Shin Godzilla English Dub

For the discussion of Shin Godzilla, Godzilla -1.0, the anime trilogy, Godzilla Singular Point and Toho produced and distributed films after 2015. Includes US movies financed by Toho like Detective Pikachu.
Lain Of The Wired
Terminated
Terminated

Re: Shin Godzilla English Dub

Post by Lain Of The Wired »

So here's a question, which is better, G2K's dub or Shins?
Never forget tadpole :godzilla:

goji1986
JXSDF Technician

Post by goji1986 »

Lain Of The Wired wrote:So here's a question, which is better, G2K's dub or Shins?
Shin by a long shot.

G2K intentionally hammed things up to create humor in an otherwise straightforward film.
Last edited by goji1986 on Sat Aug 05, 2017 4:43 am, edited 1 time in total.
PM me for Godzilla versus The Sea Monster Titra Dub HD reconstruction! BLURAY-READY EDITION NOW AVAILABLE!
(Former V2.0 still available as well)
viewtopic.php?f=19&t=5561

Godzilla vs The Smog Monster AIP Dub HD reconstruction COMPLETE!
viewtopic.php?f=19&t=26132

PopInPicsPresents
Xilien Halfling

Post by PopInPicsPresents »

I thought it was absolutely terrible. Voices don't match up with characters and a lot of the dubbing is just so shit sounding. I'll take the old dubs any day over this. There's almost no emotion coming from the dubbers, it's off putting and disappointing during the more dramatic scenes.
Last edited by PopInPicsPresents on Sat Aug 05, 2017 8:13 am, edited 2 times in total.
Jomei wrote:
PopInPicsPresents wrote:
Jomei wrote:Anyway, who's everyone's best girl for X? I'm on team Asuna.
Mama Birdon is bae
Congratulations. You've constructed the most perfectly wrong post ever seen on TK.

Lain Of The Wired
Terminated
Terminated

A tad bit upset no clips of the dub have popped up on YouTube yet...

Loganrules115
Interpol Agent

Post by Loganrules115 »

Lain Of The Wired wrote:A tad bit upset no clips of the dub have popped up on YouTube yet...
Copyright hounds probably snuff them out before they're circulated.
Planet X did nothing wrong. :xilien:

mechanikong
Yojimbo

Post by mechanikong »

Lain Of The Wired wrote:A tad bit upset no clips of the dub have popped up on YouTube yet...
Check the PlayStation network store. There is a brief preview of the English dub that you can watch

Great Hierophant
Interpol Agent

Post by Great Hierophant »

I previewed the dub on my copy, Rando's dubbed voice sounds rather geeky, almost effeminate. Hasegawa's voice is neither. Given that he is the male lead and the driving force to figure out what is behind the catastrophe and later to defeat Godzilla despite the bureaucratic forces which tend to be counterproductive, I would have hoped for a stronger voice.

Dawsbfiremind
EDF Instructor

Post by Dawsbfiremind »

PopInPicsPresents wrote:I thought it was absolutely terrible. Voices don't match up with characters and a lot of the dubbing is just so shit sounding.
Meet dubbing, aka "how we ruin foreign movies."
goji89 wrote:
Dawsbfiremind wrote:People have asked me how I can want to be a writer
With skills like this......I wonder too.
MechaGoji Bro7503 wrote:Holy mother of Bagan we actually are stuck in limbo.
TK drinking game official rules.
https://www.tohokingdom.com/forum/viewt ... 0#p1564587

UltramanGoji

Post by UltramanGoji »

I liked the dub. It wasn't anything spectacular and it still hasn't topped 1985 as my favorite dub, but it was much more well put together than any of the Millenium movies. It had its unfitting moments (I think Yaguchi should've sounded a little lower in voice and stuff like WIN WIN) but overall I'd say it was good, if nothing more.

Gojira1963
Gotengo Officer

Post by Gojira1963 »

I liked the dub. I saw the movie with the Japanese subtitles twice and the dubbed version allowed me to understand a few scenes better.
Liam F.

My science fiction/Fantasy blog. with Godzilla content! http://foleyfunfilmfacts.wordpress.com/

Hellblaze
JXSDF Technician

Post by Hellblaze »

Gojira1963 wrote:I liked the dub. I saw the movie with the Japanese subtitles twice and the dubbed version allowed me to understand a few scenes better.

Same the Eng dub is by far better the Jap one was way too fast for me to understand and read the texts it was rushed. Eng one was easier for me to keep up with what they were saying. I say Funimation should do more future dubs of Godzilla movies and I'm positive they will do dubbing on Monster Planet they did a great job in my opinion and many voice actors we do recognize from anime there.

Havoks
Interpol Agent

Post by Havoks »

English dub was garbage, the voices just didn't fit and felt odd in many scenes. The subtitles is honestly not too fast to keep up with, not really that hard. Anyway, I grabbed the bluray / DVD combo, still enjoyed the film as much as I did when I saw it in theaters.
:terrestris:

Gojira1963
Gotengo Officer

Post by Gojira1963 »

Havoks wrote:English dub was garbage, the voices just didn't fit and felt odd in many scenes. The subtitles is honestly not too fast to keep up with, not really that hard. Anyway, I grabbed the bluray / DVD combo, still enjoyed the film as much as I did when I saw it in theaters.

I'm glad the Japanese subtitles aren't too fast for you, but just because you don't have a problem doesn't mean others shouldn't. We are all different.
Liam F.

My science fiction/Fantasy blog. with Godzilla content! http://foleyfunfilmfacts.wordpress.com/

LegendZilla
Sazer

Post by LegendZilla »

Is the fact that Hong Kong was a British Colony the reason why they called Godzilla "Godziller" in various dubs of the Heisei films? Because of people with native British accents doing the dubbing?

Lain Of The Wired
Terminated
Terminated

He's been called Godziller since the Showa era dude...

omgitsgodzilla
E.S.P.Spy

Post by omgitsgodzilla »

Lain Of The Wired wrote:He's been called Godziller since the Showa era dude...
They also dubbed most if not all of the '70s films in Hong Kong dude...
Loganrules115 wrote:
Copyright hounds probably snuff them out before they're circulated.
There are several brief clips of the dub on Space Hunter M's YouTube channel if you want to check them out.
RED MENACE
Projects YouTube Patreon

PineappleProducer
Monsterland Worker

Post by PineappleProducer »

I meant to post after I watched my copy last Friday, but here's my two cents on the dub.

I thought it was good. Nothing fantastic, but it'll suffice. I personally liked Rando Yaguchi's dub voice. But heck, maybe I just don't know what's up. Ogashira's voice is the only one that really irked me. Her dialogue seemed a bit... I dunno, robotic? Flat, maybe? Maybe it was in the original too, and I just didn't pay as much attention. But other than that, I enjoyed the dub quite nicely.

Mechagigan
Futurian

Post by Mechagigan »

I thought the Dub served it's purpose perfectly... nobody sounded especially off, and the translation really had the same effect as the normal subtitles, bar one or two small points described better in the original film. How anyone is calling it "awful" is a mystery to me... a Dub isn't going to have absolutely pitch-perfect matches to every face.

Also, I'd still give G2K the edge. Shin's Dub doesn't do anything but make the film easier to watch for English audiences, while G2K's actively improves the film.
Last edited by Mechagigan on Sat Aug 12, 2017 10:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.

BlankAccount
Sazer

Post by BlankAccount »

Dawsbfiremind wrote:
PopInPicsPresents wrote:I thought it was absolutely terrible. Voices don't match up with characters and a lot of the dubbing is just so shit sounding.
Meet dubbing, aka "how we ruin foreign movies."
I have to wonder, when people make fun of kaiju movies for being cheesy, how much is it the GA blaming the movies for something that is in no way their fault I.E. dubs?

JAGzilla
Sazer

Post by JAGzilla »

It was watchable. A little more emotion from some of the characters might've been nice, but it did what it had to and mostly felt believable enough. I seem to be in the minority in having found Patterson's dubbed voice grating, though, particularly early on.
"Stop wars and no more accidents. I guess that's all I can ask." -Akio