Shin Godzilla's Proportions

For the discussion of Shin Godzilla, Godzilla -1.0, the anime trilogy, Godzilla Singular Point and Toho produced and distributed films after 2015. Includes US movies financed by Toho like Detective Pikachu.
Monster X
G-Force Personnel

Shin Godzilla's Proportions

Post by Monster X »

So I was watching this video which discusses the theoretical biology of giant humans...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dbOSHoa7h3E

...And it got me thinking about Shin.

A lot of people have made note of Shin's proportions. Specifically his incredible large legs in proposition to his upper body. Well it would seem that Shin's body structure (not counting his massive tail) is probably the closest to a realistic depiction of what a colossal, upright biped's body would be shaped like.

Now to be fair Kaiju are by their very nature are unrealistic as, by our understanding of biology, no creature can ever grow to the size they do and live as they would be crushed by their own weight. It's not classed as a science fiction/fantasy subject for nothing. Hell this is a series of films about a giant, radioactive dinosaur. But it is interesting to think that they tried to add lair of realism in this regard and it dose go a long way to explaining some of the design choices if this was the case.
Last edited by Monster X on Fri Jan 05, 2018 2:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.

eabaker
Administrator
Administrator

Re: Shin Godzilla's Propositions

Post by eabaker »

*proportions
Tokyo, a smoldering memorial to the unknown, an unknown which at this very moment still prevails and could at any time lash out with its terrible destruction anywhere else in the world.

Zarm
E.S.P.Spy

Post by Zarm »

Ohhhhhhh. I just assumed he meant that "The film Shin Godzilla sets forth a proposition that this is what the proportions of a real giant creature would look like based on science; what do you think of that proposal?"

But 'Autocorrect strikes again' makes a lot more sense now. :)
KaijuCanuck wrote:It’s part of my secret plan to create a fifth column in the US, pre-emoting our glorious conquest and the creation of the Canadian Empire, upon which the sun will consistently set after less than eight hours of daylight. :ninja:
The grace of God is a greater gift than we can truly fathom; undeserved mercy is a kindness humbling in its sheer scope.

The Zone Fighter campaign is complete, with all episodes subtitled! PM me if you need a link location.

Maranatha!

Ivo-goji
EDF Instructor

Post by Ivo-goji »

Never on the first date.
Resized Image
Kaiju-King42 wrote: Welcome to Toho Kingdom, where every conceivable opinion, no matter how outlandish or unpopular, is a possibility among the population.

Gawdziller1954
JXSDF Technician

Post by Gawdziller1954 »

Monster X wrote:So I was watching this video which discusses the theoretical biology of giant humans...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dbOSHoa7h3E

...And it got me thinking about Shin.

A lot of people have made note of Shin's propositions. Specifically his incredible large legs in proposition to his upper body. Well it would seem that Shin's body structure (not counting his massive tail) is probably the closest to a realistic depiction of what a colossal, upright biped's body would be shaped like.

Now to be fair Kaiju are by their very nature are unrealistic as, by our understanding of biology, no creature can ever grow to the size they do live as they would be crushed by their own weight. It's not classed as a science fiction/fantasy subject for nothing. Hell this is a series of films about a giant, radioactive dinosaur. But it is interesting to think that they tried to add lair of realism in this regard and dose go a long way to explaining some of the design choices if this was the case.
You know, ive been trying to explain this to people for over a year and a half now (Particularly Godzilla 2014 fanboys), but nope, to some Shin is the most unrealistic design because it isn't 2014.
OH NO, IT'S GAWDZILLER!! :D

Zarm
E.S.P.Spy

Post by Zarm »

Are digs against G14 necessary, or relevant here?
Last edited by Zarm on Fri Jan 05, 2018 12:28 pm, edited 3 times in total.
KaijuCanuck wrote:It’s part of my secret plan to create a fifth column in the US, pre-emoting our glorious conquest and the creation of the Canadian Empire, upon which the sun will consistently set after less than eight hours of daylight. :ninja:
The grace of God is a greater gift than we can truly fathom; undeserved mercy is a kindness humbling in its sheer scope.

The Zone Fighter campaign is complete, with all episodes subtitled! PM me if you need a link location.

Maranatha!

Monster X
G-Force Personnel

Post by Monster X »

eabaker wrote:*proportions

This ladies and gentlemen is what happens when a dyslexic tries to speed type a post in 15 minutes before he goes to work.
Zarm wrote:Are digs against G14 necessary, or relevant here?

I'll be fair and say I get it. There's some bad blood still lingering from the Legendary vs Shin mentality that kicked of after Shin Godzilla came out. But lets please try to not fall down that pit here please. WE ALL LOVE GODZILLA and we should be able to have a rational discussion on this subject no matter your view point.

This is not directed to anyone personally, just meant to be a little food for thought.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Ok back on topic.

With classic 1954 G, much off the design is already stepping in the right direction for a realistic giant body, although I'm pretty sure it was not entirely intentional. We all know G was based on the old reconstructions of T. Rex, Iguanodon and Stegosaurus combined with the limitations of suitmation but the result is pretty good attempt. Large legs and thighs supporting a thick body that tapers upward with small arms. The only part not quit accurate is the feet, a creature of this size would likely have more compact, pillar like feet much like elephants and sauropods.

Since pretty much every version of Godzilla is based on this original design

Which brings us interestingly to G14.

G14's feet are a good example of what a giant monsters feet should be like. Of all the Godzilla's these are the most anatomically correct feet.

Now we would back round to Shin.

While, as I've already said, Godzilla's general design is basically as step in the right direction Shin's is the seeminly the more realistic variation because its the most extreme. Except the feet and possible the tail but that's were artistic licence and the fact it's ment to be Godzilla dose tie your hand a bit. The feet might also have been designed that way so as not to step on G14's toes.....so to speak.
Last edited by Monster X on Fri Jan 05, 2018 4:49 pm, edited 4 times in total.

GojiDude95
Interpol Agent

Re: Shin Godzilla's Proportions

Post by GojiDude95 »

Or they could not be realistic since any form of realism is thrown out the window when it comes to Godzilla. They probably just wanted to to design him like this to make him unique from the other versions. In my opinion it wasn't really a good change though I did love the head design when it was first revealed.

Gawdziller1954
JXSDF Technician

Post by Gawdziller1954 »

Not a dig, it's what ive seen over the past 1.5 years.

Zarm
E.S.P.Spy

Post by Zarm »

Gawdziller1954 wrote:
With all due respect, yes, it is a dig. Agreeing with someone's opinion about Shin is part of this thread. Pointlessly bashing G14 fanboys in the process of doing that, that's a dig.

Maranatha!

Gawdziller1954
JXSDF Technician

Post by Gawdziller1954 »

Zarm wrote:
Gawdziller1954 wrote:
With all due respect, yes, it is a dig. Agreeing with someone's opinion about Shin is part of this thread. Pointlessly bashing G14 fanboys in the process of doing that, that's a dig.
I'm not bashing them. I'm stating what i've seen over the past 5 years.

Inferno Rodan
Futurian

Post by Inferno Rodan »

It seems pretty pointless to say a design does a good job at attempting to be realistic and then immediately turn around and say it can't actually be realistic no matter what. Monsters are designed first and foremost for aesthetics. I'm pretty sure Shin was given the proportions he was with the express purpose of exaggerating the appearance of his height when looking up at him from ground level. Even ignoring all that, Heisei Godzilla quite frankly does a better job at being "realistic" in the sense you're getting at anyway because his leg structure and musculature are both better.
"The rantings of an upjumped zealot make for tedious listening." - Grigori, Dragon's Dogma

Omegamorph
Interpol Agent

Post by Omegamorph »

Inferno Rodan wrote:Monsters are designed first and foremost for aesthetics.
Preach

A monster of certain size is an inherently absurd concept to begin with, following what we know so far of biology and how organic tissues work and what they can withstand. When a giant monster appears on the screen you just have to assume it has a built-in solution (a fictitious oft unknowable one) for the physical issues an organism of that size would have to face

this of course is a different discussion to if and why should a monster look real, meaning why should it have realistic textures and/or movements that help sell the illusion of its reality within the context of a film
Platypus Prime wrote: Thu Mar 04, 2021 1:21 pm I realized today that thanks to a few animations and manga she's appeared in, Biollante is an anime girl.
miguelnuva wrote: Sun Mar 10, 2024 5:47 pm With this being an Oscar for best visual effects you can also joke and say Godzilla really did win the oscar.

Jomei
Futurian

Post by Jomei »

Monster X wrote:by our understanding of biology, no creature can ever grow to the size they do and live as they would be crushed by their own weight.
With respect, it's already supporting its weight.

Last edited by Jomei on Mon Apr 16, 2018 1:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
XxHeiseifanxX wrote:Can we lower age limit! There are TOO MANY HEISEI HATERS!!!
Thatguy4683 wrote: Mon Mar 11, 2024 4:04 pmWhat? Is this a joke? What gonna on here?
♡ Can't Bin the Shin! Can't Bin the Shin! Can't Bin the Shin! Can't Bin the Shin! Can't Bin the Shin!♡
Challenge me to a Pokémon battle