So about the Tail-Humanoids

For the discussion of Shin Godzilla, Godzilla -1.0, the anime trilogy, Godzilla Singular Point and Toho produced and distributed films after 2015. Includes US movies financed by Toho like Detective Pikachu.
ShinGojira14
Xilien Halfling

Re: So about the Tail-Humanoids

Post by ShinGojira14 »

I personally think that while they’re an important aspect of it, those humanoids themselves aren’t his 5th form.

My guess is that they emerge from his tail, they’re gonna protect and defend Godzilla while he then evolves once more, and when he breaks free of the coagulant, he’ll look something like a more fully-healed, standard, traditional Godzilla.

Something like a modernized, more menacing version of G54.

That’s my theory, at least.
"William Knifeman! AH! AH! AH!"

Resized ImageResized Image

Ben Shapiro
Interpol Agent

Post by Ben Shapiro »

But they’re officially stated to be his fifth form sooo
Facts don't care about your feelings

eabaker
Administrator
Administrator

Post by eabaker »

Time for me to pull out my classic catch phrase:

If it's not on screen, it doesn't exist.
Tokyo, a smoldering memorial to the unknown, an unknown which at this very moment still prevails and could at any time lash out with its terrible destruction anywhere else in the world.

HeiseiGodzilla117
Xilien Halfling

Post by HeiseiGodzilla117 »

eabaker wrote:Time for me to pull out my classic catch phrase:

Do you think that's a hard rule when it comes to creative works or just one philosophy you could subscribe to? I kind of like the "death of the author" principle myself. But, to a lot of people, authorial intent (if you could call it that in this case) is still a big factor in how they think media should be interpreted. It becomes even more complicated when people don't view, say, one entry in a series of movies to be its own story but rather one part of a greater whole. And I understand the merits of those different approaches. I just wonder what your views are about those who don't necessarily hold the "death of the author" idea in high regard.
Spirit Ghidorah 2010 wrote: Sun Dec 03, 2023 4:54 pm Anno-san pleasures me more than Yamasaki-san.

eabaker
Administrator
Administrator

Post by eabaker »

HeiseiGodzilla117 wrote:
eabaker wrote:Time for me to pull out my classic catch phrase:

Do you think that's a hard rule when it comes to creative works or just one philosophy you could subscribe to? I kind of like the "death of the author" principle myself. But, to a lot of people, authorial intent (if you could call it that in this case) is still a big factor in how they think media should be interpreted. It becomes even more complicated when people don't view, say, one entry in a series of movies to be its own story but rather one part of a greater whole. And I understand the merits of those different approaches. I just wonder what your views are about those who don't necessarily hold the "death of the author" idea in high regard.
My view is that they are welcome to their interpretations - more often than not they line up with my own, because in my personal interpretation of a work I tend to take authorial intent heavily into account - but that they are mistaken if they think that they can enforce those interpretations on others.

In short, authorial intent should not be used to dismiss reader response.
Last edited by eabaker on Thu Apr 18, 2019 10:29 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Tokyo, a smoldering memorial to the unknown, an unknown which at this very moment still prevails and could at any time lash out with its terrible destruction anywhere else in the world.

LSD Jellyfish
Administrator
Administrator

Post by LSD Jellyfish »

It’s difficult though, because we have information of what Anno might have originally wanted to do, but what was ultimately rejected or altered by the upper staff at Toho. I think it’s ridiculous when people cling to X monster might have been in Y film, and to an extent concept art, but when you see an actual model it’s hard to really know what to think of it.

I personally think the tail humanoids would have either protected Godzilla, or that they would turn into Godzillas. However, part of the reason why the ending is so effective because it:
A-Illustrates how close the victory was, and that if this was not done sooner everything would’ve been lost.
B-Conveys mystery

B is more important imo. Throughout Shin, there’s a rapid sense of greater and greater mysteries. 3/4ths, the mystery kind of dissapaites of what Godzilla is/what he could turn into next. There’s a sense of dread associated with it. The ending shot solidified and continues that.
Spirit Ghidorah 2010 wrote: Sun Dec 03, 2023 4:54 pm Anno-san pleasures me more than Yamasaki-san.

eabaker
Administrator
Administrator

Post by eabaker »

LSD Jellyfish wrote:I personally think the tail humanoids would have either protected Godzilla, or that they would turn into Godzillas.
Either way, the basic act of proliferating a modified version of himself constitutes another transformation, so they are - if not the entirety of - at least a significant aspect of his next form.
Last edited by eabaker on Fri Apr 19, 2019 7:23 am, edited 1 time in total.