Toho to go back to one Godzilal film a year after Godzilla vs Kong

For the discussion of Shin Godzilla, Godzilla -1.0, the anime trilogy, Godzilla Singular Point and Toho produced and distributed films after 2015. Includes US movies financed by Toho like Detective Pikachu.
DaddlerTheDalek
Monarch Researcher

Re: Toho to go back to one Godzilal film a year after Godzilla vs Kong

Post by DaddlerTheDalek »

Tyrant_Lizard_King wrote:I think reposting this here is necessary. Important parts bolded.
GigaBowserG wrote:A new article has appeared, and it lists some very ambitious plans from Toho regarding Godzilla and company: https://headlines.yahoo.co.jp/article?a ... keisty-ent

To summarize some of the points:
  • They reiterate the strategy to produce movies every two years, preferably annually.
  • They want to develop their own "shared universe", where monsters like Godzilla and King Ghidorah can appear in a setting similar to how characters like Iron Man and the Hulk appear together in Marvel movies, which can lead to solo movies for certain monsters.
  • Instead of following the traditional formula of, say, "Shin Godzilla" being followed-up by an obvious "Shin Godzilla 2", they want to create a long-term Godzilla world. For example, if Mothra were to appear in a movie, commercialization would center around her - not just toys, but also games and apparel.
  • Due to Legendary and WB holding marketing rights, it has prevented Toho from producing things such as T-shirts or video games for foreign markets. In the future, such things will be produced in-house. They're hoping to branch out even further with more ambitious projects, such as creating theme parks in places like Los Angeles, or developing more Godzilla heads like the one in Shinjuku and allowing hotels overseas to have their own!
  • Regarding character licensing, after establishing Gojicon, they're setting out in a new direction. Up to that point, Godzilla tie-ins and appearances in media have been handled very strictly. However, they've come to realize that Godzilla's charm lies not just in his strength and intimidating demeanor, but also in his more humorous side, granting him a wider range of use with fewer restrictions, in turn increasing his audience.
  • They want a Godzilla that can appeal to multiple generations, so there is the potential for the creation of books and animation that cater to children.
  • At the 2020 Tokyo Olympic Games, they hope Godzilla will welcome the world as a representative of Japan.
Interesting. I hope they don't rush these movies.
Tails wrote:You're watching a Poster!

tbeasley
EDF Instructor

Post by tbeasley »

GodzillaRangerPrime wrote:Anyway, a “cinematic universe” with 3 Godzilla movies and 1 Kong prequel over the span of 7 years is mehhh.
Cinematic universe, like reboot before it, has become an entertainment buzzword that doesn't really mean anything these days.
Last edited by tbeasley on Mon May 21, 2018 9:32 am, edited 1 time in total.

Gawdziller1954
JXSDF Technician

Post by Gawdziller1954 »

Dman explains the whole Shin 2 situation pretty well
OH NO, IT'S GAWDZILLER!! :D

KingKaiju
Futurian

Post by KingKaiju »

You know what would be cool to see? A MechaGodzilla solo film, that takes place before he interacts with Godzilla. Imagine a movie, that takes place in space, another another planet that gets invaded by the Simians, who use MechaGodzilla to wreck havoc. It’s like a Predator film, with a 300 food cyborg Godzillla, that ends with him fuckin everyone up and then heading towards earth.

Vakanai
EDF Instructor

Post by Vakanai »

KingKaiju wrote:You know what would be cool to see? A MechaGodzilla solo film, that takes place before he interacts with Godzilla. Imagine a movie, that takes place in space, another another planet that gets invaded by the Simians, who use MechaGodzilla to wreck havoc. It’s like a Predator film, with a 300 food cyborg Godzillla, that ends with him skreeonkin everyone up and then heading towards earth.
But why/how would they make a Mechagodzilla before encountering the real one?
I unapologetically, wholeheartedly, and without a doubt hate Godzilla vs Kong.

Cookson
Futurian

Post by Cookson »

Highlight this post: Toho will announce a new film in April of 2019 for a summer 2021 release. The first film in the "Godzilla World Series" Cinematic Universe.
"We knew the world would not be the same. Few people laughed, few people cried, most people were silent."~Robert Oppenheimer

Vakanai
EDF Instructor

Post by Vakanai »

Cookson wrote:Highlight this post: Toho will announce a new film in April of 2019 for a summer 2021 release. The first film in the "Godzilla World Series" Cinematic Universe.
Is Godzilla World Series really what they plan to go with?
I unapologetically, wholeheartedly, and without a doubt hate Godzilla vs Kong.

PitchBlackProgress
EDF Instructor

Post by PitchBlackProgress »

I hope so, Shin was perfect on its own, and any sequels would just dilute the main message. I could see a spinoff, but I feel Godzillas story should be finished, less we truly want a film about form 5, I feel that'd just be GINO fever all over again...
Yeah, Godzilla wins... sometimes. I mean, he was killed by Dr. Serizawa's patented bubble-bath formula, heartburn, missiles, and poor box office returns, got his ass kicked by a drunken, circus-escaped gorilla, then he was beaten by two newborn worms, yeah some “king”.
#slatternking

Cookson
Futurian

Post by Cookson »

Vakanai wrote:
Cookson wrote:Highlight this post: Toho will announce a new film in April of 2019 for a summer 2021 release. The first film in the "Godzilla World Series" Cinematic Universe.
Is Godzilla World Series really what they plan to go with?
I'm assuming that term is coming from translated articles.
"We knew the world would not be the same. Few people laughed, few people cried, most people were silent."~Robert Oppenheimer

KingKaiju
Futurian

Post by KingKaiju »

Vakanai wrote:
KingKaiju wrote:You know what would be cool to see? A MechaGodzilla solo film, that takes place before he interacts with Godzilla. Imagine a movie, that takes place in space, another another planet that gets invaded by the Simians, who use MechaGodzilla to wreck havoc. It’s like a Predator film, with a 300 food cyborg Godzillla, that ends with him skreeonkin everyone up and then heading towards earth.
But why/how would they make a Mechagodzilla before encountering the real one?
They said that MechaGodzilla was constructed afte “careful study of the original Godzilla”. Could be that they have hidden agents on earth studying Godzilla and sending back information.

marcdrac
GPN Volunteer

Post by marcdrac »

If they have to make films for a universe, the most suitable ones would be, besides Godzilla and Mothra are these; Kiryu, Jet Jaguar, Ikusagami and King Caesar.

Kiryu would be a robot designed to protect the earth from kaijus attacks with other Toho robots like Moguera, Yuuhi and Jet Jaguar, imitating a little bit to Pacific Rim with the Jaegers theme, but to Jet Jaguar, the latter has another option in this universe, it could be a guardian of the galaxy Ultraman style but in robot,
King Caesar and Ikusagami as guardians of the earth but with a mystical touch, Ikusagami is totally Ultraman-like, a human who transforms into a giant.

PitchBlackProgress
EDF Instructor

Post by PitchBlackProgress »

Out of all the stock monsters, Jet Jaguar is the only spin-off movie I wanna see.
Yeah, Godzilla wins... sometimes. I mean, he was killed by Dr. Serizawa's patented bubble-bath formula, heartburn, missiles, and poor box office returns, got his ass kicked by a drunken, circus-escaped gorilla, then he was beaten by two newborn worms, yeah some “king”.
#slatternking

G2000
Xilien Halfling

Post by G2000 »

I didn't realize this was happening until today. Part of me is excited, but the other part of me worries that the films will be rushed and that they''ll just be background noise amidst all the other franchises.

Interesting to hear that they're loosening up the restrictions as to character licensing. Does that mean an increased likelihood of crossovers?
gerdzerl wrote:DONT STOP G2000 YOU SEXY BEAST

kamilleblu
G-Grasper

Post by kamilleblu »

Forget the movies. I'm interested in the tie-ins, crossovers, and possible appearance at the 2020 Olympic Games. What's the face of the franchise? How does the modern Godzilla look? I don't expect an older design to be reused.

Cookson
Futurian

Post by Cookson »

The only major crossover I'd like to see is with Gamera. Toho is definitely loosening up and different possibilities could be on the table.

Yeah, there's still some exciting things to come. Unfortunately the anime trilogy, though profitable, pretty much is a miss.
Last edited by Cookson on Thu May 24, 2018 2:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Dyrakro
Interpol Agent

Post by Dyrakro »

As long as we get some more Godzilla movies it doesn't matter to me ... well, each movie should be watchable without getting the feeling of also having to watch every other movie though.

OGMechaMothra
Interpol Agent

Post by OGMechaMothra »

That's very specific.. I hope you have a source to that.

miguelnuva
Justiriser

Post by miguelnuva »

OGMechaMothra wrote:
That's very specific.. I hope you have a source to that.
That's his prediction.
Mothra vs Godzilla> Gojira

Shadow Area 1-0
Image Image