☣The Goro Maki Connection☣

For the discussion of Shin Godzilla, Godzilla -1.0, the anime trilogy, Godzilla Singular Point and Toho produced and distributed films after 2015. Includes US movies financed by Toho like Detective Pikachu.
Lain Of The Wired
Terminated
Terminated

☣The Goro Maki Connection☣

Post by Lain Of The Wired »

We all know Goro Maki studied the Godzilla organism until he committed suicide by jumping into the bay, but yet there's so much unanswered about any other connection Goro Making may have had with Godzilla, so I decided to make a thread so we can speculate and discuss any possible theories.

Its stated in the movie that Goro Maki turned his back on his country and people after his wife succumbed to radiation sickness from fallout during WWII, which drove him to revenge?
So what do you think happened?
Did Goro awaken Godzilla? Did Goro manage to fuse with Godzilla? Perhaps Goro Maki's rage drives Godzilla to destroy Japan for their negligence in covering up the 1954 radiation dump?
Who knows, but its fun to speculate.

Any ideas are welcomed, post away
Last edited by Lain Of The Wired on Mon May 15, 2017 7:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Never forget tadpole :godzilla:

BlankAccount
Sazer

Re: The Goro Maki /Godzilla Connection

Post by BlankAccount »

Timeline

Fact: End of the second World War, two atomic bombs are dropped. One on Hiroshima and one on Nagasaki. Goro Maki's wife is stricken by radiation sickness. Like many civilians, Goro grows to resent the U.S. for punishing them for their countries actions.

45's -2015's

Fact: Mrs.Maki dies due to her illness and Japan not doing enough for her. Later Goro joins the Department of Energy and learns Japan had been helping the U.S. cover up illegal dumping of nuclear waste into the ocean. Goro's rage begins to build at his country for betraying his wife and him and grows to hate radiation itself and everyone who uses it, be it weapons for war or energy for peaceful purposes.

Fact: Goro becomes a marine-biologist to study the effects of radiation on life in the ocean. He discovers several prehistoric life forms feeding off it and growing to adapt to it. He theorizes a super life form could be born from this one day and names it Gojira after the god from Odo Island myth, and gives the document the code name "Godzilla".

Speculation: Goro Maki found Godzilla? Or did he create it?

Fact: Goro returns to Japan after years of self exile. Days later his boat is found adrift with no one on board. No signs of a struggle or disaster or accident. Goro is listed as missing, possibly dead. Goro's "Godzilla" theory is found with the message "I did as I pleased. Do whatever you want." taunting the world. Shows signs of Goro's further sanity loss as he wants the world to suffer as his wife and he had. He also leaves behind clues on a drug that can stop Godzilla, possibly testing humanity to see if it is worthy of saving itself.

Speculation: Everything is neatly put away, including shoes, a classic sign of suicide in Japanese culture. Goro committed suicide?

Fact: Godzilla makes it's presence known to the world.

Speculation: Goro awoken Godzilla for his revenge?

Fact: Godzilla makes landfall with what looks like a deformed face on the tail tip.

Speculation: Goro let himself be absorbed into Godzilla and the face on the tail is what remains of him? Or is the face just a random mutation like the extra toes on the feet?

Fact: Godzilla repeatedly makes landfall and just keeps moving with no way to judge level of intelligence of the creature or it's destination or goal if any.

Spectualtion: Godzilla's tail never touch the ground. Is it too painful to touch or is it what's left of Goro still alive?

Speculation: Godzilla is only a few days old despite rapid growth. Mind still that of a youngling?

Speculation: Goro is somehow influencing Godzilla, compelling him to go on land for reasons even it doesn't understand?

Fact: Godzilla is frozen with strange humanoid offspring in the process of spawning off the tail.

Speculation: Godzilla's body is using Goro's DNA to create Godzilla/Human hybrid monsters?

Maybe there's a bit of Godzilla inside each one of us.
Last edited by BlankAccount on Wed Dec 14, 2016 11:33 am, edited 1 time in total.

Lain Of The Wired
Terminated
Terminated

Damn^

Maybe Gorozilla was wanting to use himself as a martyr and knew the US would deploy atomic bombs, maybe he wanted another bomb to be dropped on Japan and was going to travel deeper into the city until the bomb dropped?

BlankAccount
Sazer

Post by BlankAccount »

Lain Of The Wired wrote:Damn^

Maybe Gorozilla was wanting to use himself as a martyr and knew the US would deploy atomic bombs, maybe he wanted another bomb to be dropped on Japan and was going to travel deeper into the city until the bomb dropped?
HOLY. SHIT.

Zarm
E.S.P.Spy

Post by Zarm »

Fantastic analysis, Living Corpse!
KaijuCanuck wrote:It’s part of my secret plan to create a fifth column in the US, pre-emoting our glorious conquest and the creation of the Canadian Empire, upon which the sun will consistently set after less than eight hours of daylight. :ninja:
The grace of God is a greater gift than we can truly fathom; undeserved mercy is a kindness humbling in its sheer scope.

The Zone Fighter campaign is complete, with all episodes subtitled! PM me if you need a link location.

Maranatha!

omgitsgodzilla
E.S.P.Spy

Post by omgitsgodzilla »

Interesting analysis! I confess I never gave Goro Maki much thought while I was watching the movie on account of how much was going on in it; I just couldn't quite process all of it.
RED MENACE
Projects YouTube Patreon

Mechagigan
Futurian

Post by Mechagigan »

This is the exact reason I desperately hope Shin gets a sequel... so much more to be discovered about this incarnation, so much more to analyze. I love the theory that Shin is a mere 'shell' for Goro's hatred; there's definitely a GMK-esque allegory in there somewhere.

LegendZilla
Sazer

Post by LegendZilla »

Living Corpse wrote:Speculation: Goro let himself be absorbed into Godzilla and the face on the tail is what remains of him?
This theory is what I will be getting around for the next while. Kudos to you for coming up with it Corpse. ;)

Lain Of The Wired
Terminated
Terminated

I think thre only thing remaining from Goro is the hatred for humanity, he felt so betrayed, it pushed Godzilla to plunge deeper and deeper into the city, leaving this trail of radiation to punish Japan for their involvement in the Odo Island waste dump cover up

I don't think they would have given any back story to Goro Making if it didn't mean anything, and the way its stated seems to imply they may suspect Goro Maki is finally taking his revenge by using the greatest instrument of destruction ever to evolve

What I want to know is how Goro found Godzilla, and how he managed to get it into the bay

BlankAccount
Sazer

Post by BlankAccount »

LegendZilla wrote:
Living Corpse wrote:Speculation: Goro let himself be absorbed into Godzilla and the face on the tail is what remains of him?
This theory is what I will be getting around for the next while. Kudos to you for coming up with it Corpse. ;)
I didn't come up with it, it's been floating around for a while now. I thought it as I was watching the movie but so did a lot of others who watched it.

LegendZilla
Sazer

Post by LegendZilla »

Living Corpse wrote:
LegendZilla wrote:
I didn't come up with it, it's been floating around for a while now. I thought it as I was watching the movie but so did a lot of others who watched it.
Where did you find that theory?

BlankAccount
Sazer

Post by BlankAccount »

LegendZilla wrote:
Guys like ebaker said they got the impression the movie was suggesting that and asked if any others felt the same and several (including I) have said we got the same impression watching the movie. So no one specific person really came up with the speculation.

LegendZilla
Sazer

Post by LegendZilla »

Living Corpse wrote:
LegendZilla wrote:
Guys like ebaker said they got the impression the movie was suggesting that and asked if any others felt the same and several (including I) have said we got the same impression watching the movie. So no one specific person really came up with the speculation.
I wonder how Anno himself would have to say about this theory?

tbeasley
EDF Instructor

Post by tbeasley »

LegendZilla wrote:I wonder how Anno himself would have to say about this theory?
Nothing but a wry smile, the rascal. Image

I don't buy into the idea Maki 'became one with Godzilla' or anything like that. 'Do what you will' says all you need to know about his ulterior motives. He didn't care what happened to the world after his death. Why would he want to control or direct Godzilla after declaring that?

Lain Of The Wired
Terminated
Terminated

^ You make a good point, that last message was weird,, but I assumed he meant the oragami crane

Fifth
Ronin

Post by Fifth »

This goes along very well with the Joe Brody is Godzilla ideas.

LegendZilla
Sazer

Post by LegendZilla »

tbeasley wrote:
LegendZilla wrote:I wonder how Anno himself would have to say about this theory?
Nothing but a wry smile, the rascal. Image

I don't buy into the idea Maki 'became one with Godzilla' or anything like that. 'Do what you will' says all you need to know about his ulterior motives. He didn't care what happened to the world after his death. Why would he want to control or direct Godzilla after declaring that?
Well maybe him and Godzilla may have not been united in a spiritual sense, but we can all still buy into the possibility that Maki deliberately let Godzilla eat him.

Mechagigan
Futurian

Post by Mechagigan »

Goro may not literally be Godzilla - as in, he may not be 'one' with the creature - but a la GMK, he could have a certain influence over his presence.

Alternatively, Goro's hatred for nuclear testing - a stance that most Godzilla films agree with wholeheartedly - could be embodied by Shin himself, making the allegory not very unlike Gojira (hence, my theory that Shin is a thinly veiled remake).

BlankAccount
Sazer

Post by BlankAccount »

Mechagigan wrote:Goro may not literally be Godzilla - as in, he may not be 'one' with the creature - but a la GMK, he could have a certain influence over his presence.
Very true, the guy kind of had a monopoly on studying Godzilla, he made a drug that can stop him. Maybe he planted something in the cities to draw them there ala the bird call in ROG.
Alternatively, Goro's hatred for nuclear testing - a stance that most Godzilla films agree with wholeheartedly - could be embodied by Shin himself, making the allegory not very unlike Gojira (hence, my theory that Shin is a thinly veiled remake).
Thinly veiled? I thought everyone went in knowing it was a remake. :P

Mechagigan
Futurian

Post by Mechagigan »

^ Ah, wasn't really sure if that was common thought or not.