☣The Goro Maki Connection☣

For the discussion of Shin Godzilla, Godzilla -1.0, the anime trilogy, Godzilla Singular Point and Toho produced and distributed films after 2015. Includes US movies financed by Toho like Detective Pikachu.
Spydrmanjr
Monarch Researcher

Re: ☣The Goro Maki Connection☣

Post by Spydrmanjr »

There seems to be a lot of evidence to suggest a link between the two. When the coast guard suggests Goro falls overboard, moments later they are rocked by the explosion. When they ask what happened to him, immediate pan up to the tail and the mouth opens. The Goro subplot and that line in particular, to me, are like Chekhov's gun. Why mention or show some sort of connection between the two of it was not significant?

LSD Jellyfish
Administrator
Administrator

Post by LSD Jellyfish »

Spydrmanjr wrote:There seems to be a lot of evidence to suggest a link between the two. When the coast guard suggests Goro falls overboard, moments later they are rocked by the explosion. When they ask what happened to him, immediate pan up to the tail and the mouth opens. The Goro subplot and that line in particular, to me, are like Chekhov's gun. Why mention or show some sort of connection between the two of it was not significant?
He was really in the story just to provide clues behind Shin Gojira, it's origins and weaknesses. That was his significance, and really he could have been removed from the story. The odd lines and reasons why he was significant is that he carries the name of another character in a Godzilla film, which for a choice was really strange (he could have easily been named Serizawa or Dr Yamane) and the line about his wife dying of radiation sickness.
Spirit Ghidorah 2010 wrote: Sun Dec 03, 2023 4:54 pm Anno-san pleasures me more than Yamasaki-san.

GodzillaBurgh
G-Force Personnel

Post by GodzillaBurgh »

Maybe perhaps Goro Maki must've merged with Godzilla during his mutation before making landfall. Kinda like when Tetsuo from AKIRA grew into that blob and started to absorb everything.
"Just as you distrust us, so we distrust others as well. It's wrong. We're all human. As humans we are responsible to each other. We are related. Refuse us, and you will abandon your brothers. We must learn to help each other."
- Sakai, Godzilla vs. The Thing

Omegamorph
Interpol Agent

Post by Omegamorph »

Maki unleashed Godzilla. There's little doubt about that -- the film is pretty explicit -- so the link between the two on a thematic and metaphorical level is undeniably there. At the beginning of the film he probably used a depth charge to kill himself and scare Godzilla, leading the creature into action.

But we're never led to think that Godzilla can absorb or merge with other organisms. It's never said, shown or implied. All we've ever told about his nutrition habits is the way he turns air compounds into radioactive isotopes.
tbeasley wrote:
Hokmuto wrote:Well, when they got new information regarding Goro, the showed a scene with the mouth of the tail opening. It kinda implies that in my mind.
I think people are misreading this, like the mixotroph thing. That's just him preparing for the next battle, they've targeted his face and back before so the body horror logic is that he needs an extra mouth to shoot another beam.
Agreed.

This isn't to say it isn't a cool concept -- it's so deliciously morbid as I have said before in this thread -- but as things stand it's little more than a fan theory. There should be word on it from the people involved
Platypus Prime wrote: Thu Mar 04, 2021 1:21 pm I realized today that thanks to a few animations and manga she's appeared in, Biollante is an anime girl.
miguelnuva wrote: Sun Mar 10, 2024 5:47 pm With this being an Oscar for best visual effects you can also joke and say Godzilla really did win the oscar.

miguelnuva
Justiriser

Post by miguelnuva »

I like the theory Goro got feed up swam down to Godzilla and suicide bombed the creation so it would evolve to come on to land.

Added in 4 minutes 31 seconds:
Also the eye ball on the tail in the other image just goes to show how horrific Shin is as a creature. Its almost like he is two or three monsters growing in one body ready to split at any moment.
Mothra vs Godzilla> Gojira

Shadow Area 1-0
Image Image

GodzillaBurgh
G-Force Personnel

Post by GodzillaBurgh »

Maki's greatest fear is his living reality. Damn, this gets more and more deep than I thought. Dammit, Anno! You and your complex intelligence.
"Just as you distrust us, so we distrust others as well. It's wrong. We're all human. As humans we are responsible to each other. We are related. Refuse us, and you will abandon your brothers. We must learn to help each other."
- Sakai, Godzilla vs. The Thing

eabaker
Administrator
Administrator

Post by eabaker »

Omegamorph wrote:There should be word on it from the people involved
No, there shouldn't. They made their movie, they released it to the public, it is now the role of the audience to make connections and discover meanings.
Tokyo, a smoldering memorial to the unknown, an unknown which at this very moment still prevails and could at any time lash out with its terrible destruction anywhere else in the world.

KaijuX
Site Staff
Site Staff

Post by KaijuX »

eabaker wrote:No, there shouldn't. They made their movie, they released it to the public, it is now the role of the audience to make connections and discover meanings.
Very much agreed. And I don't think they will reveal anything, either. Hideaki Anno is now known for the bizarre, interpretive nature of his projects in thanks to Evangelion. So to have a Godzilla movie that is very much unanswered and kind of open ended--purposefully--is a bit of a first for the Godzilla series. Yes, you can look into the other movies as you see fit, but any unanswered questions either have answers and it's only in Japan or were overlooked by Toho. This is why I don't think we'll be getting a Shin Godzilla 2; we're pretty much left to our imagination of how things will play out (honestly, in my mind, the outcome is somewhat bleak).
KWC Co-Operations Manager and Resident Wumbo.
Soggy Noodles wrote:Anno brought back Showa ambition by doing smaller scales, morals and trying to examine humanity.

Seshita brought back Heisei ambition with absurd powerscaling, rad fights and fat asses.

Pair of kings.
MoarCrossovers wrote:We snorted crushed Morbius DVDs and snail shells

Spydrmanjr
Monarch Researcher

Post by Spydrmanjr »

Maybe we'll get The End of Shin if we pester Anno enough. Then we will know (instead of speculate) everyone dies in the end lol.

miguelnuva
Justiriser

Post by miguelnuva »

Spydrmanjr wrote:Maybe we'll get The End of Shin if we pester Anno enough. Then we will know (instead of speculate) everyone dies in the end lol.
It ends with Godzilla's rays being able to hit everyone world wide.

Shadow Area 1-0
Image Image

Omegamorph
Interpol Agent

Post by Omegamorph »

eabaker wrote: No, there shouldn't. They made their movie, they released it to the public, it is now the role of the audience to make connections and discover meanings.
Not what I meant. What I wanted to say -- perhaps worded it wrong -- is that the film would've implied it a little bit more strongly had it actually been in mind. Just needed a line with "Godzilla can absorb other organisms" but there's not even that. It's not even hinted at in the art book IIRC. It's a nice fan theory -- one I really like -- but nothing more
Platypus Prime wrote: Thu Mar 04, 2021 1:21 pm I realized today that thanks to a few animations and manga she's appeared in, Biollante is an anime girl.
miguelnuva wrote: Sun Mar 10, 2024 5:47 pm With this being an Oscar for best visual effects you can also joke and say Godzilla really did win the oscar.

Cybermat47
Interpol Agent

Post by Cybermat47 »

Let's say that Maki did merge with Godzilla, then enacted his plan to destroy Japan... why not use his atomic breath earlier? Why waste time shambling around the place?

No, I think that Maki lured Godzilla to Tokyo Bay, killed himself, and left Godzilla to show Japan the true horror of radiation - and how Godzilla wasn't the only atomic threat facing the world.

"I did as I pleased (unleashing Godzilla). Now, you do the same (launch a nuclear strike)."

Lain Of The Wired
Terminated
Terminated

Post by Lain Of The Wired »

Cybermat47 wrote:Let's say that Maki did merge with Godzilla, then enacted his plan to destroy Japan... why not use his atomic breath earlier? Why waste time shambling around the place?
Godzilla didn't have the atomic breath until he used it in the movie, he adapts to situations, when the military refused to fire, he ran back into the sea to develop an impenetrable hide, when bombs were exploded in his face, he grew a shield over his eyes, and when he was finally hurt by the military, he evolved an atomic breath, and a phased aray radar or whatever to deal with aerial targets.
He'd have to be hurt pretty badly early on to have a need to evolve an atomic breath, so that's why he "wasted time shambling around the place".

The whole theory isn't that Goro was in full control of Godzilla's body, it's that Godzilla absorbed his hatred for his fellow country, and that's why Godzilla was on a path to Tokyo.
I think if they didnt want us to at least speculate Goro wasn't connected to Godzilla's evolution, they wouldnt leave on a " What happened to Goro in the end?", then follow up with Godzilla evolving a human jaw with blue human eyes
Last edited by Lain Of The Wired on Tue Aug 01, 2017 9:54 am, edited 2 times in total.
Never forget tadpole :godzilla:

HeiseiGodzilla117
Xilien Halfling

Post by HeiseiGodzilla117 »

Lain Of The Wired wrote:
The whole theory isn't that Goro was in full control of Godzilla's body, it's that Godzilla absorbed his hatred for his fellow country, and that's why Godzilla was on a path to Tokyo.
I think if they didnt want us to at least speculate Goro wasn't connected to Godzilla's evolution, they wouldnt leave on a " What happened to Goro in the end?", then follow up with Godzilla evolving a human jaw with blue human eyes
I fully agree. The order of events was intentional. We're supposed to draw some kind of connection there. The sequence seems utterly pointless without that connection.
Spirit Ghidorah 2010 wrote: Sun Dec 03, 2023 4:54 pm Anno-san pleasures me more than Yamasaki-san.

Cybermat47
Interpol Agent

Post by Cybermat47 »

Lain Of The Wired wrote:The whole theory isn't that Goro was in full control of Godzilla's body, it's that Godzilla absorbed his hatred for his fellow country, and that's why Godzilla was on a path to Tokyo.
Ah, I see now, that makes a lot of sense.

Mechagigan
Futurian

Post by Mechagigan »

I think some of the Goro concept is there to put the audience in the same 'confused' state as the cast; as bewildered and "out of their league" they are, dealing with this abnormal anomaly of a creature, we are, as well, being left in a very grey area on a number of details.

AllosaurHell
Monarch Researcher

Post by AllosaurHell »

According to the book "The Goro Maki Journal" which was only released in Japan, Goro did indeed create Godzilla. He found the creature upon seeing it feed on the radiation in the pacific while he studied the effects of radiation and it is indeed an ancient species of marine creature, very fish-like and was compared to an Icthyosaur in previous Goro Maki documents.

THICC FISH BOI

Goro actually took this thing to his lab to experiment on it and even dissected it, he created an artificial embryo after tampering with it's DNA and he struggled to get his artificial womb machine to work (this part really begins to give Evangelion vibes) and further into his notes, Goro states that HE IS the last ingredient needed to evolve the creature even further and the rest is somewhat of a mystery because it never mentions (as far as I know since this book is in Japanese) how it escaped Goro's lab or if Goro purposefully unleashed it. This gives me the idea that it escaped from Goro an hour or minutes before the beginning of the film, it's as if Goro and his boat crew were chasing after the creature to kill it or as I previously stated, possibly unleash it. This basically confirms this theory in many ways but it still leaves plenty of questions up in the air because we still don't know how or why Godzilla made it to the mainland.

In a nutshell; Goro Maki created Godzilla in his lab by modifying a giant fish-like creature with an already bizarre DNA structure.

Credit goes to RickDaSquirrel on YouTube for revealing this info, I felt like it needed to be shared and I figured this was the right place for it.
A maker of fun cartoons and puppets for everyone's entertainment on my YouTube channel "Allosaur House"
Your local stan of Lone Wolf Baron Corbin, Shin Godzilla and Dinosaur enthusiast and Mexican young adult that lives in Canada.

You can find me elsewhere here: https://linktr.ee/AllosaurHouse

Desghidorah
G-Grasper

Post by Desghidorah »

Huh, well how 'bout that...

KaijuX
Site Staff
Site Staff

Post by KaijuX »

In thanks to RickDaSquirrel, I was able to locate and buy the book off Amazon Japan. So behold, my hands and feet! And Shin's ancestors. ;)

Surprisingly, all the notes concerning Shin are written in English! Though it does make some sense, Maki did work with the States for a time. I should note that the book is divided into 3 distinct sections. From what I could gather strictly based on the images, the first section (which is the majority of the book) details evolution and genetic engineering from Maki's notes. Section 2 is the Classified section, where most of the images of Shin's fish ancestors come from. Then Section 3 is something of the author's personal sort of take of applying logic and realism to existing monsters, like Mothra and Ghidorah. It's got neat stuff, but the good stuff is found in Section 2, for sure (though I can't read any of it).

I should note that the last image with that weird... Thing, is found early on in Section 1, so I have no clue how it correlates. Though there is a very... Distinct look to it. Y'know, kinda like Shin's tail tip? If anyone knows, please! It'd be much appreciated, haha.
KWC Co-Operations Manager and Resident Wumbo.
Soggy Noodles wrote:Anno brought back Showa ambition by doing smaller scales, morals and trying to examine humanity.

Seshita brought back Heisei ambition with absurd powerscaling, rad fights and fat asses.

Pair of kings.
MoarCrossovers wrote:We snorted crushed Morbius DVDs and snail shells

miguelnuva
Justiriser

Post by miguelnuva »

There's the Eva level of weirdness and mystery.
Last edited by miguelnuva on Wed Dec 02, 2020 11:15 am, edited 1 time in total.

Shadow Area 1-0
Image Image