The future of Godzilla anime

For the discussion of Shin Godzilla, the Godzilla anime trilogy and Toho produced and distributed films after 2015. Includes US movies financed by Toho like Detective Pikachu.
User avatar
PitchBlackProgress
G-Force Lieutenant
Posts: 2189
Joined: Wed Sep 06, 2017 12:15 pm

Re: The future of Godzilla anime

Postby PitchBlackProgress » Wed Jun 20, 2018 9:17 pm

If we get a Shin sequel, it should be done as an anime by Anno.
Yeah, Godzilla wins... sometimes. I mean, he was killed by Dr. Serizawa's patented bubble-bath formula, heartburn, missiles, and poor box office returns, got his ass kicked by a drunken, circus-escaped gorilla, then he was beaten by two newborn worms, yeah some “king”.
#slatternking

User avatar
jackzilla
Interpol Agent
Posts: 582
Joined: Tue May 28, 2013 11:23 am
Contact:

Re: The future of Godzilla anime

Postby jackzilla » Sun Jul 08, 2018 1:06 am

PitchBlackProgress wrote:If we get a Shin sequel, it should be done as an anime by Anno.


I could not disagree more.
LONG LIVE THE KING

User avatar
Godzillian
Kwaidan
Posts: 5787
Joined: Fri Jul 05, 2013 9:36 pm

Re: The future of Godzilla anime

Postby Godzillian » Sun Jul 08, 2018 7:31 am

Japan couldn learn a thing or two from Godzilla The Series when it comes to animated kaiju
Image

User avatar
Titanoterror98
Interpol Agent
Posts: 497
Joined: Mon Jun 04, 2018 8:59 am
Location: A hole somewhere in Canada

Re: The future of Godzilla anime

Postby Titanoterror98 » Mon Sep 10, 2018 3:06 pm



That's does it. Studio Trigger does the next series or GTHO.

(Godzillian may be on to something, though...)
"Kaiju are underrated." - Me
"Trust God from the bottom of your heart; don't try to figure out everything on your own." - Proverbs 3:5
"The only lemon content that should be on the internet is Lemon Demon music." - The Dapper Critter(A.K.A. Also me)

User avatar
Dawsbfiremind
G-Force Lieutenant
Posts: 2958
Joined: Mon Jan 02, 2017 7:59 pm
Location: My writing desk

Re: The future of Godzilla anime

Postby Dawsbfiremind » Fri Sep 14, 2018 7:25 am

Only thing I can say: I hope they make an animated Godzilla film that makes it into the top 5 of Annecy. It has the potential, and we all know it.
goji89 wrote:
Dawsbfiremind wrote:People have asked me how I can want to be a writer

With skills like this......I wonder too.

MechaGoji Bro7503 wrote:Holy mother of Bagan we actually are stuck in limbo.

TK drinking game official rules.
viewtopic.php?f=14&t=26072&start=2080#p1564587

User avatar
LSD Jellyfish
Kwaidan
Posts: 5800
Joined: Fri Jan 23, 2015 11:57 pm
Location: 富士山

Re: The future of Godzilla anime

Postby LSD Jellyfish » Tue Sep 18, 2018 6:26 pm

Godzillian wrote:Japan couldn learn a thing or two from Godzilla The Series when it comes to animated kaiju

Yeah boiling down a series to the most generic monster of the week format with cliche characters sounds like an amazing idea!

I actually hope that if there was a Shin sequel it would be live action again. They did something remarkably human with shin and I feel like an anime would remove that.

I think if the Godzilla Anime series sells enough mercy and box office then they’ll probably do an anime series.
_JNavs_ wrote:The MV is like cheap imitation crabmeat, it tastes good, but it isn't real, while Shin is kino peak Japanese performance.

Rodan95 wrote:The Shobijin are sat on by a fatass explorer and killed. Mothra is pissed and destroys Japan.

User avatar
UltramanGoji
Seatopian Daikaiju
Posts: 13760
Joined: Fri Dec 31, 2010 11:40 am
Location: Western New York
Contact:

Re: The future of Godzilla anime

Postby UltramanGoji » Tue Sep 18, 2018 6:32 pm

LSD Jellyfish wrote:
Godzillian wrote:Japan couldn learn a thing or two from Godzilla The Series when it comes to animated kaiju

Yeah boiling down a series to the most generic monster of the week format with cliche characters sounds like an amazing idea!


I mean, it's not like the anime films are doing any better.
Image

User avatar
PitchBlackProgress
G-Force Lieutenant
Posts: 2189
Joined: Wed Sep 06, 2017 12:15 pm

Re: The future of Godzilla anime

Postby PitchBlackProgress » Tue Sep 18, 2018 6:39 pm

Everyone knows if Toho wants success, they should learn a thing or two from the true American Godzilla series- Hanna-Barbera Godzilla.
Last edited by PitchBlackProgress on Tue Sep 18, 2018 6:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Yeah, Godzilla wins... sometimes. I mean, he was killed by Dr. Serizawa's patented bubble-bath formula, heartburn, missiles, and poor box office returns, got his ass kicked by a drunken, circus-escaped gorilla, then he was beaten by two newborn worms, yeah some “king”.
#slatternking

User avatar
LSD Jellyfish
Kwaidan
Posts: 5800
Joined: Fri Jan 23, 2015 11:57 pm
Location: 富士山

Re: The future of Godzilla anime

Postby LSD Jellyfish » Tue Sep 18, 2018 7:00 pm

UltramanGoji wrote:
LSD Jellyfish wrote:
Godzillian wrote:Japan couldn learn a thing or two from Godzilla The Series when it comes to animated kaiju

Yeah boiling down a series to the most generic monster of the week format with cliche characters sounds like an amazing idea!


I mean, it's not like the anime films are doing any better.

While the first film is basically expository, and the second film is a bit disappointing in the monster regard, a lot of people do really like the second one (myself being part of the crowd) and the third one looks really promising. They’ve ditched a monster of the week plot with good. Character writing.
_JNavs_ wrote:The MV is like cheap imitation crabmeat, it tastes good, but it isn't real, while Shin is kino peak Japanese performance.

Rodan95 wrote:The Shobijin are sat on by a fatass explorer and killed. Mothra is pissed and destroys Japan.

User avatar
UltramanGoji
Seatopian Daikaiju
Posts: 13760
Joined: Fri Dec 31, 2010 11:40 am
Location: Western New York
Contact:

Re: The future of Godzilla anime

Postby UltramanGoji » Tue Sep 18, 2018 7:10 pm

I wasn't referring to the monster-of-the-week part with my comment. :P

I think the anime characters have been stock as hell and very hard to find compelling or interesting. Even in the second one, I don't really find any of the supposed "growth" of characters like Haruo good and the death of Yuko (literally had to look her name up, lol) didn't move me in any way as she was a very bland character that didn't do much in either film.
Image

User avatar
Chrispy_G
Interpol Agent
Posts: 544
Joined: Mon May 23, 2016 11:02 pm

Re: The future of Godzilla anime

Postby Chrispy_G » Tue Sep 18, 2018 10:29 pm

My initial hope for any Godzilla anime was things like

2D animation
-Go far into the sci-fi realm because that's the kind of thing you can't really pull off visually on a Japanese Budget/production schedule
-Give Godzilla a LOT of screen-time for the same reason....it doesn't 'cost' more money in 2D animation to see Godzilla a lot....it is just a matter of time to animate the damn thing.
-Preferably lean heavy into the super tech and mecha side of things. A Godzilla anime with Masers, the Gotengo, the Super X, the Garuda, Mecha G, maybe Moguera, D23 missiles, a reimagined Oxygen Destroyer, maybe another Absolute Zero canon or Dimension Tide......just something super sci-fi, far into the future, that just goes bonkers on wrapping all of the coolest sci-fi stuff from throughout the series into one.......that's kinda what I was rooting for with the anime trilogy.
GODZILLA
King of the Monsters

User avatar
GojiDude95
Interpol Agent
Posts: 483
Joined: Wed Jan 24, 2018 9:36 pm

Re: The future of Godzilla anime

Postby GojiDude95 » Mon Sep 24, 2018 6:44 pm

It also needs better characters. I literally skipped every scene that included that main douche was in because of how generic his character is. I hated him.

User avatar
Titanoterror98
Interpol Agent
Posts: 497
Joined: Mon Jun 04, 2018 8:59 am
Location: A hole somewhere in Canada

Re: The future of Godzilla anime

Postby Titanoterror98 » Mon Oct 01, 2018 6:56 pm

I just need to interrupt this lovely thread for a dumb question: Suppose somebody had some silly ideas for their own anime. Would they post them here or somewhere in the fanfiction forums?
"Kaiju are underrated." - Me
"Trust God from the bottom of your heart; don't try to figure out everything on your own." - Proverbs 3:5
"The only lemon content that should be on the internet is Lemon Demon music." - The Dapper Critter(A.K.A. Also me)

User avatar
PitchBlackProgress
G-Force Lieutenant
Posts: 2189
Joined: Wed Sep 06, 2017 12:15 pm

Re: The future of Godzilla anime

Postby PitchBlackProgress » Wed Oct 03, 2018 3:39 am

Titanoterror98 wrote:I just need to interrupt this lovely thread for a dumb question: Suppose somebody had some silly ideas for their own anime. Would they post them here or somewhere in the fanfiction forums?

Fanfic
Yeah, Godzilla wins... sometimes. I mean, he was killed by Dr. Serizawa's patented bubble-bath formula, heartburn, missiles, and poor box office returns, got his ass kicked by a drunken, circus-escaped gorilla, then he was beaten by two newborn worms, yeah some “king”.
#slatternking

User avatar
Titanoterror98
Interpol Agent
Posts: 497
Joined: Mon Jun 04, 2018 8:59 am
Location: A hole somewhere in Canada

Re: The future of Godzilla anime

Postby Titanoterror98 » Wed Oct 03, 2018 6:30 am

PitchBlackProgress wrote:
Titanoterror98 wrote:I just need to interrupt this lovely thread for a dumb question: Suppose somebody had some silly ideas for their own anime. Would they post them here or somewhere in the fanfiction forums?

Fanfic

Thanks!

Added in 1 month 8 days 4 hours 39 minutes 1 second:
So, here's a crazy idea: what if Masaaki Yuasa got to do a Godzilla anime at some point?

Also, on an unrelated note, what are your thoughts on this Chibi-Godzilla Toho's making?
"Kaiju are underrated." - Me
"Trust God from the bottom of your heart; don't try to figure out everything on your own." - Proverbs 3:5
"The only lemon content that should be on the internet is Lemon Demon music." - The Dapper Critter(A.K.A. Also me)

User avatar
Desghidorah
JXSDF Technician
Posts: 786
Joined: Mon Jul 29, 2013 10:06 am

Re: The future of Godzilla anime

Postby Desghidorah » Sun Nov 11, 2018 1:17 pm

I think one thing to definitely keep in mind is to not just retread over what they already done. Godzilla is a character that can work at a very broad range, but I feel that all the Japanese products of him lately can be boiled down to, "big unstoppable wall that slowly walks forward and shoots beams while having extremely vague motivations."

Interpretation is perfectly fine, I just feel like we need some variety.
Last edited by Desghidorah on Sun Nov 11, 2018 1:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Image

User avatar
Dv-218
G-Force Lieutenant
Posts: 2342
Joined: Fri Aug 17, 2018 4:18 am

Re: The future of Godzilla anime

Postby Dv-218 » Sun Nov 11, 2018 1:26 pm

Desghidorah wrote:I think one thing to definitely keep in mind is to not just retread over what they already done. Godzilla is a character that can work at a very broad range, but I feel that all the Japanese products of him lately can be boiled down to, "big unstoppable wall that slowly walks forward and shoots beams while having extremely vague motivations."

Interpretation is perfectly fine, I just feel like we need some variety.


100% this. I don't have a problem with the more vague portrayal in Shin Godzilla where his motivations are alien and unclear, and his actions cannot be explained properly, but this portrayel has gotten incredibly bland and stale in the anime trilogy, to the point where he barely feels like an actual character and more like an inanimate obstacle the main characters have to overcome.

If there will be more attempts at a Godzilla anime in the future, I would love to see a Godzilla that's more..."alive", so to speak.
Last edited by Dv-218 on Sun Nov 11, 2018 1:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
Titanoterror98
Interpol Agent
Posts: 497
Joined: Mon Jun 04, 2018 8:59 am
Location: A hole somewhere in Canada

Re: The future of Godzilla anime

Postby Titanoterror98 » Sun Nov 11, 2018 2:51 pm

Dv-218 wrote:
Desghidorah wrote:I think one thing to definitely keep in mind is to not just retread over what they already done. Godzilla is a character that can work at a very broad range, but I feel that all the Japanese products of him lately can be boiled down to, "big unstoppable wall that slowly walks forward and shoots beams while having extremely vague motivations."

Interpretation is perfectly fine, I just feel like we need some variety.


100% this. I don't have a problem with the more vague portrayal in Shin Godzilla where his motivations are alien and unclear, and his actions cannot be explained properly, but this portrayel has gotten incredibly bland and stale in the anime trilogy, to the point where he barely feels like an actual character and more like an inanimate obstacle the main characters have to overcome.

If there will be more attempts at a Godzilla anime in the future, I would love to see a Godzilla that's more..."alive", so to speak.


Make that a 110% this!

I think that has to be the most important thing any future animation projects should remember. The ability to explore a character solely through their appearance and body language is one of the greatest strengths of animation. So seeing this ability squandard on Godzilla Earth (and Filius) is just such a waste, especially with such an inspired design. Not even close up shots of his eyes do anything to contribute to his character outside of "Big Scary Plot Device oooOOOooo." I agree with Desghidorah about Shin-Godzilla because it was designed to be terrifying monstrosity evoking the terror of nuclear disaster--I don't expect him to mugging at the camera or doing his Trademark Happy Dance. The designers of G-Earth said he was supposed to evoke wisdom, but all I get from seeing him in action is just a general feeling of menace and... largeness, I guess.
"Kaiju are underrated." - Me
"Trust God from the bottom of your heart; don't try to figure out everything on your own." - Proverbs 3:5
"The only lemon content that should be on the internet is Lemon Demon music." - The Dapper Critter(A.K.A. Also me)

User avatar
Desghidorah
JXSDF Technician
Posts: 786
Joined: Mon Jul 29, 2013 10:06 am

Re: The future of Godzilla anime

Postby Desghidorah » Sun Nov 11, 2018 9:48 pm

Titanoterror98 wrote:
Dv-218 wrote:
Desghidorah wrote:I think one thing to definitely keep in mind is to not just retread over what they already done. Godzilla is a character that can work at a very broad range, but I feel that all the Japanese products of him lately can be boiled down to, "big unstoppable wall that slowly walks forward and shoots beams while having extremely vague motivations."

Interpretation is perfectly fine, I just feel like we need some variety.


100% this. I don't have a problem with the more vague portrayal in Shin Godzilla where his motivations are alien and unclear, and his actions cannot be explained properly, but this portrayel has gotten incredibly bland and stale in the anime trilogy, to the point where he barely feels like an actual character and more like an inanimate obstacle the main characters have to overcome.

If there will be more attempts at a Godzilla anime in the future, I would love to see a Godzilla that's more..."alive", so to speak.


Make that a 110% this!

I think that has to be the most important thing any future animation projects should remember. The ability to explore a character solely through their appearance and body language is one of the greatest strengths of animation. So seeing this ability squandard on Godzilla Earth (and Filius) is just such a waste, especially with such an inspired design. Not even close up shots of his eyes do anything to contribute to his character outside of "Big Scary Plot Device oooOOOooo." I agree with Desghidorah about Shin-Godzilla because it was designed to be terrifying monstrosity evoking the terror of nuclear disaster--I don't expect him to mugging at the camera or doing his Trademark Happy Dance. The designers of G-Earth said he was supposed to evoke wisdom, but all I get from seeing him in action is just a general feeling of menace and... largeness, I guess.


Gotta agree. Shin Godzilla (the movie) was more of a political thriller/drama film in a pretty realistic setting with Shin Godzilla (the kaiju) being more a catalyst to the events around him than the core of the movie. So for that, even if I myself would have liked him to have been more active, it works just fine.

But these anime films seem to want to focus on Godzilla more and in an animated format they are not as restricted by limitations of live-action films like more detailed CGI needing to match the scenery or safety for the suitmation actors.
Image

User avatar
Titanoterror98
Interpol Agent
Posts: 497
Joined: Mon Jun 04, 2018 8:59 am
Location: A hole somewhere in Canada

Re: The future of Godzilla anime

Postby Titanoterror98 » Sun Dec 16, 2018 3:49 pm

Desghidorah wrote:
Titanoterror98 wrote:
Dv-218 wrote:
100% this. I don't have a problem with the more vague portrayal in Shin Godzilla where his motivations are alien and unclear, and his actions cannot be explained properly, but this portrayel has gotten incredibly bland and stale in the anime trilogy, to the point where he barely feels like an actual character and more like an inanimate obstacle the main characters have to overcome.

If there will be more attempts at a Godzilla anime in the future, I would love to see a Godzilla that's more..."alive", so to speak.


Make that a 110% this!

I think that has to be the most important thing any future animation projects should remember. The ability to explore a character solely through their appearance and body language is one of the greatest strengths of animation. So seeing this ability squandard on Godzilla Earth (and Filius) is just such a waste, especially with such an inspired design. Not even close up shots of his eyes do anything to contribute to his character outside of "Big Scary Plot Device oooOOOooo." I agree with Desghidorah about Shin-Godzilla because it was designed to be terrifying monstrosity evoking the terror of nuclear disaster--I don't expect him to mugging at the camera or doing his Trademark Happy Dance. The designers of G-Earth said he was supposed to evoke wisdom, but all I get from seeing him in action is just a general feeling of menace and... largeness, I guess.


Gotta agree. Shin Godzilla (the movie) was more of a political thriller/drama film in a pretty realistic setting with Shin Godzilla (the kaiju) being more a catalyst to the events around him than the core of the movie. So for that, even if I myself would have liked him to have been more active, it works just fine.

But these anime films seem to want to focus on Godzilla more and in an animated format they are not as restricted by limitations of live-action films like more detailed CGI needing to match the scenery or safety for the suitmation actors.


Again, I couldn't agree more! (Sorry I took so long to reply; I was just thinking about how to responsd and then I got sidetracked by, well, life.)

I'm probably not the first person to point this out, but I think that Legendary's Monsterverse films are an excellent example of how good animation and a well-written Godzilla can go together. I think that's why, when we suggest people like Ghibli and Miyazaki, Trigger, or even Yuasa for future movies, we're drawn to them: they know how to use animation to create characters and sights that can look fantastical and wild but that also convey their emotions and personalities clearly--which again, is something I never felt in these movies.

Anyhoo, now that the trilogy is finally over, where do you think they could from here? In what ways could Toho use animation and Godzilla differently?
"Kaiju are underrated." - Me
"Trust God from the bottom of your heart; don't try to figure out everything on your own." - Proverbs 3:5
"The only lemon content that should be on the internet is Lemon Demon music." - The Dapper Critter(A.K.A. Also me)


Return to “Reiwa Era (2015-Present)”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest