Give Shin Godzilla a Letter Grade

For the discussion of Shin Godzilla, Godzilla -1.0, the anime trilogy, Godzilla Singular Point and Toho produced and distributed films after 2015. Includes US movies financed by Toho like Detective Pikachu.

What grade do you give Shin Godzilla?

A
61%
B
25%
C
7%
D
5%
F
3%

Total votes: 182

Jomei
Futurian

Re: Give Shin Godzilla a Letter Grade

Post by Jomei »

It gets an A+ now after the extra credit assignment of annoying all the right people even a year later.
XxHeiseifanxX wrote:Can we lower age limit! There are TOO MANY HEISEI HATERS!!!
Thatguy4683 wrote: Mon Mar 11, 2024 4:04 pmWhat? Is this a joke? What gonna on here?
♡ Can't Bin the Shin! Can't Bin the Shin! Can't Bin the Shin! Can't Bin the Shin! Can't Bin the Shin!♡
Challenge me to a Pokémon battle

Gawdziller1954
JXSDF Technician

Post by Gawdziller1954 »

Jomei wrote:It gets an A+ now after the extra credit assignment of annoying all the right people even a year later.
Lol, my 285 comment+ chain with a triggered G2014 fanboy ("Shin is the weakest Godzilla ever, he got knocked down by trians") comes to mind :lol:
OH NO, IT'S GAWDZILLER!! :D

Shin Gabara
Monarch Researcher

Post by Shin Gabara »

In a weird way, it feels the most . . . intimate . . . of the films. 'Knowing' where everything was taking place at all times throughout gave the city of Tokyo itself a greater sense of being and identity than even the original Gojira did.
. . .

OpteraKaiju92
Ronin

Post by OpteraKaiju92 »

Gave it an A, not an immaculate film but in my top 10 all time. I sorta view it somewhat analogous to The Force Awakens and A New Hope.
"What you habitually think largely determines what you will ultimately become" - Bruce Lee

SpaceG92
Keizer

Post by SpaceG92 »

Jomei wrote:It gets an A+ now after the extra credit assignment of annoying all the right people even a year later.
Doesn't that mean Shin Godzilla should come with a trigger warning?

As stated prior, easy A. Within my top 5 personal favorite and "best" films in the series

master_of_monsters
EDF Instructor

Post by master_of_monsters »

B I did enjoy it but it wasn't all it was claimed to be in my opinion
your source of self destruction

Mac Daddy MM
Xilien Halfling

Post by Mac Daddy MM »

C+

Would have been a lot better if they tried some new plot points like they did with Godzilla's design and powers. Unfortunately, the complete retread of G'85 just bogs it down too much. And the fact the characters are just crap. Not to mention, the complete anti-climatic finale that is the ending of the Yashiori plan.

Quote of the Year:
plasmabeam wrote: Tue Dec 05, 2023 3:03 am Hear me out on this. What if Godzilla is actually Suko’s father? In GvK when Godzilla defeated Kong and they were roaring at each other, what if Godzilla inseminated Kong at that moment and that’s why they were screaming?

Godzillian
Xilien Halfling

Post by Godzillian »

A+

I'd go as far as to say it is the best Godzilla film since the original!

Kaeyas
GPN Volunteer

Post by Kaeyas »

I first saw it last Summer when I bought it at Wal-Mart. Absolute masterpiece imho. Best movie since ROG. First time my jaw has dropped (the city being burned scene) since ROG (the first G movie I ever saw) back in 85'. Ive watched it probably 5 times. In my top 3 for sure. That is all. Oh yeah...and I'm back , that too! :twisted:
Dedicated To Darkness..

KingKaiju
Futurian

Post by KingKaiju »

Easy A. Fantastic film that had actual substance behind it than just a run-of-the-mill monster movie.

G.Escanor
Yojimbo

Post by G.Escanor »

It's definitely one of the better Godzilla movies, and it takes Godzilla back to his roots but in an unconventional way where his presence brings fear of the nuclear weapon to the hearts of the Japanese and that even though the characters are still hard to feel much for them , they much better that previous characters in that they are not completely cardboard cutouts. I would give it a solid B, nothing more because it didn't expand much on what had been previously seen or felt, but it definitely delivered in every other aspect of the original Godzilla. Godzilla himself was also phenomenally terrifying, having him resemble the original in his scarred and more tragic appearance. As a "Godzilla" film, it's one of, if not the best Godzilla movies, but as a film on its own, it meets most standards.
ShinEscanor156

SuperPawnageGigan
G-Force Personnel

Post by SuperPawnageGigan »

I give this movie a B+. The humans were great but... Godzilla only got 8 minutes of screen time!
8-BIT MADNESS
2 Friends having a good time.

goji89
Sazer

Post by goji89 »

C.

Could of reduced the red tape scenes a bit.
Characters were not that likeable.
It was not that great as many made it out to be.

Tyrant_Lizard_King
Sazer

Post by Tyrant_Lizard_King »

SuperPawnageGigan wrote:I give this movie a B+. The humans were great but... Godzilla only got 8 minutes of screen time!
Godzilla had 18 minutes of screen time not 8. Yes all three forms count as Godzilla. They are all one singular being.
Rocker, paleo buff, cryptid enthusiast, Dragonball fanatic, and lover of comic book, video game, manga, & anime babes!
Follow me on Twitter, if you dare! https://twitter.com/TLK_1983

Noble Saber
Xilien Halfling

Post by Noble Saber »

A+ booooooooi.

I consider this, Pacific Rim, and Godzilla 2014 to be the Holy Trinity of modern monster movies.

Pacfanweb
Monsterland Worker

Post by Pacfanweb »

SpaceG92 wrote:
Pacfanweb wrote:
Dracosaurian wrote:I give it a C. An okay film but Godzilla himself left quite a bit to be desired.
Agreed.

The first form that hit land was just pitiful. Could they have spent more than 5 minutes on its eyes?
How so? Is it the size? You know that eyes don't grow with you?
Spoiler:
It would make sense a smaller, younger form to have larger eyes. Not to mention this form was aquatic, hence the large fish eyes.
The eyes were terrible, and yes, your eyes absolutely, 100% DO grow with you.

The eyes didn't move, didn't blink. They looked like saucers the entire time. All this tech to make him look more realistic and they can't even make eyes even as good as 1984 G had.

SpaceG92
Keizer

Post by SpaceG92 »

Pacfanweb wrote:
SpaceG92 wrote:
Pacfanweb wrote:
Agreed.

The first form that hit land was just pitiful. Could they have spent more than 5 minutes on its eyes?
How so? Is it the size? You know that eyes don't grow with you?
Spoiler:
It would make sense a smaller, younger form to have larger eyes. Not to mention this form was aquatic, hence the large fish eyes.
The eyes were terrible, and yes, your eyes absolutely, 100% DO grow with you.

The eyes didn't move, didn't blink. They looked like saucers the entire time. All this tech to make him look more realistic and they can't even make eyes even as good as 1984 G had.
I believe they wanted to go for something more...nightmarish. I mean - Anno was attached after all and look at some of the scrapped content of the film.

As for the whole eye thing. Sure - the eyes grow...but I wouldn't call it "growing". You eyes only grow about 7mm between birth and ~age 13. For an organism of Shin's size and presumed life span, his eyes were probably already fullsize - assuming he follows anything close to what we have in our world. Which, he kinda doesn't.

Added in 1 minute 36 seconds:
Also - lol @ october 25th 2016 post quote. just noticed that.

GojiDog
G-Grasper

Post by GojiDog »

It gets an A from me.

Loved the political satire and overall approach, and the new additions to Godzilla in this film set the film apart from most others in the series.

And there are some moments here that rank up with some of the finest moments in the history of the series.
Last edited by GojiDog on Thu Apr 19, 2018 10:21 am, edited 1 time in total.
White Male Genocide is necessary.

Kill all white men.

kamilleblu
G-Grasper

Post by kamilleblu »

GojiDog wrote:And there are some moments here that rank up with some of the finest moments in the history of the series.
Did you ever doubt it? Shinji Higuchi is saving the genre one intellectual property at a time.

KingKong2005
EDF Instructor

Post by KingKong2005 »

I honestly am stuck between giving Shin Gojira a D or C. I'm leaning towards a D, so a low C-. It was just incredibly boring!!! It had forgetful characters and a boring Godzilla. I get what they were going for and it could have been done beautifully, but it was just poorly executed.
Image Image