Monster Hunter the Movie!?

For the discussion of Shin Godzilla, Godzilla -1.0, the anime trilogy, Godzilla Singular Point and Toho produced and distributed films after 2015. Includes US movies financed by Toho like Detective Pikachu.
BlankAccount
Sazer

Re: Monster Hunter the Movie!?

Post by BlankAccount »

Tyrant_Lizard_King wrote: Sat Dec 05, 2020 11:03 pm This is China we're talking about here. Anything remotely anti-Chinese is gonna get cut or altered.
I know but I seriously doubt the filmmakers were trying to insult China since they are literally marketing this movie to them for the biggest profit possible. You don't intentionally insult the biggest market.

Giratina93
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Giratina93 »

Living Corpse wrote: Sun Dec 06, 2020 12:49 am
Tyrant_Lizard_King wrote: Sat Dec 05, 2020 11:03 pm This is China we're talking about here. Anything remotely anti-Chinese is gonna get cut or altered.
I know but I seriously doubt the filmmakers were trying to insult China since they are literally marketing this movie to them for the biggest profit possible. You don't intentionally insult the biggest market.
It DOES however show how stupid Paul Anderson is for even thinking such a thing would be acceptable. Like, you make a movie that is going to be distributed by Tencent, and that you KNOW is going to make the vast bulk of its profits in China... And then you throw in a joke that is blatantly referring to an old racist jeer "Chinese, Japanese, Dirty Knees/These Knees" AND PINPOINTED AS SUCH BY THE SUBTITLES... Like, what the actual hell do you THINK is going to happen?! Did every single one of his brain cells short circuit when he decided to throw that in? There's shooting yourself in the foot, and then there's priming a grenade, throwing it, and intentionally stepping on it so your entire lower torso gets blown off. THAT is what he did with this.

Honestly, I wouldn't be surprised if all of his future endeavors get blacklisted in China over this. And THAT would be a death blow to Anderson's carreer, since China's overtaken the US as the primary marketplace to make a profit, and if China wants nothing to do with your shit... No one going to be going to Anderson for their projects if there's the very high likelihood there's no way for anything he does to make a profit anymore. Anderson's always been smart about ensuring his films make a profit (Being as low budget as possible, getting military backing for this movie hence the Isekai plot), but this is just so unfathomably short sighted, so bone-brained stupid, you can only stare and wonder what the actual hell was he thinking? Hell, I'm shocked this joke got past Chinese censorship in the first place, considering how strict they usually are about this...

And people say PR:U having its climax be set in Japan and having its main Chinese character play an antagonistic role initially was a bad look for Chinese audiences... Nevermind that the movie's already getting lambasted and Monster Hunter World getting review bombed on Steam over "Good game, but racist movie"...
Come read my latest Fanfiction: Daily Life at the Cheshire Cafe

GotengoXGodzilla wrote: It could be said that kaiju regeneration is like human dodging, basically.
GotengoXGodzilla wrote:That's not Mothra, that's an ugly goddamn demon!

master_of_monsters
EDF Instructor

Post by master_of_monsters »

holy crap this is worse than the final update of iceborne
your source of self destruction

LSD Jellyfish
Administrator
Administrator

Post by LSD Jellyfish »

I think it's a stupid pun gone wrong,"Chi-knees" and it's believable that it's unintentional, but at the same time it's something that someone at some point should have said, "Ey, that's not such a good idea isn't it? Even the pun itself is bound to upset someone, especially given China's political censorship. I honestly didn't know about the racist jeer, but if that's true, as in someone intentionally included that, then yeah that's fucked up.

Oh well. Also is this movie part of the streaming deal? When will this get released?
Spirit Ghidorah 2010 wrote: Sun Dec 03, 2023 4:54 pm Anno-san pleasures me more than Yamasaki-san.

JesstrK
G-Force Personnel

Post by JesstrK »

LSD Jellyfish wrote: Mon Dec 07, 2020 2:31 pm Also is this movie part of the streaming deal? When will this get released?
It actually got its release moved up to December 18, still to be released in theaters. Kind of refreshing to see something I’m looking forward to not get delayed but actually get moved up for once. Look, I’m not kidding myself; I know it probably won’t be great. But I love the games so I’ll probably find some enjoyment, and it’s been such a long time since I’ve seen a movie in theaters; heck it’s been a long time since any movie I’ve had any interest in actually got released. I’m hyped to actually go see a movie this year. That being said, I’m not throwing caution to the wind; I did a search and found there’s actually a couple drive in theaters within an hour from me so I’m gonna see it there. Heck, that’s probably how I’ll see GvK as well. Big screen experience (at the sacrifice of theater sound quality) but safe.

https://www.ign.com/articles/monster-hu ... ie-delayed
Last edited by JesstrK on Wed Dec 09, 2020 10:46 am, edited 3 times in total.

Gigantis
Sazer

Post by Gigantis »

I find it kinda weird this one's still going straigh to theatre. Understand the fact it's not a big tentpole movie but.. odd.

A guy who randomly stumbled upon this place one day, invested much too much time into it, and now appears to be stuck here for all eternity..and strangely enough, i do not regret it!

Moth
G-Grasper

Post by Moth »

I probably won't see this film.

But I will see "MONSTER HUNTER (2020) ALL MONSTER SCENES HD 4K" on youtube!
Chris55 wrote: Godzilla: Green bikini edition
Major sssspielberg! wrote: Mon Feb 27, 2023 11:24 am Yeah, I saw The Room thinking it would be fun and got stuck behind a guy yelling "EAT HIS ASS" the entire movie. It was awful.
Jomei wrote: Wed Nov 29, 2023 6:13 pm It sounds like Yamazaki has delivered the Extra Large KINO Pie with extra Gojironi.

:Mothra61: sticking out your gyatt for the rizzler :Mothra61:

Spuro
Keizer

Post by Spuro »

This movie had more car crashes than a Monster Hunter adaption should ever have.

The action was good. The chemistry between the two leads was good, at least when they weren't beating each other up for no reason. That's about it.
eabaker wrote: You can't parse duende.
Breakdown wrote: HP Lovecraft's cat should be the ultimate villain of the MonsterVerse.

Giratina93
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Giratina93 »

Kaiju-King42 wrote: Sat Feb 20, 2021 5:39 am This movie had more car crashes than a Monster Hunter adaption should ever have.

The action was good. The chemistry between the two leads was good, at least when they weren't beating each other up for no reason. That's about it.
Can vouch. Movie is the big dumb and just plain bad. Constant cutaways and just really bad editing, hideous pacing issues with a lot of interesting ideas never fleshed out or given the time they need, and plagued by a bland setting which is a crime because the games have so much variety in their ecosystems, but no, Paul Anderson needed this to be on a micro-budget, so shoot 90% of the movie in a desert. And the real biggest sin of this movie is the bland/bad music, which should NEVER be associated with anything Monster Hunter. Was it too expensive to get the rights to some iconic tunes or revamping them?

The movie just felt like Paul Anderson still being stuck in Resident Evil Mode when he made it, so the tone also did not match what the series is meant to be at all, with us stuck with some weird survival horror tone instead of a grand adventure. The only good thing about the movie was the monster designs being largely accurate (Poor Nerscylla), but even that's only because the game heads were there to make sure they looked and sounded accurate.
Last edited by Giratina93 on Sat Feb 20, 2021 10:33 am, edited 1 time in total.
Come read my latest Fanfiction: Daily Life at the Cheshire Cafe

GotengoXGodzilla wrote: It could be said that kaiju regeneration is like human dodging, basically.
GotengoXGodzilla wrote:That's not Mothra, that's an ugly goddamn demon!

Cryptid_Liker
Xilien Halfling

Post by Cryptid_Liker »

Finally saw this movie. It was pretty good, especially when the monsters were on-screen. The fact that I was able to get invested enough to ignore how atrocious Nerscylla looks says a lot.

I do wish that Rathalos had a better final fight, though.