Page 2 of 6

Re: Monster Discussion: Godzilla (2016)

Posted: Wed Jul 05, 2017 6:02 am
by Jiragozira14
Plus, nothing that scale's going to be moving super-fluidly and quickly, anyways.

Re: Monster Discussion: Godzilla (2016)

Posted: Wed Jul 05, 2017 7:59 am
by MechaGoji Bro7503
Tyrant_Lizard_King wrote:They wanted the CG to give of the vibe of a man in a suit. The stiffness was completely intentional from what I've read.

Yep, im glad they did- makes him feel like Godzilla even more through CGI.

Re: Monster Discussion: Godzilla (2016)

Posted: Wed Jul 05, 2017 9:19 am
by GodzillaBurgh
I also love the way his claws are positioned, as if he has the worst case of sunburn. This could also be another reference to the fact that the first Godzilla suit actor Haruo Nakajima based his walk on a H-bomb victim with painful burns.

Re: Monster Discussion: Godzilla (2016)

Posted: Sun Jul 16, 2017 9:56 am
by LSD Jellyfish
Probably one of my favorite redesigns of Godzilla. I like how they rebooted the series with a twist, and it leaves the door open for future installments. No offense, but the redesign was good because to be honest since Heisei Godzilla hasn't really gotten any interest new powers or twists, beyond Burning Godzilla and the GMK incarnation.

Also, it's been confirmed Shin G overheats, not runs out of energy right? This makes a drastic change in how the monsters offensive capabilities are. I remember getting into an argument here with someone about how Shin G was weak cause the instant he exhausted his energy supply he was done, but that's now kind of irrelevant; it's not that he doesn't have the energy, it's that he overheats and was strategically waiting.

But ironically, the overheating actually gives purpose to Godzilla's spines. In the past it was always kinda figured that the spines stored energy. Now it seems like for Shin G it's used to dispel heat in addition to storing.

Re: Monster Discussion: Godzilla (2016)

Posted: Tue Jul 18, 2017 8:43 am
by MechaGoji Bro7503
I still laugh that when I was a kid I always wanted Godzilla to fire a beam from his dorsal plates (mine was just a large beam), and that finally came true although in a better way then I had imagined.

Heck even the idea of a "imperfect" Godzilla (form 2 and 3) I remember as an idea I had for the GMK to return as just bones and organs crawling through Tokyo bay.

Re: Monster Discussion: Godzilla (2016)

Posted: Fri Jul 21, 2017 10:59 am
by scottzilla
I absolutely hate it. There's really nothing about it I like. The eyes and arms are way too small, it lacks any sort of emotion, it's legs look absurd, the tail is outright way too long. And forms 1 - 3 are just laughable. It's just not my cup of tea. I respect the fact that some people think it's the greatest design ever, but it does nothing for me. Sorry.

Re: Monster Discussion: Godzilla (2016)

Posted: Fri Jul 21, 2017 1:30 pm
by MechaGoji Bro7503
scottzilla wrote:I absolutely hate it. There's really nothing about it I like. The eyes and arms are way too small, it lacks any sort of emotion, it's legs look absurd, the tail is outright way too long. And forms 1 - 3 are just laughable. It's just not my cup of tea. I respect the fact that some people think it's the greatest design ever, but it does nothing for me. Sorry.

I can see where your coming from; I always liked the design(s) but it was the powers that got me. I was shocked when I heard about tail beams and whatnot. But when I saw it in theaters I loved everything and I thought it was a nice take. I respect your opinions.

Re: Monster Discussion: Godzilla (2016)

Posted: Fri Jul 21, 2017 11:10 pm
by Gojira1963
I feel mixed about the design. I love how big it is, I actually like the tail and the spines. The head looks frightening and menacing. The arms are a bit too small as well as the eyes. I think giving it eyes like the GMK design would have been nice. It did lack some emotion and moved too slowly. Despite's my complaints I do like it overall.

Re: Monster Discussion: Godzilla (2016)

Posted: Sat Jul 22, 2017 8:03 am
by MechaGoji Bro7503
Gojira1963 wrote:I think giving it eyes like the GMK design would have been nice.

They kinda gave him GMK eyes, when he's in atomic breath mode. I thought that was a nice touch.

Re: Monster Discussion: Godzilla (2016)

Posted: Fri Aug 04, 2017 11:29 am
by Godzillian
I wish this version had some personality to it. A brick has more character

Re: Monster Discussion: Godzilla (2016)

Posted: Fri Aug 04, 2017 9:53 pm
by SpaceG92
MechaGoji Bro7503 wrote:
Gojira1963 wrote:I think giving it eyes like the GMK design would have been nice.

They kinda gave him GMK eyes, when he's in atomic breath mode. I thought that was a nice touch.

I wouldn't really say his eyes are GMK-esque.

GMK has intensely cloudy eyes. Shin has fish eyes. When Shin begins to charge his beam (first firing) a protective membrane slides over to shield his eyes from the flash which also apparently protects from the blasts of laser guided bombs. The membrane appears to be an inky black and to an extent, metallic. (Going all off memory). Very different from cloudy white :P

Re: Monster Discussion: Godzilla (2016)

Posted: Mon Aug 07, 2017 9:24 am
by eabaker
Godzillian wrote:I wish this version had some personality to it. A brick has more character


I disagree. I see a great deal of pain and sadness in this incarnation. Certainly a lot more personality on display here than in the latter half of the Millennium series.

Re: Monster Discussion: Godzilla (2016)

Posted: Mon Aug 07, 2017 12:56 pm
by HeiseiGodzilla117
eabaker wrote:
Godzillian wrote:I wish this version had some personality to it. A brick has more character


I disagree. I see a great deal of pain and sadness in this incarnation. Certainly a lot more personality on display here than in the latter half of the Millennium series.


I just didn't see that. Apart from the reaction Godzilla has to being wounded, I didn't see any sort of emotion or personality. It was more like a statue lumbering through the city. Some might enjoy that from their Godzillas, but I'm not a fan.

I've actually come to appreciate the movie more now. But I just can't get behind this version of the character.

Re: Monster Discussion: Godzilla (2016)

Posted: Mon Aug 07, 2017 2:26 pm
by Cybermat47
HeiseiGodzilla117 wrote:
eabaker wrote:
Godzillian wrote:I wish this version had some personality to it. A brick has more character


I disagree. I see a great deal of pain and sadness in this incarnation. Certainly a lot more personality on display here than in the latter half of the Millennium series.


I just didn't see that. Apart from the reaction Godzilla has to being wounded, I didn't see any sort of emotion or personality. It was more like a statue lumbering through the city. Some might enjoy that from their Godzillas, but I'm not a fan.

I've actually come to appreciate the movie more now. But I just can't get behind this version of the character.


You don't see much of the emotion, but it's there.


Re: Monster Discussion: Godzilla (2016)

Posted: Mon Aug 07, 2017 2:55 pm
by Dracosaurian
Yeah I have to say there was very little for me to actually feel for Godzilla in this film. The song just didn't cut it for me.

Re: Monster Discussion: Godzilla (2016)

Posted: Tue Aug 08, 2017 4:51 am
by Zarm
I don't buy the 'song represents Godzilla's actual emotions' bit. Even if it is so, that is (to me) a tremendously awful and lazy idea (seriously- in Final Wars, is Zilla feeling deeply regretful for the actions of his species causing him to lose everything because a snippet of 'We're All To Blame' is played?); and regardless, it doesn't actually mean that Godzilla is a good character showing deep emotions that he doesn't actually show because a cue on the soundtrack indicates they're there; by that logic, if I dubbed it with 'I Feel Pretty' from West Side Story, then Godzilla is deeply in love with something? If none of it exists in the performance and is only added in post, then it's not actually there in the character.

All of which to say- I don't actually dislike this Godzilla (although he's certainly nowhere near my favorites)- but the idea that we're being given some deep insight into his character by the soundtrack doesn't hold any water for me- and even if it was the director's intent, it does nothing to actually enhance the character as portrayed or give him more depth, just informs you what the director wanted to portray, and couldn't get enough emotion or visual nuance out of the character to actually communicate (thus having to resort to the soundtrack dubbing his motivations in in post)... which actually speaks worse of the character's emotion and depth and how well they are portrayed.

Re: Monster Discussion: Godzilla (2016)

Posted: Wed Aug 09, 2017 5:24 am
by ToxicLove
Godzilla is first and foremost a plot device, not a character.

Re: Monster Discussion: Godzilla (2016)

Posted: Wed Aug 09, 2017 5:36 am
by MechaGoji Bro7503
Godzilla can still be a character- this is just the first time we see this Godzilla. Im sure if we get a sequel he'll have more of a personality. I always view Godzilla as a character.

Re: Monster Discussion: Godzilla (2016)

Posted: Wed Aug 23, 2017 4:33 pm
by tbeasley
Image
:?:

Re: Monster Discussion: Godzilla (2016)

Posted: Wed Aug 23, 2017 9:00 pm
by Gawdziller1954
tbeasley wrote:Image
:?:

Hot...damn.

Checkmate "Shin GINO is unlike anything ever portrayed in the Godzilla character" people.