Give Shin Godzilla a Letter Grade

For the discussion of Shin Godzilla, Godzilla -1.0, the anime trilogy, Godzilla Singular Point and Toho produced and distributed films after 2015. Includes US movies financed by Toho like Detective Pikachu.

What grade do you give Shin Godzilla?

A
61%
B
25%
C
7%
D
5%
F
3%

Total votes: 182

TheSecondComing
Futurian

Give Shin Godzilla a Letter Grade

Post by TheSecondComing »

I thought this'd be an easy way to gauge how we all felt about the latest Godzilla adventure, especially with feelings about it being rather taut so soon after his appearance.

I give ShinGoji a solid B. Stellar human drama, the comedy mostly works, the message harkens back to what Godzilla was about in the first place, but some of the technical stuff wasn't the tops.

Dracosaurian
JXSDF Technician

Re: Give Shin Godzilla a Letter Grade

Post by Dracosaurian »

I give it a C. An okay film but Godzilla himself left quite a bit to be desired.

M.U.T.O.
Futurian

Post by M.U.T.O. »

A. I enjoyed it thoroughly and found that whatever flaws there were didn't really bother me at all.
What do you call it when a railroad engineer moves toward a psychic?
Spoiler:
Approach Medium.

ScrumpBump
Monarch Researcher

Post by ScrumpBump »

Gave it a B. Was not a fan of the 3rd act for the most part.
Mistakes "Quote" for "Edit" more often then he wishes to admit .
“People who are brutally honest get more satisfaction out of the brutality than out of the honesty.”

Mr_Goji_and_Watch
EDF Instructor

Post by Mr_Goji_and_Watch »

A. Really liked the characters and dialogue/humor in this one. The cinematography was great and Godzilla destroying everything was amazing. Oh, and the soundtrack/sound effects was top tier. It really has some Showa influence on it, which I absolutely loved.
Moogabunga wrote:Ive said it before and I'll gladly say it again, this is going to be the best Godzilla film ever and more importantly, its going to be the film that truly makes Godzilla mainstream (and cool)
SoggyNoodles2016 wrote:I'm glad to be a fake fan.

Rodan
Gotengo Officer

Post by Rodan »

A. Good movie; good use of the concept and genre. Not an all-time masterpiece, but certainly a very well-executed version of everything it set out to do. A- if you want to be really stingy about room for improvement. This would have been an unthinkably good movie with what Toho was putting out twelve years ago.

Tyrant_Lizard_King
Sazer

Post by Tyrant_Lizard_King »

B. I liked it a lot but I can say I love it just yet. I have a few random little qualms but they're more nitpicks than anything. Still I feel extremely hesitant to give in an A. Maybe a B+ if that had been an option.
Rocker, paleo buff, cryptid enthusiast, Dragonball fanatic, and lover of comic book, video game, manga, & anime babes!
Follow me on Twitter, if you dare! https://twitter.com/TLK_1983

Mr. Xeno
Futurian

Post by Mr. Xeno »

An A, albeit barely. Good human story, clever subversion of common storytelling techniques, great visuals, and some good music. Hampered by a long in the tooth third act, bad CGI, and some underwhelming sound design.
Castellan Zilla wrote:What? No dots on SHMA Mothra?! In the trash she goes.

Showa Gyaos
Keizer

Post by Showa Gyaos »

I give it a B+. It's a fun movie, but I'd be hard-pressed to call it the greatest.
ScrumpBump wrote:
BARAGONBREH wrote:What a crap "theory". It's a great time to be alive though, I guess. Buy yourself a MacBook, spout some BS and post it on YouTube and you can make a buncha money.
Kong is Ness and Skull Island is apart of Undertale.

Gib money.

Variola
JXSDF Technician

Post by Variola »

B+

Some wonky CGI and horrendous Engrish is outweighed by a fresh storytelling style, enjoyably acidic satire, mostly great action sequences, solid performances from the Japanese cast outside of Ishihara, an effective sense of mystery and dread, and a cool new take on the character of Godzilla.

Tohosaurus
E.S.P.Spy

Post by Tohosaurus »

Main thing that keeps it from perfection is that some effects work could still be better.
고질라

한국, 일본: 친교

Be kind, for everyone you meet is fighting a hard battle. -Ian Maclaren

BlankAccount
Sazer

Post by BlankAccount »

A-

No prefect, sorry but nothing will ever catch the lightning in the bottle again like Gojira did, but this is still one of the best Godzilla films I have ever seen. Easily in my top 3. Glad to see Toho experiment again, haven't seen a movie this weird and creative since Godzilla vs Biollante. Godzilla's mere existince effects the world, not just Japan and in both films countries will do what they can to get some of his skin samples for experiments and tests, be it murder or negations.
Last edited by BlankAccount on Tue Dec 13, 2016 5:47 am, edited 1 time in total.

M.o.g.u.e.r.a14
EDF Instructor

Post by M.o.g.u.e.r.a14 »

I'd give it a C+. Too much human talk.
Fan of Godzilla, Pacific Rim, Sailor Moon, and Transformers.
Dezerb wrote: buenos ding dong didily dias senor.
http://i.imgur.com/PpE0DEQ.gif

Moguera14 X Sailor Moon

Mastergodzilla
GPN Volunteer

Post by Mastergodzilla »

I gave it an A+. I absolutely loved everything about this film, from the characters, to the humor, to the soundtrack, to Godzilla and his rampages, EVERYTHING!!!!
:baragon: :destoroyah: :muto: :bagan: :g2k: :monsterx: :gigan: :mechagodzilla: :spacegodzilla: :g64: :godzilla: :tk:
Check out my YouTube Channel, GodzillaFan2004! Has everything Godzilla, from reviews of fan films to fan films themselves! Please subscribe!!
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCR1qg2 ... 4JEFNvBhCw

Pkmatrix
Futurian

Post by Pkmatrix »

An easy A. :)

I loved pretty much everything about this movie and what few criticisms I do have are nowhere near enough to downgrade it from the top tier. A wonderful film in just about every regard!

MandaSaurus
Sazer

Post by MandaSaurus »

A-

Not perfect, but a whole helluva lot of fun. Anno's slap at excessive bureaucracy was pretty spot-on, what with the politicians running around like chickens with their heads cut off, going, 'What do we do? What do we do? We have no contingency for that!'. Sadly, if a giant monster DID appear somewhere today, it would probably cut quite a swath of destruction before the bureaucrats actually DID anything. We traded nuclear war for nuclear waste, and that works. Special effects weren't the best , but pretty good overall. Liked how they hearkened back to the '54 original, and got 'Godzilla/Gojira' from the legends of Ohdo Island( a REAL legend, BTW? ). Leave it to Toho to come up with a SCARIER Goji than Hollywood can. Solid 'Thumbs-Up' for me. Looking forward to the NA DVD release...

SpaceG92
Keizer

Post by SpaceG92 »

Who ever gave it a C or a D - you're on the list.

Shin Godzilla gets a "S" rank.
M.o.g.u.e.r.a14 wrote:I'd give it a C+. Too much human talk.
Have you watched some of the other Godzilla films? It's nothing new. Human elements is what holds the movie together and even so - a C+ for just "to much human talk" is fricken harsh don't you think?

Variola
JXSDF Technician

Post by Variola »

MandaSaurus wrote: Leave it to Toho to come up with a SCARIER Goji than Hollywood can.
To be fair the 2014 Hollywood Godzilla wasn't really trying to be scary.

M.U.T.O.
Futurian

Post by M.U.T.O. »

SpaceG92 wrote: Shin Godzilla gets a "S" rank.
PERFECT
GG, SpaceG
GG
What do you call it when a railroad engineer moves toward a psychic?
Spoiler:
Approach Medium.

MechaGoji Bro7503
Administrator
Administrator

Post by MechaGoji Bro7503 »

An A, i loved it. I was pretty high on nostalgia with this film.
"Bang on, mate.", - Murdoc Niccals 2018.

"Right, wrong... Nobody's got a clue what the difference is in this town. So I'm gonna have more fun... and live crazier than any of 'em." - Goro Majima.

Our G-Force a Kaiju Podcast: https://podcasts.apple.com/us/podcast/g ... 1509725595

For unique discussions on Ultraman, Godzilla, and much more check out my channel Tiger Drop Films: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCng0uL ... VCg/videos