Godzilla: Monster Planet Trilogy SPOILERS Discussion

For the discussion of Shin Godzilla, Godzilla -1.0, the anime trilogy, Godzilla Singular Point and Toho produced and distributed films after 2015. Includes US movies financed by Toho like Detective Pikachu.
Dv-218
Futurian

Re: Godzilla: Monster Planet Trilogy SPOILERS Discussion

Post by Dv-218 »

LSD Jellyfish wrote:
Stefanos of Levanon wrote:Honestly these films were a waste of time, it's eating the equivalent of eating plain flour with just a pinch of salt, the salt being Ghidorah.
What great constructive criticism!

And @LivingCorpse:
I keep seeing comments like this, and yours, where people say the writing is bad, but don’t clarify or state why, and then say they were annoyed by the lack of action. Of course a logical conclusion is to be that the fights were a big part of the hatred.

And here’s the biggest spoiler of them all:
Godzilla will continue, and whether you loved or hated the trilogy, most likely in the future we will see smaller anime releases. So if this wasn’t what you thought a Godzilla anime should be, lacking a shonen protagonist and big bouncing breasts and other such cliches, don’t worry you’ll get your sword art onlines soon enough.
Well, thanks for providing a pitch- perfect example of the exact behavior we fucking talked about in the last couple of comments. Much appreciated :lol:
Last edited by Dv-218 on Sat Jan 12, 2019 2:12 am, edited 2 times in total.

Stefanos of Levanon
Monarch Researcher

Post by Stefanos of Levanon »

LSD Jellyfish wrote:
Stefanos of Levanon wrote:Honestly these films were a waste of time, it's eating the equivalent of eating plain flour with just a pinch of salt, the salt being Ghidorah.

And @LivingCorpse:
I keep seeing comments like this, and yours, where people say the writing is bad, but don’t clarify or state why, and then say they were annoyed by the lack of action. Of course a logical conclusion is to be that the fights were a big part of the hatred.

Godzilla will continue, and whether you loved or hated the trilogy, most likely in the future we will see smaller anime releases. So if this wasn’t what you thought a Godzilla anime should be, lacking a shonen protagonist and big bouncing breasts and other such cliches, don’t worry you’ll get your sword art onlines soon enough.
Rather me state the same reasons why people disliked the film over and over again?
1. The cast was terrible and were all one note.
2. The story and world was set in a place where there was nothing interesting, all the interesting events happened in the Novel(aka the past) and what could've been interesting was never explored.
3. The animation was horrid and the fact that they had to result to using a slideshow near the ending of Movie 3 was just a joke.
4. Godzilla was boring, barely moved and did nothing interesting in a total three films.
5. Movie 2's marketing blatantly false advertised Mechagodzilla's appearance in the film and was extremely misleading towards the general audience.
6. Movie 1 and 2 could've easily been formed into a single film, saving time and budget for more animation and for other places.

Shin Godzilla was arguably the best Godzilla movie since the original film and it didn't have Monster battles, it was interesting and had a new terrifying take on Godzilla, despite being a quiet film with a message it was action packed and knew how to satisfy the viewer.
Last edited by Stefanos of Levanon on Sat Jan 12, 2019 1:58 am, edited 1 time in total.

Dv-218
Futurian

Post by Dv-218 »

Stefanos of Levanon wrote:
LSD Jellyfish wrote:

And @LivingCorpse:

Rather me state the same reasons why people disliked the film over and over again?
1. The cast was terrible and were all one note.
2. The story and world was set in a place where there was nothing interesting, all the interesting events happened in the Novel(aka the past) and what could've been interesting was never explored.
3. The animation was horrid and the fact that they had to result to using a slideshow near the ending of Movie 3 was just a joke.
4. Godzilla was boring, barely moved and did nothing interesting in a total three films.
5. Movie 2's marketing blatantly false advertised Mechagodzilla's appearance in the film and was extremely misleading towards the general audience.
6. Movie 1 and 2 could've easily been formed into a single film, saving time and budget for more animation and for other places.

Shin Godzilla was arguably the best Godzilla movie since the original film and it didn't have Monster battles, it was interesting and had a new terrifying take on Godzilla, despite being a quiet film it was action packed.
THIS.

That particular approach worked with Shin because it was clearly meant to be a 1954 style metaphoric horror movie. The anime trilogy, on the other hand, cleary isn't that. It's approach to themes and philosophy is less similar to what Godzilla movies do, and more along the lines of 2edgy4me bullshit anime like Evangelion likes to shove so much.
Last edited by Dv-218 on Sat Jan 12, 2019 2:01 am, edited 1 time in total.

LSD Jellyfish
Administrator
Administrator

Post by LSD Jellyfish »

Kaiju-King42 wrote:
LSD Jellyfish wrote: Godzilla will continue, and whether you loved or hated the trilogy, most likely in the future we will see smaller anime releases. So if this wasn’t what you thought a Godzilla anime should be, lacking a shonen protagonist and big bouncing breasts and other such cliches, don’t worry you’ll get your sword art onlines soon enough.
-sigh-

MechaGoji Bro, you asked earlier which people we were referring to? Well, there you go. Don't even have to go searching for Youtube or Reddit comments. Plenty of broad, sweeping generalizations about everyone that disliked the movie right here on TK, just as with Shin.

KotM is going to be a skreeonking nightmare.
KOTM is gonna be fantastic :D

@living corpse, okay yeah I agree Haruo was a dick for killing himself when he had a baby mama. But again it sorta ties into his character.

-The slideshow and how the film slowed down there was ridiculous. I kinda paused and said,”what the fuck were they doing” there.

-I don’t agree that what happened in the past was more interesting, it’s the same shit we’ve seen a dozen or so times through the comics, or what could’ve been in a lot of movies.

-Yeah I agree that it was dumb for Mothra to appear as a cutout.

-And perhaps, the movie could’ve been condensed into a more streamlined 2 1/2hr thing and I feel everyone would’ve loved it.

However, nothing I’ve said makes the films inherently trash. And my comments about “big bouncing breasts” is a joke because quite often LC posts hentai on this site(not a complaint, but it was specific context at him). But also, I’m not really sure how a traditionally drawn anime would do it for me, I dunno. I was being sincere when I said Godzilla will continue, and we’ll probably get another anime. It’s a point being that anime is a medium, not a genre, and when people say they want a Godzilla anime a lot of baggage comes with that. And when it’s full of the cliches which I embellished, then that’ll be that.

If/when they make another Godzilla anime, they should learn to just no matter what have some good monster action. We agree Shin was one of the best, even though it didn’t have fights. Now, thinking about it, Shin doesn’t have a fight, but it has a lot of scenes of Godzilla rampaging and causing destruction with a clear escalation. This is more character driven, but you’d be right in saying Godzilla barely does anything the entire series.

I just feel overall, that a lot of complaints I have, and others do, don’t completely ruin the entire thing, and thank fucking god I’ve actually gotten some reasons out of you all. Prior to this it was just a bunch of people saying they hated it and bad because it was boring with little explanation.
Last edited by LSD Jellyfish on Sat Jan 12, 2019 2:50 am, edited 2 times in total.
Spirit Ghidorah 2010 wrote: Sun Dec 03, 2023 4:54 pm Anno-san pleasures me more than Yamasaki-san.

Darth Kiryu
JXSDF Technician

Post by Darth Kiryu »

My biggest issue with the anime is the pacing. Actually I think it's my only issue now. I didn't feel any character development until I got the full scope with Planet Eater (but even so, the characters were still mostly bland). The pacing absolutely murdered any enjoyment I had though. There's a lot of repetitive dialogue*, Monster Planet had way too much exposition, and I was even irritated at how long the final battle was dragged out.

I didn't have an issue with Godzilla or Ghidorah's movement though. Godzilla is so excessively huge, that it would be pretty difficult to pull off a more traditional monster battle. I accepted early on that he would be moving slow. Plus, with such an overpowered beam, why bother trying to fight at close range? Ghidorah is an extra-dimensional monster, along the lines of Yog-Sothoth. He's going to interact with the environment differently, and I had no problem not being able to see his entire form.

All in all, I don't hate this trilogy. There's only one Godzilla movie I actually despise and actively avoid watching, and even then, it's only one version of that movie. It's just really bland and overloaded with repetition that I can't really care about it.

*I'm going to be re-watching the entire trilogy and making note of all the instances of repetition at a later time. For now, I can't really back up my statement with specific examples.

LSD Jellyfish
Administrator
Administrator

Post by LSD Jellyfish »

^^^One of my biggest complaints is actually there’s no reason for Godzilla to be that big. I mean we really get nothing to scale him against.
Spirit Ghidorah 2010 wrote: Sun Dec 03, 2023 4:54 pm Anno-san pleasures me more than Yamasaki-san.

Malchik
EDF Instructor

Post by Malchik »

LSD Jellyfish wrote:^^^One of my biggest complaints is actually there’s no reason for Godzilla to be that big. I mean we really get nothing to scale him against.
He's essentially a God in this film so maybe they were going for a Titan kind of vibe.

LSD Jellyfish
Administrator
Administrator

Post by LSD Jellyfish »

Malchik wrote:
LSD Jellyfish wrote:^^^One of my biggest complaints is actually there’s no reason for Godzilla to be that big. I mean we really get nothing to scale him against.
He's essentially a God in this film so maybe they were going for a Titan kind of vibe.
Yeah, I get that, but you never get some sort of backdrop even to show his relative size. This is in part obviously due to the fact that there’s no cities. Still however, mentally there’s no distinguishment in my mind of how big earth is compared to the one from the first film.

Godzillian
Xilien Halfling

Post by Godzillian »

LSD Jellyfish wrote:
Malchik wrote:
Yeah, I get that, but you never get some sort of backdrop even to show his relative size. This is in part obviously due to the fact that there’s no cities. Still however, mentally there’s no distinguishment in my mind of how big earth is compared to the one from the first film.
I agree, other than that "wow" moment (and I use the term loosely) in the first film the gigantic size adds nothing interesting to the character or film.

MechaGoji Bro7503
Administrator
Administrator

Post by MechaGoji Bro7503 »

So, this whole story is the first time Godzilla completely won over humanity. Pretty amazing, to be honest. Yes, there's always the chance that humanity could go back to their power hungry ways, but where the story ended Godzilla won. Godzilla finally defeated his greatest foe.

Also, I just wanted to point out that Godzilla didn't kill King Ghidorah. He only defeated him, which I guess means Godzilla defeated Ghidorah and humanity in the same film!! Metphies says Ghidorah could return, which you could view as him still trying to hold onto his beliefs, but it brings up the question: "Did Godzilla truly beat Ghidorah?" He didn't, for both Godzilla and Ghidorah are a part of life and will come back eventually.

Now I can picture a massive headless KG flopping around his dimension :lol:
"Bang on, mate.", - Murdoc Niccals 2018.

"Right, wrong... Nobody's got a clue what the difference is in this town. So I'm gonna have more fun... and live crazier than any of 'em." - Goro Majima.

Our G-Force a Kaiju Podcast: https://podcasts.apple.com/us/podcast/g ... 1509725595

For unique discussions on Ultraman, Godzilla, and much more check out my channel Tiger Drop Films: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCng0uL ... VCg/videos

Mecha-SpaceGhidorah
JXSDF Technician

Post by Mecha-SpaceGhidorah »

Kaiju-King42 wrote:
LSD Jellyfish wrote: Godzilla will continue, and whether you loved or hated the trilogy, most likely in the future we will see smaller anime releases. So if this wasn’t what you thought a Godzilla anime should be, lacking a shonen protagonist and big bouncing breasts and other such cliches, don’t worry you’ll get your sword art onlines soon enough.
-sigh-

MechaGoji Bro, you asked earlier which people we were referring to? Well, there you go. Don't even have to go searching for Youtube or Reddit comments. Plenty of broad, sweeping generalizations about everyone that disliked the movie right here on TK, just as with Shin.

KotM is going to be a fucking nightmare.
If you mean the fandom wars that are going to result, you're damn straight!
Don't try to be a great man. Just be a man, and let history make its own judgments.
~ Zefram Cochrane (c. 2073)

PitchBlackProgress
EDF Instructor

Post by PitchBlackProgress »

IDK, I feel like if you hated the other two and knew what you were getting (no crazy fights) it was easy to get into Part 3 :shrug:

Did we really need a fight? Ghidorah was higher on the food chain than Godzilla so it makes sense for him to be helpless and for Harou to have to make the decision to save the Earth/Godzilla.

Godzilla was the Earth and Ghidorah was the Planet Eater/Black Hole, thought that concept was incredible (for this universe)
Yeah, Godzilla wins... sometimes. I mean, he was killed by Dr. Serizawa's patented bubble-bath formula, heartburn, missiles, and poor box office returns, got his ass kicked by a drunken, circus-escaped gorilla, then he was beaten by two newborn worms, yeah some “king”.
#slatternking

Mr_Goji_and_Watch
EDF Instructor

Post by Mr_Goji_and_Watch »

I don't really get all the "the novels were better" stuff since only like 5 people on this forum actually know some Japanese and it seems like only LSD Jellyfish read one of them. The rest of us are just getting the sparknotes version where we get to know all the monster action.

And how can anyone call Haruo flat when taking the entire trilogy into account? He's one of the few characters in the franchise who gets fleshed out, partly due to being in three films. And he doesn't get "developed" off screen like Miki from the Heisei series. Yeah you could call him an "Eren rip-off/standard angry shonen character" or any other complaint lobbed at him (that users copy off one another) for the first film but that's all it really applies to.
Moogabunga wrote:Ive said it before and I'll gladly say it again, this is going to be the best Godzilla film ever and more importantly, its going to be the film that truly makes Godzilla mainstream (and cool)
SoggyNoodles2016 wrote:I'm glad to be a fake fan.

BountyHunter
GPN Volunteer

Post by BountyHunter »

I guess I should get around to watching these and Shin Godzilla one of these days. :roll:
http://capturecomics.blogspot.com
Home of my upcoming Bounty Hunter comic book series!

UltramanGoji

Post by UltramanGoji »

BountyHunter wrote:I guess I should get around to watching these and Shin Godzilla one of these days. :roll:
Shin is more worth your time, I'd say.

Dv-218
Futurian

Post by Dv-218 »

UltramanGoji wrote:
BountyHunter wrote:I guess I should get around to watching these and Shin Godzilla one of these days. :roll:
Shin is more worth your time, I'd say.
I 2nd this. It provides a pretty decent philosophical and allegorical take on Godzilla which both plays an homage to the serious tone and metaphor of the original 1954 movie and reflects a lot of modern issues that plague Japan (and the world in general) today, actually has decent characters that don't engage in 2edgy4me anime shenanigans every 2 seconds, a coherent plot and a Godzilla that's both scary and actually does shit. A much better alternative, if you ask me.
Last edited by Dv-218 on Sun Jan 13, 2019 12:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Manuelito Canelito
G-Grasper

Post by Manuelito Canelito »

Tbh, I concur than from what the non Japanese speakers know, the novels aren't really fleshed out
But, if you gave me a choice between the prequel novels ir the movies storyline, knowing that both will be narratively and character-wise a piece of shit, I would still choose the novels

Because, at least with the novels we would have some monster fights, that could make the movies bearable

It wouldn't be good, It wouldn't even be enjoyable, but at least I won't die of boredom
All houses have the same. Roof. Floor. Walls. People yelling at you that they're calling the police because you broke into their house. It's only when you give them love that they truly become Home

Titanoterror98
Interpol Agent

Post by Titanoterror98 »

I already exhausted my opinions back when Planet Eater released in Japan, so to keep it brief: this movie did feel like an improvement over the last two in some ways, it was a fitting conclusion to the story it set up, but it was still held back by the problems that plagued the other two, it was a unique but misguided experiment, and I really regret calling Metaphies "best evil alien boyfriend."

Added in 3 minutes 12 seconds:
MechaGoji Bro7503 wrote:So, this whole story is the first time Godzilla completely won over humanity. Pretty amazing, to be honest. Yes, there's always the chance that humanity could go back to their power hungry ways, but where the story ended Godzilla won. Godzilla finally defeated his greatest foe.

Also, I just wanted to point out that Godzilla didn't kill King Ghidorah. He only defeated him, which I guess means Godzilla defeated Ghidorah and humanity in the same film!! Metphies says Ghidorah could return, which you could view as him still trying to hold onto his beliefs, but it brings up the question: "Did Godzilla truly beat Ghidorah?" He didn't, for both Godzilla and Ghidorah are a part of life and will come back eventually.

Now I can picture a massive headless KG flopping around his dimension :lol:
My man, MechaGoji Bro7503 telling it like it is folks!

Seriously these are some good opinions, being an insightful assessment of the meaning behind the final battle and it's aftermath.

Also, I knew wasn't the only one who pictured KG's sorry heiny floating helpless through the void! :lol:
"Kaiju are underrated." - Me
"Trust God from the bottom of your heart; don't try to figure out everything on your own." - Proverbs 3:5
"The only lemon content that should be on the internet is Lemon Demon music." - The Dapper Critter(A.K.A. Also me)

Shin Gabara
Monarch Researcher

Post by Shin Gabara »

My new headcannon says that when Mothra hatches she assimilates the minds of the Hotua and 'ends the world' in a neat parallel with Godzilla/MG.
. . .

PitchBlackProgress
EDF Instructor

Post by PitchBlackProgress »

My headcanon is- the second Mothra hatches, Godzilla locates the tribe and Atomic Breaths them to death.
Last edited by PitchBlackProgress on Mon Jan 14, 2019 6:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Yeah, Godzilla wins... sometimes. I mean, he was killed by Dr. Serizawa's patented bubble-bath formula, heartburn, missiles, and poor box office returns, got his ass kicked by a drunken, circus-escaped gorilla, then he was beaten by two newborn worms, yeah some “king”.
#slatternking