Does this mean the era of suitmation is over?

For the discussion of Shin Godzilla, Godzilla -1.0, the anime trilogy, Godzilla Singular Point and Toho produced and distributed films after 2015. Includes US movies financed by Toho like Detective Pikachu.
Demiurge
Ronin

Re: Does this mean the era of suitmation is over?

Post by Demiurge »

Yeah, the Gamera trilogy had the perfect mix of practical effects and CG. And with even G3 closing in on its 20th anniversary, imagine what they could do now.

Rodan
Gotengo Officer

Post by Rodan »

Never say never. All this means is that CGI is now also a viable option for the Japanese films.

I would be very, very unsurprised if down the road there we get another Godzilla film that uses suitmation. Japanese art isn't as tied to realism as its mainstream equivalents in the West. The staginess of suitmation is very much part of the appeal of the old Godzilla movies.

AbudJasemAlBaldawi
Monarch Researcher

Post by AbudJasemAlBaldawi »

They did try practical effects in this movie and apparently failed, it all depends on who's handling the effects for the following movies.
What do you believe in, heaven or hell?
You don't believe in heaven 'cause we're livin' in hell...

omgitsgodzilla
E.S.P.Spy

Post by omgitsgodzilla »

AbudJasemAlBaldawi wrote:They did try practical effects in this movie and apparently failed, it all depends on who's handling the effects for the following movies.
It's also worth noting that the method of practical effects that they used was a departure from previous techniques used on the series. It wasn't traditional suitmation that failed, it was a huge upper-body puppet operated by three people, which (while intriguing) doesn't really sound that practical.
RED MENACE
Projects YouTube Patreon

BlankAccount
Sazer

Post by BlankAccount »

End of an era? No.

There is always a place for both practical and digital FX and in fact I think using both is the best route. They are just tools, using either one over the other is limiting yourself. Both have their pros and cons. Hollywood is in fact making new jobs for practical FX artists as they are bringing them back, realizing that CGI has it's limits just like everything does.

TLDR: No effect is the end all be all effect. I don't think this is the end of practical FX, but I must say Toho did a damn good job with their mostly CG Godzilla, I'm impressed.

godzilla5417
Terminated
Terminated

Re: ==NO LEAKS!== SUITMATION IS DEAD!

Post by godzilla5417 »

Fuck this April fools title- SUIT MOTION FOREVER!
I'am an atheist, and the closest thing to a god that I have is.......GODZILLAAAAAAAAA! :godzilla:

Little known fact, both Zilla and Shin Hangout at the same gay bar called GINO"S!