Give Shin Godzilla a Letter Grade

For the discussion of Shin Godzilla, Godzilla -1.0, the anime trilogy, Godzilla Singular Point and Toho produced and distributed films after 2015. Includes US movies financed by Toho like Detective Pikachu.

What grade do you give Shin Godzilla?

A
61%
B
25%
C
7%
D
5%
F
3%

Total votes: 182

master_of_monsters
EDF Instructor

Re: Give Shin Godzilla a Letter Grade

Post by master_of_monsters »

I give it a B-, I thoroughly enjoyed the film but there were quite a few things that kept me from loving it
your source of self destruction

New Kirk Citizen
Ronin

Post by New Kirk Citizen »

I'd give the movie a B. It should have been less talky, and since they used CGI, I would've liked a more mobile and flexible Godzilla. Otherwise, it's a solid effort.

Billzilla1974
Interpol Agent

Post by Billzilla1974 »

There was far too much talking, but I enjoyed all of the Godzilla destruction scenes. b-
Never forget the Showa Era, R.I.P, Haruo Nakajima 8/7/2017. :g64:
Extra THICC!

Monster X
G-Force Personnel

Post by Monster X »

Loved it. While there was not much kaiju fighting, narrative wise the Big G's best films are when he's on his own against humanity. A

MillenniumGojira2000
Young Farmer

Post by MillenniumGojira2000 »

I give it am A-, B+. The monster head is kind of puppet-looking and more silly than scary in some shots, but overall the new design was good. This was a total reboot, with Gojira appearing in Japan for the first time, so the film-makers had ample opportunity to explore a new direction for the concept. Back are the heavy political and moral sermons of the original 1954 film, with the monster standing in for the devastation that results from misusing nuclear energy, and a sharp rebuke of the misleadership in Japan that allowed disasters like Fukushima. It was difficult to keep up with all the subtitles showing who was whom, and the supposedly half-American liaison didn't give a believable American accent, but overall I thought the story was solid and well paced.

MechaGoji Bro7503
Administrator
Administrator

Post by MechaGoji Bro7503 »

Still an A for me.
"Bang on, mate.", - Murdoc Niccals 2018.

"Right, wrong... Nobody's got a clue what the difference is in this town. So I'm gonna have more fun... and live crazier than any of 'em." - Goro Majima.

Our G-Force a Kaiju Podcast: https://podcasts.apple.com/us/podcast/g ... 1509725595

For unique discussions on Ultraman, Godzilla, and much more check out my channel Tiger Drop Films: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCng0uL ... VCg/videos

Gojira18
EDF Instructor

Post by Gojira18 »

A solid B at most

godzillafan1982
Ronin

Post by godzillafan1982 »

I'm giving it an A, though I just watched it today online. I still don't know what to think about some stuff like shooting lasers out of his back and tail, but overall I really enjoyed it.

Destorogoji
G-Grasper

Post by Destorogoji »

A solid B, I love that "Do whatever you want to Godzilla" design, and the plot is a very smart parody of japanese (and worldwide) poilitics. Still, it's not perfect.
Here's my Instagram, I post photos of my figures, customs and sometimes other stuff:
https://www.instagram.com/buruno.98/

InnocentClarke
Yojimbo

Post by InnocentClarke »

A-, easily, maybe up to an A, depending on my mood. It's easily one of my favourite films in the franchise. I'm not sure I'd want a sequel to it though. I think it works as a nice one-off with an interesting last shot. This Godzilla wouldn't be able to show anything hugely new in another film, at least not in any way that's loyal both to what they've shown of this version AND Godzilla as a whole. So I want the next live-action film to be a sort of return to form, with a design that can work with a rubber suit, as well as having a new and interesting monster, but I digress.

Biollante_lover
Ronin

Post by Biollante_lover »

one the of best in the franchise. but I think I have to rewatch it before I give it a rating.

BlueGojira
Monarch Researcher

Post by BlueGojira »

I would give this film an A-.

It's one of my favorites in the entire series, but the random English dialogue and some of the CGI are slightly offputting.
SoleMan wrote: I feel like with his passing, it finally lays the era of Godzilla to rest. No more are there guys in rubber suits, no more are there fun, silly, kid-friendly Godzillas, no more are the days when you could make out in the back row with your sweetheart and your kid brother could be in the front, eyes glued to the screen. Instead we're left with the gritty, cold world of Hollywood and apocalyptic visions of nightmare creatures.

Tyrant_Lizard_King
Sazer

Post by Tyrant_Lizard_King »

Can't wait for my Bluray to arrive so I can watch it again and give a more coherent rating.
Rocker, paleo buff, cryptid enthusiast, Dragonball fanatic, and lover of comic book, video game, manga, & anime babes!
Follow me on Twitter, if you dare! https://twitter.com/TLK_1983

Desghidorah
G-Grasper

Post by Desghidorah »

B+. Decent acting (even if I think they really should have gotten someone bilingual for the Ambassador), good effects, good tension, monster design took time to grow on me but it works, and story is nice and straight forward. Cons are how inactive Godzilla is and lack of fitting monster SFXs that seemed jarring to me.

Tyrant_Lizard_King
Sazer

Post by Tyrant_Lizard_King »

After skimming through my Bluray and watching a few choice scenes I might bump this up from a B to an A. It's not quite A+ material but even some of the things that bothered me initially like the Engrish didn't bother me near as much this time but it's still a bit distracting. Still I was surprised at just how invested I still was in the film in spite of only skimming through it. If only the English actors weren't so bad I might even give it an A+. Its definitely just about the most invested I have ever been in a Godzilla movie and the destruction and kaiju action still impresses me. While I don't have the nostalgia I have for Godzilla 1985 or Son of Godzilla it is still objectively a better movie. Still I don't think I really have the heart to put it above either of those films as my favorite Godzilla movie.
Rocker, paleo buff, cryptid enthusiast, Dragonball fanatic, and lover of comic book, video game, manga, & anime babes!
Follow me on Twitter, if you dare! https://twitter.com/TLK_1983

BARAGONBREH
G-Grasper

Post by BARAGONBREH »

B. Definitely one of the top 5 Tohos. Interesting political subtext. Fascinating ending.

Didn't like Fishzilla, some of the music is bizarre, hard to keep up watching on subtitles (my fault, I know), didn't like his rays.
Shadowfyre wrote:Everything you say sucks all the time.
gottatalktothefake wrote:I’m kinda disappointed, I just expected to LOVE it. I just thought it was an alright 6/10.

Cybermat47
Interpol Agent

Post by Cybermat47 »

A. If it wasn't for 1954, I would consider it the best.

The Baranosdragon
GPN Volunteer

Post by The Baranosdragon »

I give it a C. The military scenes were very good, the acting was great and the visuals were great. However, the CGI was kinda wonky at some points, the political aspects didn't click with me (though that not necessarily the film's fault), and I know I'm going to get flak for this, but I'm just going to say it...

The old sound effects completely ruined any scene Godzilla was in (The building destruction sound effect, Godzilla's old roars, etc.). They sounded fine in the older films, but they sound atrocious and completely out of place in the newer ones.
January 1st, 1929 - August 8th, 2017. May Haruo Nakajima Rest in Peace.

Gojira1963
Gotengo Officer

Post by Gojira1963 »

I would give this a B+. One of the best special effects out of the entire franchise. I really enjoyed the satirical approach to the story. My only complaints is that I would have liked to have seen Godzilla a bit more. Plus at times he was a bit lifeless in his slow movements and that didn't give him much of a personality. Yet when he fired his atomic breath/rays he moved quickly which was a little incongruous. But all in all a very enjoyable movie I will watch many times.
Liam F.

My science fiction/Fantasy blog. with Godzilla content! http://foleyfunfilmfacts.wordpress.com/

Gawdziller1954
JXSDF Technician

Post by Gawdziller1954 »

I Give it a solid A. It's a faithful remake/reboot of the 1954 original, much more faithful to the character than the LP Godzilla anyway. I thoroughly enjoyed the film.
OH NO, IT'S GAWDZILLER!! :D