theatres in October of 2016, I did have a few nags about plot-wise and decision-wise. Considering this is the most "technical" Godzilla film to date, there are more than likely a lot of problems that some people may see in the film.
Spoiler:
First of all, Godzilla's introduction was more than less stellar. He basically did come from the sea, but the music for the introduction was just . . . exaggerated. You'd think it would perceive something more serious would be going on than that simple landing scene. It wasn't that good of a placement really. Kamata-kun them self was unique, yes; but how could he have been to able to move that fast, and wouldn't he have bled when he arrived into the bay? Thats really confusing to me.

Shingawa-kun had a very unique appearance, and introduced us to Big Shin's ability to evolve spontaneously, but whats with the roar? That roar I think should fit more to Big Shin more than his previous "form." not only that, but the "overheating" hindrance was really dumb, would he have already expelled that energy by coming onto land? Considering hes in middle of the city, there should be no Radioactivity at all. In fact, he should've became hungry from evolving that fast.

Then comes my biggest problem, the Darkest hour of the film. When did Big Shin's beam become so streamlined? In a straight line, it could destroy things around it, but it's radius shouldn't be that far, and destructive. I get why it burned up the city in an instant, due to it's temperature and sheer power, but wouldn't it have been extinguished when it reached farther away, and possibly start drooping thanks to gravity? Not only that, but thanks to plot, the former Prime Minister died just by getting hit by the beam at the right time; thats one of the first things I noticed when I first watched the scene.
If I made any errors, then I apologize, its been a while since I've watched Shin Godzilla, and I really need to watch it again to set everything straight in my mind again before I watch it again; a lot of complex details and ideas were in it, and that's also a problem.
Last edited by ShinSludge71 on Sat Jul 21, 2018 5:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ILL GREEN wrote:There's money to be made with a Hedorah bong.

Mechagigan
Futurian

Post by Mechagigan »

I think some complaints that can be made about Shin more or less add to it's semi-realistic style. I think the jumps in logic and realism mostly helped to communicate that Godzilla is completely otherworldly - maybe it's a personal taste thing, but I also thought the sometimes odd placement or timing of music added to that atmosphere.

I think the worst I can say is that there are some parts of the film that are a bit slow in retrospect, but they serve their purpose.

tbeasley
EDF Instructor

Post by tbeasley »

Not negative exactly but I think they could have streamlined and combined Forms 1 and 2, I remember some people were confused when Form 4 was announced thinking they missed something.

Also it would've been nice if the transition from Form 2 to 3 had a more pained, biological look to it - releasing steam (rather than the blood-like fluid from the gills) and heating up with swollen muscles expanding under thinning skin rather than the odd shimmering and blowing up like a balloon effect used in the movie. I wonder if that was a creative or technical decision.

GojiDude95
Interpol Agent

Post by GojiDude95 »

I got kinda annoyed when I found out that the Godzilla statue would be replace by shin. Why? Didn't they cancel the shin series?
I think they should've used ShodaiGoji. I mean he's the stable of this franchise so why not?

Zarm
E.S.P.Spy

Post by Zarm »

I suspect the Shin series wasn't canceled so much as never intended to be more than a one-off in the first place. Honestly, I think it works best that way.

But they replaced it due to 'capitalize on big moneymaker,' which is the reason most companies do anything. It annoyed me, too- but it does make sense, from a business perspective.
KaijuCanuck wrote:It’s part of my secret plan to create a fifth column in the US, pre-emoting our glorious conquest and the creation of the Canadian Empire, upon which the sun will consistently set after less than eight hours of daylight. :ninja:
The grace of God is a greater gift than we can truly fathom; undeserved mercy is a kindness humbling in its sheer scope.

The Zone Fighter campaign is complete, with all episodes subtitled! PM me if you need a link location.

Maranatha!

Maritonic
Admin | Forum Manager
Admin | Forum Manager

Post by Maritonic »

As much as I truly adore Shin, and am craving a sequel, I do agree with Zarm that it works better as a stand alone film. I don't really know how a sequel could progress forward without tampering what the first one executed so well.
Any issues, please feel free to private message me or e-mail me at MaritonicTK@gmail.com.
Bruno says we're not supposed to hate.
MechaGoji Bro7503 wrote: Tue Jan 31, 2023 3:24 pm Don't go to a friend's wedding, send him 100 copies of Gamera vs Zigra instead. Be a man.