Toho to go back to one Godzilal film a year after Godzilla vs Kong

For the discussion of Shin Godzilla, Godzilla -1.0, the anime trilogy, Godzilla Singular Point and Toho produced and distributed films after 2015. Includes US movies financed by Toho like Detective Pikachu.
Godzillian
Xilien Halfling

Toho to go back to one Godzilal film a year after Godzilla vs Kong

Post by Godzillian »

So in a new interview it was revealed Toho is thinking of making the following two moves after Godzilla vs Kong
-Producing one Godzilla film a year
-Spin offs of other kaijus such as Mothra or King Ghidorah
Here is the translation of the tweet
Nikkei Entertainment!
The latest issue (April issue), Godicon was responding to the interview, according to this, Toho will continue to publish Godzilla's new work at a pace of one-year, if possible, in the year after "Godzilla vs. Kong" in 2020. I believe that word!
https://twitter.com/nakazawatakeshi/sta ... 7556368384

What do you guys think of this?

GigaBowserG
Vice President
Vice President

Re: Toho to go back to one Godzilal film a year after Godzilla vs Kong

Post by GigaBowserG »

On one hand, it's exciting - having a Godzilla/monster movie once a year, it just gives you something to look forward to! But on the other, I sincerely feel like the quality of the movies will be far below average. Even one~two year gaps between releases I'd prefer.
Mecha M wrote:[after seeing Shin Godzilla's design] Looks like partially cooked carne asada
/crawls back under rock

KaijuCanuck
Futurian

Post by KaijuCanuck »

GigaBowserG wrote:On one hand, it's exciting - having a Godzilla/monster movie once a year, it just gives you something to look forward to! But on the other, I sincerely feel like the quality of the movies will be far below average. Even one~two year gaps between releases I'd prefer.
Yeah. I almost replied that this is awesome, but I want to see the quality. It would be sad to see the brand get cheapened the way that Star Wars is right now.

Godzillian
Xilien Halfling

Post by Godzillian »

2-3 gaps would be great, quality over quantity Toho! Don't forget what happened with the millenium films
Last edited by Godzillian on Tue Mar 06, 2018 4:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.

KaijuCanuck
Futurian

Post by KaijuCanuck »

Still, constant Godzilla is better than no Godzilla (hope I don't live to regret those words). I would love to see another continuous series of narratively connected films.

eabaker
Administrator
Administrator

Post by eabaker »

I was really hoping that they'd give each movie two to three years from here on in, and have different creative teams working on each, not beholden to any kind of continuity. Just a fresh take on the concept every few years.
Tokyo, a smoldering memorial to the unknown, an unknown which at this very moment still prevails and could at any time lash out with its terrible destruction anywhere else in the world.

Ivo-goji
EDF Instructor

Post by Ivo-goji »

Godzillian wrote: -Spin offs of other kaijus such as Mothra
EXCELLENT.
Resized Image
Kaiju-King42 wrote: Welcome to Toho Kingdom, where every conceivable opinion, no matter how outlandish or unpopular, is a possibility among the population.

UltramanGoji

Post by UltramanGoji »

Exciting news, but like others, I'm worried about the quality of these films with their small development cycles.

Hopefully, Toho learns from the mistakes of the Heisei and Millenium series and gives each film its own team to work on it.

Godzillian
Xilien Halfling

Post by Godzillian »

There is only one choice Toho can make in their new cycle of films. They must finally create a
Spoiler:
Bagan film

MechaGoji Bro7503
Administrator
Administrator

Post by MechaGoji Bro7503 »

This is good, and bad. I want Shin level quality over quantity. Still, spin-off films are great!

At least the franchise has a bright future.
"Bang on, mate.", - Murdoc Niccals 2018.

"Right, wrong... Nobody's got a clue what the difference is in this town. So I'm gonna have more fun... and live crazier than any of 'em." - Goro Majima.

Our G-Force a Kaiju Podcast: https://podcasts.apple.com/us/podcast/g ... 1509725595

For unique discussions on Ultraman, Godzilla, and much more check out my channel Tiger Drop Films: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCng0uL ... VCg/videos

GigaBowserG
Vice President
Vice President

Post by GigaBowserG »

Now that I think about it, this reminds me of how Masaaki Tezuka mentioned at a talk show event how he sent in some sort of script for a post-Tokyo S.O.S. Kiryu movie, and how Kazuki Omori expressed interest in a Biollante solo movie if given Toho's blessings. Would be a prime time for those two, I think.
Mecha M wrote:[after seeing Shin Godzilla's design] Looks like partially cooked carne asada
/crawls back under rock

cloverfan98
Site Staff
Site Staff

Post by cloverfan98 »

Godzillian wrote:2-3 gaps would be great, quality over quantity Toho! Don't forget what happened with the millenium films
My thoughts exactly. I'd rather they experiment like they have with Shin and POTM. I wonder if this has any bearing on future Legendary Godzilla films post GVK.

KaijuCanuck
Futurian

Post by KaijuCanuck »

cloverfan98 wrote:
Godzillian wrote:2-3 gaps would be great, quality over quantity Toho! Don't forget what happened with the millenium films
My thoughts exactly. I'd rather they experiment like they have with Shin and POTM. I wonder if this has any bearing on future Legendary Godzilla films post GVK.
Good point. I wouldn't put it past Toho to let Legendary get the ball rolling pretty fast, then pull the plug and decide they're going to try and take that space. I don't think it's an accident that G2K was able to be in Western theatres only two years after a big budget Hollywood adaption. Of Shin, for that matter.
Last edited by KaijuCanuck on Tue Mar 06, 2018 8:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Cookson
Futurian

Post by Cookson »

Remember, Toho is trying to co produce their popular franchises with foreign territories. I wouldn't be surprised if these were co produced with a Chinese company so they can get in on that sweet china box office, and possibly expand further than the usual Asian markets when they make a self Japan film.

I think Toho realizes there's money to be made with the character... But they need to go beyond the usual methods like the Hesei and Millennium series'.

I'm in for this idea, but let's go for at least every two years.
"We knew the world would not be the same. Few people laughed, few people cried, most people were silent."~Robert Oppenheimer

TheSecondComing
Futurian

Post by TheSecondComing »

At last, it's time for Bagan's moment of glory.

No, they'll try for a few years until the market is flooded again, then Godzilla will disappear all over again.

szmigiel
G-Force Personnel

Post by szmigiel »

If they are doing a movie a year my hope would be that they are still allowing more development time. Having the next movie already finished with preproduction ready to start filming as the current movie is hitting the theaters. Hopefully doing a Godzilla film, followed the next year by a "Spin off Movie" that introduces a new kaiju to the continuity, then the next movie featuring Godzilla again.

Hopefully they have someone in charge that can juggle the multiple projects while planning a over arcing storyline featuring how the world is dealing with the constant emergency of kaiju in the 21st century. Movies can star new actors in lead roles, but it would be nice to see certain actors in reoccurring roles like scientists and military between multi movies.

But knowing Toho tendencies they will just wait till the last movie is out. Then after they see how it went, they will plan more of the same for the next project if it was a success, or pitching more popular kaiju and major changes if it doesn't do as well. Having the next film go from pitch to screen in about 10 months time.

Mr_Goji_and_Watch
EDF Instructor

Post by Mr_Goji_and_Watch »

No thanks. The once a year plan hasn't worked since the 60's. I'd much rather see Legendary keep on producing films for the Monsterverse.
Last edited by Mr_Goji_and_Watch on Wed Mar 07, 2018 4:44 am, edited 1 time in total.
Moogabunga wrote:Ive said it before and I'll gladly say it again, this is going to be the best Godzilla film ever and more importantly, its going to be the film that truly makes Godzilla mainstream (and cool)
SoggyNoodles2016 wrote:I'm glad to be a fake fan.

miguelnuva
Justiriser

Post by miguelnuva »

Mr_Goji_and_Watch wrote:No thanks. The once a year plan hasn't worked since the 60's. I'd much rather see Legendary keep on producing films for the Monsterverse.
The Heisei films were fine for the most part. Toho can do 1 a year if they use teams and alternate. If we get one Godzilla film and then a Mothra film than either Ghidorah or Godzilla that will be a film a year while still giving the Godzilla team 2 years to work.
Mothra vs Godzilla> Gojira

Shadow Area 1-0
Image Image

Mr. Yellow
G-Force Personnel

Post by Mr. Yellow »

Glad to see this....though not sure what it means for the MonsterVerse.

Glad Toho is continuing, but I’ve been really interested in where the MonsterVerse is going.

Either way, Godzilla and his friends are not going away anytime soon and that’s a good thing.
"Monsters are tragic beings. They are born too tall, too strong, too heavy. They are not evil by choice. That is their tragedy. They do not attack people because they want to, but because of their size and strength, mankind has no other choice but to defend himself. After several stories such as this, people end up having a kind of affection for the monsters. They end up caring about them." - Ishiro Honda

Godzillian
Xilien Halfling

Post by Godzillian »

I'd love for some kaiju besides Mothra to get spin offs