Shin Godzilla exemplifies the hypocrisy of this fandom

For the discussion of Shin Godzilla, Godzilla -1.0, the anime trilogy, Godzilla Singular Point and Toho produced and distributed films after 2015. Includes US movies financed by Toho like Detective Pikachu.
Mr. Xeno
Futurian

Re: Shin Godzilla exemplifies the hypocrisy of this fandom

Post by Mr. Xeno »

ToxicLove wrote:To stir the pot, I've yet to see this overwhelming, hypocritical majority that loved Shin Godzilla from the very first image and bashed G14. I can't speak for Japan (the main country of revenue/viewership/popularity) but you couldn't possibly count the vast number of comments ala "Why is Shin Godzilla so fugly wtf American did it better in 2014!" from the American fanbase. These comments continue to this day. Legendary Godzilla has now been wrapped up in some kind of blanket, and any negative comment about him seems to send many Godzilla fans (at least American ones) into a foaming rage.

I think a more appropriate topic would be "Legendary exemplifies the hypocrisy of the fandom", because I have never seen so much yes-man statements, reverence and apologist behavior towards an admittedly competent, though heavily flawed and rather average film. I speak as someone who, by the by, enjoyed it more than hated it, so do with that what you will. B) - Goro Maki
I agree with this.

I'd also like to point out that not everyone is a hypocrite. I, for example, have never hated G'98 for any reason other than the quality of the actual film. If the GINO character had been in a better movie, like, say, the Animated Series, people wouldn't have been so damn pissy about it to begin with.
Castellan Zilla wrote:What? No dots on SHMA Mothra?! In the trash she goes.

Spuro
Keizer

Post by Spuro »

Godzilla165 wrote: Godzilla has literally flown before, he's talked before, he's been a karate master before, he's pulled a Kong and fallen for a woman before, he's defied gravity and performed a tail slide body slam before, he's been to space, he turned into a bloody magnet, he's been a literal dinosaur, he played soccer, he danced, he's been possessed by angry spirits, etc.
I've seen this argument crop up a lot, but there's one severe flaw with it that I'm going to address.

Sure, Godzilla's done all that before.

But all those ridiculous moments? All those random new abilities? Those were at least spaced across different films.

Shin Godzilla, conversely, had an over-the-top edgelord deviantart Godzilla design, a nuclear waste "amalgam of various oceanic life" origin that better suits Hedorah, had Godzilla start off as a stupid-looking wide-eyed frilled shark, gave him pokemon-style evolution abilities, made him the most incredibly stiff and immobile Godzilla of all time, gave him a Backside Beam Barrage, gave him the ability to fire a beam out of his tail, gave him asexual reproduction, and he may or may not have partially been a mutant Goro Maki as well.

And all that was packed into just one movie.

That's why some people had a negative reaction. Not necessarily because of the of the changes in themselves, but because of the sheer quantity of them thrown at us all at once.
eabaker wrote: You can't parse duende.
Breakdown wrote: HP Lovecraft's cat should be the ultimate villain of the MonsterVerse.

Gerdzerl

Post by Gerdzerl »

...Once again, he's not an amalgamation of random sea life. No where in the film is anything stated like that.

Spuro
Keizer

Post by Spuro »

Gerdzerl wrote:...Once again, he's not an amalgamation of random sea life. No where in the film is anything stated like that.
Isn't the leading theory on what happened to Goro Maki that he was absorbed into Godzilla, just like all the other sea life?
Breakdown wrote: HP Lovecraft's cat should be the ultimate villain of the MonsterVerse.

Gerdzerl

Post by Gerdzerl »

Kaiju-King42 wrote:
Gerdzerl wrote:...Once again, he's not an amalgamation of random sea life. No where in the film is anything stated like that.
Isn't the leading theory on what happened to Goro Maki that he was absorbed into Godzilla, just like all the other sea life?
Yes, but it's a theory with little basis in the film itself.

It's easily just as likely, if not more so, that he was a prehistoric fish / aquatic amphibian / aquatic reptile that got irradiated and mutated by the nuclear waste. All we know is that ShinGoji is some sort of prehistoric marine animal and I find it pretty unlikely and convoluted that a bunch of bacteria would conveniently clump together into the shape of a carnivorous tetrapod.

People have really been blowing the whole mixotroph thing out of proportion, especially when you consider that oriental hornets and venus flytraps are ones. All being a mixotroph means, as Wikipedia puts it, "an organism that can use a mix of different sources of energy and carbon, instead of having a single trophic mode on the continuum from complete autotrophy at one end to heterotrophy at the other." If ShinGoji is somehow an "amalgamation", then so is literally every other multicellular organism in existence.

Godzilla The King
Futurian

Post by Godzilla The King »

This thread is stupid not only because it's heavily biased but also it makes assumptions about people and acts as though we're all hypocritical jackasses. Might I also mention it's poking a divide between G'14 fans and Shin fans, which I find to be ridiculous. It's as though we must like one or the other, when in reality it's not mutally exclusive.
CaptainStarbird wrote:
gigan72 wrote:MMMMM, HEISEI
-fatass bodies
-big thighs
-some undersized arms
-beam spam
-a mans ass
-messed up timeline
MAKES ME HORNY
UNLIKE THOSE ANOREXIC SHOWA MODELS!
CaptainStarbird wrote: "Look under your chair for a gift, it's a bitchslap!"

godzilla5417
Terminated
Terminated

Post by godzilla5417 »

I just wanted to say I agree with you one hundred percent shin is G.I.N.O 2.0.
I'am an atheist, and the closest thing to a god that I have is.......GODZILLAAAAAAAAA! :godzilla:

Little known fact, both Zilla and Shin Hangout at the same gay bar called GINO"S!

Tatsunoshi
Monsterland Worker

Post by Tatsunoshi »

It's not addressed in the film what he mutated from at all, whether an amalgamation created by a nuclear waste stew or a single mutated animal. So any theory is plausible and cannot be ruled out-for a lot of reasons, the amalgamation theory makes better sense, but the single entity theory is certainly possible.

AbudJasemAlBaldawi
Monarch Researcher

Post by AbudJasemAlBaldawi »

Ummm I don't see how ShinG is any more ability overloaded than Burning Godzilla, in fact that's exactly what he reminds me of, a more disturbing mixture of Burning Godzilla crossed with ShodaiGoji. GINO is literally a different creature, in appearance and behavior, hence Godzilla In Name Only. This one looks like Godzilla and acts like Godzilla, so I'd say he's well deserving of the name Godzilla.
What do you believe in, heaven or hell?
You don't believe in heaven 'cause we're livin' in hell...

M.U.T.O.
Futurian

Post by M.U.T.O. »

Kaiju-King42 wrote: Shin Godzilla, conversely, had an over-the-top edgelord deviantart Godzilla design
May I remind you that "over-the-top edgelord deviantart Godzilla designs" are almost always either

1. literal zombies of actual decay
2. G2000 x2000; spiky abhorrences with spikes everywhere n shit (literally edgy)
or 3. both

Shin was none of these.
What do you call it when a railroad engineer moves toward a psychic?
Spoiler:
Approach Medium.

godzilla5417
Terminated
Terminated

Post by godzilla5417 »

M.U.T.O. wrote:
Kaiju-King42 wrote: Shin Godzilla, conversely, had an over-the-top edgelord deviantart Godzilla design
May I remind you that "over-the-top edgelord deviantart Godzilla designs" are almost always either

1. literal zombies of actual decay
2. G2000 x2000; spiky abhorrences with spikes everywhere n shit (literally edgy)
or 3. both

Shin was none of these.
How are they edgy, they are some of the best Godzilla deigns?
GINO 2.0 looks like something from Attack on Titan.
I'am an atheist, and the closest thing to a god that I have is.......GODZILLAAAAAAAAA! :godzilla:

Little known fact, both Zilla and Shin Hangout at the same gay bar called GINO"S!

omgitsgodzilla
E.S.P.Spy

Post by omgitsgodzilla »

Pardon me if someone already pointed this out (I skipped over most of the replies to the OP), but doesn't this argument kind of presume that the Godzilla fanbase is sort of monolithic, or at least that it's the same people loving Shin Godzilla for the same reasons they disliked LPG? That seems like a pretty audacious assumption; in a fandom of any size you're going to see contradictory sentiments expressed just by virtue of the fact that it's made up of numerous different people.
RED MENACE
Projects YouTube Patreon

Dillyziller
Terminated
Terminated

Post by Dillyziller »

Beef Bigshot wrote:
Dillyziller wrote:A mod creates a topic that will obviously cause MANY arguments.

Toho Kingdom ladies and gentlemen.
Arguing politely doesn't get people punished, making stupid comments like this does on the other hand
Are you serious?
^This post in sexually offensive.

Spuro
Keizer

Post by Spuro »

M.U.T.O. wrote: 1. literal zombies of actual decay

Shin was none of these.
... Yes. YES HE WAS.

UltramanGoji

Post by UltramanGoji »

I've avoided posting in this topic for a long while, but I guess it was inevitable.

I like both Godzilla 2014 and Shin Godzilla. A fresh take on the character is exactly what this stagnant and stale franchise has needed since 2004. However, I think this concept is a one-and-done deal and I wouldn't really care to see a direct sequel.
Kaiju-King42 wrote:

Shin was none of these.
... Yes. YES HE WAS.
...Except that Shin Godzilla wasn't a reanimated corpse.

Dillyziller
Terminated
Terminated

Post by Dillyziller »

I mean...
Godzilla is a fucked up mutated creature that represents the horror of nuclear weapons and is supposed to have skin that represents the radiation burns of the Japanese victims of the atomic bomb.

Spuro
Keizer

Post by Spuro »

UltramanGoji wrote:
Kaiju-King42 wrote:

Shin was none of these.
... Yes. YES HE WAS.
...Except that Shin Godzilla wasn't a reanimated corpse.
Not in execution, no. But his design most definitely fits into the "decaying Zombiezilla" category.

Dillyziller
Terminated
Terminated

Post by Dillyziller »

^But it has a purpose! It's not being "edgy" to be cool. Hell, I'd say that Godzilla is more disturbing than cool.
Last edited by Dillyziller on Sat Nov 19, 2016 2:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Godzilla165
Xilien Halfling

Post by Godzilla165 »

^^ But he wasn't a literal zombie though. That's the point trying to be made here.

#BotM

Spuro
Keizer

Post by Spuro »

Dillyziller wrote:^But it has a purpose! It's not being "edgy" to be cool. Hell, I'd say they Godzilla is more disturbing than cool.
I don't think it's trying to be cool. But I (and many others) do think that the design tries a little bit too hard to look scary. That's the problem with pushing it into the extremes; a lot of the time it ends up being unintentionally funny.
^^ But he wasn't a literal zombie though. That's the point trying to be made here.
Well yeah, I won't argue that. :P