[Spoilers] Easter Eggs Throughout the Film

For the discussion of Shin Godzilla, Godzilla -1.0, the anime trilogy, Godzilla Singular Point and Toho produced and distributed films after 2015. Includes US movies financed by Toho like Detective Pikachu.
Creature22
EDF Instructor

[Spoilers] Easter Eggs Throughout the Film

Post by Creature22 »

Throughout Shin Gojira I noticed a lot of references to the older films, including cameos from actors, several gags/plot points, and even the use of certain sound and music cues that were put in as tribute to the early stuff. Some of the more obvious things I noticed include:
Spoiler:
- A TohoScope logo resembling the original was made for the film. Additionally, this is the first Godzilla film to feature a classic "The End" card after the credits since the Showa era.

-Both the opening shots of Gojira and Shin Gojira are of the back of a boat moving on the water, which are ultimately sunken.

- Goro Maki, the zoologist who goes missing, shares the same name as the leading man in The Return of Godzilla (1984)

- The tadpole's second transformation is a clear homage to Gojira, right down to a shot him moving through the city which looks nearly identical to one of the scenes in the original film. The train station that is attacked is Shinagawa, the same one that the original Godzilla stomped down in 1954.

- All of Akira Ifukube's different "Main Themes" are used throughout the film. Nearly all of them are versions or recordings that have only been used once before being tweaked slightly. The compositions from "Terror of Mechagodzilla," "King Kong vs Godzilla," and "Battle in Outer Space" are good examples.

- A scene regarding Godzilla's name change in the United States and how it went from "Gojira" to "Godzilla."

- The "additional powers" being used as a surprise during the Final Operation sequence is similar to Godzilla's atomic breath being a surprise during the Electrocution Plan in the first film.

- The day of Godzilla's first landing is on November 3rd, the same day the original Godzilla was released in 1954.
It would be awesome to discuss more of the hidden Easter Eggs or homages that might have appeared throughout the film.
Last edited by Creature22 on Tue Jan 03, 2017 10:42 am, edited 1 time in total.

GoodOlGoji
Samurai

Re: Easter Eggs Throughout the Film (contains spoilers)

Post by GoodOlGoji »

I thought the bridge flip was also a nice homage to the one in the 54 film as well.

ShinGi
Interpol Agent

Post by ShinGi »

Goro Maki was also the name of the main human character of Son of Godzilla.

Lain Of The Wired
Terminated
Terminated

Post by Lain Of The Wired »

During the atomic breath sweep of the city, the clock tower from the 1954 film can be seen basically getting obliterated

A guy questions why Godzilla's attacking Tokyo... again

Here's a bunch of Eva stuff from the movie
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=3r_p1mJQPCw
Never forget tadpole :godzilla:

Creature22
EDF Instructor

Post by Creature22 »

Lain Of The Wired wrote:During the atomic breath sweep of the city, the clock tower from the 1954 film can be seen basically getting obliterated

A guy questions why Godzilla's attacking Tokyo... again

Here's a bunch of Eva stuff from the movie
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=3r_p1mJQPCw
Wow; I never really watched Evangelion save for one or two episodes on an old VHS tape, but there's no denying those similarities! The God Warrior from Nausicaa of the Valley of the Wind also had a beam that would later become Godzilla's: https://youtu.be/GRLO-w3nX-4

I know they also snuck some clips/images from various animated shows Anno and his wife worked on (in the TV store right before the blackout and a profile picture on Twitter were the ones I noticed) as well.

Forgot to note that there is an Odo Island reference in the film as well- another homage to the original.

GigaBowserG
Vice President
Vice President

Post by GigaBowserG »

Spoiler:
I always saw the "coagulant" thing as being a nod to Godzilla vs. SpaceGodzilla, given the appearance of actor Akira Emoto, who played the character Major Akira Yuki wanting to kill Godzilla with a blood coagulant. But perhaps I'm thinking too much into it.

Goes without saying, there are tons of stock Toho sound effects, from the tanks firing to the battle helicopters to Godzilla's own sounds. I'm almost positive Shin Godzilla's laser breath is a very slightly altered version of Destoroyah's beam noise.
Mecha M wrote:[after seeing Shin Godzilla's design] Looks like partially cooked carne asada
/crawls back under rock

MechaGoji Bro7503
Administrator
Administrator

Post by MechaGoji Bro7503 »

Shin Godzilla's first atomic breath, the purple gas, is possibly a homage to G54's vapor breath. I also thought the shot of the line of tanks firing was a homage to the line of cannons firing in the original.
"Bang on, mate.", - Murdoc Niccals 2018.

"Right, wrong... Nobody's got a clue what the difference is in this town. So I'm gonna have more fun... and live crazier than any of 'em." - Goro Majima.

Our G-Force a Kaiju Podcast: https://podcasts.apple.com/us/podcast/g ... 1509725595

For unique discussions on Ultraman, Godzilla, and much more check out my channel Tiger Drop Films: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCng0uL ... VCg/videos

tbeasley
EDF Instructor

Post by tbeasley »

Godzilla metamorphosing during the film reminds me of the idea of him being a transitional animal in the original (just in a more overt body horror kind of way), plus his adaptive abilities seems like an expansion of ideas introduced way back in the 80s (G-cells causing mayhem, an advanced healing factor, seeking out nuclear energy for sustenance, etc.).

Dillyziller
Terminated
Terminated

Post by Dillyziller »

There is a similarity between Evangelion that wasn't in the video Lain posted.

During Godzilla's 3rd form sequence it's tail smacks a train, sending it flying.
As Eva 01 is tearing the posessed Eva 03 apart there is a very similar shot to Shin Gojira's train scene. But instead of a train it's Eva 03's severed arm.
^This post in sexually offensive.

Dino-Mario
G-Force Personnel

Post by Dino-Mario »

Not sure if this counts, but maybe Shin's gills in his second and third forms could be a reference to LegendaryGoji. But it's most likely just a coincidence.
Also, Godzilla himself being a conglomerate of several organisms that gradually develop into bigger and more powerful forms is an obvious nod to Hedorah and Destoroyah.

tbeasley
EDF Instructor

Post by tbeasley »

That microorganism theory is never going away is it, we're stuck with it for good.

Omegamorph
Interpol Agent

Post by Omegamorph »

tbeasley wrote:That microorganism theory is never going away is it, we're stuck with it for good.
cuz its like destroyah u see
Platypus Prime wrote: Thu Mar 04, 2021 1:21 pm I realized today that thanks to a few animations and manga she's appeared in, Biollante is an anime girl.
miguelnuva wrote: Sun Mar 10, 2024 5:47 pm With this being an Oscar for best visual effects you can also joke and say Godzilla really did win the oscar.

SpaceG92
Keizer

Post by SpaceG92 »

tbeasley wrote:That microorganism theory is never going away is it, we're stuck with it for good.
I really wish it would.

I don't have the movie so I cannot confirm for sure, but I remember the dialogue translated as "an ancient organism that adapted to it's high radioactive environment" in the Funi sub. To my knowledge they never mentioned or hinted he was an amalgam or microscopic lifeforms. I swear to god if it hearkens back to the "mixotroph" word again i'm going to hand out a warning for not knowing to look up definitions.

MechaGoji Bro7503
Administrator
Administrator

SpaceG92 wrote:
I really wish it would.

I don't have the movie so I cannot confirm for sure, but I remember the dialogue translated as "an ancient organism that adapted to it's high radioactive environment" in the Funi sub. To my knowledge they never mentioned or hinted he was an amalgam or microscopic lifeforms. I swear to god if it hearkens back to the "mixotroph" word again i'm going to hand out a warning for not knowing to look up definitions.
He is some sort of ancient marine animal, its been pretty much confirmed. I mean the film itself says it for like a second. Even the artbook pretty much implies it, giving an introduction by Goro himself and possible hints to Godzilla's original species anatomy.

"Right, wrong... Nobody's got a clue what the difference is in this town. So I'm gonna have more fun... and live crazier than any of 'em." - Goro Majima.

Our G-Force a Kaiju Podcast: https://podcasts.apple.com/us/podcast/g ... 1509725595

For unique discussions on Ultraman, Godzilla, and much more check out my channel Tiger Drop Films: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCng0uL ... VCg/videos

Fifth
Ronin

Post by Fifth »

Dino-Mario wrote:Not sure if this counts, but maybe Shin's gills in his second and third forms could be a reference to LegendaryGoji. But it's most likely just a coincidence.
I would think there is more than one reference to Legendary Godzilla. The way Shin Gojira's head emerges from the black cloud is similar to the way Ford sees Godzilla during the HALO jump scene. There's a panoramic of Shin Gojira walking through the city that is similar to the destruction and chaos caused by the female MUTO in Vegas (if I remember correctly). Also, when the PM is informed that the helicopter has arrived, it reminded me of the dialog between Admiral Stenz and Dr Serizawa. The way they made the building fall on Shin Gojira also looks similar to that scene in Godzilla 2014.
In that last scene I really expected to have an enormous cloud of dust and debris obscure the sky but they missed that detail.

Lain Of The Wired
Terminated
Terminated

Post by Lain Of The Wired »

The line about Godzilla flying is a nod to Godzilla vs. Hedorah, and his breaths fire form might be a nod to the flight breath from that movie
Never forget tadpole :godzilla:

GojirO
G-Force Personnel

Post by GojirO »

ShinGi wrote:Goro Maki was also the name of the main human character of Son of Godzilla.
I recognized Goro Maki as the reporter from Return of Godzilla
Rest in Peace Victoria

Mr_Goji_and_Watch
EDF Instructor

Post by Mr_Goji_and_Watch »

Fifth wrote: In that last scene I really expected to have an enormous cloud of dust and debris obscure the sky but they missed that detail.
Maybe they "missed" that detail because it wasn't a reference to it. :)
Moogabunga wrote:Ive said it before and I'll gladly say it again, this is going to be the best Godzilla film ever and more importantly, its going to be the film that truly makes Godzilla mainstream (and cool)
SoggyNoodles2016 wrote:I'm glad to be a fake fan.

MechaGoji Bro7503
Administrator
Administrator

In the scene where he fires his tail beam with his mouth beam, (the first shot we saw of it that leaked) the shot is almost completely similar to that scene where the Hanna-Barbara Godzilla fires his laser eye beams.

GodzillaBurgh
G-Force Personnel

Post by GodzillaBurgh »

I DO remember one scene where Kyoko tells Rando about the monster's name "Gojira" being translated to English as "GODZILLA". One person said it sounds like some name the Americans made up. I think that was a reference to the Americanized 1956 version, GODZILLA, KING OF THE MONSTERS!
"Just as you distrust us, so we distrust others as well. It's wrong. We're all human. As humans we are responsible to each other. We are related. Refuse us, and you will abandon your brothers. We must learn to help each other."
- Sakai, Godzilla vs. The Thing