Toho to go back to one Godzilal film a year after Godzilla vs Kong

For the discussion of Shin Godzilla, Godzilla -1.0, the anime trilogy, Godzilla Singular Point and Toho produced and distributed films after 2015. Includes US movies financed by Toho like Detective Pikachu.
eabaker
Administrator
Administrator

Re: Toho to go back to one Godzilal film a year after Godzilla vs Kong

Post by eabaker »

Dawsbfiremind wrote:
ROMG4 wrote: But yeah, I do agree. If they go back to one film a year the films are going to seriously suffer in quality. Not just in the SFX but in Story-Telling and general all around quality
That's never bothered us before.

As long as they screen them here, I'm down with this.
I mean, clearly it hasn't caused anybody posting here to stop watching the movies (I did know one guy who swore off the series in the mid-90s, but that was because he thought the movies were "getting to anti-American), but by and large I think we all prefer that the movies be as good as they can be.
Tokyo, a smoldering memorial to the unknown, an unknown which at this very moment still prevails and could at any time lash out with its terrible destruction anywhere else in the world.

Jomei
Futurian

Post by Jomei »

The original tweet, which we should note is a paraphrase of details from an interview, not actual quotes or a source, says they'd aim for a pace of about a film every one to two years.
XxHeiseifanxX wrote:Can we lower age limit! There are TOO MANY HEISEI HATERS!!!
Thatguy4683 wrote: Mon Mar 11, 2024 4:04 pmWhat? Is this a joke? What gonna on here?
♡ Can't Bin the Shin! Can't Bin the Shin! Can't Bin the Shin! Can't Bin the Shin! Can't Bin the Shin!♡
Challenge me to a Pokémon battle

Chrispy_G
Gotengo Officer

Post by Chrispy_G »

I hope it isn't 90s or 00s style...one was just rapid succession of sequels that felt aesthetically repetitive and unimaginative. The other was a sequence of rapid fire reboots that just felt aimless.

But there is a way to maintain 1 film a year while having credibility...which is if you are sort of alternating in some way.

I mean, if we get a US production one year, then a Shin Godzilla sequel the next, then a new anime film after that....that's rotating between the style/series we are getting....and so it isn't just 'another sequel/reboot in a line of sequel/reboots'

I just really hope they maintain high production value and creative integrity. Every time the series goes 'assembly line' it always falters.
"I'm saying a prayer, George. A prayer for the whole world."

miguelnuva
Justiriser

Post by miguelnuva »

If they end the monsterverse now there will likely never be a American Godzilla series for a long time so they better think about it if they don't re new the rights.
Mothra vs Godzilla> Gojira

Shadow Area 1-0
Image Image

kingkevzilla88
Gotengo Officer

Post by kingkevzilla88 »

If Toho does go through with this, here are some things I would like to see:
  • A Jet Jaguar solo film.
    An adaption of Half-century War, preferably animated in Stoko's art style.
    A remake of Matango.
    A film set in Europe, like Greece and have Godzilla fight monsters like the Cyclops, Hydra and the Minotaur.
    A film set in the 60s, that could be fun.
    maybe make some of the unmade films, like Frankenstein vs. Godzilla.
    A proper 3D movie, imagine how cool it would look having Godzilla fire his atomic breath right at the camera.

Zarm
E.S.P.Spy

Post by Zarm »

kingkevzilla88 wrote:If Toho does go through with this, here are some things I would like to see:
  • A Jet Jaguar solo film.
Oh, man. That would be SO great...! :D
kingkevzilla88 wrote:
  • A film set in Europe, like Greece and have Godzilla fight monsters like the Cyclops, Hydra and the Minotaur.
I really like this idea, too!
KaijuCanuck wrote:It’s part of my secret plan to create a fifth column in the US, pre-emoting our glorious conquest and the creation of the Canadian Empire, upon which the sun will consistently set after less than eight hours of daylight. :ninja:
The grace of God is a greater gift than we can truly fathom; undeserved mercy is a kindness humbling in its sheer scope.

The Zone Fighter campaign is complete, with all episodes subtitled! PM me if you need a link location.

Maranatha!

Cookson
Futurian

Post by Cookson »

Toho is definitely doing things out of the box, so I'd expect some neat ideas to come from this.
"We knew the world would not be the same. Few people laughed, few people cried, most people were silent."~Robert Oppenheimer

KillCrites
Interpol Agent

Post by KillCrites »

kingkevzilla88 wrote:
  • A remake of Matango.
I really wanna see a modern adaptation of Matango, someone could take that concept and make it genuinely scary. Especially with today's technology.
why did i have to be the chosen one?

Jatahaxe
Interpol Agent

Post by Jatahaxe »

I can understand some people's skepticism that this could turn out well, but unlike the Millennium series, they've got time to plan things out from now until then. As much as the series has suffered in the past using that model, it can be done right. The MCU has two movies a year going, and most people agree they're easily digestible popcorn flicks at the worst.
Monsters are the real people.

KaijuCanuck
Futurian

Post by KaijuCanuck »

Jatahaxe wrote:I can understand some people's skepticism that this could turn out well, but unlike the Millennium series, they've got time to plan things out from now until then. As much as the series has suffered in the past using that model, it can be done right. The MCU has two movies a year going, and most people agree they're easily digestible popcorn flicks at the worst.
But outside of a few key people, those mcu films all have entirely different production teams. Several movies are released every year, but each of them had two or more years to get ready. Toho has never done that before, they’ve always only had one team working on the goji films, and so not a lot of time is available for them to be worked on to get one out a year.

Loganrules115
Interpol Agent

Post by Loganrules115 »

This is the perfect opportunity for a standalone Jet Jaguar film.
Planet X did nothing wrong. :xilien:

The Baranosdragon
GPN Volunteer

Post by The Baranosdragon »

Huh... this could make for some interesting movies, but I would be lying if I said I wasn't a little bit skeptical of the quality. Hopefully they're good, but I'm going to remain cautious about them for the time being.
January 1st, 1929 - August 8th, 2017. May Haruo Nakajima Rest in Peace.

miguelnuva
Justiriser

Post by miguelnuva »

What Millennium series films were bad other than megagurius and final wars.

2 bad out of 6 total films wasn't that bad.
Mothra vs Godzilla> Gojira

Shadow Area 1-0
Image Image

Tohosaurus
E.S.P.Spy

Post by Tohosaurus »

miguelnuva wrote:What Millennium series films were bad other than megagurius and final wars.

2 bad out of 6 total films wasn't that bad.
From what I've seen on TK over time, I think GMK is about the only movie that the whole (TK) fandom loves. The rest are either mediocre or less than that.
고질라

한국, 일본: 친교

Be kind, for everyone you meet is fighting a hard battle. -Ian Maclaren

darthzilla99
JXSDF Technician

Post by darthzilla99 »

Jomei wrote:The original tweet, which we should note is a paraphrase of details from an interview, not actual quotes or a source, says they'd aim for a pace of about a film every one to two years.
This is important. We also don't know if some of this is due to mistranslated communication as well.

Also, I find highly unlikely Toho will just not allow more monsterverse movies after Godzilla vs Kong. Now more than likely if negotiations take place for
rights renewal, Toho will stipulate that they can make live action Godzilla and other kaiju movies even while monsterverse movies are made. And to minimize cross competition, just have Toho's movies come out in the opposite end of the year that the corresponding monsterverse film comes out. Also, as far as oversaturation fears, that will only happen in Japan and maybe a few Asian countries at best. Toho made films will at best be limited US releases like Shin. Plus I'm pretty sure the average Japanese citizen knows the difference between the Toho made films and the American made films.
GVK: TNE is a modern day 70s Showa Godzilla movie. Being a massive budget modern blockbuster CGI film instead of traditional 70s tokusatsu techniques doesn't change that.

Monsterverse is not similar to either MCU nor Bayformers just because all three are big budget CGI blockbuster franchises.

ToxicLove
Interpol Agent

Post by ToxicLove »

Inferno Rodan wrote:
LSD Jellyfish wrote:The amount of self loathing in this fandom that exists never ceases to amaze me. After such a long period of no movies and constant desperation for Toho to do anything, or begging some sort of nod that the franchise wasn’t dead. Now the franchise is back in full swing and people are complaining.
I was entirely content back in 2014 when it seemed like Toho was just going to sit back and let Legendary handle the franchise for the foreseeable future, thank you very much.
Considering the poor to average job so far, wouldn't say you have much to go on there.

PitchBlackProgress
EDF Instructor

Post by PitchBlackProgress »

Was the term "spinoffs" actually used? It'd be cool to see a spinoff about Shin's form 5, or another classic monster steming from Shin's body... like Ghidorah. :freak:
Yeah, Godzilla wins... sometimes. I mean, he was killed by Dr. Serizawa's patented bubble-bath formula, heartburn, missiles, and poor box office returns, got his ass kicked by a drunken, circus-escaped gorilla, then he was beaten by two newborn worms, yeah some “king”.
#slatternking

Inferno Rodan
Futurian

Post by Inferno Rodan »

ToxicLove wrote:Considering the poor to average job so far, wouldn't say you have much to go on there.
Considering I enjoy G'14 and KSI more than anything Toho has put out since the 90s, I'd say I would.

Even ignoring the personal enjoyment aspect and taking a more objective stance, I'd much rather have poor to average movies that look good than poor to average movies that also look bad.
"The rantings of an upjumped zealot make for tedious listening." - Grigori, Dragon's Dogma

ToxicLove
Interpol Agent

Post by ToxicLove »

Inferno Rodan wrote:
ToxicLove wrote:Considering the poor to average job so far, wouldn't say you have much to go on there.
Considering I enjoy G'14 and KSI more than anything Toho has put out since the 90s, I'd say I would.

Even ignoring the personal enjoyment aspect and taking a more objective stance, I'd much rather have poor to average movies that look good than poor to average movies that also look bad.
It says a lot about taste and choice however. Considering neither G14 or K:SI looked good (poor lighting and questionable effects/cinematography).

Zarm
E.S.P.Spy

Post by Zarm »

ToxicLove wrote:
Inferno Rodan wrote:

It says a lot about taste and choice however. Considering neither G14 or K:SI looked good (poor lighting and questionable effects/cinematography).
I actually liked the cinematography and lighting of G14 a great deal. What issues do you have with it?
KaijuCanuck wrote:It’s part of my secret plan to create a fifth column in the US, pre-emoting our glorious conquest and the creation of the Canadian Empire, upon which the sun will consistently set after less than eight hours of daylight. :ninja:
The grace of God is a greater gift than we can truly fathom; undeserved mercy is a kindness humbling in its sheer scope.

The Zone Fighter campaign is complete, with all episodes subtitled! PM me if you need a link location.

Maranatha!