☣The Goro Maki Connection☣

For the discussion of Shin Godzilla, Godzilla -1.0, the anime trilogy, Godzilla Singular Point and Toho produced and distributed films after 2015. Includes US movies financed by Toho like Detective Pikachu.
tbeasley
EDF Instructor

Re: The Goro Maki /Godzilla Connection

Post by tbeasley »

Zarm wrote:I think his offspring, shown before by The Blob with the relief workers found, we're just going to be clones, aren't they? The humanoid things at the end are something els- commonly theorized to be the fifth form. Not children, but the new Collective version of Godzilla himself, an adaptation to fight the collective that was defeating him.
That's pretty much it. The discarded fin would have grown an all new Godzilla and gone about its business. The art book calls the tail creatures his 5th form. They're not his offspring so much as his next evolutionary leap.

Lain Of The Wired
Terminated
Terminated

Post by Lain Of The Wired »

@Omegamorph, just watch the movie on Putlocker :)
Never forget tadpole :godzilla:

MechaGoji Bro7503
Administrator
Administrator

Post by MechaGoji Bro7503 »

Omegamorph wrote:I haven't actually seen the film yet -- country's going to distribute it in the first half of 2017, or so they've said -- but by reading plot details and this thread the thought I have is, perhaps within the established narrative Godzilla is the physical embodiment or manifestation of Maki's resentment and hatred on a purely allegorical level (think Super 8), without Maki actually absorbed within Godzilla

although this latter idea is intriguing, having Maki's resentment and hatred echo within an animal mind and driving it as if it were its own instinct, without the animal actually knowing why it does those things. There's something very visceral, very uncomfortable and very in style with other Japanese works in there, and if not here it would be great to see in another creature-centered story. If intentional, it could also be seen as a twisted reference to Godzilla being a man in a suit -- taken to a gritty biological extreme
WOW! That last sentence just blew my mind, very good thinking. I kinda want that to be intentional.
"Bang on, mate.", - Murdoc Niccals 2018.

"Right, wrong... Nobody's got a clue what the difference is in this town. So I'm gonna have more fun... and live crazier than any of 'em." - Goro Majima.

Our G-Force a Kaiju Podcast: https://podcasts.apple.com/us/podcast/g ... 1509725595

For unique discussions on Ultraman, Godzilla, and much more check out my channel Tiger Drop Films: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCng0uL ... VCg/videos

Lain Of The Wired
Terminated
Terminated

Re: The Goro Maki/Godzilla Connection

Post by Lain Of The Wired »

"If intentional, it could also be seen as a twisted reference to Godzilla being a man in a suit -- taken to a gritty biological extreme"

Woah...
Anno, you sonofabitch...
Never forget tadpole :godzilla:

Dawsbfiremind
EDF Instructor

Post by Dawsbfiremind »

That's like a fourth wall break wrapped in horror and topped with another fourth wall break!
Philosophical, in a sense. I like it.
goji89 wrote:
Dawsbfiremind wrote:People have asked me how I can want to be a writer
With skills like this......I wonder too.
MechaGoji Bro7503 wrote:Holy mother of Bagan we actually are stuck in limbo.
TK drinking game official rules.
https://www.tohokingdom.com/forum/viewt ... 0#p1564587

tbeasley
EDF Instructor

Post by tbeasley »

tbeasley wrote:The Art of Shin Godzilla is one hell of a book -
https://imgur.com/gallery/w0m6a

MechaGoji Bro7503
Administrator
Administrator

Could that be his 1st form^?. Love that drawing of his 4th form swimming.

"Right, wrong... Nobody's got a clue what the difference is in this town. So I'm gonna have more fun... and live crazier than any of 'em." - Goro Majima.

Our G-Force a Kaiju Podcast: https://podcasts.apple.com/us/podcast/g ... 1509725595

For unique discussions on Ultraman, Godzilla, and much more check out my channel Tiger Drop Films: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCng0uL ... VCg/videos

ShinGi
Interpol Agent

Post by ShinGi »

MechaGoji Bro7503 wrote:Could that be his 1st form^?. Love that drawing of his 4th form swimming.
That first form appears to be pretty much normal fish.

BlueGojira
Monarch Researcher

Post by BlueGojira »

I've been really interested in this topic, and after watching the movie again multiple times on Google Drive and Putlocker, I've finally came up with a theory. I'll divide this into two portions, the facts we know, and my theory based on what we've seen in the movie.
--------

First Part, Facts:

So, we know that Goro Maki was a marine scientist who studied the creature known as Gojira when it was a larva. He made a complex DNA Map of it, and was the person who named the beast. According to some dialogue later in the movie, his wife died from radiation sickness and he went on to hate nuclear technology. At the events in the beginning of the film, he commited suicide by jumping into the bay. The fact is, nothing else is really known. That's it. It makes it even more mysterious, and even more fun to speculate. Most of this following theory is literally just guessing.

-------

Second Part, the Theory:

Combined with Shin's intelligence, the fact it is able to assimilate other lifeforms, and the fact where Shin was living was exactly where Goro commited suicide, I think it's safe to say Goro Maki was absorbed into Gojira. That would also explain the humanoid stance of Shin, and the tail creatures at the end of the film. Think about it, it would make absolutely zero (no Kiryu pun intended) sense that Godzilla would go to an eel like creature that can barely even move to an upright creature. The second form of Shin also seemed to lack a lot of intelligence, ramming through buildings and even climbing up one instead of simply going around it. It seems through the movie Godzilla is regaining more and more human characteristics and intelligence, almost if Goro Maki is slowly regaining his senses inside of the beast he has become.

-----

I'll add more later on, but that's my theory for now. What do you guys think?
SoleMan wrote: I feel like with his passing, it finally lays the era of Godzilla to rest. No more are there guys in rubber suits, no more are there fun, silly, kid-friendly Godzillas, no more are the days when you could make out in the back row with your sweetheart and your kid brother could be in the front, eyes glued to the screen. Instead we're left with the gritty, cold world of Hollywood and apocalyptic visions of nightmare creatures.

MechaGoji Bro7503
Administrator
Administrator

ShinGi wrote:
MechaGoji Bro7503 wrote:Could that be his 1st form^?. Love that drawing of his 4th form swimming.
Pretty awesome fish, though. :P

KaijuX
Site Staff
Site Staff

Post by KaijuX »

ShinGi wrote:
With Godzilla spines! ;) And I thought ShinGoji couldn't surprise me anymore... Though to be fair, there is a giant question mark over it, so it could be somewhat speculative. Curious to see that there are two Fish-type Godzillas... Maybe they merged, Dorat style?
BlueGojira wrote:I'll add more later on, but that's my theory for now. What do you guys think?
An interesting theory! In many respects, that's something I wholly agree on. I do think that, in some form, Goro Maki somehow merged himself with Godzilla. Plus, you can also have the added bonus of the "spare head" at the tip of the tail--human-like jaw and everythin'!

Near the bottom of the image (sorry that I couldn't find a better one...).

The only point I'll probably add on is the fact that Kamata-kun's respiratory system is different. In his 1st form, he obvious had gills, an aspect that was still kept as he was developing land legs. I think a lot of Kamata-kun's thrashing is more from pain; I feel pretty sure he's having a hard time breathing or converting oxygen for his body (it's almost like a fish's date with dry land, expect he can walk). So when he changes his respiratory system from gills to lungs for Shinagawa-kun, he's able to properly convert oxygen like land animals. Just my own personal thoughts, though.
KWC Co-Operations Manager and Resident Wumbo.
Soggy Noodles wrote:Anno brought back Showa ambition by doing smaller scales, morals and trying to examine humanity.

Seshita brought back Heisei ambition with absurd powerscaling, rad fights and fat asses.

Pair of kings.
MoarCrossovers wrote:We snorted crushed Morbius DVDs and snail shells

MechaGoji Bro7503
Administrator
Administrator

KaijuX wrote:
ShinGi wrote:
With Godzilla spines! ;) And I thought ShinGoji couldn't surprise me anymore... Though to be fair, there is a giant question mark over it, so it could be somewhat speculative. Curious to see that there are two Fish-type Godzillas... Maybe they merged, Dorat style?
BlueGojira wrote:I'll add more later on, but that's my theory for now. What do you guys think?
An interesting theory! In many respects, that's something I wholly agree on. I do think that, in some form, Goro Maki somehow merged himself with Godzilla. Plus, you can also have the added bonus of the "spare head" at the tip of the tail--human-like jaw and everythin'!

Near the bottom of the image (sorry that I couldn't find a better one...).
[img]scawy%20vewy%20scawy[/img]
Perhaps the two fish are supposed to show Godzilla's family? Maybe they died by the toxic waste and he absorbed them. Them dying could be a reference to how G54's family died. Just a theory.

jlrice73
Young Farmer

Post by jlrice73 »

Just joined about a week ago. Absolutely great theories here. They truly enhance the viewing of the film and give you a lot to think about. Kinda like Evangelion.

KaijuX
Site Staff
Site Staff

Post by KaijuX »

jlrice73 wrote:Just joined about a week ago. Absolutely great theories here. They truly enhance the viewing of the film and give you a lot to think about. Kinda like Evangelion.
Aye. I think that's the best part about Shin Godzilla; it's deliberately interpretive. Something that I don't think we'll ever see with the main Godzilla films ever again (deliberately), unless Anno is forced to do Shin Godzilla 2. Don't get me wrong, interpretation is a very fine line to walk. And to some people, they just see it as lazy storytelling. That, and the strong nationalism ties can be seen as very propaganda-y. But as I enjoy the interpretive nature of Evangelion, it's a ton of fun to mentally speculate Shin Godzilla--be it his biology, what his 1st form looks like, is he merged with Goro Maki, what powers he can have, etc.
KWC Co-Operations Manager and Resident Wumbo.
Soggy Noodles wrote:Anno brought back Showa ambition by doing smaller scales, morals and trying to examine humanity.

Seshita brought back Heisei ambition with absurd powerscaling, rad fights and fat asses.

Pair of kings.
MoarCrossovers wrote:We snorted crushed Morbius DVDs and snail shells

GodzillaRangerPrime
JXSDF Technician

Post by GodzillaRangerPrime »

I choose to believe he somehow merged with Godzilla mentally and/ or physically.

Literally a man in a monster suit
Chris55 wrote:
Underworld54 wrote:
GalacticPetey wrote:They're not half-assing the Star Wars movies.
I very much consider TFA to be half-assed. What a generic film which only fed on nostalgia, it brought nothing new to the table.
That's not true. C3PO had a red arm.

Fifth
Ronin

Post by Fifth »

BlueGojira wrote:
Second Part, the Theory:

The second form of Shin also seemed to lack a lot of intelligence, ramming through buildings and even climbing up one instead of simply going around it. It seems through the movie Godzilla is regaining more and more human characteristics and intelligence, almost if Goro Maki is slowly regaining his senses inside of the beast he has become.
I think climbing that building was how Shin Gojira (or rather, Kamata-kun?) learned to stand up. The mutation happened a few minutes after that scene.

godzilla5417
Terminated
Terminated

Post by godzilla5417 »

Goro Maki flushed the toilet on his yacht, and his poop went out to sea.And Shin ate some of his poo poo!
I'am an atheist, and the closest thing to a god that I have is.......GODZILLAAAAAAAAA! :godzilla:

Little known fact, both Zilla and Shin Hangout at the same gay bar called GINO"S!

GodzillavsJason
Administrator
Administrator

Post by GodzillavsJason »

These types of posts are unnecessary, do not make posts like this again.
52 wins and 27 loses
TK's Number 1 Fan of Mass Effect, Dragon Age, Evil Dead, The Thing, and Red vs Blue!

MechaGoji Bro7503
Administrator
Administrator

This isnt really about Goro Maki, but in that pic posted by Tbeasley with Godzilla in his 4th form swimming; is that possibility him swimming with non mutated members of his species?

tbeasley
EDF Instructor

Post by tbeasley »

If he did start out as a fish I like the idea it was probably some kind of living fossil much like a coelacanth, which is slightly better than being a random tuna or whatever.

As weird as that sounds the film is about Godzilla becoming Godzilla and that's what makes it interesting. It's not so much what he starts out as but what he becomes. His physical adaptations more or less follow the evolutionary cycle of vertebrate life on earth (fish, amphibian, reptile, etc.).
He's still a big mean nuclear powered dinosaur like being in the end.