Give Shin Godzilla a Letter Grade

For the discussion of Shin Godzilla, Godzilla -1.0, the anime trilogy, Godzilla Singular Point and Toho produced and distributed films after 2015. Includes US movies financed by Toho like Detective Pikachu.

What grade do you give Shin Godzilla?

A
61%
B
25%
C
7%
D
5%
F
3%

Total votes: 182

Dannybeane
Monsterland Worker

Re: Give Shin Godzilla a Letter Grade

Post by Dannybeane »

My original grade after having watched it in theaters was in the C+/B- area. After watching it a few more times and really digesting it, its an A-. Its definitely a worthy addition to the franchise.

GargantuaTarantula
Samurai

Post by GargantuaTarantula »

I'm giving it a C. I liked it, just not as much as I thought I would. I said it in another thread but there was a certain anime vibe to it that I wasn't a huge fan of. The earlier forms of Godzilla were also a little too grotesque for my liking. Overall it was okay but I wouldn't be upset if this was just a one off.

Tyrant_Lizard_King
Sazer

Post by Tyrant_Lizard_King »

Even as a fan I kinda feel this film needs to be a standalone. I usually do not like open ended films (especially in horror movies) but the "is it over?" ending works better without a sequel if you ask me.
Rocker, paleo buff, cryptid enthusiast, Dragonball fanatic, and lover of comic book, video game, manga, & anime babes!
Follow me on Twitter, if you dare! https://twitter.com/TLK_1983

Variola
JXSDF Technician

Post by Variola »

Tyrant_Lizard_King wrote:Even as a fan I kinda feel this film needs to be a standalone. I usually do not like open ended films (especially in horror movies) but the "is it over?" ending works better without a sequel if you ask me.
Totally agreed. I love the movie, but I also hope it's a one=off.

2009MECHAGODZILLA
Futurian

Post by 2009MECHAGODZILLA »

i giv an A
it good
might watch again once or twice.
actually liked the human scenes as much as shin's scenes
Last edited by 2009MECHAGODZILLA on Thu Dec 08, 2016 1:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
viewtopic.php?f=19&t=21114

Commission prices: https://www.deviantart.com/snake151/jou ... -848926845
"Disappointing! Re-watch the 1954 original. THAT is the correct form!!!"

Godzillabrawler
Monarch Researcher

Post by Godzillabrawler »

GargantuaTarantula wrote:I said it in another thread but there was a certain anime vibe to it that I wasn't a huge fan of. The earlier forms of Godzilla were also a little too grotesque for my liking.
See, to grade it myself, I want to use your points here as a springboard. I hope you don't mind.

I personally liked the fact that this film felt more crazy and anime-like. Godzilla's scary designs and overall his new abilities and origin are what made me appreciate the film more than 2014. It's very easily recognizable as Godzilla, but it changes things in ways that got me to think about the character and the story for much longer than the 2014 film did. Hell, the fact that there are theories that Godzilla could evolve into different forms? Evolve to fly, even? Was he influenced by human genetics? What did Goro Maki do to the creature that made it do what it did? Was he even involved? All of this stuff was what made the film great in my eyes. A Godzilla film that makes me theorize and think is something I haven't experienced yet.

The new powers, just their absurdity, also were part of the appeal to me. God damn spray-and-pray back beams and a tail beam, as well as the way his body temperature worked with his breath were all very interesting changes to me and it was a blast seeing them all on screen. In addition, I appreciated the way the military handled his march and the diplomatic tensions involved. I don't know much about Japanese politics, but the fact that the film pokes at their bureaucracy and Japan's reliance on outsiders was an interesting watch for me. I didn't know much about that kind of thing and it was pretty good at relaying the info to me. I liked the characters and even though the whole thing was mostly political discussion it never got boring to me. I always felt like I was being moved forward, something was happening.

I personally loved the destruction and the special effects. Overall, the film just scratched my itch for a new Godzilla that wasn't afraid to poke in different directions. And as for this film being stand-alone? Honestly, that's part of the appeal. If this Godzilla existed alongside some other monsters or aliens or mechs, I think it would lose some of the appeal. The film set out and accomplished what it meant to, and so I think continuing this story is kind of unnecessary. That said, I'm hoping IDW convinces Toho to do a mini series of sorts to play with the Godzilla in this film and the evolutionary angle he presents, but it would mostly just be for popcorn fun.

I give Shin Godzilla an A. It's stuck with me longer than 2014 did and was very fresh. I was entertained the whole way through.
Spoiler:
I want to make it clear I'm not slagging off on G14. I liked it too, it's just "average" for me. But Godzilla 2 should prove pleasing if we get monster brawls out the wazoo with Rodan, Mothra, and Ghidorah. The promise of more was the best part of G14 for me.
"There's two things you don't know about the Earth. One is me. And the other is... Godzilla."

F4ZaTE_X
Terminated
Terminated

Post by F4ZaTE_X »

I give it a B for I'm Buying it
Last edited by F4ZaTE_X on Tue Dec 13, 2016 3:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Derzerb wrote:And his name is WARNED USER

Lain Of The Wired
Terminated
Terminated

Post by Lain Of The Wired »

I give it a B, very entertaining
Never forget tadpole :godzilla:

BlankAccount
Sazer

Post by BlankAccount »

Tyrant_Lizard_King wrote:Even as a fan I kinda feel this film needs to be a standalone. I usually do not like open ended films (especially in horror movies) but the "is it over?" ending works better without a sequel if you ask me.
I kind of agree. I feel this movie was such a uniquely weird movie that a sequel will cheapen it. Let's see another realities Godzilla (and we are with the anime). Not like we haven't been seeing different realities the past 15+ years.

Jomei
Futurian

Post by Jomei »

Absolutely A. It's one of the best films in the franchise.
XxHeiseifanxX wrote:Can we lower age limit! There are TOO MANY HEISEI HATERS!!!
Thatguy4683 wrote: Mon Mar 11, 2024 4:04 pmWhat? Is this a joke? What gonna on here?
♡ Can't Bin the Shin! Can't Bin the Shin! Can't Bin the Shin! Can't Bin the Shin! Can't Bin the Shin!♡
Challenge me to a Pokémon battle

LSD Jellyfish
Administrator
Administrator

Post by LSD Jellyfish »

Jomei wrote:Absolutely A. It's one of the best films in the franchise.
Nice to see you back.

I'll second that. Not to sound like a know it all, but I've seen the film 7 times now, the last two recently. I'm bringing this up because when I said I loved it a few months ago and said its one of my favorites a lot of people gave me flack for loving the most recent newest film. Yet I feel the same way with a less biased mind.
Spirit Ghidorah 2010 wrote: Sun Dec 03, 2023 4:54 pm Anno-san pleasures me more than Yamasaki-san.

Jomei
Futurian

Post by Jomei »

LSD Jellyfish wrote:
Nice to see you back.

I'll second that. Not to sound like a know it all, but I've seen the film 7 times now, the last two recently. I'm bringing this up because when I said I loved it a few months ago and said its one of my favorites a lot of people gave me flack for loving the most recent newest film. Yet I feel the same way with a less biased mind.
Yeah I saw it first thing in the morning opening day and have seen it seven or eight times now, and my opinion has only improved after the excitement wore off.
XxHeiseifanxX wrote:Can we lower age limit! There are TOO MANY HEISEI HATERS!!!
Thatguy4683 wrote: Mon Mar 11, 2024 4:04 pmWhat? Is this a joke? What gonna on here?
♡ Can't Bin the Shin! Can't Bin the Shin! Can't Bin the Shin! Can't Bin the Shin! Can't Bin the Shin!♡
Challenge me to a Pokémon battle

Beef Bigshot
Xilien Halfling

Post by Beef Bigshot »

To keep it simple, I think ill agree. The film not only has a great commentary on the politics of Japan, but also has good effects. Also, any film with politics memes is good by me
Resized Image

Tyrant_Lizard_King
Sazer

Post by Tyrant_Lizard_King »

Disappointed I wasn't able to see it a second time and I refuse to watch a cut version. The bad Engrish and English speaking actors are the primary things that take me out of the film. I'm very curious to hear Funimation's dub when it's released. Hopefully it will help fix those problems for me.
Rocker, paleo buff, cryptid enthusiast, Dragonball fanatic, and lover of comic book, video game, manga, & anime babes!
Follow me on Twitter, if you dare! https://twitter.com/TLK_1983

ShinGi
Interpol Agent

Post by ShinGi »

Tyrant_Lizard_King wrote:Disappointed I wasn't able to see it a second time and I refuse to watch a cut version. The bad Engrish and English speaking actors are the primary things that take me out of the film. I'm very curious to hear Funimation's dub when it's released. Hopefully it will help fix those problems for me.

Are we getting a dub? I ve heard no info on a dub.

Lain Of The Wired
Terminated
Terminated

Post by Lain Of The Wired »

ShinGi wrote:
Tyrant_Lizard_King wrote:Disappointed I wasn't able to see it a second time and I refuse to watch a cut version. The bad Engrish and English speaking actors are the primary things that take me out of the film. I'm very curious to hear Funimation's dub when it's released. Hopefully it will help fix those problems for me.

? Um, duh? Of course it'll get a dub.
Never forget tadpole :godzilla:

ShinGi
Interpol Agent

Post by ShinGi »

Lain Of The Wired wrote:
ShinGi wrote:

? Um, duh? Of course it'll get a dub.
Im not really a fan of dubs, but its nice that we are getting one.

Futurian

Post by 3000 »

I would give it a solid B. Definitely in my top five Godzilla film list. some elements of it are things that kind of bother me, mainly a super weak third act and a lack of personality for Godzilla himself but overall I am impressed by the overall quality of the film. Nice to get a Godzilla film from Japan that isnt super hokey (lookin at you, millenium series)
Member of TK Since 2006

SoleMan
G-Grasper

Post by SoleMan »

I give it an "漢-" best movie of the year, in my opinion.

If you're looking for a numerical score, I'd rate it an e/10 (Though it is a close π/10)
Before it can be filmed, drawn, acted or programed, it must be written.

GodzillaBurgh
G-Force Personnel

Post by GodzillaBurgh »

SHIN GODZILLA is the reason I watched and loved EVANGELION. AAA+ !!!! :huge:
"Just as you distrust us, so we distrust others as well. It's wrong. We're all human. As humans we are responsible to each other. We are related. Refuse us, and you will abandon your brothers. We must learn to help each other."
- Sakai, Godzilla vs. The Thing