Toho to go back to one Godzilal film a year after Godzilla vs Kong

For the discussion of Shin Godzilla, Godzilla -1.0, the anime trilogy, Godzilla Singular Point and Toho produced and distributed films after 2015. Includes US movies financed by Toho like Detective Pikachu.
Zarm
E.S.P.Spy

Re: Toho to go back to one Godzilal film a year after Godzilla vs Kong

Post by Zarm »

Maritonic wrote:I'm honestly surprised by the negative response to this news. I mean, granted, there are some concerns, but I have to ask do people just not want more Godzilla films?

So, to say Toho is going to be producing new content, sign me the hell up. Yes, there are concerns, and preferences, and I'm sure there will be some missteps along the way, but I'm still genuinely surprised by this fandom at times because who wouldn't want this?
Here, here!
KaijuCanuck wrote:It’s part of my secret plan to create a fifth column in the US, pre-emoting our glorious conquest and the creation of the Canadian Empire, upon which the sun will consistently set after less than eight hours of daylight. :ninja:
The grace of God is a greater gift than we can truly fathom; undeserved mercy is a kindness humbling in its sheer scope.

The Zone Fighter campaign is complete, with all episodes subtitled! PM me if you need a link location.

Maranatha!

Moogabunga
EDF Instructor

Post by Moogabunga »

Maritonic wrote:I'm honestly surprised by the negative response to this news. I mean, granted, there are some concerns, but I have to ask do people just not want more Godzilla films? It seems like the response to Legendary's Godzilla is average at best, and the *AVERAGE* response to Shin is not overwhelming. Maybe I'm a bit naive but I'm just happy to see the franchise have some blood back in it's veins.

I, personally, was VERY let down and unhappy with Monster Planet. But I'd still be the first one to buy the blu-ray, buy a figure, and see the sequel because it's Godzilla. And it's new.

So, to say Toho is going to be producing new content, sign me the hell up. Yes, there are concerns, and preferences, and I'm sure there will be some missteps along the way, but I'm still genuinely surprised by this fandom at times because who wouldn't want this?
There's two reasons I'm not jumping up and down personally:

1) I don't want the Monsterverse to end any time soon (and I'm positive I'm not the only one) With the complete uncertainty post 2020, it's a possibility this news puts the Monsterverse in jeopardy

2) A problem that has definitely plagued Toho in the past, oversaturation

Cookson
Futurian

Post by Cookson »

The anime films feel like something else, and not part of the movie catalog... They are, but not. They're kind of a loophole of sorts. Toho is making money on the character in Japan while they wait for G2 and GvsKong, since they apparently can't have a LIVE ACTION film in production while LP is working on their films. If you think of it that way, it does seem like the MonsterVerse will come to a end after 2020. It's not a bad idea for Toho to come up with something else after that, I just don't want them to RUSH into it. Like, if you want to do a live action film every other year and a anime film in the off years, I think that would be cool. I just don't the character to go away exhausted with a film every year... Let's have the character go out with a big bang and success story. Toho should reconsider and work on a film every other year.
"We knew the world would not be the same. Few people laughed, few people cried, most people were silent."~Robert Oppenheimer

Godzillian
Xilien Halfling

Post by Godzillian »

Idk why Toho would be in a rush to throw away to power of a Hollywood film, they basically get to sit back and get money printed for them. Assuming the Legendary Godzilla films can still make lots of money, what reason would Toho have to stop that? If anything Toho may want to make some new terms for the contract between them and Legendary

JAGzilla
Sazer

Post by JAGzilla »

While I am fully on board with the Monsterverse and can't wait for the next installment, I'm also in the camp that feels G14 showed that Hollywood filmmakers still fundamentally fail to understand Godzilla in some key ways. Maybe they'll improve as they go, and I'm withholding full judgement until we get that answer, but at the present time I wouldn't be disappointed if the Monsterverse does end with GvK.

Provided Toho keeps making their own movies, of course, and that's why I'm treating this news as a good thing. It's more Godziller, you know? And one other thing I'd like to address is that I know it's easy to bash big, annual movie franchises right now, seeing as they dominate today's film industry and some of them, like Star Wars, feel forced and needless and deserve to be bashed.

But don't forget: Godzilla's been doing this since day one. If Toho hadn't gotten greedy and slapped together a terrible, cheap sequel six months after the original, we probably wouldn't be having this conversation now. This is what the series has always been, and the next generation of fans will happily take this current era as yet another chapter of Godzilla's sequel-spamming saga, just as we do with the entries that came before us.
"Stop wars and no more accidents. I guess that's all I can ask." -Akio

MechaGoji Bro7503
Administrator
Administrator

Post by MechaGoji Bro7503 »

Maritonic wrote:I'm honestly surprised by the negative response to this news. I mean, granted, there are some concerns, but I have to ask do people just not want more Godzilla films? It seems like the response to Legendary's Godzilla is average at best, and the *AVERAGE* response to Shin is not overwhelming. Maybe I'm a bit naive but I'm just happy to see the franchise have some blood back in it's veins.

I, personally, was VERY let down and unhappy with Monster Planet. But I'd still be the first one to buy the blu-ray, buy a figure, and see the sequel because it's Godzilla. And it's new.

Righteousness! I agree- it's almost like people are being ungrateful, but I can see what they mean with oversaturation.

I think we need to wait for a full on video interview with a Toho executive or a lengthy article before we jump to conclusions.
"Bang on, mate.", - Murdoc Niccals 2018.

"Right, wrong... Nobody's got a clue what the difference is in this town. So I'm gonna have more fun... and live crazier than any of 'em." - Goro Majima.

Our G-Force a Kaiju Podcast: https://podcasts.apple.com/us/podcast/g ... 1509725595

For unique discussions on Ultraman, Godzilla, and much more check out my channel Tiger Drop Films: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCng0uL ... VCg/videos

GodzillaRangerPrime
JXSDF Technician

Post by GodzillaRangerPrime »

Does this mean Legendary’s Monster-Verse will take yet another extended break and just end after vs Kong?
Chris55 wrote:
Underworld54 wrote:
GalacticPetey wrote:They're not half-assing the Star Wars movies.
I very much consider TFA to be half-assed. What a generic film which only fed on nostalgia, it brought nothing new to the table.
That's not true. C3PO had a red arm.

Tohosaurus
E.S.P.Spy

Post by Tohosaurus »

GodzillaRangerPrime wrote:Does this mean Legendary’s Monster-Verse will take yet another extended break and just end after vs Kong?
We don't know at the moment. I don't think we will for some time either.
고질라

한국, 일본: 친교

Be kind, for everyone you meet is fighting a hard battle. -Ian Maclaren

Breakdown
Keizer

Post by Breakdown »

So basically its the Millenium series 2.0? Great, more sub par films. I'm only interested in the spin-off films. A 2 or 3 year gap would be much better to prevent oversaturation, which was one of the things that killed the Millenium series.
Last edited by Breakdown on Sat Mar 17, 2018 6:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ImageImage
Every rose has it's thorns

Xx_The_Masquerade_xX
Futurian

Post by Xx_The_Masquerade_xX »

So Toho hasn't really learned anything... 2 or 3 years between each movie is much better. One every year esp if mostly sub-par will pretty much be a repeat of the 2000 series which i absolutely hated.

KingKaiju
Futurian

Post by KingKaiju »

I am ALLLLLLLLL for a new Toho series. I remember how excited I was, being a 10-11 year old kid, and seeing a poster for Godzilla x Megaguirus, GMK, and GxMG. My only fear is that going back to one a year might mess with the quality of the films. Looking at the Heisei films, I feel like the quality really took a dive after Biollante, even though I love GvKG and GvD. I feel the same way about the millenium series. Buuuuuuut, one Godzilla movie a year is better than no Godzilla movie at all. I know that makes me sound like such a shill, but still... I recall the dryspell we got from GFW to G14. Shit felt like being a single dude, fresh off a break up, who who needed to get his game back on track. Plus, I'm suuuuper excited to see different takes on Godzilla. One of the things I loved about the millenium series was seeing how Godzilla's look changed from film to film.
Last edited by KingKaiju on Sat Mar 24, 2018 5:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.

jackzilla
Interpol Agent

Post by jackzilla »

What if they do what Star Wars is doing, a main Godzilla film every two years, and a spinoff in between? Like, in 2021, a new Godzilla movie, in 2022, a Mothra movie, in 2023, a new Godzilla movie, in 2024, a King Ghidorah movie, and so forth.
Last edited by jackzilla on Sat Mar 24, 2018 6:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
LONG LIVE THE KING

Zarm
E.S.P.Spy

Post by Zarm »

That would be awesome.
KaijuCanuck wrote:It’s part of my secret plan to create a fifth column in the US, pre-emoting our glorious conquest and the creation of the Canadian Empire, upon which the sun will consistently set after less than eight hours of daylight. :ninja:
The grace of God is a greater gift than we can truly fathom; undeserved mercy is a kindness humbling in its sheer scope.

The Zone Fighter campaign is complete, with all episodes subtitled! PM me if you need a link location.

Maranatha!

Cookson
Futurian

Post by Cookson »

jackzilla wrote:What if they do what Star Wars is doing, a main Godzilla film every two years, and a spinoff in between? Like, in 2021, a new Godzilla movie, in 2022, a Mothra movie, in 2023, a new Godzilla movie, in 2024, a King Ghidorah movie, and so forth.
I think this is probably the route they'll go. Hell, throw some anime films in between too since that genre is now apart of the franchise.
"We knew the world would not be the same. Few people laughed, few people cried, most people were silent."~Robert Oppenheimer

Vakanai
EDF Instructor

Post by Vakanai »

I like this news. I'm fine with a movie a year, every era of Godzilla did it, and unlike most people here it seems I always liked the Heisei and Millennium movies. Oversaturation doesn't concern me, and I trust we'll get a mix of great and mediocre titles no matter what, like we've always got in every era. My only concern is about the Monster-Verse, I hope we can continue to get Hollywood films alongside Toho films, I personally loved both G14 and Shin.
I unapologetically, wholeheartedly, and without a doubt hate Godzilla vs Kong.

B34sT
Interpol Agent

Post by B34sT »

When I read Mothra or King Ghidorah spin off I read it as Mothra vs Ghidorah (without Godzilla) 3. I really hope I'm wrong but solo KG movie would be cool.

Vakanai
EDF Instructor

Post by Vakanai »

Just thought about it, but the spin offs could be Toho's way of remaking some of their classic titles with modern effects. Maybe we could get a remake of the Gargantuas. Unlikely perhaps, but something to think about. If I can at least get a Mothra film and a Rodan film I'll be pretty happy. Maybe even a Varan, however improbable.
I unapologetically, wholeheartedly, and without a doubt hate Godzilla vs Kong.

Dyrakro
Interpol Agent

Post by Dyrakro »

Why are some people complaining about the Heisei and Millenium series? Even though I enjoy every Godzilla movie the same, the newer ones are what I prefer to watch. And since I started to become a Godzilla fan in 2007, I always hoped for a time like this to happen again :eh:

KillCrites
Interpol Agent

Post by KillCrites »

Dramorg wrote:Why are some people complaining about the Heisei and Millenium series? Even though I enjoy every Godzilla movie the same, the newer ones are what I prefer to watch. And since I started to become a Godzilla fan in 2007, I always hoped for a time like this to happen again :eh:
Probably because both the Heisei and Millennium series are very inconsistent in quality due to the rushed production that comes from yearly releases.
why did i have to be the chosen one?

eabaker
Administrator
Administrator

Post by eabaker »

KillCrites wrote:
Dramorg wrote:Why are some people complaining about the Heisei and Millenium series? Even though I enjoy every Godzilla movie the same, the newer ones are what I prefer to watch. And since I started to become a Godzilla fan in 2007, I always hoped for a time like this to happen again :eh:
Probably because both the Heisei and Millennium series are very inconsistent in quality due to the rushed production that comes from yearly releases.
Although the same is really true of the Showa era. While the team that was in place in the early-to-mid-60s had their workflow down very well, the stretch from 1954-1975 is not without its more questionable entries.
Tokyo, a smoldering memorial to the unknown, an unknown which at this very moment still prevails and could at any time lash out with its terrible destruction anywhere else in the world.