How many people did Shin Godzilla kill?

For the discussion of Shin Godzilla, Godzilla -1.0, the anime trilogy, Godzilla Singular Point and Toho produced and distributed films after 2015. Includes US movies financed by Toho like Detective Pikachu.
Cybermat47
Interpol Agent

How many people did Shin Godzilla kill?

Post by Cybermat47 »

I've found that about 51 people are killed by Shin Godzilla, either dying on screen, their bodies being shown on screen, or the vehicles they were in/near being destroyed.

However, how many people would Godzilla have killed that we didn't directly see?

Did the Coast Guards on the Glory Maru die from the heat and/or radiation?

Did people die when the aqua tunnels collapsed, either from drowning or radiation?

Was anyone killed when Godzilla was smashing his way up the Tama River, being hit by debris?

Apart from for four people we see die, was anyone else killed when Godzilla made landfall in Kamata, moved to Shinagawa, and escaped back into Tokyo Bay? Was anyone else stuck in their car, like the first dead body we see, or still in their home, like the family of three we see killed?

Did similar events occur during Godzilla's journey from Kamakura to Kawasaki?

Were any JGSDF personnel killed during the battle at Kawasaki?

Apart from the four B-2 crew and the eleven people on the EC-225 LP (pilot, co-pilot, attendant, Prime Minister, and eight others), who else was killed during Godzilla's second rampage through Tokyo? Were there also people still in the cars and homes while Godzilla was walking from the Tama River to Minato Ward? How many people died in his atomic breath attack?

We know people were ordered to take cover underground, but were there any still in their cars or homes? People were killed while attempting to escape the Bombing of Dresden, so this seems likely. And for those who took cover underground in the areas Godzilla hit, such as Chiyoda Ward, what happened to them? Were some crushed in a stampede like at Bethnal Green? Did Godzilla's flane breath work it's way into the underground areas? Did the firestorm suck out all the oxygen, suffocating them?

And when Godzilla stopped, was anyone exposed to fatal radiation poisoning? We know people were warned to stay indoors, but what about those who were cut off, or simply ignored the warnings?

omgitsgodzilla
E.S.P.Spy

Re: How many people did Shin Godzilla kill?

Post by omgitsgodzilla »

Shin Godzilla killed me and raised me from the dead a more complete, better person
RED MENACE
Projects YouTube Patreon

SoleMan
G-Grasper

Post by SoleMan »

All of them.
Before it can be filmed, drawn, acted or programed, it must be written.

SpaceG92
Keizer

Post by SpaceG92 »

Stop spamming. Get on topic.

GodzillavsRayquaza
Site Staff
Site Staff

Post by GodzillavsRayquaza »

I imagine people probably were killed in all of the events you mentioned. I can't put an exact number to it, but I imagine at bare minimum, Shin's atomic breath, both the fire storm and the laser beam, killed tens of thousands. This is an unrealistic number at best, as it assumes that somehow hundreds of thousands managed to escape somewhere they would remain unaffected. Given how a rather big emphasis of this movie is how Ill prepared everyone is for a kaiju attack, I imagine the actual death toll would be more so in the hundreds of thousands range. The other events mentioned in the first post would contribute to a death toll, but compared to the devastation wrought by the atomic ray, they're ultimately a drop in the bucket.
KWC Co-Operations Manager
KWCE Administrator

ShinGojira14 wrote: Neither. Hideki Anno wins because he writes a hilarious comedic satire movie where Shin and Legendary have to team up to destroy a grotesque crap-monster created by the constant toxic bickering of Shin fans and Legendary fans.
SoggyNoodles2016 wrote: Yup, my dad works at Legendary, the Nebulans are gonna be in the next movie and they're gonna get beat because Madison throws coffee in the leaders face.

Destorogoji
G-Grasper

Post by Destorogoji »

I'd like to estimate my numbers with real life events, having 15,000-16,000 deaths during Godzilla's landings (Like the 2011 earthquake and tsunami) and then increase that number to 75,000-200,000 deaths during Godzilla's fire and laser attacks (Like the bombing of Tokyo during WWII).
Here's my Instagram, I post photos of my figures, customs and sometimes other stuff:
https://www.instagram.com/buruno.98/

Cybermat47
Interpol Agent

Post by Cybermat47 »

GodzillavsRayquaza wrote:I imagine people probably were killed in all of the events you mentioned. I can't put an exact number to it, but I imagine at bare minimum, Shin's atomic breath, both the fire storm and the laser beam, killed tens of thousands. This is an unrealistic number at best, as it assumes that somehow hundreds of thousands managed to escape somewhere they would remain unaffected. Given how a rather big emphasis of this movie is how Ill prepared everyone is for a kaiju attack, I imagine the actual death toll would be more so in the hundreds of thousands range. The other events mentioned in the first post would contribute to a death toll, but compared to the devastation wrought by the atomic ray, they're ultimately a drop in the bucket.
I agree, that makes sense. The gridlock we see presumably contributed to alot of deaths - people wouldn't have been able to find cover in time.
Destorogoji wrote:I'd like to estimate my numbers with real life events, having 15,000-16,000 deaths during Godzilla's landings (Like the 2011 earthquake and tsunami) and then increase that number to 75,000-200,000 deaths during Godzilla's fire and laser attacks (Like the bombing of Tokyo during WWII).
15,000-16,000 sounds somewhat excessive for the landings - after all, I would assume that an earthquake and tsunami are much harder to avoid than a giant creature.

That said, 75,000-200,000 deaths during the atomic attack does sound realistic.

Another thing I've noticed - at the beginning of the film, we see a car in the aqua tunnel, with a man and woman aboard. The car is covered in Godzilla's blood.

Later on in the film, this was going to happen:

If Godzilla's blood is always that hot, I guess that those two people in the car probably died - at the least, I would assume that they got serious radiation sickness.

MandaSaurus
Sazer

Post by MandaSaurus »

Really? I've heard of tallying body counts in slasher movies - Jason, Freddy, Michael, etc. - but in a GODZILLA movie?!? How the Hell are you supposed to do that?!? You'd just be guesstimating anyways... :?

cloverfan98
Site Staff
Site Staff

Post by cloverfan98 »

I do wish they showed us a lot more of the deaths happen on screen. Aside from the family in the building Form 2 destroyed every death is more implied and considering how dark this movie is I feel like they could have shown us more. Heck even Gojira showed more death occurring than Shin Godzilla did. Also I have to assume that ALOT more people would have died from Radiation poisoning than what was hinted at. I know that they state at the end that Shin Godzilla's Half Life will expire fast, but I have to assume that the radiation levels in Tokyo are now far beyond Chernobyl's considering how Godzilla nuked the city into oblivion.

SoleMan
G-Grasper

Post by SoleMan »

MandaSaurus wrote:Really? I've heard of tallying body counts in slasher movies - Jason, Freddy, Michael, etc. - but in a GODZILLA movie?!? How the Hell are you supposed to do that?!? You'd just be guesstimating anyways... :?
This is why I have trouble staying on topic...

I feel he killed and injured 134,000 and 64,000 respectively. (You might have to look it up to get the reference)
Before it can be filmed, drawn, acted or programed, it must be written.

Cybermat47
Interpol Agent

Post by Cybermat47 »

MandaSaurus wrote:Really? I've heard of tallying body counts in slasher movies - Jason, Freddy, Michael, etc. - but in a GODZILLA movie?!? How the Hell are you supposed to do that?!? You'd just be guesstimating anyways... :?
Exactly. We have no idea of knowing the exact number, so I would like to hear how high people think the death toll is.

Added in 3 minutes 39 seconds:
cloverfan98 wrote:I do wish they showed us a lot more of the deaths happen on screen. Aside from the family in the building Form 2 destroyed every death is more implied and considering how dark this movie is I feel like they could have shown us more. Heck even Gojira showed more death occurring than Shin Godzilla did. Also I have to assume that ALOT more people would have died from Radiation poisoning than what was hinted at. I know that they state at the end that Shin Godzilla's Half Life will expire fast, but I have to assume that the radiation levels in Tokyo are now far beyond Chernobyl's considering how Godzilla nuked the city into oblivion.
I agree. If the film had shown us more of the horrific effects that Godzilla had on the people, I may have even held it in higher regard than the original, but so far, nothing has beaten it.

The original is brilliant in showing us the tragic results of Godzilla's attack, both by showing us people being killed in the attacks, and showing us the hospitals full of the dead, dying, and traumatised.

Added in 20 hours 11 minutes 11 seconds:
Something I've only just put together - there are 3.6 million people who need to be evacuated from Tokyo before the US nuke hits Godzilla.

Assuming that the only people who needed to be evacuated were living in the 23 wards of Tokyo, which have a population of around 9 million, that leaves 5.4 million people unaccounted for.

I would assume that some of them decided to evacuate after Godzilla's first appearance, but I doubt that 5.4 million people would be able to evacuate in that amount of time.

Godzilla's atomic breath seems to have mainly hit Chiyoda ward, which has a population of around 54,462. We can see that Rando Yaguchi was injured during the attack, despite taking shelter, so it's safe to assume that even people who took shelter were killed. We also can't be sure if some people were still in their cars, stuck in traffic, when Godzilla first fired his breath.

Overall, I would say that Godzilla's death toll is in the tens of thousands, at least, with even more suffering from exposure to radiation.

Something I want to know is what all the voices overlapping each other in the aftermath of the attack are saying. Perhaps one of them mentions casualties.